Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Jan 17, 8:31 AM
    • 10,214Posts
    • 57,568Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World
    • 1st Jan 17, 8:31 AM
    Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World 1st Jan 17 at 8:31 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies

Welcome to the new Frump to Fab thread. A whole new world of frugal style and fabulousity. A place where we learn from each other how to be the best we can with the resources we have.

Can you be both frugal and fabulous, I think so. You can be both skint and stylish. You can have your cake and eat it, you can "live it large" on a minuscule budget.

So to all you newbies welcome. Join in the fun with the ladies in our fabulous online community. Here we discuss all things fabulous and we learn all about "fabbing".

Yes I know it's a made up word but what does it mean.

Well for us it means taking care of ourselves, our looks yes of course but it's more than "mere vanity".

"FAbbing" also means looking after our health, our well being, our homes, our careers, our hobbies, our interests and past times and not forgetting our finances.

ANd of course, it goes without saying, a verybig warm welcome to our regulars, returners, and lurkers.

So dear newbies Join in the fun with the ladies in our fabulous online community

Before we get started let me take this opportunity to wish you all A Very Happy, Peaceful and Prosperous New Year.

Today you may be busy with New Year's Day gatherings or you may Be feeling a little worse for wear after the New Years Eve Celebrations so for now we are going to be gentle.

No fasting, no detox (unless of course you want to) but I would advocate that we ease ourselves gently into the New Year by remembering our first mantra.

Step 1. Wear perfume. You should smell divine every day. Don't save your favourite fragrances "for best". Never again save anything for best. Don't we deserve to be the best we can be - every single day.

Ah but what about the cost I hear you say. This is a Money saving website after all.......

Well you don't have to douse yourself in your most expensive Dior or Chanel perfumes. A simple spray of cologne will still smell wonderful.

And one of the nicest smells of all is a waft of fresh clean soap. So if you can't afford perfume then at least make sure you are freshly washed or showered and use a lovely soap or shower gel.

So dig out some of those new smellies you got for Christmas and start using them.

Today's tip.

Got a perfume you don't like because it's too strong or heavy?? Dilute it.

Don't throw it away or regift it. Add it to some simple cream or lotion or even some vegetable oil and make a luxurious moisturising body treatment. The height of luxury and decadence for mere pennies.

I am still recovering from my chest infection.......feeling a lot better today but I'm still going to take it easy. So........I am going to spend some time today pondering on what I would like to achieve this year. I am not going to think in terms of New Years Resolutions it will be more a case of goal setting.

As most of you will know Dad died on Friday so much of January will entail making his funeral arrangements and sorting out his estate.
    This means that, realistically, I am going to be busy for the next couple of weeks so I might have to catch up with my new plans.

But.......just because I might not be posting everyday doesn't mean to
    Say that I won't be keeping a watchful eye on you. I shall be reading and observing!!!

So please start the new fabbing year without me and I'll catch up with you all again just as soon as I can.

Have a fabulous New Year's Day. See you all soon.

X
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 01-01-2017 at 2:09 PM.
Page 81
    • chanie
    • By chanie 27th Nov 17, 8:01 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 8,534 Thanks
    chanie
    sugar your poem is spot on. I love your last line about the Oak tree. I hope your washing machine company refund you the money for the wasted plumber visit. It’s outrageous that they can get away with doing a crappy job. White goods just aren’t built to last anymore.

Me and OH had the day off work today to spend together. We did a few errands and had lunch and by that time, we had to pick the children up from school. One of the errands I did was picking up the backpack I ordered. I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it, but it’s a keeper. It’s great when you get a timely reduction on something you wanted to order.
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £867.18
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 27th Nov 17, 9:49 PM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 20,660 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thank you very much Sugarbaby for sharing that poem with us.
    I have been resting up for a couple of days after a fall from my horse, nothing broken thankfully as my hard hat and back protector did their job, but I ache all over so have been indulging in plenty of warm baths with a muscle soak. Arnica is my new best friend
    We were out with a friend and her horse who suddenly spooked at something and bolted, my mare didn't want to be left behind so went too, I managed to stay on until we came to a crossroad in the bridle path, my girlie went right but I went left and hit the ground at about 30mph! Both horses galloped back to the yard and were quickly caught with no ill effects so all's well.
    What fun
    • maman
    • By maman 27th Nov 17, 10:33 PM
    • 17,128 Posts
    • 102,443 Thanks
    maman
    Oh dear lainey , that sounds like quite an adventure. I'm so pleased to hear you're recovering.

I enjoyed your poem Sugarbaby , simple thoughts from the heart but so well expressed.

I've had a chiropody appointment today so feet are very well groomed tonight. Podiatrist was impressed that I'd kept up the creaming since my last appointment and so am I! I've managed every day except when I was in Poland as I didn't have room for foot cream in my luggage. I did use a bit of body lotion after my shower. Pleased to say it's now part of my fabbing routine.

Had a great time dancing yesterday. I did wear my CS skirt and received compliments. I'm planning to wear it again on Friday when we go for our first Christmas lunch.

Glad you and DH had a good day together and that your bargain backpack is a keeper. It's my DD2's birthday today too.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 27th Nov 17, 11:01 PM
    • 993 Posts
    • 6,250 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Chanie, I hope your other half enjoyed his birthday, spending time with you and having lunch with you. You must have had fun together.

Lainey I am relieved to hear that you are not seriously injured and that your friend and the 2 horses all survived intact

Maman, I hope your daughter has enjoyed her birthday.

Thank you all for your honest thoughts on my poem, they are really appreciated. It is good for writer's like myself to get feedback on their creative work.
    • maman
    • By maman 28th Nov 17, 4:22 PM
    • 17,128 Posts
    • 102,443 Thanks
    maman
    Decided to do some pre Christmas fabbing today. I'm going to a few dances where I'll be wearing sleeveless dresses so I decided to put fake tan back into my routine. I've still got some of the Palmer's cocoa butter tan left although I had to cut the top of the container to get at it! Martin would be proud of me.I mixed a bit with my usual body lotion so I'll build it up gradually over the next week or so. First occasion is 7th December.

Hope all is well with you all.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 28th Nov 17, 9:08 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 8,534 Thanks
    chanie
    maman well done on the Xmas fabbing. I haven’t started mine yet. Your comment about gradual tanning reminded me of fabbing story. My mum bought me a dove gradual tanner when it first came out. I left it on my chest of drawers with the rest of my products. One day, OH told me he was worried as his palms and skin were going a funny colour. It took me a while to realise he was using my tanner. He normally ignores my products, but he must have seen the Dove logo and thought it was just a normal lotion.

Sugar i love the simplicity of your writing, but also that it’s very meaningful. Writing is not something I’ve tried to do outside of school, but reading your work has inspired me give it go.

Lainehope you are okay following your fall. I’ve not often been around horses much, so I wouldn’t know the back end from the front end. It’s good to know that you didn’t damage your sense of humour in the fall!
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £867.18
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 29th Nov 17, 12:05 AM
    • 993 Posts
    • 6,250 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I had a really nice night at Karaoke tonight. The vibe was really positive and there was lots of other singers apart from me and my friend.

Chanie I am glad you feel inspired to get creative and start writing. I hope it goes well for you

Maman good on you for restarting to gradually tan your arms. If it makes you feel better it is a great idea and you will feel happier when you are doing your dances in your sleeveless dresses.

I have treated myself to 3 pairs of Marks and Spencer leather gloves from eBay. They should arrive in the next 2 days as the sellers have all posted them to me. I have a black cashmere lined pair, a purple pair and a red pair on their way to me. I just wanted to have enough colours to mix and match with my existing clothes. Even though gloves are now on a 3 for 2 offer with Marks and Spencer, I still saved money buying them from eBay. I was inspired by LL's leather glove purchases for Christmas presents.
    • pirateyqueen
    • By pirateyqueen 29th Nov 17, 10:45 AM
    • 461 Posts
    • 3,173 Thanks
    pirateyqueen
    Going on holiday at the end of Jan with my younger sister (12 years younger than me) so need to get the fabbing back under way! I've been off the gym for a week as I've been so ill with a cold. Still feeling rough actually but I don't want to leave it much longer before heading back. I'm trying to take better care of my hair and will book in for a trim in the next few weeks. I'll do one of those baby foot peels at the beginning of Jan and gel polish too before we go away. I do not want to be the frumpy older sister!
    No more goo hoarding!

2017 UU: 46 IN: 16 TA: 1 Total: 47/78 2016 UU: 53 IN: 17 TA: 0 Total: 36/72
    2015 UU: 74 IN: 43 TA: 3 Total: 32/64
    2014 UU: 114 IN: 67 TA: 7 Total: 38/92
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 29th Nov 17, 11:05 AM
    • 10,214 Posts
    • 57,568 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies

SUgarbaby - what a beautiful poem. You are one every talented lady. And the gloves sound fab. Mine haven’t arrived yet.

Lainey.....gosh....I’m glad you are ok. Take care.

PQ. Great news about the holiday. Where are you going....you’ve got almost two months to make yourself gorgeous. I must admit I’m getting quite excited now about mine. I had the first of my vaccines yesterday.....feel a bit tired and delicate and my arm hurts like crazy. The big one....yellow fever ...... is next week. I am glad I have had them done in plenty of time.

Fabbing wise....I’ve bougnt some new concealer and B.B. cream to practise with. The mascara primer was a good buy, definitely makes a difference.

On the exercise front I’m steadily increasing my activity levels. I am up to 7k steps a day without my knee brace so,good progress there. I will book another steroid injection for my knee in time for my holiday..

Then after my holiday I intend to get serious at the gym.

Architect 1 turned out to be something of a stalker......I’ve had to block him. TBH I have more or less written off the idea of internet dating. My membership runs until May, I won’t be renewing but I’ll leave my profile up and see what happens.

Now here’s a strange thing.......I have noticed that men are paying me more attention.......Do I suddenly appear more attractive, am I sending out different vibes, is it my pheromones. whatever it is I notice their heads turn, And a few appreciative looks, lots of smiles and quite a few are going out of their way to speak, to hold doors open etc.

It’s all very gratifying.......for a long while I did feel invisible.

Maybe my chosen word for next year.....”Radiance” ......is already starting to work.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 29-11-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    • maman
    • By maman 29th Nov 17, 11:29 AM
    • 17,128 Posts
    • 102,443 Thanks
    maman
    good to see you PQ. A holiday in January is a brilliant idea. We've got a thought we might go to India probably February/March time. I need to look into it. You definitely don't want to look like the frumpy older sister so go for it (once you feel better of course).

Like the idea of coloured gloves too sugarbaby and LL. They can really brighten up a grey, winter day. Another thing I've noticed lately is coloured handbags. Both my DD's have lovely green and red ones, DD2 said she planned to buy blue with some of her birthday money and DD1 often carries a brightly patterned Orla Kiely bag . I tend to just lazily fall back on my faithful black one. Any views?

I'm interested in your progress with the steps and general fitness LL. When we were in Poland we visited a salt mine which involved going down hundreds (literally) of steps. My knees ached for days afterwards. I've already done about 5 hours dancing this week and plan to go again tonight but after two weeks away I feel achey. I suppose it must be different muscles? It's hard to know whether rest or exercise is best. I think I'm going to make myself choose continued exercise. I find it easy on the days I have a dance class or plan to walk with friends. Left to myself I can be incredibly lazy.

I was pleased with my fabbing last night. I was dancing with a friend of a similar age and happened to closely at her face I realised that my skin is much brighter so all the serum and creams are paying off. I've not worn any foundation at all yet this winter although I might for the evening events coming up. And you're right about confidence sugarbaby. I don't want pasty arms when I'm wearing a sleeveless dress so a little bit of fake tan will help a lot.

Loved the tale about your DH and the fake tan chanie! That'll teach him to use your products.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 29th Nov 17, 12:03 PM
    • 10,214 Posts
    • 57,568 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    I think coloured bags are a great idea....they can really lift a plain dark winter coat.

..I have several evening clutch bags all in different colours to either match or contrast my evening and cocktail dresses. I collect them.....usually from charity shops although I have picked up some nice ones from Amazon.....people now buy them for me as gifts.

I have actually started collecting vintage “classic” handbags off eBay. I was pipped at the post recently for A lovely red “Kelly”. I would really like a couple of Mulberry bags. They do some lovely colours. I need to save my pennies though, even on ebay they don’t come cheap.

Speaking of collections.....there was a lady on “Flog it”yesterday who was selling off her collection of silk scarves. She had bought them at charity shops, jumble sales. The most she ever paid was 50p for a Hermes scarf. Most of them were 10p or 20p. They were broken down into several lots and she made around £500.

Just goes to show......

I have just treated myself to some nice fashion and style books from Amazon....one of my little extravagances. I don’t spend much, in fact I pay more for the postage than I do for the books.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 29th Nov 17, 2:48 PM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 20,660 Thanks
    LaineyT
    I love leather gloves and have pairs in red, black and purple, have my eye out for a emerald green pair next....
    Another one in favour of coloured bags, with winter coats on the whole tending to be in darker tones it's lovely to carry something to make the whole outfit 'pop' a tad more, my favourite is a cherry red tote.
    Well my bruises are starting to fade thank goodness and I no longer wince when I turn over in bed, stand up, climb the stairs etc it's good to feel a bit better.

Have just taken advantage of some money off codes to send off for a new scarf in pinks and black forest checks plus a fair isle bobble hat for the yard, nice and cosy ready for the snow they say is coming to East Anglia over the next few days.

I did lol at your OH using the fake tan Chanie

Right, better dash over to the stables before the sun goes down, take care ladies x
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 29th Nov 17, 3:27 PM
    • 10,214 Posts
    • 57,568 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Chanie.....must have missed the bit about your OH and the fake tan. That’s hilarious.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 29th Nov 17, 5:32 PM
    • 993 Posts
    • 6,250 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

welcome PQ

Lainey I am glad you are continuing to slowly recover from your tumble

LL whatever you are doing, is so right for you, as you are now attracting so much male attention. I am so glad that you are no longer feeling invisible. Your inner confidence obviously shows. You might not find anyone through internet dating, but if you keep your options open, you are most probably going to find someone as you go about your normal life. I wish you well. Thank you for the compliment about my poem.

All 3 pairs of my leather gloves arrived via Royal Mail today and they are such great quality

I have so many coloured leather handbags and I also have a Lovely lilac and sequinned silk evening bag. I use some more than others. My 4 red leather handbags get the most use though. For everyday I use a black patent leather Osprey handbag. I do find that a coloured handbag gives an outfit a 'lift' in the way that a black handbag simply cannot do.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 29th Nov 17, 5:49 PM
    • 4,092 Posts
    • 33,715 Thanks
    Floss
    I like coloured bags too - I have a nude & black patent for spring/summer and a chocolate brown patent for autumn /winter. I also have my best bags, a black leather DKNY and a cobalt blue leather Kate Spade. Then I have deep purple, tan, brown, black and turquoise leather cross-body bags. Finally I have the Italian fine black leather bag bought for my mum by my dad in Florence in 1972 which comes out every so often for some polish and an outing
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Dec 17, 3:16 PM
    • 10,214 Posts
    • 57,568 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hello lovely ladies.

How are we all. Fab Friday again, have you joined in. I’m wearing skinny jeans and a new mustard coloured chunky sweater. Nice and cosy.

I had some of my vaccinations on Tuesday and felt a bit below par for a couple of days but I’m starting to perk up again. Just got to have the yellow fever one next Tuesday and then I’m done.

Went for a nice massage this morning and am just resting now.

During the last few days I have had a lovely time resting off the vaccine side effects.....felt like a touch of the flu. I have been reading and watching some nice films.

SUgarbaby....I think you are right about the renewed confidence shining through. Today my massage lady said she could see such a change in me, that I seemed really happy and carefree. I think you are both right .....I do feel different these days.......I think the holiday was a real turning point for me. “Goodbye to all the past sadness and hello to a new and hopeful future”.

Maybe it’s this which is giving off good vibes.

I didn’t meet my sister for sister for lunch In the end. I wasn’t bearing a grudge I just didn’t feel well enough. I rested quietly instead. I have found it’s good to say “no” sometimes.

I am going to have another quiet day tomorrow, catching up with mysel. I will give myself a facial and a few pampering treatments and then on Sunday a nice fun lunch with the Jolly Dolly ladies.

Loving all the bag and gloves chat......my new gloves arrived today. I’m Loving the bright colours, hope the girls like theirs too.

Have a great weekend, Keep warm. Lots of Hygge.
    • maman
    • By maman 1st Dec 17, 9:21 PM
    • 17,128 Posts
    • 102,443 Thanks
    maman
    I think you're right about the holiday being a turning point LL. Although it didnt go further with either of the Johns, it seemed to be the realisation that you were attractive to them gave you the lift you needed.

Sorry to hear that the injections had side effects but sadly it's common. I think you were right to postpone lunch with your sister and put yourself first. I know it wasn't deliberate but it won't do any harm to show her that you aren't pushing yourself and making yourself ill for others. You've done enough of that.

I did join in Fab Friday. We've been out for the first of our Christmas events today. It was with a group of friends we meet every month but at Christmas we go to a fancy country hotel. As planned I wore my new CS skirt but today with a fine knit black jumper and opaques. I think the tights were a bit heavy but it was so cold. Another time I might try knee length boots.

Have a good weekend all, whatever you're up to.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 2nd Dec 17, 11:32 AM
    • 993 Posts
    • 6,250 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I went to the Leicester Square Theatre on Thursday evening to see the comedian Nik Rabinowitz. I had such an enjoyable evening, I laughed from the 1st minute until the end of the show one and a half hours later. My stomach muscles still feel as if I did a huge amount of sit ups, 2 days later. I laughed until I cried so many times. The icing on the cake was that I had a free ticket, so it only cost me the bus fare to and from the theatre.

On Friday evening, I went to my sit down poetry open mic event. I did a couple of older poems and my newest poem which is entitled My Friend Deirdre, which I wrote yesterday. Deirdre was embarrassed when I was reading aloud the poem, because I sing her praises so much, but when I was finished she said the poem was the biggest compliment.

I am going to the theatre again tonight and a film preview tomorrow. So I have a full weekend planned. I am looking forward to both events.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 2nd Dec 17, 11:58 AM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 20,660 Thanks
    LaineyT
    That comic show sounds fantastic Sugarbaby and what a great idea, laughing ourselves to a six pack

Think that I have mentioned that my eldest niece has her own beauty business? well last night I went along to the Christmas party at her salon, the client turnout was a tad disappointing but the family turned out in force so it was all very jolly. I picked up a couple of little stocking fillers plus a couple of treats for myself, a lovely lemon scented hand sanitizer for my handbag and a scented candle. I also booked myself in for a facial in a couple of weeks time, plumped for the luxury anti-aging one to really give my skin a boost ahead of the festive period. She also gave me a couple of little trial size products to use ahead of time, love a freebie

Most of my bruises have gone but unfortunately I seem to have been left with a problem with my right elbow, have been suffering with a little tendinitis for a couple of months now but since my fall it's been really painful so have made a docs appointment for next week and will ask to be referred for some physio, hopefully that will help.

Not many plans for the weekend but have various things on the go for next week so will take advantage of the quiet to recharge batteries a bit, have a good weekend everyone x
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 2nd Dec 17, 10:55 PM
    • 993 Posts
    • 6,250 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Lainey it is a real shame that you are suffering pain in your right elbow, I hope that you will be referred for physiotherapy in a timely manner and that it gives you a really good result. What a treat you had in your niece's salon and you have your facial to look forward to as well.

I went to see the play Heisenberg: The Uncertainty Principle. It was a love story which develops after a chance meeting on a train. It starred Anne Marie Duff and Kenneth Cranham who are superb actors. They are the only 2 characters in the play, yet they are so captivating as their love story unfolds and they fill the stage with their presence. I loved the chemistry between them. I had a free ticket for this play which saved me £43. I would give this play 9/10
    Last edited by sugarbaby125; 03-12-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

348Posts Today

1,456Users online

Martin's Twitter