Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Jan 17, 8:31 AM
    • 9,711Posts
    • 54,544Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World
    • 1st Jan 17, 8:31 AM
    Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World 1st Jan 17 at 8:31 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies

Welcome to the new Frump to Fab thread. A whole new world of frugal style and fabulousity. A place where we learn from each other how to be the best we can with the resources we have.

Can you be both frugal and fabulous, I think so. You can be both skint and stylish. You can have your cake and eat it, you can "live it large" on a minuscule budget.

So to all you newbies welcome. Join in the fun with the ladies in our fabulous online community. Here we discuss all things fabulous and we learn all about "fabbing".

Yes I know it's a made up word but what does it mean.

Well for us it means taking care of ourselves, our looks yes of course but it's more than "mere vanity".

"FAbbing" also means looking after our health, our well being, our homes, our careers, our hobbies, our interests and past times and not forgetting our finances.

ANd of course, it goes without saying, a verybig warm welcome to our regulars, returners, and lurkers.

So dear newbies Join in the fun with the ladies in our fabulous online community

Before we get started let me take this opportunity to wish you all A Very Happy, Peaceful and Prosperous New Year.

Today you may be busy with New Year's Day gatherings or you may Be feeling a little worse for wear after the New Years Eve Celebrations so for now we are going to be gentle.

No fasting, no detox (unless of course you want to) but I would advocate that we ease ourselves gently into the New Year by remembering our first mantra.

Step 1. Wear perfume. You should smell divine every day. Don't save your favourite fragrances "for best". Never again save anything for best. Don't we deserve to be the best we can be - every single day.

Ah but what about the cost I hear you say. This is a Money saving website after all.......

Well you don't have to douse yourself in your most expensive Dior or Chanel perfumes. A simple spray of cologne will still smell wonderful.

And one of the nicest smells of all is a waft of fresh clean soap. So if you can't afford perfume then at least make sure you are freshly washed or showered and use a lovely soap or shower gel.

So dig out some of those new smellies you got for Christmas and start using them.

Today's tip.

Got a perfume you don't like because it's too strong or heavy?? Dilute it.

Don't throw it away or regift it. Add it to some simple cream or lotion or even some vegetable oil and make a luxurious moisturising body treatment. The height of luxury and decadence for mere pennies.

I am still recovering from my chest infection.......feeling a lot better today but I'm still going to take it easy. So........I am going to spend some time today pondering on what I would like to achieve this year. I am not going to think in terms of New Years Resolutions it will be more a case of goal setting.

As most of you will know Dad died on Friday so much of January will entail making his funeral arrangements and sorting out his estate.
    This means that, realistically, I am going to be busy for the next couple of weeks so I might have to catch up with my new plans.

But.......just because I might not be posting everyday doesn't mean to
    Say that I won't be keeping a watchful eye on you. I shall be reading and observing!!!

So please start the new fabbing year without me and I'll catch up with you all again just as soon as I can.

Have a fabulous New Year's Day. See you all soon.

X
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 01-01-2017 at 2:09 PM.
Page 56
    • Floss
    • By Floss 14th Jul 17, 7:21 PM
    • 3,656 Posts
    • 28,240 Thanks
    Floss
    Sugar baby I think I would have got up & left, well done for sticking it out!

Indie glad you enjoyed Scotland, it's a gorgeous country for walks.

Have been to my baby brothers graduation today - but had been a bit uncomfortable & fidgety all day and realised, when I just changed out of my smart clothes, that the bra I was wearing wasn't underwired (have no idea how I managed to buy 2 non-wired bras as have worn them for 25+ years and my 34DDs need the support!), which explained everything... I felt so much better when I changed it!
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 15th Jul 17, 8:57 AM
    • 811 Posts
    • 4,886 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hi Ladies,

Maman, I have not been going to Karaoke, as I would normally do a lot of energetic dancing at Karaoke and that would bring on chest pain and make my heart rhythm become erratic. I simply can not sit still if my body hears music that I like. I really miss Karaoke and dance nights.

I am sticking to social pursuits that allow me to sit down more than dance around, like going to the cinema, the theatre and other shows.

I had an appointment with my physiotherapist on Thursday and she was really pleased with the progress that I had made in 2 weeks since my 1st appointment with her. I was having chest pains that day despite taking painkillers, so I was a bit wheezy and breathless, but I still did the exercises she had set me. I have to continue with the original four sets of exercises and add 1 more set of exercise now.

By the time September comes I expect to be more or less back to my normal flexibility and to not be experiencing muscle pain or stiffness.

Floss, your bra tale made me laugh. As I am flat chested, I rarely wear a bra and as I have gained too much weight, the bras I do own are tight at the moment, so I avoid wearing them most days.

Indie, you have done so well in your professional career and you also spend time and money on the social adventures and experiences that make you happy. You seem to have a good work/life balance. Be proud of your achievements as I am sure you have had to work very hard for them.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 15th Jul 17, 9:24 AM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 16,328 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning lovely ladies,

Have been gradually catching up on your posts after a busy week.

Sugarbaby how horrid that the comedian was downright offensive, good for you for making your feelings known via the review.
    Indie ah Scotland, we spent a lot of holidays there as children as my darling Dad was of the mind that we should be out in the fresh air rather than laying on a beach so hill walking and pony trekking were our main activities
    LL was pleased to read that your sister has upped her monetary offer but even more so that you are sceptical about her reasons, you are a sensible lady who won't be used in that way again.
    Floss I always wear underwired as well and wouldn't feel quite 'in' without!

Well, certainly had a fab Friday as we went to the races, it's my favourite meeting of the year, the Moët and Chandon July festival and Friday is Gentleman's Day. We always get dressed up to go and this year was no exception. The weather wasn't so kind, cloudy and breezy so I plumped for a navy dress with a silver grey bird pattern, a silver grey cropped cashmere cardie with 3/4 sleeves, my accent colour was red so suede effect mules in that colour with a red clutch bag. I don't tend to wear red lipstick as struggle to find one that suits but I spoke to a lady on the Est!e Lauder counter and she suggested a lovely shade which surprisingly made my blue eyes 'pop' more. I felt glamorous and thoroughly enjoyed my day, especially the people watching
    We had a few flutters on the horses, personally I had two winners and two places so came home with money to spare, all in all a perfect day.
    Boy do my feet know I wore heels and stood around a lot
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 15th Jul 17, 10:39 AM
    • 9,711 Posts
    • 54,544 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Lainey.....I love going to the races. Well done on your wins, and your outfit sounds fab. Rest those feet today.

Well I am having one last final painting dining chairs session. 6 chairs and 4 to 5 coats of paint on each chair is a LOT of paininting. The barley twist legs and struts are very fiddly. I still need to do the bookcase, tv unit and coffee table but I am going to have to take a break. I'm all painted out for now.

DS2 is off next week so he will be doing most the bedroom, very high ceilings. I will give him a hand but just do the easy bits.

I think I shall be losing the cat at the next of next week so I can then tidy up the garden, and replant where kitty has dug stuff up. I want to get it really nice for next year and don't want to spend too much on mature plants for an "instant garden". So if I plant now they will be a decnt size by next year and should make a good show for when the house goes on the market.

I have been thinking about the coming winter and how to thrive whilst living alone. Main reason is I really don't like driving at night so I will be spending quite a few winter evenings "home alone".

I have decided that in addition to my usual winter preparations and getting cosy I shall be doing some serious Hygge. I have started by buying books, and some DVDs to stockpile. I've also started recording films on the TV to watch later. Of course I shall be away for the worst of the winter - January and February so I don't think I'll find it too difficult to cope.

I don't mind my own company as long as I have interesting things to do. However, I don't want to fall in to the habit of watching Junk TV just to pass the time. Of course I will still get out and about during the day. And the big plus is that living where I am then a taxi into the city for a night out won't break the bank.

As much as I like the countryside I am learning that there a lot of advantages to city living. I had to smile yesterday when I was in the charity shop. The volunteers, all ladies of a certain age, were discussing the pros and cons of keeping their cars, and when to give up driving. I think where you live has considerable bearing on that decision.

Much as I like having a car I could live here without one. Something to think about when I do eventually buy my "forever home".

Sugarbaby. Good to hear that you are feeling better. Fingers crossed for you.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 15-07-2017 at 10:42 AM.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 15th Jul 17, 12:56 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 16,328 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thank you LL we are extremely lucky living so close to Newmarket and make an effort to go several times a year but have to say the July festival is my favourite, people seem to make more of an effort to dress up, it's not quite Ascot but close.
    It's nice to have projects and ideas to think about isn't it, I recently ordered a couple of secondhand books and they arrived this morning, one is a field guide to the wild flowers of Britain and the other is also a field guide but to the trees and shrubs. I love walking in the countryside but my knowledge of the flora and fauna is woefully limited so have decided to change that, not sure how my little dog will feel about me keep stopping to stare though, being a spaniel she's forever on the move!
    • maman
    • By maman 15th Jul 17, 1:37 PM
    • 16,237 Posts
    • 96,934 Thanks
    maman
    Your post put me in mind of this poem Lainey.

Leisure

William Henry Davies

What is this life if, full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare.
    No time to stand beneath the boughs
    And stare as long as sheep or cows.
    No time to see, when woods we pass,
    Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
    No time to see, in broad daylight,
    Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
    No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
    And watch her feet, how they can dance.
    No time to wait till her mouth can
    Enrich that smile her eyes began.
    A poor life this if, full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 15th Jul 17, 3:27 PM
    • 9,711 Posts
    • 54,544 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Love that poem.

Well the chairs are finished. And so am I. I'm done for.

Going to sit outside with a book. It's a bit chilly so might need some throws. But it will get me away from the smell of paint.
    • indiepanda
    • By indiepanda 16th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 6,139 Thanks
    indiepanda
    Indie......I wouldnt worry too much, you sound pretty astute to me. You have a good career, house, pension etc. Sounds like you have the basics in place and the right foundations to build a solid future.

The only thing I will say is that you never know what's round the corner. Life can throw curved balls. A decent nest egg can make difficult times a bit easier.

Having said that, you simply can't plan for everything. We thought we were on pretty solid ground .......

We never expected my husband to get so sick, for so long, to end up paralysed and to die so young......although he always used to say that he thought he would never make it to retirement age.

He was so ill for so long - 9 years- that we simply ran out of money. Long term illness costs a lot of money.

Luckily I had assets I could sell to keep us going and we had endowments that matured round about the time he died. He also had taken out life insurance to protect his family. He took great care to make sure that we would be well provided for. I was able to clear the debts and start again.

When we knew his condition was terminal (well I knew from day one, I think he did too but never really openly admitted it) we discussed the future and how we wanted to help the boys onto the property ladder.

My husbands last words were "look after the boys" I am proud to say I have done this, not just financially but I also try to guide them and give them moral support. (Of course I only give advice when asked, they are grown ups after all )

Although they have not had any genetic testing and we have been reassured that the risk is extremely low I have tried to guide the boys, how they can protect themselves, what symptoms to watch out for and how to prepare financially should lightening strike twice.

Having seen for themselves the financial impact of ill health, they have been quick to learn and take appropriate measures. They have set up pensions, savings and investments, life and private medical insurance and are careful not to overcomit themselves and take on debt.

However, they have also learned that you need to live life to the full whilst you can. One of my greatest comforts is that my husband got to fulfil some of his cherished ambitions and dreams - a career he loved, travel, his hobbies and past times, participating in all his sport and adrenaline fuelled adventures.

As Martin would say, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

At the end of his life my father had become a bit of a miser and a hoarder. Hanging onto his possessions as if they were a life raft and unable to spend money even on life enhancing experiences or to make his surroundings more comfortable for his old age.

What good did his money do him in the end.........it merely fuelled my siststers avarice and greed.

Indie.....enjoy your money, you have worked hard and deserve your professional status and career success. Of course you should save and invest for the future and not squander your money, but you also need to strike a balance and enjoy some of it now.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    Thanks LL. I hadn't realised your husband had been so sick for so long, 9 years is a such a long while to cope with, not just financially. Would destroy a lot of people and I am even more full of admiration for your resilience now.

I should be ok financially if I stick with my current employer - we have a company income protection policy that will pay 50% of salary till retirement if I end up too sick to work and I have taken out extra critical illness insurance which would give me a lump sum if I got a serious cancer (for example) - think it would cover me in the event of paralysis too. I also have private health insurance through work. I've been there 10 years, so if they made me redundant I should get a decent pay off - they don't do statutory minimum, so I would have time to find another job. We have decent life insurance through work too - but that would just be a windfall for my family rather than any use to me - no one has any right to be expecting an inheritance from me being single and child free.

The thing that worries me the most is if I got made redundant well into my fifties as I think I might find it hard to get another equivalent professional job at that age to take me through to retirement - might have to settle for less money or doing contracts which takes away your job security, although can be very lucrative for the period of the contract. My mortgage doesn't pay off till my early sixties so I think that needs to be my priority, overpaying so I can afford a drop in income when I am older. But I've been saying that ever since I moved in here and still not done anything about it!!! I need to sit down with a spreadsheet and work out how much extra I would need to pay off by say 55. I need to remortgage too - current deal runs out in the autumn.

Hi Ladies,

Maman, I have not been going to Karaoke, as I would normally do a lot of energetic dancing at Karaoke and that would bring on chest pain and make my heart rhythm become erratic. I simply can not sit still if my body hears music that I like. I really miss Karaoke and dance nights.

I am sticking to social pursuits that allow me to sit down more than dance around, like going to the cinema, the theatre and other shows.

I had an appointment with my physiotherapist on Thursday and she was really pleased with the progress that I had made in 2 weeks since my 1st appointment with her. I was having chest pains that day despite taking painkillers, so I was a bit wheezy and breathless, but I still did the exercises she had set me. I have to continue with the original four sets of exercises and add 1 more set of exercise now.

By the time September comes I expect to be more or less back to my normal flexibility and to not be experiencing muscle pain or stiffness.

Indie, you have done so well in your professional career and you also spend time and money on the social adventures and experiences that make you happy. You seem to have a good work/life balance. Be proud of your achievements as I am sure you have had to work very hard for them.
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125
    Good to hear your physio is pleased with your progress, hope it continues and you get to be back to enjoying your usual singing and dancing soon.

I did have to work hard to pass my professional exams - I still occasionally wake from a nightmare that the profession has contacted me saying they made a mistake and there's another exam I need to sit and it's such a relief when I realise it isn't true. The exams were very difficult and along with a lot of my peers I failed quite a few of them before finally qualifying. Was quite a shock at the time because most trainee actuaries haven't failed an exam in their life before they start their actuarial exams and yet some especially tough papers only a third of candidates pass, so statistically it's pretty likely most of us fail a few en route. I've known a few very clever and driven types get through in three years, but equally I've had friends who took ten years, I was done in four and half years and a couple of stones of weight gain through stress eating!!!

I had a lovely time at my perfume making workshop yesterday. It was quite different in style to the ones I've done at the Cotswold Perfumery. The perfumer in the Cotswolds has a quite scientific approach and gives you more information up front and the one I went in in Acton has a more artistic approach and we spent more time smelling different materials for inspiration, although she has to know all the rules and regs just as the other one did as there are very strict rules around making perfume for sale. Anyway, I made something quite summery but also quite masculine - I quite enjoy wearing some more male scents, I have a bit of a love of vetiver which I put in along with rosemary, bergamot, some seasidey smelling synethetic molucules (calone and one other whose name I've forgotten) and a synthetic base which is meant to smell of fresh air. I have to wait a couple of weeks for it to mature to find out how successful I've been.

In the meantime it's motivated me to be more disciplined about wearing perfume - I sometimes forget to put any on, and given it wears off in a few hours, I could take my bottle to work and reapply for my evenings out, or even give myself a little lunchtime boost. I have such a large collection I really need to start using some up. I keep it in the dark and relatively cool which helps prolong its life, but there is a limit and to be honest at my current rate of use and with my current volume of stock I could keep going for at least ten years, maybe twenty.

Today is about looking after home and self - am away next weekend as well as one night for work and am out almost every night during the week too, so need to get on top of the chores and do a bit of self care. After my hiking week the soles of my feet are more akin to hooves, and I want to do a mini facial, a bit of healthy cooking and get on top of the laundry etc.

I love that poem by the way maman, I've been doing a lot of staring at the birds on my feeders lately - even the interlopers in the form of the ring necked parakeets. It's a simple pleasure, doesn't cost me much to fill the feeders.

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Newmarket Lainey, I've never been to the races, another thing I should try at some point.

Right, better knuckle down to the chores before I while the day away getting nothing done!!

Have a fab rest of the weekend all.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 16th Jul 17, 3:31 PM
    • 1,547 Posts
    • 7,297 Thanks
    chanie
    indie I was reading an article which said that age discrimination was the biggest type of discrimination, particularly for older people. I recently worked with someone who is 63ish and she was struggling to find a permanent job. I think part of the problem is that she looks her age - slightly over weight, thinning hair, bad teeth. She's probably stand more of a chance if she presented herself a bit better. I'm genuinely not bring mean, you really need to look reasonably good for many jobs. Indie, by the time you are in your mid 50s, employers will be used to people working into their late 60s and so it won't be seen as a problem. Personally, my plan is to look for a part time job as I reach late 50s, if I can afford it.

ll I'm pleased you have lots to keep you occupied in your home. I think having a plan for how you spend your evenings will help. For example Mondays, read a book, Tuesday do some fabbing, Wednesday watch your favourite TV show etc. Harvest, you'll always have something look forward to.

I've had a nice weekend. Yesterday, I went to visit some friends I haven't seen in ages. It was lovely to catch up and let the children play together. I wore my denim dress and had some nice compliments on it. It's the same style as my bargain dress which I recently bought, so at least I know it will look good.
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £538.25
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 18th Jul 17, 9:29 AM
    • 9,711 Posts
    • 54,544 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good Morning lovely ladies.

Interesting comments about age discrimination in the workplace and how difficult it is to find decent jobs if you get made refundant in your 50s or 60s. I think it is something younger people need to think about in their financial planning. Hopefully it might get easier in the future.

Well it's another scorcher here today. I am aiming for a mixture of kitchen decluttering when it's too hot to go outside and pottering in the garden when it cools in the evening. Just got a couple more cupboards to go. I have given loads away and am managing to keep the worktops clear. It looks much better with all that clutter.

Good news - I've lost another 1.5 lbs. getting there, slowly. Other than that not much news. Life is quiet at the moment but I'm happy and content with my lot.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 18th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    • 811 Posts
    • 4,886 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

LL you have achieved so much so quickly with fabbing your home. I hope the chairs have turned out the way that you envisioned. You are also doing absolutely great with your weight loss.

I had a lovely weekend. My son and his 2 daughters came to visit on Saturday and my niece and 2 great nieces came to visit on the Sunday. We had so much family fun and laughter without TV, technology or other aids. We talked to each other a lot. There was so much laughter, that I became breathless at one point, but I just did some deep breathing and had some water.

They were all really surprised that my kitchen was devoid of crisps, sweets, biscuits and cakes and there was no chocolate in the fridge! I can not have any of these items in my home, as I have to change what I eat to much healthier alternatives. My 2 children have got on board with me, as they realise how important it is for me to eat healthier and thankfully they do not object to eating healthier for their own benefit.

I am doing my physio exercises each day, but now I want to introduce some more gentle exercises daily and see how I get along. I have to take baby steps at the moment, if I do not want to get chest and/or muscle pains from over exerting myself.

Even with my current health issues, there is so much about my life that I feel thankful for. The biggest bonus is that I get to spend so much more time with my daughter who lives at home. Our relationship is getting stronger as a result. I have had so much time on my hands, that I am able to watch lots of television and read books, magazines and newspapers.
    • savingfortomorrow
    • By savingfortomorrow 19th Jul 17, 10:42 AM
    • 482 Posts
    • 3,274 Thanks
    savingfortomorrow
    Hello ladies,

Sugarbaby I hope that you are feeling much better and looking after yourself. Give your self time to relax and get your health better.

Indie the perfume manufacturing sounds fun and really educational. it would be like a Christmas day for all of us fabbers!

lessons sir down (not on a painted chair) and enjoy a small glass of wine and the sun.

I have been very bad for looking after myself. I really have to get back into using the make up and really making an effort. I find that it can be hard to able to get back on track. So small steps daily.

I want to start the day right and how can i get anything done if i cant even layer a bit of moisturizer on. I have a to do list longer than my arm so it needs to be done.
    • maman
    • By maman 19th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    • 16,237 Posts
    • 96,934 Thanks
    maman
    Good to see you posting SFT.

Lists are good but start with the first step and keep a record. Tick it off the list or post on here. Soon it'll become a habit.

It's strange how some things become second nature while others are a bit of a faff. I wouldn't dream of not putting moisturiser on my face but I find it really hard to keep up with putting it on my feet. I'm also guilty of giving my teeth a quick brush when I know I should be following the longer routine the hygienist gave me.

Fabbing isn't always easy but IMO it's worth it.

I'm going out to tea this afternoon. A dancing friend who moved to Devon a couple of years ago is in the area for a visit so we're meeting up. It's warm but dull here (last night's storms didn't clear the air much). I'm not sure what to wear, probably a pretty skirt as don't want to be too dressy.

We've had some great weather recently. On Monday I even wore my strappy holiday jumpsuit. I've never worn it in this country before. I do hope the sun doesn't disappear now that the school holidays are due to start.

LL, I really like your idea of making plans for the winter. I know I'm guilty of too much trash tv. I've improved a bit since I started my new dancing class and I'm considering a fitness class too for September. Just keep telling us what's on your list so we can shamelessly copy.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 20th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 811 Posts
    • 4,886 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

SFT my health is continuing to improve day by day. Thanks for your concern.

On Tuesday evening I went to see a preview of the film Girls Trip at the Vue cinema in Leicester Square with my daughter. We had free tickets. We were both so impressed with the interior of this cinema as this was our first ever visit to this particular Vue cinema. With ticket prices starting at £22.99 per person for a 2D film, you can see why we have never been here before.

The film more than lived up to my expectations. I laughed so much, that I got stomach ache. It will be out on 26th July.

The seats are like sitting in leather covered armchairs and they were super comfortable and could recline. There is so much leg room, that other people can walk along the row of seats to their preferred seat without disturbing anyone else sitting in the row of seats.

We were given free drinks; there was a choice of mineral water, orange, apple or pineapple juice, red and white wine. I had a glass of white wine and a glass of mineral water and my daughter had 2 glasses of Orange juice. We even had waiters serving us at our table with the drinks.

I went to see the films Jackie and Rules Don't Apply yesterday at my local Odeon cinema as they were Silver Screen films so only cost me £3 for each film. I went to lunch at Pizza Express and used one of my £20 Tesco Clubcard Boost Pizza Express vouchers. An American Hot pizza and a slice of chocolate fudge cake with vanilla gelato was £19.10!!! I have so many Pizza Express vouchers to use up, that I decided to treat myself.

Jackie
    was a real disappointment to me. It was pedantic and the plot just plodded along so laboriously, that I got bored and had to struggle to stay awake. Considering all of the positive reviews this film had, I was expecting an intriguing film.

Rules Don't Apply
    was the exact opposite and I really got into the film within the first 5 minutes of this film and it kept me completely engaged until the credits were rolling. I really enjoyed this film. I found it a perfect vehicle to have a couple of hours of entertainment and escapism.
    Last edited by sugarbaby125; 21-07-2017 at 1:06 AM.
    • maman
    • By maman 20th Jul 17, 4:12 PM
    • 16,237 Posts
    • 96,934 Thanks
    maman
    Thanks sugarbaby. It's like having a resident critic. So pleased your health continues to improve.

I've been on one of the health walks again today. It was gloriously sunny and the air was fresh at last. My ankle must be hugely improved as I could walk freely and I felt very healthy indeed.

I don't have any trainers (but might need some if I start a fitness class) so I tend to wear my Skechers Go Walk shoes. I was delighted to see they now sell Skechers in Debenhams. These are similar to mine:
    http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_068010875660_-1

They may not be the most elegant in the world but for comfort they're fantastic and I notice loads of other brands are copying them.

I felt good in my pretty White Stuff skirt out for tea yesterday. As it was still warm I wore it with a navy broderie anglaise shell top. Some others looked a bit frumpy in the 'wrong trousers' but I was happy in a skirt to show off my brown legs. I could do with some more trousers but perhaps too late now for this summer. Maybe I'll have another browse before the schools break up (next Tuesday here).

Lunch out again tomorrow. I'm struggling to lose the few pounds I gained on holiday but I've checked the menu and there are healthy options for once! You seem to be doing well on your weightloss LL.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 20th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    • 9,711 Posts
    • 54,544 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Loving the film reviews Sugarbaby.......

I wanted to see Hampstead and Churchill but seem to have missed them. My son will download them for me soon and it won't really matter that I didn't get to see them on the big screen. They are what I call little films, not an "event" film.

When my son was at Greenwich university he went through a patch when he was feeling rather homesick. My husband and I went to see him for a couple of days, intending to take him to the west end to see We will Rock You....they wanted £220 for three tickets. We ended up at Leicester Square instead where we saw the latest Bond movie. a lot cheaper.......

We have a super de lux cinema here and we occasionally splurge and have one of the seats in what is called the directors box......pure luxury and self indulgence. Last one we saw there was "Beauty and the Beast" - pure magic. I was entranced.

There are quite a few good films in the pipeline so I must make sure I don't miss any "big" ones that really benefit from the big screen experience.

Having said that my son has just bought me a new wonder "cinema surround sound" gizmo. No idea what it's called but it's fabulous. It is just like sitting in the cinema.

At home I am rewatching "Game of Thrones". I realise it's not everyone's cup of tea but I love it. It's violent, brutal and bloody, but the political manouverings and the dynastic marriages etc are just brilliant. It borrows freely from history so for a history buff like me it's fun.

It's "The War Of the Roses" on steroids....... with a bit of Cleopatra and the "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire", the Spanish Inquisition and the Viking legends thrown in for good measure ........and it has dragons.......lol.

Not for the squeamish though.

And........The costumes are fabulous.

Anyway I'm Glad to hear you are feeling so much better.

Well done on the walking Maman. ....I keep threatening to walk more. Your outfits sound nice too.

"The wrong trousers". Isn't that the name of a Wallace and Grommet film.

I bought the paint for my bedroom, a sort of blue grey, quite dark but it's a big room so it can take it. I'm keeping DS2s dark colonial type furniture which will go well with the darker walls. Lots of white woodwork, and of course my signature white bed linen. Then a couple of Venetian style glass mirrors for over the bedside chest of drawers and some silver or mirrored bedside lights. I have chosen a sort of liberty print curtains and I'm going to have a central chandelier.

I am going for "all out luxury and decadence" on this one. Maybe a silver fox type throw (fake of course) and dig out some of my Crown Derby and Royal Worcester bits and bobs. I need to find a way of bringing the fireplace to life - it can't be lit. I use plants in the summer but maybe a nice electric log effect fire just for a cosy glow would be nice in the winter.

It will be like Chatsworth!
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 20-07-2017 at 6:13 PM.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 21st Jul 17, 9:34 AM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 16,328 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning Friday Fabbers

It's a lovely morning here, breezy and cooler after the muggy weather of the last few days, have just finished my boiled egg and coffee, yum. I lost another pound this week and am happy with the slow, but steady weight loss.
    I have been thinking about my daily routines and tweaking them to include more attention to my appearance, for example I always left my skin routine to just before going to bed and have to confess that at times I skimped as was so tired, not good for my skin! So, I have made an effort to go upstairs a hour or so after our evening meal, around 8pm, and take my time to remove my make-up, cleanse and moisturise, it's surprising the difference it's made. My skin feels firmer and plumper so is obviously enjoying the extra attention.
    Have also been turning my attention to the house, over the last few days I have washed all winter blankets & throws so they are ready for Autumn and the colder weather, have picked up a selection of candles in the summer sales, good quality ones that will last a while. I also like the idea of having a seasonal wreath on our front door, not just a Holly one at Yule, so sent away for a silk one for summer and am very pleased with the effect of it against the dark blue paint, will be sourcing an appropriate one for Autumn soon.
    Thank you for the film reviews Sugar, Girls Trip is on my list!
    Another big GOT fan here LL which is surprising as I am usually really squeamish when it comes to violence etc but like you just love its intertwining plots and characters, good stuff.
    Hope you enjoy your lunch today Maman, re the exercise class have to say am loving doing Pilates and have noticed a real difference in my strength & flexibility so can recommend.

Right, time to get a wriggle on, the housework won't do itself, love to all x
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 21st Jul 17, 10:55 AM
    • 677 Posts
    • 5,310 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Morning all

Happy 'Fab Friday'

Great to have a resident film critic Sugar - living 'out-in-the-sticks' like I do I rarely go to the cinema so it is very useful to know which films are worth watching - our nearest cinema is approx. 20 miles away so it involves a round trip of 40 miles and just over an hours travelling

Have been keeping up with polishing my nails and looking after my skin - like you Lainey I have been taking my make-up off earlier in the evening instead of just before bed and that, along with drinking a lot more water, is making a real difference to my skin. Even my OH said that I am looking more radiant and younger and that is from someone who rarely gives compliments

LL - you are sounding much chirpier since the 'sistergate' situation has been resolved. All your house fabbing sounds brilliant too.

Glad you had a good holiday and enjoyed your perfume workshop Indie - hope the friends thing works out OK with 'A'.

Forgot to say that I would also be up for a get-together - late September or October would probably suit me better too as I am away for a week at the beginning of September.

Have a lovely weekend all
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 22nd Jul 17, 9:03 AM
    • 9,711 Posts
    • 54,544 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies.......

Hope you all had a Fab Friday......I went shopping, bought DS1 a new DC football shirt for his birthday next month and then just popped in to Aldi. Stocked up on F&V. I am eating tons of the stuff these days.

It was quite cold here yesterday so I layered up in jeans, a top and a cardigan. Felt quite strange to be wearing heavier clothes, I have been living in light weight linens for what seems like ages.

Ladies...I think your idea of cleansing etc earlier in the evening is a great idea. I always used to do that but somehow got out of the habit, like you say leaving it till bedtime then skimping a bit because I was tired. I'll definitely get back to doing that.

And thanks for the water reminder.......I need to up my game in lots of ways, skin care, exercise, water, just kick me in the derrière please.

I am still keeping to Paleo. As long as I do I lose a lb or so each week. However the minute I indulge in carbs it goes straight back on and I'm back to square one. So....I know what I need to do.

Re our meet up. Looks like October is our best bet, although I'm guessing we will want to avoid half term. Maybe 2nd week in October, what do you think. I seem to recall Ruby Slippers can't manage 1st week. I think half term is usually towards the end isn't it, if memory serves me right.

I might be off to Barcelona for a few days in September - DILs PHD graduation ceremony. Should be fun. Plus I am on cat sitting duty from 10th to 17th. DS2 is off to Dubai. It's lovely that his girlfriend is so keen on holidays and travellling. He is doing so much more these days, his last girl would never go anywhere or do much.

I had to laugh, he has set his heart on Japan next year.....she said "Great idea, we can swing by China whilst we are at it"

I love her adventurous spirit, although she's a bit subdued at the moment. Her dad died recently after a long battle with cancer, the funeral was yesterday, so it's good she's got Dubai to look forward to.

Not sure what the weather holds today. I shall be doing some more in the bedroom and then if it stays dry I might pull a few weeds out in the garden, the combination of sun and rain is making everything grow like wildfire.

DS2 is off next week so it will be a combination of decorating, pruning shrubs etc and tip runs., poor boy will be glad get back to work....
    • maman
    • By maman 22nd Jul 17, 12:02 PM
    • 16,237 Posts
    • 96,934 Thanks
    maman
    Same here with the weather LL. It came as quite a shock after prolonged sunshine which for me included three weeks on holiday.

I had a nasty shock yesterday when I weighed for the first time in about 6 weeks. I expected to have gained after my break but half a stone!! I was disgusted with myself and now need to work really hard to get rid of it. I've been better since I got back so goodness knows what I weighed two weeks ago.

Like you I did my Aldi shop yesterday and the trolley was groaning with all the fruit and veg. Particularly veg in my case although DH eats a fair bit of fruit. Generally I maintain my weight but I need to be a bit stricter and up the water consumption to lose those unwanted pounds.

October sounds good to me for meeting up. September is always busy here with family birthdays. A friend also has a big birthday so we're going to Stratford for a few days, take in a play and see the sights. I've not been there since I was a child so I'm looking forward to it. I am going to plan a short break for October. We so enjoyed our time in Prague/Budapest that we're thinking of Poland (Warsaw/Krakow) but I've also seen a 'Hidden Italy' holiday advertised that looks good. We've not been to any of the places except a day in Vicenza so that appeals too. I'll wait until we've firmed up some dates before I book.

Not a lot planned for today. I'm pleased that I've managed to read a couple of books since I got back from Turkey. I read loads on a sun lounger but find it hard when I get home. What sort of books do you all read?

Weather is very changeable today, basically nice between heavy showers. Hope you're all enjoying the weekend.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,433Posts Today

9,281Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin