Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Jan 17, 9:22 AM
    • 23,889Posts
    • 50,111Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Bookworm's Thread 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 9:22 AM
    The Bookworm's Thread 2017 1st Jan 17 at 9:22 AM
    Welcome to 2017 friends and fellow lovers of literature, and year 2 of the MSE Bookworm's Thread.

Same principals as the 2016 thread, which can be found here, rate it and recommend it if you can. All tastes and genres are welcome. The more we know about the book, the better! I shall again aim for a book a week, let's see if it happens this year

Happy reading in 2017!

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 23
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Sep 17, 10:01 PM
    • 23,889 Posts
    • 50,111 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I've enjoyed catching up on this thread this evening. I read quite a few books last month!
    Welcome blackcatsx2

I have just finished reading Nobody's Child by Kate Adie. This book is all about the plight of foundling or abandoned children. It is a well researched book and the personal stories are extraordinary, moving and inspiring.
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125
    Book 37 on sugarbaby's recommendation!

9/10 A wonderfully researched and eye-opening book, and excellent lesson in social history. I was expecting an anthology of sob stories and this was anything but. An amazing book but so very sad

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 10th Sep 17, 11:03 PM
    • 4,493 Posts
    • 55,203 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    From the library...

Published 2017

Set in the Arctic, the day after tomorrow.

Brilliant novel taking climate change issues as its theme. 10/10 for the read, the challenge of the debates, the plot - in fact the lot.

Unputdownable in many ways.

Best read by a warm fire. I needed a hot water bottle.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 82.74 Oct - not much; Nov - probably even less

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Sep 17, 5:51 PM
    • 23,889 Posts
    • 50,111 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 38:

6/10. I found this interesting to start with, as it helped me understand the perspective of an autistic woman, and directed me to some useful reference material. It provided some useful insights but as I proceeded (it was stretched out for longer than necessary) I just found the author to be completely self-absorbed. Which is fair enough, I suppose - as the book was about her! I've read autobiographies where the author is less so.

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Sep 17, 7:44 AM
    • 23,889 Posts
    • 50,111 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Has anyone come across this website, that tells you how long a book will take to read?

To test it, I typed in my nemesis "Ulysses". Apparently it should take 5 hours and 50 minutes to read. Wrong: it's been in my bookshelf for 20 years and I still haven't got past p6

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Sep 17, 7:52 AM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 6,530 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm reading another health book.
    Healing Without Freud or Prozac: Natural approaches to curing stress, anxiety and depression - David Servan-Schreiber.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Sep 17, 8:04 AM
    • 23,889 Posts
    • 50,111 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm reading another health book.
    Healing Without Freud or Prozac: Natural approaches to curing stress, anxiety and depression - David Servan-Schreiber.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    Does it work?

I don't buy into Freud myself. But I have seen good results with Prozac

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Sep 17, 8:11 AM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 6,530 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Does it work?

I don't buy into Freud myself. But I have seen good results with Prozac
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Well, I only started reading it yesterday. He breaks it down into 7 sections to try.

1. Meditation
    2. EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing)
    3. Gradually Waking Up Using a Light Box
    4. Acupuncture
    5. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
    6. Exercise
    7. Social Interaction

I already do mindfulness meditation and have recently started doing it again and it does work for me with anxiety. I have a physical health problem and I was thinking of trying acupuncture anyway. I tried it once and didn't really notice anything, but then there wasn't anything wrong with me at the time, lol.

One thing I'm going to try and make sure I have is Omega-3 as I'm vegan and am not very careful about that. Flaxseeds in smoothies or on porridge, I think.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Sep 17, 8:15 AM
    • 23,889 Posts
    • 50,111 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    One thing I'm going to try and make sure I have is Omega-3 as I'm vegan and am not very careful about that. Flaxseeds in smoothies or on porridge, I think.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    Same here (veggie). But I cannot stand flax seeds, dread to think what they do to my insides. 1, 6 and 7 are known to work. Omega-3s have other health benefits.

But I digress. You may want to read 59 seconds by Richard Wiseman.

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Sep 17, 8:24 AM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 6,530 Thanks
    Wednesday2000

You may want to read 59 seconds by Richard Wiseman.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    That looks interesting from the Am*zon reviews. I probably will read it, thanks.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 12th Sep 17, 8:37 AM
    • 22,876 Posts
    • 59,021 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Vegetarian here, too. And not careful about anything until the last few years. I started taking B12 as I realised I had far tongue every time I was away from home and marmite. None in Boots at the moment.

Books - just finished the first Jeffrey Deaver that wasn't that good. The Kill Room was plodding.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Sep 17, 8:22 AM
    • 23,889 Posts
    • 50,111 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 39:

9/10. So wonderfully compelling and poignant, I just couldn't put it down. A bit of fiction for a change, that incorporated subjects of interest: slavery and female emancipation. Sue Monk Kidd is such a gifted writer.

• pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 13th Sep 17, 8:50 AM
    • 22,876 Posts
    • 59,021 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Oh, loved The Invention of Wings!

In fact, I think I'll add it to the request list for the book group.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Sep 17, 10:40 PM
    • 23,889 Posts
    • 50,111 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 40:

7/10. I found the anatomical explanations early in the book basic and tedious, but the last third was redeeming, offering historical insight. Strangely there was some commonality with the Kate Adie I'd read a few days before! I think this probably enhanced my enjoyment of the book, as did the human side of things. Mortuary technicians are very professional, and to be commended.

• JordieLee
    • By JordieLee 15th Sep 17, 1:31 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    JordieLee
    I'm currently reading 11.22.63 on my kindle and a PJ Tracy paperback that I can't remember the name of lol
    Debt - £186.72 of £9,422.13

Savings - £176 of £2000
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 16th Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    • 1,231 Posts
    • 6,530 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm going to see what book I can finish today. I know I started a few books on my kindle at the same time (bad habit of mine) so I will try and finish one at least today.

I like Saturday mornings as I usually catch up with the Think, Save, Retire blog and the Monevator blog too.
    • CurlyTop
    • By CurlyTop 16th Sep 17, 11:52 AM
    • 332 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    CurlyTop
    I'm currently reading 11.22.63 on my kindle and a PJ Tracy paperback that I can't remember the name of lol
    Originally posted by JordieLee

Haven't read the book but saw the programme last year when it was on Fox tv, or should I say my DH did. I half watched it. Worth watching.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
    • loocyloo
    • By loocyloo 16th Sep 17, 3:01 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    loocyloo
    I've just read

really good, and not the outcome I predicted :0)

I've not come across this author before, and am looking forward to reading the next book in the series, 'persons unknown' and a 'stand alone' called 'Homecoming'.

I seem to be stalling on crime/similar type fiction at the moment. I keep picking up other books from the library but can't get into anything!
    Originally posted by loocyloo

I'm reading 'persons unknown' at the moment, and although I will finish it, not sure I will particularly bother with reading any more in this series.

I've just read a JD ROBB ' In Death ... ' I thought I'd read them all, but was pleasantly surprised to find one I hadn't! ( but can't remember the title now! ) I enjoy Eve Dallas and all her friends, and reading about life in whichever year it is! 2060something!
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 20th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 4,493 Posts
    • 55,203 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Just finished this.

In the small settlement of Motherlode, a group of disparate characters have set up a community, held together by the formidable Emaline, hostess of the Wayside Inn. It is there that Alex, on the run from something and disguised as a teenage boy, finds refuge. But once she strikes gold, buried secrets are revealed and danger surrounds her.

An interesting insight into how communities emerged around potentially successful gold seams. Emaline is a natural entrepreneur.

Bought this brand new from a charity bookshelf in Tesco for 30p. There seem to be a lot of these around lately - my MnS FoodHall has one, and I've seen them in other shops as well. They are unmanned but there's an 'honesty box' for payment, as well as an invitation to add donations of unwanted books to the stock.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 82.74 Oct - not much; Nov - probably even less

• Hobsons Choice
    • By Hobsons Choice 20th Sep 17, 4:32 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 7,063 Thanks
    Hobsons Choice
    Reading "Good Me Bad Me" a first novel from Ali Land. It's told with the voice of a 15/16year old girl now being fostered while her mother is on trial for killing nine children. She was a witness to the killings and I'm now at the point where she has to give evidence against her mother.
    Gripping and compulsive reading. Recommended.
    Normal people worry me.
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 20th Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 14,434 Thanks
    greentiger
    I've read a few books since I was last on.
    Jane Eyre by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr
    I'd forgotten how this ended!

Katy by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr
    a book from my childhood - I actually received this as a prize for "general excellence" in primary school!

Jeffery by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr
    always enjoy his books; this didn't disappoint

Hundredth by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr
    fantasy: not a genre I'd usually choose, but I did enjoy this. It's the first in a series, so I may even read the rest!

war by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr
    just started this one; again I'd not normally choose it, but it's fine so far.
    Stashbusting 165/200
    17 in 17 Challenge 16/17
    Reading Challenge 23/40
    Film Challenge 34/52
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,466Posts Today

7,083Users online

Martin's Twitter