Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Jan 17, 9:22 AM
    • 24,209Posts
    • 50,906Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Bookworm's Thread 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 9:22 AM
    The Bookworm's Thread 2017 1st Jan 17 at 9:22 AM
    Welcome to 2017 friends and fellow lovers of literature, and year 2 of the MSE Bookworm's Thread.

Same principals as the 2016 thread, which can be found here, rate it and recommend it if you can. All tastes and genres are welcome. The more we know about the book, the better! I shall again aim for a book a week, let's see if it happens this year

Happy reading in 2017!

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 19
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 13th Jun 17, 10:20 PM
    • 4,655 Posts
    • 56,880 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    I am reading Claire Macintosh's second book and its really good Its called
    'I See You' and I do hope she keeps on writing as her first book 'I Let you Go was pretty good as well.I am hoping she will develop into as good a writer as the late Ruth Rendell. I do like a good mystery thriller with lots of twists and turns

JackieO xxx
    Originally posted by JackieO

I agree entirely, she can't write them quickly enough for me!
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 82.74 Oct - not much; Nov - probably even less

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Jun 17, 7:58 AM
    • 15,623 Posts
    • 127,598 Thanks
    JackieO
    Just read Richard Madeley's book The Night Book and quite enjoyed it ,easy read and quite descriptive lake district scenes
    Just started on my monthly Book club book'Instructions for a Heat Wave' by Maggie o'Farrell set in 1976 which was weird as Richard Madeley's book was set in the same year. Boy that was a very hot summer Who remembers the restricted bathing and use of standpipes in the street
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Syman
    • By Syman 14th Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    • 2,376 Posts
    • 5,894 Thanks
    Syman
    I have already read "I See You", so will find something else.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2017 reading Challenge total :- 51/30
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Jun 17, 11:51 PM
    • 24,209 Posts
    • 50,906 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    set in 1976 which was weird as Richard Madeley's book was set in the same year. Boy that was a very hot summer Who remembers the restricted bathing and use of standpipes in the street
    Then you definitely need to read The Trouble With Goats and Sheep!

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • loocyloo
    • By loocyloo 15th Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    loocyloo
    Just read Richard Madeley's book The Night Book and quite enjoyed it ,easy read and quite descriptive lake district scenes
    Just started on my monthly Book club book'Instructions for a Heat Wave' by Maggie o'Farrell set in 1976 which was weird as Richard Madeley's book was set in the same year. Boy that was a very hot summer Who remembers the restricted bathing and use of standpipes in the street

'The Night Book' was a good read, and even now, slightly haunt my thoughts!

I've just read 'The drowning lesson' by Jane Shemilt, after recently reading 'daughter' by the same author. I couldn't put 'daughter' down - it was so real, and again, haunting. I was pleased to see the 2nd book, and I enjoyed reading it, and again, it is going to haunt me for a while, but I found one character similar to one in the previous book, and that spoilt it a little for me. I read that the author is a GP and so, in a way, writes about what she knows. I recommend them though!
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 17th Jun 17, 10:49 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 6,262 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I read Goose by Dawn O'Porter. I enjoyed reading this book even though it was about young adult friendships, their best friends and their relationships. I used to love Glamour magazine mostly because of Dawn O'Porter's column. she was always so raw and honest with her writing, and this book is more of the same. I would give it 7.5 out of 10
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 20th Jun 17, 12:29 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 6,262 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I just finished reading If They Could See Me Now by Denise Welch and was left distinctly underwhelmed. The main characters seemed very cliched, unbelievable, unsubtle and very unbalanced caricatures. I found this a very poorly written book and feel that Denise Welch should stick to her 'day' job of Actor. I would give it 5.5 out of 10
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 20th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    • 23,113 Posts
    • 59,829 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Just finished The Moor's Account. By Laila Lalami

Superb! I'd left it a bit late to read for book group,and heart sank when I saw the print size, as it's thick. I could not put it down!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Jun 17, 12:07 AM
    • 24,209 Posts
    • 50,906 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 31:

8/10. An extraordinary tale of remarkable children, Really touching, with a different emphasis to the film. I couldn't help compare this with black US history, which I know far more about.

