Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Jan 17, 8:31 AM
    • 10,220Posts
    • 57,626Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World
    • 1st Jan 17, 8:31 AM
    Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World 1st Jan 17 at 8:31 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies

Welcome to the new Frump to Fab thread. A whole new world of frugal style and fabulousity. A place where we learn from each other how to be the best we can with the resources we have.

Can you be both frugal and fabulous, I think so. You can be both skint and stylish. You can have your cake and eat it, you can "live it large" on a minuscule budget.

So to all you newbies welcome. Join in the fun with the ladies in our fabulous online community. Here we discuss all things fabulous and we learn all about "fabbing".

Yes I know it's a made up word but what does it mean.

Well for us it means taking care of ourselves, our looks yes of course but it's more than "mere vanity".

"FAbbing" also means looking after our health, our well being, our homes, our careers, our hobbies, our interests and past times and not forgetting our finances.

ANd of course, it goes without saying, a verybig warm welcome to our regulars, returners, and lurkers.

So dear newbies Join in the fun with the ladies in our fabulous online community

Before we get started let me take this opportunity to wish you all A Very Happy, Peaceful and Prosperous New Year.

Today you may be busy with New Year's Day gatherings or you may Be feeling a little worse for wear after the New Years Eve Celebrations so for now we are going to be gentle.

No fasting, no detox (unless of course you want to) but I would advocate that we ease ourselves gently into the New Year by remembering our first mantra.

Step 1. Wear perfume. You should smell divine every day. Don't save your favourite fragrances "for best". Never again save anything for best. Don't we deserve to be the best we can be - every single day.

Ah but what about the cost I hear you say. This is a Money saving website after all.......

Well you don't have to douse yourself in your most expensive Dior or Chanel perfumes. A simple spray of cologne will still smell wonderful.

And one of the nicest smells of all is a waft of fresh clean soap. So if you can't afford perfume then at least make sure you are freshly washed or showered and use a lovely soap or shower gel.

So dig out some of those new smellies you got for Christmas and start using them.

Today's tip.

Got a perfume you don't like because it's too strong or heavy?? Dilute it.

Don't throw it away or regift it. Add it to some simple cream or lotion or even some vegetable oil and make a luxurious moisturising body treatment. The height of luxury and decadence for mere pennies.

I am still recovering from my chest infection.......feeling a lot better today but I'm still going to take it easy. So........I am going to spend some time today pondering on what I would like to achieve this year. I am not going to think in terms of New Years Resolutions it will be more a case of goal setting.

As most of you will know Dad died on Friday so much of January will entail making his funeral arrangements and sorting out his estate.
    This means that, realistically, I am going to be busy for the next couple of weeks so I might have to catch up with my new plans.

But.......just because I might not be posting everyday doesn't mean to
    Say that I won't be keeping a watchful eye on you. I shall be reading and observing!!!

So please start the new fabbing year without me and I'll catch up with you all again just as soon as I can.

Have a fabulous New Year's Day. See you all soon.

X
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 01-01-2017 at 2:09 PM.
Page 82
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 5th Dec 17, 11:55 AM
    • 998 Posts
    • 6,276 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

On Sunday I had a free ticket to see a preview of the film God's Own Country. It was a love story set on a farm with breathtaking scenery. It was a relationship between two men and it was a very realistic portrayal of the unfolding love story and the hard, back breaking work involved in running a farm. I really enjoyed the film even though it was not what I had been expecting. I would give it 8/10

Yesterday I went to my local hospital to get my blood tests done. The Doctor is looking for markers in my blood to confirm rheumatoid arthritis. I am hoping that she is going to be proved wrong, but will know soon enough one way or the other.

As I am not working this year in the lead up to Christmas, I have plenty of time to look for bargains and to make good use of Poundland and Card Factory for inexpensive Christmas cards, wrapping paper and tags. I started wrapping Christmas presents yesterday. I am really looking forward to Christmas this year and I am so excited that it is rubbing off on my 17 year old daughter and my 25 year old son.

I am very busy, but I am enjoying being this busy in the lead up to Christmas and the New Year. I can take everything at my own pace.

I am also wrapping birthday presents for my 35 year old daughter and my 34 year old son who have December birthdays on the 10th and 14th respectively.

My ESA claim is now live and I can expect my 1st payment by tomorrow.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 6th Dec 17, 11:59 AM
    • 1,716 Posts
    • 8,554 Thanks
    chanie
    sugar I hope your test results come back clear. Pleased to see you are getting into the Xmas spirit and wrapping your presents. I do love card Factory as well. I have loads of wrapping paper as I bought quite a few rolls from Sainsburys after Xmas last year and the year before for 50p each.

I'm off tomorrow, for my 'me' day, although I'm not really feeling it - probably because I normally have something nice planned like a beauty treatment or a few cheeky purchases, but I don't have either planned. I tend not to buy much in December anyway, as I hold out until the sales. Still, I can have a nice lunch somewhere.
    Last edited by chanie; 06-12-2017 at 12:09 PM.
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £867.18
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Dec 17, 5:19 PM
    • 17,172 Posts
    • 102,660 Thanks
    maman
    Fingers crossed that it's not arthritis sugarbaby.

Have a lovely day tomorrow chanie. I think you're right to put off spending until January. There's nothing worse than seeing something with a lower price tag in the sales that you could have waited for . It's different with presents for small children but for yourself it's well worth waiting. I'm sure you'll enjoy your lunch tomorrow and perhaps there's something else you can do like go to an exhibition or see a film.

We don't do much Christmas shopping although I still enjoy the festival. We only buy gifts for children in the family and most of those are either at a distance or of an age when giving them/their parents money to choose is far better. If there's one thing I really loathe it's buying 'stuff'.

I'll buy nice food treats and decorate the house (I leave it until the week before) and we send cards including special ones for close family.

On Monday we went to the cinema. We don't go that often but I'd read the reviews and fancied the film 'The Man who invented Christmas'. It's the story of why and how Charles Dickens wrote A Christmas Carol. It has good actors in it and we enjoyed it very much.

I'm having quite a busy week what with the cinema, dancing and a Christmas meal with friends tomorrow evening. Friday is the only evening I'll be at home. I'm looking forward to that!

I called by at the hairdressers' this afternoon. I've made an appointment for Monday but I thought if I went in person someone would cut my fringe for me to keep me going until next week. So that's tidied it up a bit, it wasn't just getting in the way but it won't lie straight when it gets too long. I have been known to cut it myself but I'd rather not.

It's been quiet on here this week. I'm guessing everyone is busy with Christmas events and preparations. It'll soon be time for New Year's Resolutions!
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 6th Dec 17, 6:23 PM
    • 998 Posts
    • 6,276 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Chanie, enjoy your 'me' day tomorrow

Tuesday evening, I went to Karaoke. I had a really enjoyable time, but my friend and I left 20 minutes early because we were both feeling so tired.

This morning I went to my local Odeon Silver Screen screening of the film Home Again. I really like this feel good film. I would give it 8/10. I had my free cup of tea and biscuits as my breakfast, as I did not have time for breakfast before leaving home. I am going back to the cinema tomorrow morning to finally see Victoria and Abdul.

I am continuing to wrap Christmas presents. At least the birthday presents are all wrapped.
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Dec 17, 7:32 PM
    • 17,172 Posts
    • 102,660 Thanks
    maman
    Hope you enjoy Victoria and Abdul. I really enjoyed it.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 7th Dec 17, 10:56 AM
    • 10,220 Posts
    • 57,626 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies......

A bit quiet on here, but I guess we are all very busy. Hope you are still finding time for a bit of “me”time amid all the racing round, getting things done. Don’t forget to look after yourselves and keep up with the fabbing.

I’ve had my yellow fever jab, felt a bit rough yesterday, still feel very tired and a bit drained and achey so just a quiet potter today. Hopefully Going to decorate the tree later.

I went out with the Jolly Dollies on Sunday, had a lovely time. Met some new ladies I’d not seen before so my social circle is getting bigger.

Can you believe we are nearly at the Solstice, (there was a fabulous super moon last Sunday). After that the days will start to lengthen again. As always as we approach the end of the hear I have been reflecting on the last hear and already my thoughts are turning towards 2018.

2017 started very badly, the death of my father and then the awful business with my sister. It knocked the stuffing out of me and my health really suffered. I feel that I lost the first 6 months of this year, just dealing with it all. Even the trip to the Baltic was spoilt because it came just when my sisters treachery was reaching its climax. I really didn’t enjoy that holiday as much as I should have.

However, I managed to put it all behind me and the second half of the year began to see improvements in my health and wellbeing. The October cruise was the real turning point when suddenly I felt all the grief and sorrow just slipping away.

I now have my sights set firmly on the future. Yes I still miss my husband, of course I do but there is no longer that awful empty void in my life and constant sorrow in my heart. I am happy and content and hopeful for the future. 2018 bodes well, my trip, my first grandchild and I have lots of plans and ideas. I am Determined to squeeze every last drop of enjoyment and pleasure out of life from now on.

SUgarbaby....hope you are doing ok. Look after yourself.

Chanie....hope you enjoy your “me” day.

I’m off to Chatsworth next week. The theme for the house decorations is “A Dickens of a Christmas”. The reviews are very good, apparently they have surpassed themselves this year, with live actors acting out scenes from not just A Christmas Carol but also several of his famous stories.

I don’t know if any if you know Chatsworth but the dining/banqueting Hall is stunning at the best of times. They have the most amazing collections of silver, also As to be expected Crown Derby and also the most beautiful Cranberry glassware. Apparently they have set it up as Miss Havershams wedding banquet.

Speaking of Crown Derby I dug out a few of my treasures from the loft and I now have some of my favourite pieces on display. I also treated myself to some new cushions and a new throw, lovely mustard and mulberry coloured tartan. Nice cosy colours for winter. And some red plants, an orchid and an antirinum.

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.........
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 07-12-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Dec 17, 3:01 PM
    • 17,172 Posts
    • 102,660 Thanks
    maman
    Good to see you posting LL.

Hardly Chatsworth but I have a few pieces of Crown Derby on display in my hall. they're there all the year round but this time of the year they are joined by my Crown Derby Santa:
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Dec 17, 3:09 PM
    • 17,172 Posts
    • 102,660 Thanks
    maman
    Sorry Santa took up so much room. I'll put him out later in your honour LL. I have a few other small animals including a robin so I arrange them around a crib scene.

We're off out for a Christmas party tonight. It's in quite a high end restaurant and there's dancing. I'm going to wear my new (to me) black lace Phase Eight party dress. Thanks to the fake tan my arms don't look pasty any more. I do hope the venue is warm enough but I'll take a pashmina just in case.

I've done all the usual fabbing including a defuzz as I'll wear sheer tights tonight. I'm also planning a little bit of tinted moisturiser as I haven't worn any this year so far. Heels will look best but I plan to put some ballet pumps in my bag in case I get tired.

I'm trying my hardest to keep up with healthy eating in between the festivities. This morning I'd lost 2 lbs and delighted to say I'm (at last!) back to the weight I was before my holiday in July.

I'll be joining in Fab Friday tomorrow but it'll be a quiet one.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 7th Dec 17, 3:18 PM
    • 1,716 Posts
    • 8,554 Thanks
    chanie
    ll you have had a rough time, but you are out the other side and have lots to look forward to in 2018.

maman I love your little Santa, it’s adorable.

I’m back from my shopping trip. I had a nice wander around Westfield shopping Centre, a nice lunch and back home for a chill out before picking up the children from school.

Like LL I’ve been thinking about 2018 and specifically what I want to achieve. I’ll let you all know once I’ve written it all down.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 7th Dec 17, 5:45 PM
    • 1,750 Posts
    • 20,822 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Enjoy your meal out tonight Maman and good news re the weight loss.

I have also been thinking about 2017 LL, in many ways it's been the worst of times having lost my darling Mum in January, then having to deal with the clearing of her home and all that entailed. The desolation of being orphaned and the loss of a 'family' home has left me so low at times that didn't know how I would cope, but cope I did.
    My life is very different now but I am gradually getting used to the changes, exploring new avenues in my life and looking forward to what 2018 will bring. After a period of not working I fully intend on finding a part time job, with hours to suit me and I have also put forward my details to a well known charity so that hopefully I can put something back into my local community, exciting times!
    Not too much fabbing has gone on this week, too busy staying warm and cosy, I have been using the samples that my niece gave me last week and especially like the day moisturiser which, although quite thick, doesn't feel claggy on my skin iyswim?
    We are having a relatively quiet festive season but I have been making lists and have made good headway in purchasing the few presents we are giving. There is nothing that we can think of to buy each other but, having recently dug out all my old vinyl records, we are now thinking about a record player as a joint present to each other.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 7th Dec 17, 9:41 PM
    • 998 Posts
    • 6,276 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I really enjoyed watching the fim Victoria and Abdul today. It was a 9/10 film for me.

LL I am busy at the moment, but I am pacing myself and looking after myself. I listen to my body and when I get warning pains I will take a break from what I am doing and rest my aching body.

Most of my presents are now wrapped. I need to write out the birthday and Christmas cards tomorrow. My eldest son is driving to London on Saturday to collect all of the birthday presents, Christmas presents and all the cards for both occasions to save me having to spend too much on postage & packing materials.

Maman, I hope you really enjoy your evening out and get lots of compliments for your healthy look and your gorgeous Phase Eight dress. Your Crown Derby Santa is such a stunning piece, it must give you so much joy.

I am going to the Indigo 02 to see Vision of Elvis tomorrow. I am looking forward to singing along quietly to the Elvis songs.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 8th Dec 17, 4:18 AM
    • 10,220 Posts
    • 57,626 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Struggling to sleep......the side effects of the vaccines really are awful. Hey ho, just need to ride it out, I’m sure I’ll be fine in a day or two. I have had several broken nights and feel very drained. Never mind I’m sure things will get back to normal soon.

SUgarbaby. Glad to hear you are pacing yourself and taking care to rest. I often think we just need to listen to our bodies and give them what we need, usually sleep and rest whilst they heal and repair themselves.

Maman. Your Santa is lovely. A very handsome fellow.

Lainey....love the sound of your new record player. How nice to dig out your old vinyls. I have done the same with my CDs. I have set up my CD player again and enjoy listen g to my old favourites. For a long time I couldn’t bear to because they bought back memories of happier times but now I’m fine I can enjoy the music without feeling sad.

Well let me tell you about my recent purchase.......some pretty business cards or perhaps I should say “calling cards” as I now no longer run any businesses. (Although I do intend to think about that next year).

They are very pretty with a small design of birds and flowers and then just my name, email address and mobile number - tres chic and so much more elegant than scrabbling for a bit of paper and a pen when anyone asks for my contact details. Only £10. Ok a bit extravagant because they are hardly a “need” but I think it adds a nice touch of sophistication when I present them with my card.

Ok back to bed to see if I can sleep. If not I’ll just read for a while.

Fab Friday.......
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 08-12-2017 at 4:22 AM.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 9th Dec 17, 8:26 AM
    • 10,220 Posts
    • 57,626 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies....

Brrrrr...that’s all I can say.

Apparently we are due some white stuff this weekend, an amber warning so I’ll nip out to the shops and stock up on a few bits, although I don’t need much.

Still a bit sniffy and achey, my legs were very painful yesterday. I’ve read up and it does seem that vaccines can trigger a fibro flare up so I’ll just need to rest when necessary.

The plumber fixed my new tap yesterday and cleaned out the outside drain for me. It came in at less than half of what I had budgeted for so very pleased.

Did I mention I have ordered some new specs and sunglasses. I couldn’t face going in to town and I really need them for my holiday so I thought I would try one of those online companies. Again they have come in at less than half of what I paid last time. I just hope I’ve done everything right......the prescription wasnt easy to read. Hope I’ve not messed it up.

Going to have another fairly quiet day and keep warm......I have found that keeping warm is the best thing when my fibro flares up, the warmth helps relax the muscles and ease the pain.

I’ve put the tree up so today I just need to wrap the presents and add a few finishing touches to the decorations.

I do like the run up to the solstice and Christmas, all the twinkly lights, lighting the fire and the candles, snuggling up with a glass of wine and either reading or watching a nice film. Winter does have its compensations and I can’t help but think how blessed and fortunate I am in my nice warm cosy house.

It’s certainly not the weather to be homeless.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 9th Dec 17, 7:09 PM
    • 1,716 Posts
    • 8,554 Thanks
    chanie
    lessons I love the idea of your cards. Most people have mobile phones, but your cards are handy for people you meet on your travels who may not carry a mobile with them.

I’ve had a really busy day today. We finished painting DDs bedroom. We started at 11am and finished before 6pm. We still have a few bits to finish off but the hard part is over. We can now pack away the decorating stuff and get the tree out.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 10th Dec 17, 9:00 AM
    • 998 Posts
    • 6,276 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I had such a fantastic evening on Friday. I went to see A Vision of Elvis at The Indigo 02. I loved it. I danced in my seat throughout the whole show. I could sing along to most of the songs as well, there were only a few that I did not know well enough.

Yesterday my eldest son and his 2 daughters came to visit us. We had a fun time together. I always make the best of the time we spend together as it is never as often as I would like it to be. We all lead busy lives and my son has 2 jobs. As his daughters live with their Mother, my son only has them at weekends and he works most Saturdays.

I am continuing to write out Christmas cards. I need to get the ones that need to be posted sent out this week.

It is snowing here in London today. I woke up to the snowfall. My least favourite weather. I had no plans to leave my home today. I had just planned to catch up on recorded TV programmes today. I am cosy and warm in my home and I am so thankful. There are so many homeless men and women on the streets of London, which is a crying shame.

LL you have just reminded me that I too have cards. They are business cards though. I had them printed for free when there was an offer and I wanted to offer my services as a qualified Nursery Nurse as a childminder. I never bothered to hand them out though. Maybe one day I will get the courage to start handing them out and hopefully make some extra money for my family.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 10th Dec 17, 10:42 AM
    • 10,220 Posts
    • 57,626 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies. Snow here today, it looks very pretty. However, I’m staying put, going to keep warm and cosy.

I am going to Chatsworth on Tuesday. I won’t be driving so I can sit back and enjoy the scenery. I bet the hills will still be covered in snow even if the city is clear.

Well I felt really poorly yesterday, thankfully I feel a bit better today so hopefully I’ve turned a corner now and it will be a case of onwards and upwards now. I knew I would be ill after my vaccinations so I did prepare well. Plenty of food in the house and did all my Christmas shopping well in advance.

I am going to just potter about for the next couple of days. As my late husband used to say “there’s nothing spoiling”. The tree is up, presents wrapped so I’m well ahead of myself. I need to get fully fit for Christmas and that holiday. At some point I need to have a trying on session and work out what clothes I’m taking.

I am going to try some yoga today. Just start with some gentle stretches. I have a massage booked for next Friday and a steroid injection for 4th Jan. I am managing to walk for about 1 hour each day without my knee brace, although I won’t bother today and didn’t manage it yesterday. I did manage to walk to the corner shop so not too bad yesterday.

SUgarbaby - your elvis evening sounds such fun......in fact I love to hear about you getting out and about. This will definitely be me next year. No more being the hermit, licking my wounds and missing my husband, I intend to get out there. i know he would want that for me.

Last night I watched “Salmon Fishing in the Yemen”. Absolutely delightful. I can thoroughly recommend. A real “feel good”movie, perfect for a dark winters night.

SUgarbaby......I know it’s hard but try not to worry too much about money., you are very good at budgeting and once you get your benefits sorted out I’m sure you will manage. You are a woman of so many talents and are very resourceful.

Hope you dont mind me saying this.,,...but if my husbands illness and death taught me one thing it’s this.......money is nothing, health is everything.

Of course we need money, we need a roof over our heads and food on the table, we need to keep warm. But In reality, if we have those three fundamentals and can pay our bills then we are rich.

My friend rose at 5.30 this morning to do her stint in a homeless shelter, helping to cook breakfast.

Can you imagine being homeless in this weather.......it hardly bears thinking about it. I sit here in my warm cosy house, with food in the cupboards. . As Christmas approaches I think about the strife in the world, the wars, the homeless and the destitute and I thank my lucky stars.

SUgarbaby......just look after yourself, get better, get stronger and healthier and try not to worry about returning to work until you are fit again.

I can just see you as a nursery nurse or childminder. I bet your young charges would adore you. Get well and go for it. Do you need to update your qualifications at all or would you be “ready to go”. I know you enjoyed your cleaning job but I sense that you would be really happy working with children.

Stay warm and well everyone.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 10th Dec 17, 12:52 PM
    • 998 Posts
    • 6,276 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

LL I used to love working with children. I absolutely love babies and children. The irony is that when I was doing childcare, I was never able to be there enough for my own children. There is always far too much unpaid paperwork that had to be done at home. You literally have the life of so many precious children in your hands. You are responsible for their early years education and development. I have never wanted to be a childminder as I did not want to do childcare in my own home and infringe on my children's rights to have their home to themselves. I have an NVQ Level 2 and Level 3 in Children's Care, Learning and Development, so my qualifications do not need updating. I would not be physically able to cope with the long hours and demands of childcare again with my ongoing health issues.

I have my already received my 1st payment of ESA. I have to complete a Capability for Work Questionnaire and also also attend a Health and Work Conversation appointment at my local Job Centre Plus on the 22nd December. Then I have to wait to find out if my claim for ESA will continue.

I can only continue to try to do everything in my own power to improve my health outcomes. Health is everything and in the final analysis it is the only thing that truly matters.

I am not particularly worried about money. I have lived in poverty for far too much of my life, so now, even on Benefits I have the skills to not just manage, but to flourish. I have a roof over our heads, all bills are up to date or in credit and I do not owe anyone so much as a penny, let alone a pound, so this is a time of plenty for me and my children, if you discount my health issues. My home is crammed to the rafters with items bought in bulk that are non perishable, especially laundry products, things to pamper our bodies and cleaning essentials. I have filled all available storage areas, so we have supplies to make our lives more comfortable as our available funds are reduced. Even before I had lost my job, I had reduced my weekly grocery spend by £20 so that the £20 could be spent on the Gas we would need for central heating. I refuse to be cold ever, so my central heating in on from 5.30am to 11pm every day until the warm weather finally arrives next year.

I decided to treat myself so I have bought myself many purchases from eBay that will give me joy. I may not have another time when I had such a decent amount of savings, so I decided to splurge on myself. I am definitely worth it!!!!

I am being quite circumspect about Christmas though, as less is more as far as I am concerned. Poundland has produced so many useful items that I wanted to buy to make Christmas even better this year for me and my children. My sisters and other family are only getting presents that cost less than £10, some cost less than £5 but will be gratefully received as I know the recipients so well. I had previously bought many of the Christmas presents throughout the year. I have begun to buy gifts for birthdays next year as there are bargains to be had, but again they are very modestly priced gifts.

I too loved 'Salmon Fishing in the Yemen' when I watched it.
    • maman
    • By maman 10th Dec 17, 3:48 PM
    • 17,172 Posts
    • 102,660 Thanks
    maman
    I've often wondered why you don't go back to nursery nursing sugarbaby. Maybe one day.

It's cold here but no snow. I've been out to football but I'm an old hand at wrapping up for such occasions. So thermal layer underneath, ski trousers and layers of wool jumpers under my Puffa. I didn't feel cold at all despite it being just 2 degrees.

A good night's dancing last night so tonight I'm going to take advantage of an evening in, cook us a nice meal and relax.

I've got a hair appointment booked for tomorrow so my hair will look right for Christmas although just having my fringe trimmed last week made a big difference. I'm thinking that I might have my nails done at some point this week too. It would be good to have a bright red for this time of the year.

ETA: I meant to add that it's great that your DD's bedroom will be sorted for Christmas chanie . Has she got new bedding etc or will Santa bring that?
    Last edited by maman; 10-12-2017 at 6:04 PM.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 10th Dec 17, 8:52 PM
    • 1,716 Posts
    • 8,554 Thanks
    chanie
    sugar it’s great that you have a well stocked home and still can have a few treats. Can. Ask how you reduced your shopping bill? Ours has crept up quite significanltly and want to reduce it if we can. We are now spending £80 a week and that in Lidl.
    When and if you want to return to work, have you thought about working in a school as a dinner lady or in the breakfast/after school childcare? My children go and enjoy it. It seems like a nice job as you get to spend time with the children, but it’s not physically demanding like your last role was.

Maman yes, we got new bedding for DD. It’s not an Xmas gift, as we also got DS new bedding when we did his room up. Their old bedding was spiderman/Disney princess stuff and was getting rather tatty. We got them stuff that wasn’t character related, so it should see them through for a bit longer.

This morning I woke up to DDs excited screams of ‘Its snowing’. It was completely no down quite heavy, but it hasn’t settled. We spent the day in doors, other then popping our briefly to run a few errands. We put up our tree this afternoon and the children are excited. I’m going to wrap a few prezzies now, so hav a nice evening.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 11th Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    • 998 Posts
    • 6,276 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Chanie,
    I do my weekly grocery shop online. I knew from past experience, that when the cold weather comes, in order to afford to have my central heating on all day, every day, then the money has to be trimmed off the weekly grocery bill. I just decide on the week that it turns cold and the central heating has to turned on, to reduce the weekly grocery bill by £20. Buying online works for my family, because whenever I have to reduce the weekly shop, I simply start making decisions about what is necessary to get us comfortably through the week as opposed to what I would like to buy. Then I will take items out of the basket online until the total is the sum that I want to spend that week.

I look at all of the special offers and price reductions online and start filling my basket with those. Sometimes we will try cheaper brands that we would not have tried before. If we like them then I will continue to buy them, if none of us particularly like them, they are never purchased again. Some weeks when I know my diary is not full of visits to the cinema, Karaoke and shows, then I will do more cooking from scratch. We all enjoy my own home cooking and we tend to eat smaller portions in the Autumn and Winter months because we are all less active. I will cut down on the snack foods and switch to own brand or cheaper alternatives from Lidl or Poundland. Yellow sticker food used to be found at seriously huge reductions even up to last year, but this year, they tend to be less than a pound reduction, so they are not worth buying most of the time for such a small saving.

You can use the online grocery websites to compare prices if you have the time and make your shopping lists accordingly.

If you prefer to go shopping as opposed to buying online, then you need to make a shopping list after looking at what you already have in stock at home and stick to it. Do not allow yourself to be swayed into buying special offers in store that you had no intention of purchasing.

I hope some of these tips may be useful to others on this thread even if they are not particularly helpful to you and your family Chanie
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

656Posts Today

4,804Users online

Martin's Twitter