Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Jan 17, 9:22 AM
    • 22,587Posts
    • 46,723Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Bookworm's Thread 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 9:22 AM
    The Bookworm's Thread 2017 1st Jan 17 at 9:22 AM
    Welcome to 2017 friends and fellow lovers of literature, and year 2 of the MSE Bookworm's Thread.

Same principals as the 2016 thread, which can be found here, rate it and recommend it if you can. All tastes and genres are welcome. The more we know about the book, the better! I shall again aim for a book a week, let's see if it happens this year

Happy reading in 2017!

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 17
    • Syman
    • By Syman 9th May 17, 5:51 AM
    • 2,320 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    Syman
    Just finished "The Couple Next Door"
    One of the best books read this year.
    The plot is well written and paced perfectly. the twists and turns are entirly plausible and the ultimate end very satisfying.

check out the chazzers Vfm4mepls, you will enjoy this one.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2017 reading Challenge total :- 27/30
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 10th May 17, 2:31 PM
    • 4,512 Posts
    • 47,732 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    This week's library returns:

Annie's mother is a serial killer. The only way she can make it stop is to hand her in to the police. But out of sight is not out of mind. As her mother's trial looms, the secrets of her past won't let Annie sleep, even with a new foster family and name - Milly. A fresh start. Now, surely, she can be whoever she wants to be. But Milly's mother is a serial killer. And blood is thicker than water. Good me, bad me. She is, after all, her mother's daughter...

A marine engineer who tumbles off a cliff path on a windy night. A burglary where everything taken was returned by the thief. The suicide of a man in love with life. An accident, a mystery, an unexplained tragedy. And nothing at all to connect them. Until, that is, Detective Constable Fiona Griffiths, searching for something - anything - to take her mind off the tedious job of evidence-cataloguing she's been assigned to, starts to wonder if all three incidents are not quite what they seem.

When he was 12 years old, Adam Ryan went playing in the woods with his two friends. He never saw them again. Their bodies were never found, Adam himself was discovered with his back pressed against a tree and his shoes filled with blood. Now he is a detective working on the murder of a girl at the exact site of his childhood trauma.

She loves her husband. She's obsessed by a stranger. She's a devoted mother. She's prepared to lose everything. She knows what she's doing. She's out of control. She's innocent. She's guilty as sin. She's living two lives. She might lose both.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 55.10

• Syman
    • By Syman 12th May 17, 5:50 AM
    • 2,320 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    Syman

just finished this. Well worth a read.
    "Everyone knows a couple like Jack and Grace: he has looks and wealth, she has charm and elegance. You'd like to get to know Grace better. But it's difficult, because you realize Jack and Grace are never apart. Some might call this true love.

Picture this: a dinner party at their perfect home, the conversation and wine flowing. They appear to be in their element while entertaining. And Grace's friends are eager to reciprocate with lunch the following week. Grace wants to go, but knows she never will. Her friends call—so why doesn't Grace ever answer the phone? And how can she cook such elaborate meals but remain so slim?"

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th May 17, 10:07 PM
    • 22,587 Posts
    • 46,723 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Just finished Book 24:

9.5/10 - what an amazing book! Not for everyone, but offered me good explanations for what is seen to be very unusual behaviour. I feel somewhat validated by science!

"Everyone knows a couple like Jack and Grace: he has looks and wealth, she has charm and elegance. You'd like to get to know Grace better. But it's difficult, because you realize Jack and Grace are never apart. Some might call this true love.

Picture this: a dinner party at their perfect home, the conversation and wine flowing. They appear to be in their element while entertaining. And Grace's friends are eager to reciprocate with lunch the following week. Grace wants to go, but knows she never will. Her friends call—so why doesn't Grace ever answer the phone? And how can she cook such elaborate meals but remain so slim?"
    Originally posted by Syman
    Sounds like C4s "Humans" - is this a figment of virtual reality?

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Hobsons Choice
    • By Hobsons Choice 16th May 17, 12:01 PM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 6,988 Thanks
    Hobsons Choice
    Just finished "The Watchmaker of Filigree Street".
    Really enjoyed it, though it's a bit different from the novels I usually read.
    A very unusual tale and I think I need someone to fully explain the ending to me!
    Normal people worry me.
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 16th May 17, 4:50 PM
    • 4,512 Posts
    • 47,732 Thanks
    Serendipitious

Helen and Ellie are identical twins – like two peas in a pod, everyone says.

The girls know this isn't true, though: Helen is the leader and Ellie the follower.

Until they decide to swap places: just for fun, and just for one day.

But Ellie refuses to swap back...
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 55.10

• Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 17th May 17, 9:57 PM
    • 4,512 Posts
    • 47,732 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Driving along the other day, the song Jimmy Mack came on the radio and the lines 'He calls me on the phone - about three times a day' really made me smile.

These days the norm could easily be 10 times with texts in between. Then I went to the library and this was on display so I got it:

I read it in two days - it's full of fascinating insights regarding the delights and dangers of technology.

June grocery 55.10

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 18th May 17, 7:40 AM
    • 22,587 Posts
    • 46,723 Thanks
    VfM4meplse

I read it in two days - it's full of fascinating insights regarding the delights and dangers of technology.
    Originally posted by Serendipitious
    Just my kind of thing and brand new I see, thanks! Duly P'inned

• pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 18th May 17, 9:27 AM
    • 21,693 Posts
    • 55,364 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Tess Gerristen's Dead Again is a very good read. Intriguing.

I'm struggling with our latest book group choice, Pat Barker's Life Class. Not difficult, but hackneyed.

I do suspect it was my nomination, too.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 18th May 17, 7:06 PM
    • 4,512 Posts
    • 47,732 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Tess Gerristen's Dead Again is a very good read. Intriguing.

I'm struggling with our latest book group choice, Pat Barker's Life Class. Not difficult, but hackneyed.

I do suspect it was my nomination, too.
    Originally posted by pollypenny

I struggled with her Regeneration, it put me off reading her again.

June grocery 55.10

• Syman
    • By Syman 24th May 17, 5:52 AM
    • 2,320 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    Syman
    finished "The Girl in The Blue Coat" WW2 YA novel set in Amsterdam and based around the German transportation of Jews.

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 24th May 17, 8:39 AM
    • 22,587 Posts
    • 46,723 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 25:

8/10. Very useful analysis, although the stuff around medicine and science I knew already. The insights into aviation, law, sports, tech and commerce were valuable.
    finished "The Girl in The Blue Coat" WW2 YA novel set in Amsterdam and based around the German transportation of Jews.
    Originally posted by Syman
    Marks out of 10? It sounds interesting but you didn't actually say you enjoyed it!
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 24-05-2017 at 8:42 AM.

• jintyb
    • By jintyb 24th May 17, 9:13 AM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 17,849 Thanks
    jintyb
    Hi! How do you post an image of the the book on here? Hope someone can help! x

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
    • Syman
    • By Syman 24th May 17, 12:40 PM
    • 2,320 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    Syman
    Book 25:

8/10. Very useful analysis, although the stuff around medicine and science I knew already. The insights into aviation, law, sports, tech and commerce were valuable. Marks out of 10? It sounds interesting but you didn't actually say you enjoyed it!
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Sorry Vfm4me, was early when i posted.

i don't think enjoyed is the right word, given the subject matter. It is a well written and researched novel. It was a good book to read. certainly a 4 out of 5.

• Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 24th May 17, 3:09 PM
    • 4,512 Posts
    • 47,732 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Hi! How do you post an image of the the book on here? Hope someone can help! x
    Originally posted by jintyb
    Just right-click the image and select 'copy image' from the dropdown menu, then right-click again within your post and select paste.

Hth.

June grocery 55.10

• sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 2nd Jun 17, 2:50 PM
    • 772 Posts
    • 4,622 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I read The Lives She Left Behind by James Long which was a love story across centuries with the central theme of reincarnation. I loved this hardback book, but it took me a while to finish reading it, as it was too heavy to take to and from work, whereas normally I would have read it on the bus to and from work. I would give this book 9 out of 10

I only took 3 days to read The Brave by Nicholas Evans. Again it was a captivating read, with characters that I found it very easy to warm to. I would give this book 9 out of 10 as well.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 2nd Jun 17, 4:51 PM
    • 21,693 Posts
    • 55,364 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Laughing out loud at David Mitchell's Back Story!

My kids, having grown up at the same time as him, would love it even more.
    Last edited by pollypenny; 02-06-2017 at 11:31 PM.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Jun 17, 8:55 AM
    • 22,587 Posts
    • 46,723 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I finished a couple last week.

Book 26:

7/10 - covered a lot of what I already knew in a short and a simplified book, but also added some new techniques to my repertoire. I finished it in less than a day and found it to offer a good return on the time invested.

Book 27:

8/10. Don't be fooled by the font! I thought this would be a light and fluffy read (300 pages in large type) but it dealt with some very dark issues. It took me much longer to read than I had expected because I got sidetracked with some of the academic references (not part of my training). I finished the book far more likely to to refer to the discipline than wehn I started.

No reading this weekend, have been on the go non-stop and need a break this week! Currently, my book accrual rate is far outstripping my reading pace :0

• sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 6th Jun 17, 1:14 AM
    • 772 Posts
    • 4,622 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I have just finished reading The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney. This was a really good thriller, centred around a private detective looking for a gypsy girl who had gone missing years ago. It has a really brilliant twist at the end of the book. I would give this book 9.5 out of 10.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 6th Jun 17, 11:11 AM
    • 22,587 Posts
    • 46,723 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I have just finished reading The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney. This was a really good thriller, centred around a private detective looking for a gypsy girl who had gone missing years ago. It has a really brilliant twist at the end of the book. I would give this book 9.5 out of 10.
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125
    I liked The Tenderness of Wolves, based on this I am likely to give your recommendaton a go. P'Inned

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,599Posts Today

6,692Users online

Martin's Twitter