Just finished The Moor's Account. By Laila Lalami

Superb! I'd left it a bit late to read for book group,and heart sank when I saw the print size, as it's thick. I could not put it down!
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    The reviews are amazing! P'Inned, I hope to make this holiday reading

• pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 21st Jun 17, 5:42 PM
    • 23,113 Posts
    • 59,829 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I want to read Rabbit-proof Fence, too.

• pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 24th Jun 17, 6:10 PM
    • 23,113 Posts
    • 59,829 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I e just finished a Lee Child, Killing Floor, which someone passed on to me.

I was a bit patronising about it at first, but I must admit, I'm very impressed with the complex plot development.

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 25th Jun 17, 8:21 AM
    • 24,209 Posts
    • 50,906 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 32:

8/10. I found the plot gentle, and a bit lacking but this was more than made up for by the language, the observation of parochial life and dry wit used in the writing. I can see this translating to film very well - Yasmeen from Corrie would make a great Mrs Ali, and perhaps Bill Nighy / Timothy Spall as the Major, with the usual luvvy suspects as the supporting members of the cast? Overall it was just hilarious and well worth reading (I don't usually go for light fiction): thanks for the recommendation!

• pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 25th Jun 17, 9:06 AM
    • 23,113 Posts
    • 59,829 Thanks
    pollypenny
    VfM4, I'd say it's a bit more than light fiction - themes of judging by appearance, tolerance, inclusivity and love.

Our book group loved it, again, surprisingly.

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 25th Jun 17, 8:01 PM
    • 24,209 Posts
    • 50,906 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 33:

6.5/10. I picked this up from the library yesterday purely because I thought it might be an interesting set of essays, not because I'm a fan (the few clips I've caught from "The Big Bang Theory" haven't encouraged me to keep watching). It's a quick read, funny in parts (not lol funny though) but unpolished - as if the writing has been dashed off every evening after work for a month. What I can appreciate from it is his tenacity in pursuing his dream of acting.

• pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 26th Jun 17, 8:42 AM
    • 23,113 Posts
    • 59,829 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I LOVE The Big Bang Theory! I must look for this!

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 26th Jun 17, 9:26 AM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 7,489 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I haven't been reading books at all lately as the current events have distracted me!

I charged up my kindle last night and will probably have an early night tonight with some of the books I started ages ago and haven't finished.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 26th Jun 17, 10:11 AM
    • 24,209 Posts
    • 50,906 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I LOVE The Big Bang Theory! I must look for this!
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    I just don't get US "humour" of this nature - in fact I'd prefer to curl up with a good book - and assumed it was just a Brit thing but clearly I am wrong!

• pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 26th Jun 17, 2:32 PM
    • 23,113 Posts
    • 59,829 Thanks
    pollypenny
    It's like Friends and Scrubs - better, in fact brilliant, once you know the characters and their interactions.

• sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 2nd Jul 17, 6:14 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 6,262 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I finished reading The Best British Mysteries 2006 by Various Authors earlier in the week. Every single one of these short stories was very well written and I found then, fascinating, thrilling and they all drew me in and left me wanted to read more of that particular authors work. It was a delightful cornucopia of authors and stories at their very best. I had owned this book for years, but only just got around to reading it. I would give this book 10 out of 10 because I simply could not fault any of the writing.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 4th Jul 17, 8:02 PM
    • 24,209 Posts
    • 50,906 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 34:

8/10. A relatively quick one for me. I expected to be able to recommend key parts of it to patients, but in fairness it's been a kick up the butt for me too! Activity has gone up as a result, let's see how long it lasts for!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,273Posts Today

5,955Users online

Martin's Twitter