Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Jan 17, 9:22 AM
    • 23,895Posts
    • 50,127Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Bookworm's Thread 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 9:22 AM
    The Bookworm's Thread 2017 1st Jan 17 at 9:22 AM
    Welcome to 2017 friends and fellow lovers of literature, and year 2 of the MSE Bookworm's Thread.

Same principals as the 2016 thread, which can be found here, rate it and recommend it if you can. All tastes and genres are welcome. The more we know about the book, the better! I shall again aim for a book a week, let's see if it happens this year

Happy reading in 2017!

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 22
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 18th Aug 17, 1:00 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 6,028 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I have just finished Mosquito by Roma Tearne. I loved the really descriptive language the author used. She made Sri Lanka come alive for me. This book is set at the time of the Civil War in Sri Lanka, but it is about abiding Love, keeping the faith and hope. I would give this book 9.5/10
    • Hobsons Choice
    • By Hobsons Choice 20th Aug 17, 5:39 PM
    • 1,014 Posts
    • 7,063 Thanks
    Hobsons Choice
    I've just finished the new Philippa Gregory "The Last Tudor" (half price @ Waterstones).
    I've read all her previous books and am usually first in line when a new book comes out. This one was brilliant and I absolutely loved it. Didn't know much about Lady Jane Grey and her sisters so reading this has been a revelation - although I realise it's "faction" to make the read more entertaining.
    Recommended.
    Normal people worry me.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 24th Aug 17, 5:22 PM
    • 22,897 Posts
    • 59,118 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Had a really good discussion on The Wonder, by Emma Donoghue this morning in book group.

Initially, most said they didn't like it, but after few questions from me and reflecting in the setting, character development, motives, themes etc, they all decided it was very interesting.

I love it when things work like that. Like being back with a good A-level class - but no marking of essays at the end!

We have Helen Dunmore's The Exposure next. I like her work.

Reading Conclave by Robert Harris now.
    Last edited by pollypenny; 25-08-2017 at 9:04 AM.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 24th Aug 17, 8:17 PM
    • 2,894 Posts
    • 7,900 Thanks
    Callie22
    Had a really good discussion on The Wonder, by Emma Donoghue this morning in book group.

Initially, most said they didn't like it, but after few questions from me and reflecting in the setting, character development, motives, themes etc, they all decided it was very interesting.

I love it when things work like that. Like being back with a good A-level class - but no marking of essays at the end!

We have Helen Dunmore's The Exposure next. I like her work.

Reading The Conclave by Robert Harris now.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    I read The Wonder recently and thought it was interesting, but it did feel that there was quite a lot of the book that was repetitive 'padding', especially in the second half. I just felt that a big chunk of it could have disappeared without affecting the story or the pace.

I love Helen Dunmore too - I was so sad to hear of her death recently, she was such a talented writer. A Spell of Winter is probably my favourite novel of hers, despite the very dark subject matter.
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 28th Aug 17, 10:32 PM
    • 4,496 Posts
    • 55,231 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Hope everyone's had a lovely Bank Holiday weekend.

My latest library choices turned out to be not very exciting, they were all default selections as I couldn't actually find any that I'd shortlisted from here. Hopefully next time will be better.

But I found this list of Mood-Boosting books, some of which look interesting:

http://reading-well.org.uk/books/mood-boosting-books/chosen-by-reading-groups-2016
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 82.74 Oct - not much; Nov - probably even less

• sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 29th Aug 17, 9:25 AM
    • 960 Posts
    • 6,028 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I just finished reading Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly and it was such an engrossing study of the women who were instrumental in the Space Age Program in the USA, yet their stories were not part of the History of the Space Age Program. The most remarkable thing is that most of the women were African American in a time of racial segregation, racism and prejudice and a political landscape that said that women should be satisfied with staying in the home looking after their husbands and children. I would give this book 10/10
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 29th Aug 17, 10:24 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    The Intelligent Body: Reversing Chronic Fatigue and Pain from the Inside Out - K.L.Davies.

"It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 29th Aug 17, 10:57 AM
    • 7,785 Posts
    • 26,109 Thanks
    Primrose
    Dare to Remember - Susanna Beard. Her first book.

Insightful portrayal of the confusion and anguish suffered by a young woman who was attacked and traumatised in an incident in which her close friend died and the guilt she suffers at being the survivor. She has no recall of the incident and and emotionally move on until she can discover whether whether her actions played any part in her friend's death.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 29th Aug 17, 2:11 PM
    • 22,897 Posts
    • 59,118 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I just finished reading Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly and it was such an engrossing study of the women who were instrumental in the Space Age Program in the USA, yet their stories were not part of the History of the Space Age Program. The most remarkable thing is that most of the women were African American in a time of racial segregation, racism and prejudice and a political landscape that said that women should be satisfied with staying in the home looking after their husbands and children. I would give this book 10/10
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125

It was an excellent film. I didn't know who wrote the book, but I will add it to my request list for our book group. Should be typing that up now, in fact.
    Last edited by pollypenny; 30-08-2017 at 8:19 AM. Reason: Typo

• greentiger
    • By greentiger 29th Aug 17, 9:56 PM
    • 2,002 Posts
    • 14,444 Thanks
    greentiger
    Jane Eyre finished - just as good as I remembered.

Next book will be another 'blast from the past'. although more recent. It's "What Katy Did" by Susan Coolidge for "a book you loved as a child".
    Stashbusting 165/200
    17 in 17 Challenge 16/17
    Reading Challenge 23/40
    Film Challenge 36/52
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 30th Aug 17, 6:04 PM
    • 960 Posts
    • 6,028 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I read my copy of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne yesterday and it was so moving. It is better than the excellent film based on this book. I would give this book 9.5/10
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 30th Aug 17, 8:33 PM
    • 2,894 Posts
    • 7,900 Thanks
    Callie22

Next book will be another 'blast from the past'. although more recent. It's "What Katy Did" by Susan Coolidge for "a book you loved as a child".
    Originally posted by greentiger
    I love the Katy books Girls Gone By (a small publisher that reissue lots of old children's books) published the last two in the series a couple of years ago, 'Clover' and 'In the High Valley', which I really enjoyed. A lot of books from that era really don't make for easy reading nowadays, but the Katy books are classics that I'd recommend to anyone.

On an entirely different note, I recently read Jeanette Winterson's autobiography 'Why be happy when you can be normal?', which I thought was really good - funny but also very, very moving. I'm a big fan of her books so it was interesting to read more about her early life, which was certainly very harsh.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 31st Aug 17, 11:27 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I just bought some more books on health from the recommendations on another thread on here. I have so many books lined up to read.

Originally posted by greentiger
    I love Jane Eyre, I have read it quite a few times. It's very sad in places.

What Katy Did, wow, that is a blast from the past!
    • Syman
    • By Syman 2nd Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 5,887 Thanks
    Syman
    I read my copy of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne yesterday and it was so moving. It is better than the excellent film based on this book. I would give this book 9.5/10
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125
    this is one of the best books i have read. the film, whilst very good, does not quite have the subtle menacing characters.

I would recommend this book for everyone to read.

I have just finished

some interesting views, worth reading.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2017 reading Challenge total :- 46/30
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 4th Sep 17, 4:01 PM
    • 4,496 Posts
    • 55,231 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Just by way of a change, this was not a library book. Just finished it.

A lovely literary read - in which I enjoyed the words as much as the story. If you like lingering in language, you'll enjoy this.

I noticed today that one of our libraries does something called A Book at Breakfast - apparently you get tea and toast and a chance to chat about books or just to listen. I have put it on my to-do list.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 82.74 Oct - not much; Nov - probably even less

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 9th Sep 17, 9:18 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    When The Body Says No - Gabor Mate.
    • JordieLee
    • By JordieLee 9th Sep 17, 11:14 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    JordieLee
    It was my birthday a few days ago and I'm getting a £50 amazon gift card as one of my presents (it's not here yet), I use these to buy books for my kindle... soooo recommendations please?

I love Stephen King, Philippa Gregory, Virginia Andrews & Tess Gerritsen. Although I read others too. I love anything haha
    Debt - £186.72 of £9,422.13

Savings - £176 of £2000
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 9th Sep 17, 5:37 PM
    • 22,897 Posts
    • 59,118 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Jeffrey Deaver. His books are the most complex crime novels with twist on twist. He has two favourite detectives, Lincoln Rhyme is one: you may well have seen The Bine Collector, which was his first case. He also has Katherine Dance, who is based on the other side of the country in California.

Also try Stella Rimington's books. MI5 thrillers - all too plausible.

• Syman
    • By Syman 10th Sep 17, 9:01 AM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 5,887 Thanks
    Syman

this is a good read, 4.5 stars (half star lost for the slowish middle bit)
    But all in all a good read.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2017 reading Challenge total :- 46/30
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 10th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm having a duvet day today as I have sinusitis and I feel tired. I started Suicide Forest by Jeremy Bates this morning. It's a horror book that I got free on Daily Books and it's good so far!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

112Posts Today

2,206Users online

Martin's Twitter