Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Jan 17, 8:31 AM
    • 10,078Posts
    • 56,680Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World
    • 1st Jan 17, 8:31 AM
    Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World 1st Jan 17 at 8:31 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies

Welcome to the new Frump to Fab thread. A whole new world of frugal style and fabulousity. A place where we learn from each other how to be the best we can with the resources we have.

Can you be both frugal and fabulous, I think so. You can be both skint and stylish. You can have your cake and eat it, you can "live it large" on a minuscule budget.

So to all you newbies welcome. Join in the fun with the ladies in our fabulous online community. Here we discuss all things fabulous and we learn all about "fabbing".

Yes I know it's a made up word but what does it mean.

Well for us it means taking care of ourselves, our looks yes of course but it's more than "mere vanity".

"FAbbing" also means looking after our health, our well being, our homes, our careers, our hobbies, our interests and past times and not forgetting our finances.

ANd of course, it goes without saying, a verybig warm welcome to our regulars, returners, and lurkers.

So dear newbies Join in the fun with the ladies in our fabulous online community

Before we get started let me take this opportunity to wish you all A Very Happy, Peaceful and Prosperous New Year.

Today you may be busy with New Year's Day gatherings or you may Be feeling a little worse for wear after the New Years Eve Celebrations so for now we are going to be gentle.

No fasting, no detox (unless of course you want to) but I would advocate that we ease ourselves gently into the New Year by remembering our first mantra.

Step 1. Wear perfume. You should smell divine every day. Don't save your favourite fragrances "for best". Never again save anything for best. Don't we deserve to be the best we can be - every single day.

Ah but what about the cost I hear you say. This is a Money saving website after all.......

Well you don't have to douse yourself in your most expensive Dior or Chanel perfumes. A simple spray of cologne will still smell wonderful.

And one of the nicest smells of all is a waft of fresh clean soap. So if you can't afford perfume then at least make sure you are freshly washed or showered and use a lovely soap or shower gel.

So dig out some of those new smellies you got for Christmas and start using them.

Today's tip.

Got a perfume you don't like because it's too strong or heavy?? Dilute it.

Don't throw it away or regift it. Add it to some simple cream or lotion or even some vegetable oil and make a luxurious moisturising body treatment. The height of luxury and decadence for mere pennies.

I am still recovering from my chest infection.......feeling a lot better today but I'm still going to take it easy. So........I am going to spend some time today pondering on what I would like to achieve this year. I am not going to think in terms of New Years Resolutions it will be more a case of goal setting.

As most of you will know Dad died on Friday so much of January will entail making his funeral arrangements and sorting out his estate.
    This means that, realistically, I am going to be busy for the next couple of weeks so I might have to catch up with my new plans.

But.......just because I might not be posting everyday doesn't mean to
    Say that I won't be keeping a watchful eye on you. I shall be reading and observing!!!

So please start the new fabbing year without me and I'll catch up with you all again just as soon as I can.

Have a fabulous New Year's Day. See you all soon.

X
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 01-01-2017 at 2:09 PM.
Page 71
    • chanie
    • By chanie 4th Oct 17, 1:07 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 8,024 Thanks
    chanie
    Indie thanks for the update, I've been wondering how you've been doing.

sugar I agree with Maman about Wayne. Maybe its just not worth the hassle.

Maman I find the best time to cream my feet is just before bed, that way, I can relax whilst the cream absorbs and I'm not leaving marks all over the carpet.

Fingers crossed, I should get a nice relaxing Friday to myself. I have ordered quite a few bits and pieces via Click and Collect for Friday, including my new winter coat. Hopefully, this one will be better quality than the last one. I may also treat myself to a nice lunch somewhere, as I still haven't booked my birthday 'me' day yet.
    Last edited by chanie; 04-10-2017 at 1:11 PM.
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £761.68
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 4th Oct 17, 5:07 PM
    • 1,604 Posts
    • 18,920 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Lovely to see you posting Indie sounds like you are having a busy old time!

Re Wayne Sugarbaby can I quote dear old Del Boy and say what a 42 carat plonker he really is!

Another one here who creams her feet before bedtime, only with the hand cream that sits in my bedside cabinet but do my hands & feet before swinging my legs into bed, only way I can remember.
    Nursing a bit of a cold here so wrapped up warm in fleece and leggings sipping on a hot honey and lemon, most chores are up to date so will have a bit of me time.
    • maman
    • By maman 4th Oct 17, 5:48 PM
    • 16,874 Posts
    • 100,820 Thanks
    maman
    I know you're right chanie and Lainey. the chiropodist said that the best time was night time as when we're at rest our bodies can focus on repair. But the morning has to be better than nothing and I recall that creams can soak in well after a shower. I think I'll put some cream by my bed to see if I can remember that too. Who knows I might get in twice a day!

Hope you feel better soon Lainey. I don't want to tempt fate but DH has had a cold/cough for weeks and is amazed that I haven't caught it from him.

Glad you're looking forward to some 'me' time on Friday chanie. Do let us know if your online buys will be keepers.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 4th Oct 17, 9:19 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 8,024 Thanks
    chanie

Glad you're looking forward to some 'me' time on Friday chanie. Do let us know if your online buys will be keepers.
    Originally posted by maman
    I have signed up to a scheme where if I buy stuff online, the childrenís school gets a donation, so Iíve been doing a lot of click and connect purchases recently, even when items may be in store. But I quite like click and connect as it guarantees me the item, particularly as I only have Fridays for kinda runnng around.

Most of my purchases are presents, so I doubt Iíll be returning anything. I have 90% keep rate for online purchases and because I know what suits me.
    • Tiggger
    • By Tiggger 4th Oct 17, 10:10 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 592 Thanks
    Tiggger
    London meet-up
    Ladies,
    having failed to get on the circulation list for information about the proposed London meet-up next week may I ask if it going ahead? I know there was talk of postponing it because Lessons Learned wasn't able to attend but I'm unsure of the final decision. Please could someone update me, by PM if you prefer.

Many thanks!
    • maman
    • By maman 5th Oct 17, 12:04 AM
    • 16,874 Posts
    • 100,820 Thanks
    maman
    Ladies,
    having failed to get on the circulation list for information about the proposed London meet-up next week may I ask if it going ahead? I know there was talk of postponing it because Lessons Learned wasn't able to attend but I'm unsure of the final decision. Please could someone update me, by PM if you prefer.

Many thanks!
    Originally posted by Tiggger
    Sorry tigger. You're right, we decided to postpone until LL was feeling fit enough to travel. Fortunately she's now much better and has gone on a short cruise. We'll, no doubt, talk about it again when she gets back. Watch this space! 😃

How are things with you.?
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 6th Oct 17, 12:16 AM
    • 924 Posts
    • 5,778 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Wayne is history. It was not worth trying to maintain any kind of friendship with him. I have too many demands on my time as it is without wasting any more time on him.

Take today. I had 3 loads of laundry to get done before I went to work. Then when my Tesco shopping was delivered, I realised I had bought too much fresh chicken to put into my ultra small freezer space. I then had to cut a whole chicken into pieces and remove the skin and remove the skin from a kilo of chicken drumsticks and season all of the chicken. Then I had to cook the 2 trays of chicken, in between getting the wet washing tumble dried. Then after lunch, I had a lovely relaxing, pampering bath and got myself ready for work.

I was having chest pains throughout the morning, even though I had taken my pain killers, but being ultra busy not only gets the housework done, it distracts me from the pain.I continued to have chest pains at work as well, but I just got on with it.

We had a new male cleaner start work on Friday and he only went and quit today! We are all shocked. Apparently he felt that the work was not right for him, but I think he was just work-shy. Some people just do not see any value in working.

Chanie I hope you have a really enjoyable Friday.
    • Tiggger
    • By Tiggger 6th Oct 17, 7:57 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 592 Thanks
    Tiggger
    Thanks Maman for the update about the meet-up. Hopefully we can re-schedule soon.

Things are busy here at the moment, so not as much fabbing as Iíd like but I did have my nails done yesterday with gel polish. I also have a beauty appointment on Monday for my brows so next week starts well on the fabbing front!

Iím struggling to find Ďskinnyí black work trousers to go with a lovely new tunic that Iíve purchased, Iíve always bought them in a longer length from Planet and Wallis but Planet is no more and Wallis seem to have stopped their tall range. Any ideas people?
    • chanie
    • By chanie 6th Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 8,024 Thanks
    chanie
    sugar although you are busy, you are productive and get a lot done. Pleased to see that you got to have a nice soak in the bath.

My ‘me’ day was busy, but in a nice way. I was going to treat myself to a nice lunch, but thought breakfast would be easier, so I went to Ikea and had fry up for £2.30. I went to town after and picked up my various orders. Luckily, they are all keepers. I then went to Costco to buy DD something for her new bedroom.

OH told me that he also bought DD the same item and we missed each other at Costco by 20 minutes. I had asked OH to get the item, but he’s had a bug, so hasn’t been feeling well this week. I totally forgot about the item until I was in town, so whilst I was out, I decided to pick it up myself as they only had a few in stock.

As my breakfast was so cheap, I decided to treat myself to a bath bomb whilst in town so by the time I’d got back home and had my soak, it was time to pick up the children.

Progress on the children’s room stalled last week, but that was due to being busy and needing a lazy weekend. Luckily, it isn’t a big job and all that’s left to do is finishing off some glossing and paint the walls. Then it’s about making the room nice for DS, with shelves, curtains and bedding.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 8th Oct 17, 12:26 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 5,778 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I went to Reggaeoke last night and had a really enjoyable evening. I even got up enough courage to get up on stage and sing Tease Me by Chaka Demus and Pliers. It is not an easy song to sing on your own but I was glad that I gave it a try. Even though I sing at Karaoke in a pub quite often, this is a bigger deal, as there are far more people and you are on a stage in front of everyone. It was far more nerve wracking. I had promised my daughter that I would sing at least one song and I did not want to let her or myself down.

I am feeling tired and my arms are painful despite painkillers so I am going to have a restful, relaxing day.

I hope you all have a good Sunday.
    • maman
    • By maman 8th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    • 16,874 Posts
    • 100,820 Thanks
    maman
    Sounds like you had a good 'me' day after all chanie.

I'm interested in you getting the bath bomb and having a soak. We're one of the many families that has a bath but never uses it. I can see that perhaps it's a good idea to have one with young children but these days it seems like a waste of space. Any views?

This past week I've been putting away my more summery clothes and having a sort through while I'm at it. I've got a bag for the CS but pleased to say that I'm keeping most of my stuff. I've just got one drawer left to go through of winter scarves and gloves but don't think too much in there to discard.

I've also been into the city centre a couple of times on errands (and hope to again this week to pick up my new glasses) and I've been browsing the autumn/winter stuff. I'm quite pleased that I have lots of the colours and styles that seem to be on offer already in my wardrobe.

Sorry but I haven't really looked for black work trousers tigger. I was working part time until Easter but found myself wearing trousers less and less in favour of dresses/skirts and opaque tights. I know they don't get much right but you could try M&S or maybe Zara. The one pair I have left came from New Look but it's a bit hit and miss in there.

Pleased to say I'm keeping up with the foot creaming. I've also bought more body lotion for everyday. Sugar, I know you're a great one for layering perfumes. Do you keep stuff for going out or use it every day? I've got a number of tubes of Clarins Eau Dynamissant body lotion (from gift sets) but it seems a waste to use it when I'm not going anywhere.

It's bright and sunny here. Hope everyone's enjoying their weekend.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 8th Oct 17, 7:38 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 8,024 Thanks
    chanie
    sugar I know Tease Me by Chaka Demus and Pliers. It’s good that you can take yourself out of your comfort zone and try a challenging song.

Maman we only have a bath in our house. We have a shower extension, but it’s difficult to regulate the temperature. Most people I know have baths in their homes, rather than showers. MIL repacked her bath with a shower and then change it back a couple of years later.

Tigger I bought some black trousers from Sainsbury’s, which were cotton. Also try Uniqlo. I have th opposite problem to you in that I’m short, so the only problem I have with length, is getting stuff taken up.

We had a nice fun day yesterday. I got some cheap tickets to a beach fairground and I’ve been sitting on them for months. The tickets expire soon and we’ve been putting off using them. The weather wasn’t brilliant, but it did mean we got straight onto the rides.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 9th Oct 17, 11:20 AM
    • 924 Posts
    • 5,778 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Maman, one thing this thread has taught me is not to keep good quality body lotions, perfumes, toiletries for 'best'. I use my favourite perfume every day and any day that I want to pamper myself a bit more, I will use some of the matching products to give myself a bit of a boost.

The sad thing is that people are given top quality products to pamper themselves with as gifts and if they set them aside for 'best', they may leave the products so long, that they go 'off'. This is such a shame when a friend or female family member admits that this has happened, as it is such a waste of money.

Maman,
    keep creaming your feet every night, it will be worth the effort. As a Black woman, I have to cream my legs, feet, arms and hands every day. When it comes to my hands they are creamed many times a day, as I am always having to wash them often throughout each day.

My grandson paid a short visit to our home last night and we were all so pleased to see him. I read him the poem that I had wrote that was inspired by him and he loved the poem, it really made him laugh out loud.
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 16,874 Posts
    • 100,820 Thanks
    maman

Maman, one thing this thread has taught me is not to keep good quality body lotions, perfumes, toiletries for 'best'. I use my favourite perfume every day and any day that I want to pamper myself a bit more, I will use some of the matching products to give myself a bit of a boost.
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125

I thought you'd say that sugar.

Although I don't belong to the using up toiletries thread I am trying hard to use all the bits and pieces I have and then just buy my favourites. That way everyday will be using my 'best' products. Unfortunately, without sounding ungrateful, I do sometimes get given stuff that I wouldn't have chosen for myself and the mse in me makes me use it up.

I have stuck to creaming my feet every day using up the fruity hand cream that I'm not over fond of. I'm loving the Clinique face wash that I bought although still using up a Superdrug one (not so foamy).

One of the things I've learned is that I was probably using more product than was needed before. I find if I rub my moisturiser , for example, between my palms to 'warm it up' then it goes much further. It's something I've watched beauticians doing. It does mean it takes much longer to use things up though!

Hair appointment for me this afternoon. I'm having highlights as well as a cut. I'm hoping to go to a talk on Turner this evening but my back is sore (worn disk that flares up occasionally) so I'm not sure about sitting still for a couple of hours. Hopefully I'll feel better by this evening.

Hope everyone is well. I think LL might be back from the cruise soon. I think it was a week.
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 9th Oct 17, 2:08 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Hello fellow 'Fabbers'

Had a lovely day out yesterday - the weather here was glorious Started off in Weymouth - had a walk along the quay where the obligatory fish & chips were consumed , then went for a long walk along the beach & ended up at Ringstead Bay and watched the most beautiful sunset - it was the sort of day that makes you feel glad to be alive

Maman - I have started to use my good quality body lotions etc. for everyday use, otherwise as Sugar so rightly says, if you keep them for 'best' they end up going off before you are anywhere near finishing them Hope your back feels better soon and that your hair appointment goes well. My last one was a bit disappointing as my usual stylist was off work but they hadn't bothered telling me and I ended up with someone different - she cut it too short at the sides but left it too long on the top

Glad you had a nice 'me day' Chanie - we all need them occasionally

Had my usual bi-monthly facial last week which I thoroughly enjoy - it was so relaxing I almost nodded-off

Have noticed that my weight has started to creep up over the Summer - fish & chips yesterday won't help either - it is only a bit as I normally hover somewhere between 8st 6lb & 8st 12lb but when I weighed myself this morning I was 9st dead - must get a grip on it before it goes any further
    • chanie
    • By chanie 9th Oct 17, 9:44 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 8,024 Thanks
    chanie

Maman - I have started to use my good quality body lotions etc. for everyday use, otherwise as Sugar so rightly says, if you keep them for 'best' they end up going off before you are anywhere near finishing them
    Originally posted by sukeyboo
    I agree, donít save anything for best. I had a load of products that I ended up having to throw away as I saved them for best and they ended up going off. I then took the decision to use everything up. It took me about a year to get through all of the body wash and creams that I had. Another benefit was that it meant I didnít have to buy anything for ages, so very MSE. Now, if I do get bought any toiletries, I removing the excess packaging and put in the toiletries box so when Iím running low, Iíll pick something out.

Sukey you Sunday sounds perfect. One of the downsides of living in a London is being 30+ miles from the coast.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 11th Oct 17, 12:31 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 5,778 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Maman if you are gifted products that you really feel you would prefer not to use up, then donate them to your local Charity shop. No waste involved and others benefit from your donation.

I know what products suit my skin and my body, so if I am given gifts of skincare items that I would not use in any capacity, then I donate them unopened to one of my local Charity shops.

I went to Karaoke last night and had a good evening, even though I was feeling quite exhausted. As there was only a few of us at Karaoke it ended an hour early at 11pm and I was thankful.

I wanted to go to the cinema this morning, but I was too tired after waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to get back to sleep until over an hour later.

I have had a restful morning at home instead.
    Last edited by sugarbaby125; 12-10-2017 at 9:47 PM.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 11th Oct 17, 9:17 PM
    • 1,636 Posts
    • 8,024 Thanks
    chanie
    Exciting news!! I saw Pippa Middleton/Matthews/aunt to our future monarch today.

I was walking to work and she rode past me on her bike, but as we were at a junction, she had to wait for the traffic to clear before riding on, so I got a good few seconds look. Here is my analysis:

You can tell she has money, as although she wasn’t wearing anything to make herself standout, her clothes had that subtle expensiveness about, which I think comes from the small details like fitting well, good quality materials etc.

She wasn’t wearing a helmet (naughty Pippa) but not a hair was out of place.

Her make up was very natural, although she did look a bit orange, but that could have been a tan.

She was wearing a tan mac, black 7/8th trousers and leopard print slipper shoes. Shoes were in perfect condition.

Her bike was one of those old fashioned ones that women in villages in the 1950s would ride. My boss asked if it had a basket on the front, but I don’t think it did. It was all very hipster.

Don’t mean this nastily, but what stood out for me was that she has all the resources for fabbing:
    As she doesn’t yet have children or other dependents, she has the time to make herself look good in the mornings.
    Living in Central London means that she can have gentle bike rides and still arrive looking flawless.
    She probably doesn’t work full time and has a nice job isn’t too stressful.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 12th Oct 17, 11:34 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 5,778 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I had a terrible pain filled time of it, last night, so I only got just over 2 hours sleep. I still had to go to work today though.

As I only work term time, tomorrow is my last day at work for this half term. I will have 2 non-working weeks to get lots of rest and do the social events I enjoy.

I am going out for a night of dancing tomorrow night. I will have a quick bath and get dressed up and go and enjoy myself, even though I will no doubt be a bit tired. I am going to wear make up and layer my perfume, just to give my self esteem a boost. I am not happy having gained too much weight and even though I have begun to lose weight, I have a long way to go yet before I once again feel totally comfortable in my own skin.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 13th Oct 17, 8:59 AM
    • 1,604 Posts
    • 18,920 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Hope you feel a tad better today Sugarbaby you must be looking forward to the next two weeks, enjoy!
    Ooh how exciting Chanie like you say sometimes you can tell when clothes are expensive etc.

Hello ladies,

Well today is fab Friday, not sure I would qualify in jeans and jumper but I need to go through the house this morning so comfort is required!
    Now that Lulu is finally starting to settle in hopefully I will start to get more of a routine going, with all appointments etc it's been a bit of fire fighting the last few weeks and feel that I have done of the minimum fabbing required to get through. I saw my eldest niece yesterday who has her own make-up/beauty business and have promised to come in for more regular treatments, even if it's just a facial once a month I feel my skin would benefit. She uses Eve Taylor products which she rates very highly so will let you know how I get on with them.
    My mental and physical health has certainly improved so happy with that!

Have a good Friday ladies, love to all x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,296Posts Today

8,384Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin