Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Jan 17, 9:22 AM
    • 24,213Posts
    • 50,924Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Bookworm's Thread 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 9:22 AM
    The Bookworm's Thread 2017 1st Jan 17 at 9:22 AM
    Welcome to 2017 friends and fellow lovers of literature, and year 2 of the MSE Bookworm's Thread.

Same principals as the 2016 thread, which can be found here, rate it and recommend it if you can. All tastes and genres are welcome. The more we know about the book, the better! I shall again aim for a book a week, let's see if it happens this year

Happy reading in 2017!

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 24
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 24th Sep 17, 10:47 AM
    • 24,213 Posts
    • 50,924 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 41:

8/10. It took me a ridiculously long time to read this - started in June but made an effort and read the remaining 200 pages this weekend. Because I have a theoretical interest in economics, this really brought policy to life. I was much less fussed about his personal than political life, the book was littered with justifications that sounded like a bunch of excuses. But the insight into resilience was the initial reason I wanted to read it, and I was not disappointed.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 27th Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    • 24,213 Posts
    • 50,924 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I've just heard the most amazing interview on the radio. When I heard the title I thought yawn, here we go again, and argument for legalising the trade.....but the woman behind the book is in fact quite brilliant. Published 10 days ago and P'inned to my wishlist

The interview is on today's edition of Woman's Hour, between 10.15-10.25am. Well worth catching up on!

• Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 27th Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    • 4,659 Posts
    • 56,917 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Just finished this:

Fascinating glimpse into the Underground Railroad, which was the network of routes to freedom for runaway slaves. The story centres on an English Quaker girl, Honor Bright, who travels to America with her soon-to-be-wed sister, but finds herself stranded there alone following a tragedy. 9/10

Now I'm reading this, which I'm finding heavier going, about an extremely dysfunctional family (bizarrely named Goodenough) eking out a living in the Black Swamp area of Ohio. I'm persevering, but it's not much fun. 7/10

Last edited by Serendipitious; 27-09-2017 at 3:14 PM.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 82.74 Oct - not much; Nov - probably even less

• pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 27th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    • 23,160 Posts
    • 60,002 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I loved The Last Runaway. Not read the next, yet.

Just collected the next book for our group. It's The Nightingale, which I've only just finished. It was only ok, so not struck on the idea of reading it again, especially so soon.
    Last edited by pollypenny; 27-09-2017 at 8:55 PM.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 30th Sep 17, 8:45 AM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 7,521 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I finished the Anticancer book last night. It was very interesting as it had a lot of information about the most healthy foods and showed the links between stress and health. It didn't just apply to people suffering from cancer as it could help people living with other chronic conditions.

The next book I read will probably be fictional as I have read a lot of health books in a row. I have some on my kindle so I will just look through them tomorrow and see what I fancy.

Oh yes, I said (to myself, lol) that I wasn't allowed to buy any new books in October until I have finished all the ones I have at home and on my kindle.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 1st Oct 17, 2:07 AM
    • 2,015 Posts
    • 14,542 Thanks
    greentiger
    Finished "War Brides", which I did enjoy although I'd not usually choose this. There was a twist in the end that I did not anticipate. I didn't like that some loose ends were tied up. I still recommend it.

This my current book,
    The Anubis Gates by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr
    Another from outside my comfort zone.
    Stashbusting 177/200
    17 in 17 Challenge 17/17
    Reading Challenge 23/40
    Film Challenge 36/52
    • Syman
    • By Syman 1st Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 2,376 Posts
    • 5,894 Thanks
    Syman
    Book 40 for the year

You cant help but like Guy Martin. Puts his heart and soul into the projects he works on.
    This was a very easy, enjoyable and above all interesting read.

Next on the list is
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2017 reading Challenge total :- 51/30
    • Syman
    • By Syman 5th Oct 17, 8:18 PM
    • 2,376 Posts
    • 5,894 Thanks
    Syman

Finished this book. well worth reading. lots of plot twists that kept things interesting. 5*.

Next is the collection of Jack Reacher short stories - "No Middle Name"

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 6th Oct 17, 10:55 AM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 7,521 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    ^ That looks quite good, I might read that one.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 16th Oct 17, 11:31 PM
    • 4,659 Posts
    • 56,917 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Just fnished this. Excellent read, although the way the theme is used reminded me of Chocolat in many ways, an unexpected arrival, the action being centred around a shop, the healing properties of the items sold, the star-crossed lovers, the peripheral comic characters, threats of disaster from external forces and so on. Most enjoyable.

It was yet another 2017 novel from the library. The local budget must be good this year.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 82.74 Oct - not much; Nov - probably even less

• camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 17th Oct 17, 7:03 AM
    • 3,591 Posts
    • 41,855 Thanks
    camelot1001
    I've just finished 'Flawed' and 'Perfect' by Cecelia Ahern and really enjoyed them.
    • Hobsons Choice
    • By Hobsons Choice 17th Oct 17, 6:12 PM
    • 1,015 Posts
    • 7,070 Thanks
    Hobsons Choice
    Just read "The Girl in the Red Coat" by Kate Hamer - read it in one sitting!
    A real page turner but I'm now suffering from sleep deprivation
    Normal people worry me.
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 25th Oct 17, 10:23 PM
    • 2,015 Posts
    • 14,542 Thanks
    greentiger
    I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed Tim Powers's "The Anubis Gates."

After that I laughed my way through

holiday by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr

I'll be looking out for more of his books, I'm sure.

My current read is

queen by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr

Again, not a usual genre for me, but it seems to be an easy read. Found out that it is the 6th book in the series and I haven't read the others. I chose it because it was about Mary Stuart.
    Stashbusting 177/200
    17 in 17 Challenge 17/17
    Reading Challenge 23/40
    Film Challenge 36/52
    • UnluckyT
    • By UnluckyT 27th Oct 17, 8:29 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 1,310 Thanks
    UnluckyT
    i know its a bit late in the year, but can i join please.
    i'm normally quite a bookworm, but have struggled a bit this year.
    better late than never though.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 27th Oct 17, 10:50 PM
    • 24,213 Posts
    • 50,924 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    i know its a bit late in the year, but can i join please.
    i'm normally quite a bookworm, but have struggled a bit this year.
    better late than never though.
    Originally posted by UnluckyT
    Yes please do, all contributions are welcome!

• loocyloo
    • By loocyloo 28th Oct 17, 10:32 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    loocyloo
    I've just read 'I am Pilgrim' ... can't remember if I've seen it recommended here?!

I loved it. I'm a quick reader, but it took me 10 days to read, as I had to read the first half or so in very short bursts, as I found so intense and I just couldn't concentrate/compute the story if I read more than that! ( although, I have recently been poorly on strong meds, so that may have been a contributory factor! )

Also been reading the Kate Shackleton books by Frances Brody. Another series set in 1920's. very enjoyable.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 28th Oct 17, 5:28 PM
    • 23,160 Posts
    • 60,002 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Just finished The Skin Collector, by Jeffrey Deaver. It's another Lincoln Rhyme thriller - excellent!

That man creates so many twists!

Not to self - keep off thrillers, now. I think I'll have another go at Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch. I do have a Rachel Joyce waiting, too.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Hobsons Choice
    • By Hobsons Choice 28th Oct 17, 6:21 PM
    • 1,015 Posts
    • 7,070 Thanks
    Hobsons Choice
    I've read all the Philippa Gregory books and loved them.
    I've also read all the Jeffrey Deaver books and loved them.
    I have eclectic taste methinks... but if it's a good story well told, bring it on!
    Normal people worry me.
    • gt568
    • By gt568 28th Oct 17, 6:24 PM
    • 1,628 Posts
    • 2,484 Thanks
    gt568
    https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/304536/the-holocaust/

The Holocaust - A New History by Laurence Rees

Fascinating, but harrowing read.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • Syman
    • By Syman 29th Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 2,376 Posts
    • 5,894 Thanks
    Syman

This my current book,
    The Anubis Gates by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr
    Another from outside my comfort zone.
    Originally posted by greentiger
    I have had this on my kindle for ages, never got round to reading it. How did/are you get/ting on with it?

reading this now. Third in a series

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

214Posts Today

1,426Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin