Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Jan 17, 9:22 AM
    • 23,185Posts
    • 48,406Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Bookworm's Thread 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 9:22 AM
    The Bookworm's Thread 2017 1st Jan 17 at 9:22 AM
    Welcome to 2017 friends and fellow lovers of literature, and year 2 of the MSE Bookworm's Thread.

Same principals as the 2016 thread, which can be found here, rate it and recommend it if you can. All tastes and genres are welcome. The more we know about the book, the better! I shall again aim for a book a week, let's see if it happens this year

Happy reading in 2017!

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 18
    • Hobsons Choice
    • By Hobsons Choice 6th Jun 17, 7:58 PM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 7,040 Thanks
    Hobsons Choice
    I have just finished reading The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney. This was a really good thriller, centred around a private detective looking for a gypsy girl who had gone missing years ago. It has a really brilliant twist at the end of the book. I would give this book 9.5 out of 10.
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125
    Sounds like my kinda book, will look out for it, thanks.
    Normal people worry me.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Jun 17, 11:05 PM
    • 23,185 Posts
    • 48,406 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 28: has been on my wishlist for quite some time, so I snapped it up from the chazzer this afternoon and read it this evening.

9/10 - simply and beautifully written, and so poignant. I only wish I hadn't seen the film already, as the ending would have been even more shocking. This isn't going to leave me for a long time.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 8th Jun 17, 6:56 AM
    • 889 Posts
    • 5,492 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I finished reading the autobiography of Cheryl Barrymore called Catch a Falling Star which was centred on her life with Michael Barrymore. I have owned this hardback book for a few years so I decided I really should get around to reading it. This book was another 99p shop buy.

The fascination for me is how could a really strong woman like Cheryl Barrymore had not left Michael once his behaviour towards her became so abusive? Also she finally answered the question of how she had never suspected her loving husband of being gay.

It is well written and very descriptive. I give it an 8 out of 10
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    • 15,231 Posts
    • 123,616 Thanks
    JackieO
    I am reading Claire Macintosh's second book and its really good Its called
    'I See You' and I do hope she keeps on writing as her first book 'I Let you Go was pretty good as well.I am hoping she will develop into as good a writer as the late Ruth Rendell. I do like a good mystery thriller with lots of twists and turns

JackieO xxx
    Last edited by JackieO; 08-06-2017 at 5:10 PM.
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Syman
    • By Syman 8th Jun 17, 6:20 PM
    • 2,354 Posts
    • 5,849 Thanks
    Syman
    Book 28: has been on my wishlist for quite some time, so I snapped it up from the chazzer this afternoon and read it this evening.

9/10 - simply and beautifully written, and so poignant. I only wish I hadn't seen the film already, as the ending would have been even more shocking. This isn't going to leave me for a long time.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    i love that book. so much more shocking than the film. Moving and thought provoking.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2017 reading Challenge total :- 36/30
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 8th Jun 17, 7:37 PM
    • 22,291 Posts
    • 57,169 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Even thinking of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas makes me fill up!

I've just finished a Jeffrey Deaver, the second Lincoln Rhyme novel - The Coffin Dancer.

It was ok only, with a twist which was not entirely convincing.

Just started another Anne Holt, No Echo.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • alfsmum
    • By alfsmum 9th Jun 17, 6:45 AM
    • 580 Posts
    • 5,625 Thanks
    alfsmum
    I am reading Claire Macintosh's second book and its really good Its called
    'I See You' and I do hope she keeps on writing as her first book 'I Let you Go was pretty good as well.I am hoping she will develop into as good a writer as the late Ruth Rendell. I do like a good mystery thriller with lots of twists and turns

JackieO xxx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I enjoyed I See You, a good twist at the end (no spoilers!). Haven't read her first one yet but it's on my list.
    • Hobsons Choice
    • By Hobsons Choice 9th Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 7,040 Thanks
    Hobsons Choice
    I enjoyed I See You, a good twist at the end (no spoilers!). Haven't read her first one yet but it's on my list.
    Originally posted by alfsmum
    I found her first novel was equally as good. Happy to add her name to my list of "favourite authors". Also Susie Steiner 'Missing Presumed' and 'Persons Unknown' writes similar books. Always on the lookout for new (to me) authors, my most popular ones don't write quick enough .
    Normal people worry me.
    • blackcatsx2
    • By blackcatsx2 9th Jun 17, 9:42 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    blackcatsx2
    I hope it's ok to join in. I really enjoyed Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonsen. It was a lovely story, both poignant and very witty 9/10.
    I tried another book by the same author, The Summer Before The War, but I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as Major Pettigrew.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Jun 17, 8:00 AM
    • 15,231 Posts
    • 123,616 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good twist at the end of I see you and quite unexpected Just started reading a Lawrence Block book called A Drop of the Hard Stuff and I'm finding it not bad at all I have never read him, but Liam Neeson played his hero in a movie (A Walk among the Tombstones) I watched a little while ago and I remembered the name when I was in the library.
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    • 23,185 Posts
    • 48,406 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I hope it's ok to join in. I really enjoyed Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonsen. It was a lovely story, both poignant and very witty 9/10.
    I tried another book by the same author, The Summer Before The War, but I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as Major Pettigrew.
    Originally posted by blackcatsx2
    Welcome to the thread

Just read a review of Major Pettigrew and have P'inned it, thanks for the recommendation!

• blackcatsx2
    • By blackcatsx2 11th Jun 17, 6:45 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    blackcatsx2
    Thanks for the welcome V4M, I've put a few books on my list based on the reviews on this thread, so thank you to everyone who takes the trouble to post. a few weeks ago i finished City of Friends by Joanna Trollope but was disappointed. A bit cliched and I didn't warm to any of the 4 main characters. 6/10 from me.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 12th Jun 17, 8:29 AM
    • 889 Posts
    • 5,492 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Welcome blackcatsx2

I have just finished reading Nobody's Child by Kate Adie. This book is all about the plight of foundling or abandoned children. It is a well researched book and the personal stories are extraordinary, moving and inspiring. However I found the chapters of the book which were giving you the history of how different countries deal with foundling or abandoned children was somewhat distracting and I felt that I would have preferred if the whole book had focused more on the individual stories of how foundling and abandoned children dealt with the knowledge that they were without a birth mother or father or any knowledge of who they might be, they had no way of discovering their actual date of birth as opposed to the approximate date of birth bestowed on them or even what their real name is. I would give this book 8 out of 10
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 12th Jun 17, 6:31 PM
    • 22,291 Posts
    • 57,169 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Originally posted by blackcatsx2

Major Pettigrew is brilliant! Our book group voted it the best read of the year in 2014, I think it was.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Jun 17, 7:05 PM
    • 23,185 Posts
    • 48,406 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Major Pettigrew is brilliant! Our book group voted it the best read of the year in 2014, I think it was.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    Based on the multiple recommendations, I have reserved a copy from my local library. Am also on the lookout for the Kate Adie recommendation

Book 29:

9/10, another book by a surgeon (but without the arrogance) that really made me think about how I approach certain subjects. I've seen him speak about a different subject many years ago and was impressed then, it really shouldn't have taken me this long to read this book!

• Syman
    • By Syman 13th Jun 17, 12:29 PM
    • 2,354 Posts
    • 5,849 Thanks
    Syman
    Welcome Blackcats.

Book 27 for the year.
    Good suspense novel, usual twists and turns but not all predictable. bit confusing to start, but falls into place from about half way.
    score 3.5/5

next book is:

though kinda think i may have already read it.
    Last edited by Syman; 13-06-2017 at 12:32 PM.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2017 reading Challenge total :- 36/30
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 13th Jun 17, 4:47 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 1,449 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Need to stop propping myself up in bed every evening doing work on the laptop as it's ruining a good nights sleep.

Not sure if I've picked the right book but will be going back to my "book at bedtime" routine.

Had a bit of a hard time with "The God of Small Things" about 10 years ago but ploughed on to the end because it was a Booker prize winner.

Anyone else read this book yet? Thoughts?
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    • 23,185 Posts
    • 48,406 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Need to stop propping myself up in bed every evening doing work on the laptop as it's ruining a good nights sleep.

Not sure if I've picked the right book but will be going back to my "book at bedtime" routine.

Had a bit of a hard time with "The God of Small Things" about 10 years ago but ploughed on to the end because it was a Booker prize winner.

Anyone else read this book yet? Thoughts?
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    No, but I saw it advertised on the underground recently and thought I must read it. Even though I found "God of Small Things" totally over-rated, same goes for "The Inheritance of Loss" by Kiran Desai. Both were okay and interesting enough as stories, but I failed to see the masterpiece factor in either.

Awaiting your opinion of this one, though!

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Jun 17, 9:36 PM
    • 23,185 Posts
    • 48,406 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 30:

I bought this book yesterday, on the strength of the author, whom I have heard on the radio a number of times. I'd assumed it related to her field of expertise, but it's only when I started to read it this evening I realised it's actually aimed at young teenagers rather than an an adult book exploring forced marriages. I continued reading it as I knew I wasn't going to have to invest hours in it! For children aged 10-15, I'd give it a 7/10. It's simple to read, but the message is powerful.

• Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 13th Jun 17, 10:17 PM
    • 5,044 Posts
    • 52,306 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Just finished this and I'd give it 10/10.

Clementine and Erika seem to have been friends forever, but tensions simmer beneath the surface. A surprise invitation to a barbecue with Erika's neighbours should help them forget their problems for a while, but events at the barbecue prove otherwise.

This was an excellent read. Truly, madly excellent!
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 71.48

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

177Posts Today

1,693Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin