Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Jan 17, 9:22 AM
    • 22,041Posts
    • 44,709Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Bookworm's Thread 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 9:22 AM
    The Bookworm's Thread 2017 1st Jan 17 at 9:22 AM
    Welcome to 2017 friends and fellow lovers of literature, and year 2 of the MSE Bookworm's Thread.

Same principals as the 2016 thread, which can be found here, rate it and recommend it if you can. All tastes and genres are welcome. The more we know about the book, the better! I shall again aim for a book a week, let's see if it happens this year

Happy reading in 2017!

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 16
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 20th Apr 17, 8:07 AM
    • 4,225 Posts
    • 44,760 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Hi

Can I join? I love reading, but aiming to spend less money (the reason I was on here in the first place) so any suggestions for cheap or free books? I have an iphone with the kindle app, and I am am amazon prime customer, but as far as I know I can't "borrow" books on amazon unless I have a kindle, not the app? Am I right?
    Originally posted by thegirlinthegreenscarf

Hi and welcome.

Someone who knows better than me will answer your query (I don't have an iphone, sorry)

I use the library a lot.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Syman
    • By Syman 21st Apr 17, 11:33 AM
    • 2,301 Posts
    • 5,740 Thanks
    Syman
    Given up on frankenstein...life is too short..it just rambles on and on and i was not enjoying it at all.

this was in my recommendations on goodreads

so will give it a go.
    Originally posted by Syman
    finished this one. good read, well paced and a believable plot.

Book 2 next
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2017 reading Challenge total :- 18/30
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 23rd Apr 17, 7:24 PM
    • 22,041 Posts
    • 44,709 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Book 21:

7/10. Not quite what I expected, but went some way to explaining how surgeons behave, and wandered into some deep philosophical territory. It was of course sad, particularly towards the end. It challenged me in ways I didn't anticipate: I somehow thought it would be different. I certainly would NOT recommend it to anyone going through the trauma of cancer: although many are very treatable, there wasn't a happy ending in this case.

I've just realised at this stage in the year, I am well ahead of my book-a-week target! And most enlightening it has been too
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 23rd Apr 17, 8:07 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Thanks to Chris25 for pointing me here

I'm currently reading my way through Tad Willams' Otherland series (on Book Three at the moment).
    Stunning story and highly recommended to anyone who loves Fantasy/Sci-Fi...
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Syman
    • By Syman 24th Apr 17, 11:52 AM
    • 2,301 Posts
    • 5,740 Thanks
    Syman
    just finished the second "Jack Carpenter" book by James Swain.
    Absolute page turner (or swiper on the kindle) read in 2 sittings!!

book three next.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2017 reading Challenge total :- 18/30
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,725Posts Today

8,652Users online

Martin's Twitter