Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Jan 17, 9:22 AM
    • 23,547Posts
    • 49,277Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Bookworm's Thread 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 9:22 AM
    The Bookworm's Thread 2017 1st Jan 17 at 9:22 AM
    Welcome to 2017 friends and fellow lovers of literature, and year 2 of the MSE Bookworm's Thread.

Same principals as the 2016 thread, which can be found here, rate it and recommend it if you can. All tastes and genres are welcome. The more we know about the book, the better! I shall again aim for a book a week, let's see if it happens this year

Happy reading in 2017!

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 16
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 20th Apr 17, 8:07 AM
    • 5,166 Posts
    • 53,418 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Hi

Can I join? I love reading, but aiming to spend less money (the reason I was on here in the first place) so any suggestions for cheap or free books? I have an iphone with the kindle app, and I am am amazon prime customer, but as far as I know I can't "borrow" books on amazon unless I have a kindle, not the app? Am I right?
    Originally posted by thegirlinthegreenscarf

Hi and welcome.

Someone who knows better than me will answer your query (I don't have an iphone, sorry)

I use the library a lot.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

June grocery 62.91 July 89.07 Aug 71.25 Sept 82.74

• Syman
    • By Syman 21st Apr 17, 11:33 AM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 5,866 Thanks
    Syman
    Given up on frankenstein...life is too short..it just rambles on and on and i was not enjoying it at all.

this was in my recommendations on goodreads

so will give it a go.
    Originally posted by Syman
    finished this one. good read, well paced and a believable plot.

Book 2 next
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2017 reading Challenge total :- 40/30
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 23rd Apr 17, 7:24 PM
    • 23,547 Posts
    • 49,277 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 21:

7/10. Not quite what I expected, but went some way to explaining how surgeons behave, and wandered into some deep philosophical territory. It was of course sad, particularly towards the end. It challenged me in ways I didn't anticipate: I somehow thought it would be different. I certainly would NOT recommend it to anyone going through the trauma of cancer: although many are very treatable, there wasn't a happy ending in this case.

I've just realised at this stage in the year, I am well ahead of my book-a-week target! And most enlightening it has been too

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 23rd Apr 17, 8:07 PM
    • 706 Posts
    • 3,293 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Thanks to Chris25 for pointing me here

I'm currently reading my way through Tad Willams' Otherland series (on Book Three at the moment).
    Stunning story and highly recommended to anyone who loves Fantasy/Sci-Fi...
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Syman
    • By Syman 24th Apr 17, 11:52 AM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 5,866 Thanks
    Syman
    just finished the second "Jack Carpenter" book by James Swain.
    Absolute page turner (or swiper on the kindle) read in 2 sittings!!

book three next.

• sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 25th Apr 17, 10:25 AM
    • 923 Posts
    • 5,770 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Could you please sponsor me Ladies
    Hello Ladies,

Could I kindly ask you to sponsor me for Race for Life 2017

This will be my 6th year. My eldest sister lost her battle with stomach cancer some years ago and 2 of my brothers are currently cancer survivors. I decided to do Race for Life for the 1st time when I heard that my 2 elder brothers had cancer. I just wanted to do my own small bit to help Cancer Research UK with their invaluable work, apart from my monthly donation.

I would suggest a donation of £1 is adequate but of course there is no upper limit should you feel inclined to donate more

https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/doloress-fundraising-page-3
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 25th Apr 17, 1:56 PM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 5,955 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Given up on frankenstein...life is too short..it just rambles on and on and i was not enjoying it at all.
    Yes, it isn't worth it if you aren't enjoying a book. I finally started it today and it is quite wordy, but it is interesting so far. I don't remember it at all!
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 25th Apr 17, 9:23 PM
    • 23,547 Posts
    • 49,277 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 22:

7.5/10, and thanks for the recommendation! I found it a little hard to start with as I was rather distracted by the 1970s imagery (esp the retro food treats: biscuits and Angel Delight ). Then the subtle but cleverly written characters of the two girls took over before the plot gripped me. It's written gently, covering dark themes under a veneer of innocence. I think this should be on a year 9 reading list, purely because it would encourage young teenagers to think about how they treat other people.

The only thing I thought may have been inaccurate was the reference to pasta shells. IIRC even macaroni was seen to be exotic in the 1970s!

• Hobsons Choice
    • By Hobsons Choice 29th Apr 17, 6:05 PM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 7,048 Thanks
    Hobsons Choice
    Decided to give Patricia Cornwell another try, her books have been awful lately.
    From the library I got "Chaos" her new hardback. Thank goodness it didn't cost anything, it's dreadful! Very poor plot dragged out and dressed up to fill the pages, going over and over everything at least three times and ....... oh dear, no more Patricia Cornwell for me - and she used to be sooo good, such a shame.
    Normal people worry me.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 30th Apr 17, 6:49 AM
    • 681 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    as far as I know I can't "borrow" books on amazon unless I have a kindle, not the app? Am I right?
    Originally posted by thegirlinthegreenscarf
    As far as I know that is correct.

It appears you have 2 options....

Subscribe to Amazon Unlimited for £7.99/month

OR

Buy a cheap refurbished/secondhand kindle for £50 or a new one starts at £60 for use with your Prime membership.

Sometimes you need to spend money to save money!
    • Syman
    • By Syman 1st May 17, 4:45 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 5,866 Thanks
    Syman
    Just finished book 20 for the Year.

The program by James Swain - the 4th in the Jack Carpenter series. will giz it 4/5 as a stand alone story, as Jack Carpenter is only a "bit part player"

Got a few new books over the week end

not sure which one i will read next.

• greentiger
    • By greentiger 1st May 17, 6:48 PM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 14,223 Thanks
    greentiger
    red Nile by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr

Just finished this, a big book in every sense of the word - it's a really interesting read, split into lots of manageable chunks; I learned lots.
    Last edited by greentiger; 01-05-2017 at 6:56 PM.
    Stashbusting 149/200
    17 in 17 Challenge 15/17
    Reading Challenge 21/40
    Film Challenge 33/52
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 2nd May 17, 2:56 AM
    • 23,547 Posts
    • 49,277 Thanks
    VfM4meplse

not sure which one i will read next.
    This one please! And let us know how you find it?

Eta: have P'inned The Red Nile and reserved a library copy - there's no time like the present!
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 02-05-2017 at 3:00 AM.

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 2nd May 17, 5:30 PM
    • 23,547 Posts
    • 49,277 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 23:

8/10: quick, insightful and entertaining.

• Syman
    • By Syman 2nd May 17, 7:56 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 5,866 Thanks
    Syman

Eta: have P'inned The Red Nile and reserved a library copy - there's no time like the present!
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Went for "I Found You" by Lisa Jewell

will do couple next door after.

• greentiger
    • By greentiger 3rd May 17, 2:01 AM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 14,223 Thanks
    greentiger
    Hope you enjoy Red Nile, Vfmeplse.
    It's structured in such a way that you can read a bit, then move on to something else, then get back into it. Otherwise there could be information overload.

Hame by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr
    What makes a true home? A literary detective story uncovering the past of a reclusive poet, and the tale of a mother and daughter making a new life on a remote Scottish island.

My daughter chose this book, started today, for me for my birthday. She usually picks well. The author, London born, learned 'braid Scots' to use in the book.
    Last edited by greentiger; 03-05-2017 at 2:11 AM.
    Stashbusting 149/200
    17 in 17 Challenge 15/17
    Reading Challenge 21/40
    Film Challenge 33/52
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 3rd May 17, 10:36 AM
    • 23,547 Posts
    • 49,277 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Hope you enjoy Red Nile, Vfmeplse.
    It's structured in such a way that you can read a bit, then move on to something else, then get back into it. Otherwise there could be information overload.
    Originally posted by greentiger
    That's part of my problem - reading, leaving and not returning to it . I've done much better this year by just powering through.

I've just had notification from the library that it's arrived

• pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 4th May 17, 9:21 AM
    • 22,613 Posts
    • 58,116 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Having been away for three weeks, I have a long list to report.

Steel Kiss - Jeffrey Deaver, amazing page turner

Daughters of the Dragon - William Andrews - story of the Korean 'comfort women' enslaved by the Japanese in WW2. Excellent

Bodies of Light - Sarah Moss - the story of the Moberley family of artists in the C19th . Surprisingly good.

Sweet Caress. - William Boyd - 'biography' of Amory Clay, an adventurous, leading woman photographer. I didn't expect to enjoy it, but it was very interesting.

Me Speak Pretty One Day - David Sedaris- laugh out loud, giggle and hear his voice in your head.

Although I was stocked with my homeward reads for the long flight, I found that I could hear a film with the good earphones supplied by Emirates, so I caught up with good films I'd missed ( Manchester by the Sea, Fences, The Girl on the Train)
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 4th May 17, 9:27 PM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 7,837 Thanks
    Callie22
    Bodies of Light - Sarah Moss - the story of the Moberley family of artists in the C19th . Surprisingly good.

Me Speak Pretty One Day - David Sedaris- laugh out loud, giggle and hear his voice in your head.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    I have really enjoyed everything written by Sarah Moss - I can highly recommend 'Signs for Lost Children' which is a sequel to 'Bodies of Light'. I liked 'Cold Earth' too, it's a different kind of novel to 'Signs for Lost Children' but it's equally as atmospheric.

I also loved the book by David Sedaris. The chapter where he talks about learning French genuinely had me laughing out loud. I must look out for some more of his books.

I've just finished 'The Followers' by Rebecca Wait, which is a novel about a cult. I thought it was quite good, and worth a read if you like stories about strange religions ... I'm reading a few books at the moment, one of which is 'After Me Comes the Flood', by Sarah Perry. It's ... odd, one of those novels where you find that you've read quite a lot of it and you realise that not much has happened. However it is a quick read so I'll stick to the end and see how it goes. I did buy 'The Essex Serpent' when it was 99p at the Kindle Store as there's been so much hype about it, but I'm not sure if 'After Me ...' is putting me off giving it a whirl.
    Last edited by Callie22; 04-05-2017 at 9:33 PM.
    • Syman
    • By Syman 5th May 17, 1:07 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 5,866 Thanks
    Syman

Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    just finished "I found You" very good read can recommend it.

As promised, next book is "The Couple Next Door"

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,623Posts Today

7,315Users online

Martin's Twitter