Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Jan 17, 9:22 AM
    • 22,875Posts
    • 47,525Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The Bookworm's Thread 2017
    • 1st Jan 17, 9:22 AM
    The Bookworm's Thread 2017 1st Jan 17 at 9:22 AM
    Welcome to 2017 friends and fellow lovers of literature, and year 2 of the MSE Bookworm's Thread.

Same principals as the 2016 thread, which can be found here, rate it and recommend it if you can. All tastes and genres are welcome. The more we know about the book, the better! I shall again aim for a book a week, let's see if it happens this year

Happy reading in 2017!

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 12
    • Ames
    • By Ames 6th Mar 17, 8:35 PM
    • 16,157 Posts
    • 28,185 Thanks
    Ames
    Depends on whether you'll want to re-read the book, I guess.

I tend only to read things once nowadays, so watching the film after reading the book would just add a different dimension.

The other way round is a bit tricky - I loved the Marigold Hotel film, so I tried the book afterwards but I got deeply irritated with it due to the differences and didn't finish it.
    Originally posted by Serendipitious
    I'm not sure if I would re-read it. I think I'll leave the film until I've read all the books, so that the film doesn't influence them.

I was the same with Philomena, the book and film are so different that they were (literally) different stories. I usually try and read the book first if I think I'll want to see the film/tv series.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Reading the alphabet in 2017. 21/100
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • Ames
    • By Ames 7th Mar 17, 8:37 PM
    • 16,157 Posts
    • 28,185 Thanks
    Ames
    I've finally finished Empire of the Sun. It was based on the author's experiences of being in a Japanese POW camp in China in WW2, interesting and very thought provoking. I don't think teenage boys nowadays would be so naive, but I think in many ways it was his naivety that allowed him to survive in the POW camp. He was totally oblivious to how nasty and dangerous some of his fellow prisoners were, and his relationships with the Japanese verged on what would now be called Stockholm Syndrome.

I want something different next, so I'm about to start on Flyte, the second in the Septimus Heap series of children's fantasy books.

• Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 9th Mar 17, 8:04 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 9,281 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    Ames - I loved Empire of the Sun. - one of those books where you want to turn to p.1 and read it all over again.
    Love the film too.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
    • Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 9th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 9,281 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    I finished Dancing at the Rascal Fair, by Ivan Doig, last night. I rate my books out of 5, and it was definitely a 5 - loved it. I've got the other two in the trilogy lined up.

In P***ndland this afternoon I picked up The Temporary Gentleman by Sebastian Barry (obviously for a pound!) He's such a good writer. I enjoyed A Long Long Way, also The Secret Scripture. I started reading this new (to me) one on the bus back from town, and it looks promising, so this will be my next read - off to it in a minute!

I occasionally find really good books in that shop, buried among the dross. Brand new, usually hardbacks, publishers' remainders. Worth a look!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 10th Mar 17, 11:03 AM
    • 1,891 Posts
    • 13,677 Thanks
    greentiger
    51zfQ0b4fSL._AC_US218_ by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr

Just started this. It is certainly different; the character, long dead but returned (?), is talking to herself about a painting she did.

"How to be both is a novel all about art's versatility. Borrowing from painting's fresco technique to make an original literary double-take, it's a fast-moving genre-bending conversation between forms, times, truths and fictions. There's a renaissance artist of the 1460s. There's the child of a child of the 1960s. Two tales of love and injustice twist into a singular yarn where time gets timeless, structural gets playful, knowing gets mysterious, fictional gets real - and all life's givens get given a second chance."
    Last edited by greentiger; 10-03-2017 at 11:10 AM.
    Stashbusting 114
    /200

17 in 17 Challenge 11/17
    Reading Challenge 12/40
    Film Challenge 25/52
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 10th Mar 17, 11:24 AM
    • 12,022 Posts
    • 33,729 Thanks
    Nelski
    our new book in my book club for next month is

also for the fast readers

Enjoyed our last group book Baby Doll by Hollie Overton and we also added the Widow by Fiona Barton which I havent got round to yet but others in the group say it was really good
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Mar 17, 11:30 AM
    • 22,875 Posts
    • 47,525 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/RzEhwz]
    Originally posted by greentiger
    I saw this in a chazzer last week... it resisted. I'll P'in it if you recommend it, though?

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 10th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 14,981 Thanks
    oldtractor
    can I join please?
    Trying for 10 a day
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 10th Mar 17, 2:01 PM
    • 21,884 Posts
    • 55,869 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Of course, you can, old tractor!

I didn't know Poundland sold books, Winchelsea. I'll have to have a look.

I enjoyed The Essex Serpent, but wouldn't call it a fast read, there's a lot in it, mostly allegorical.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Mar 17, 2:17 PM
    • 22,875 Posts
    • 47,525 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    can I join please?
    Originally posted by oldtractor
    Lol if you can fit it in between all the carrot-munching!

I once bought a Hanif Qureshi from Poundland: its rare that they access good quality authors (lots of D-list autobiographies etc) but worth keeping an eye on. The Essex Serpent sounds right up my street! P'inned.

• sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 10th Mar 17, 7:37 PM
    • 810 Posts
    • 4,882 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    i have just finished reading The Soulmate by Debby Holt which was easy reading. I enjoyed it. It is about searching for love in the modern world with parallel stories of a Father and his daughter in their search for 'The One'
    • Syman
    • By Syman 11th Mar 17, 6:09 PM
    • 2,329 Posts
    • 5,820 Thanks
    Syman
    Just finished Spandau Phoenix - Greg Iles. Good read if you like WW2 and conspircy theories.

not sure what is next on my list.

Maybe a re-read of Way of the Wyrd by Brian Bates.
    Originally posted by Syman
    Well went with Simon Kernick - "The Witness" in the end.

Brilliant plot well laid out. first in a new series featuring "DI Ray Mason"
    4.5/5 stars.

next book is
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2017 reading Challenge total :- 30/30
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Mar 17, 11:58 AM
    • 727 Posts
    • 3,611 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    The Chalk Pit: The Dr Ruth Galloway Mysteries 9 - Elly Griffiths.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Ames
    • By Ames 12th Mar 17, 5:01 PM
    • 16,157 Posts
    • 28,185 Thanks
    Ames
    I finished Flyte and started The Partisan's Daughter by Louis de Bernieres. I've vaguely recognised some bits so I think I've read it before. I can't remember how it ends though so I'll keep going but I'm speed reading it so I can move onto something new.

• Sue14
    • By Sue14 12th Mar 17, 9:04 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 10,754 Thanks
    Sue14
    After finishing The Innocent Man by John Grisham (which is based on a true story), I then read Forever Young (as in Mel Gibson film), which I've had for years but not got around to reading, although I've always loved the film.

I'm now reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, as I've challenged myself to read some of the classics. I wasn't too sure about this before I started reading it, but I am quite enjoying it. I bought this and 2 other classics, from the charity shop that raises funds for the hospice where my DH spent his last couple of weeks. They had a lot of other classics there so I may get some more next time I'm in town as they are 3 for £1 and I do like to support this charity.
    Total weight loss 30.5 lbs
    Weight loss challenge 13.5/12
    January Grocery Challenge £23.61/£100

• Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 12th Mar 17, 9:09 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 9,281 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    pollypenny,
    I have to say the Poundland books are a bit of a curate's egg - good in parts. I don't find that many in there that I'll read. But that's probably just me being fussy.......!
    • Ames
    • By Ames 12th Mar 17, 10:31 PM
    • 16,157 Posts
    • 28,185 Thanks
    Ames
    I've bought a couple of poundland books in the past, I think it's just a case of lucky timing.

I keep meaning to read more classics but at the moment my priority is getting the TBR 'pile' down. It's actually eight shelves packed three deep and another three shelves one deep. I'm a bit behind my plan for 100 books this year, when I get caught up I think I'll aim for one classic a month. The big problem with that now is that I'd have to dig through to find them. Maybe when they're only two layers deep...

Anyway, it's been full steam ahead today - I finished The Partisan's Daughter - OK but I didn't really like either character. I don't know why I kept it after the first reading, other than because I was in full hoarding mode.

Another quick/easy read next - One of Our Thursdays is Missing, by Jasper Fforde.

• greentiger
    • By greentiger 13th Mar 17, 12:42 AM
    • 1,891 Posts
    • 13,677 Thanks
    greentiger
    VfM4meplse, I'm actually getting into "How to be Both"! I've been away and been too busy/tired to read; I'll let you know what I think when I finish it.
    Stashbusting 114
    /200

17 in 17 Challenge 11/17
    Reading Challenge 12/40
    Film Challenge 25/52
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 22,875 Posts
    • 47,525 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm slipping a bit but in fairness have read several work-related business books that are neither use nor ornament to this thread. I switched my brain off and read this one this evening:

Book 11:

6.5/10. A very easy read and practically very useful given that I can't run for toffee! (Although I do walk very fast and am not fat by any stretch of the imagination). The author is very honest in saying that at first you will hate it, and this will take quite some time to pass before you get into the "zone". I am still at the pre-contemplative stage and am not sure that I'll ever do it because I see so many unnecessary sporting injuries that are difficult to recover from 100%. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it

• pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 16th Mar 17, 8:33 AM
    • 21,884 Posts
    • 55,869 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Finished Flood of Fire,,at last! My god, it was a plod.

This is a trilogy which didn't work, although I like Amitav Ghosh usually. Too many characters, others from the early book hardly touched on, too much historical detail, especially the battles.

I started Bodies of Light, by Sarah Moss. Good, but I decided that I need a quick crime novel. Started, and nearly finished, Crossing Places. My first Elly Griffiths.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,417Posts Today

9,222Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin