Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Jan 17, 8:31 AM
    • 10,000Posts
    • 56,076Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World
    • 1st Jan 17, 8:31 AM
    Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World 1st Jan 17 at 8:31 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies

Welcome to the new Frump to Fab thread. A whole new world of frugal style and fabulousity. A place where we learn from each other how to be the best we can with the resources we have.

Can you be both frugal and fabulous, I think so. You can be both skint and stylish. You can have your cake and eat it, you can "live it large" on a minuscule budget.

So to all you newbies welcome. Join in the fun with the ladies in our fabulous online community. Here we discuss all things fabulous and we learn all about "fabbing".

Yes I know it's a made up word but what does it mean.

Well for us it means taking care of ourselves, our looks yes of course but it's more than "mere vanity".

"FAbbing" also means looking after our health, our well being, our homes, our careers, our hobbies, our interests and past times and not forgetting our finances.

ANd of course, it goes without saying, a verybig warm welcome to our regulars, returners, and lurkers.

So dear newbies Join in the fun with the ladies in our fabulous online community

Before we get started let me take this opportunity to wish you all A Very Happy, Peaceful and Prosperous New Year.

Today you may be busy with New Year's Day gatherings or you may Be feeling a little worse for wear after the New Years Eve Celebrations so for now we are going to be gentle.

No fasting, no detox (unless of course you want to) but I would advocate that we ease ourselves gently into the New Year by remembering our first mantra.

Step 1. Wear perfume. You should smell divine every day. Don't save your favourite fragrances "for best". Never again save anything for best. Don't we deserve to be the best we can be - every single day.

Ah but what about the cost I hear you say. This is a Money saving website after all.......

Well you don't have to douse yourself in your most expensive Dior or Chanel perfumes. A simple spray of cologne will still smell wonderful.

And one of the nicest smells of all is a waft of fresh clean soap. So if you can't afford perfume then at least make sure you are freshly washed or showered and use a lovely soap or shower gel.

So dig out some of those new smellies you got for Christmas and start using them.

Today's tip.

Got a perfume you don't like because it's too strong or heavy?? Dilute it.

Don't throw it away or regift it. Add it to some simple cream or lotion or even some vegetable oil and make a luxurious moisturising body treatment. The height of luxury and decadence for mere pennies.

I am still recovering from my chest infection.......feeling a lot better today but I'm still going to take it easy. So........I am going to spend some time today pondering on what I would like to achieve this year. I am not going to think in terms of New Years Resolutions it will be more a case of goal setting.

As most of you will know Dad died on Friday so much of January will entail making his funeral arrangements and sorting out his estate.
    This means that, realistically, I am going to be busy for the next couple of weeks so I might have to catch up with my new plans.

But.......just because I might not be posting everyday doesn't mean to
    Say that I won't be keeping a watchful eye on you. I shall be reading and observing!!!

So please start the new fabbing year without me and I'll catch up with you all again just as soon as I can.

Have a fabulous New Year's Day. See you all soon.

X
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 01-01-2017 at 2:09 PM.
Page 54
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 5th Jul 17, 5:33 PM
    • 10,000 Posts
    • 56,076 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    SOrry to hear you are feeling down, Lainey. Of course you miss your mum, six months is nothing.

I never really had chance to mourn my mother, I was still raw from my husbands death and I was caught up with looking after dad too, so just had to keep ploughing on.

I often find myself talking to my mum.......daft I know but I do miss her and it's been two years now.

Grief takes a long time. There are no short cuts.

I sometimes think I haven't really "mourned" any of them properly because I still get mild panic attacks, usually first thing in the morning. Although TBH I have only started those again since "sistergate" - before that I was doing ok.

I have not had counselling nor anti depressants. I have found a few blogs and articles which have helped. And of course there's the "widows thread" over on the Over 50s board which I have found very helpful and supportive.

As I say I find early mornings the most difficult, my tummy does somersaults for several hours and I sometimes struggle to eat. That's why I have decided to channel my energies and thoughts into finishing the house, painting furniture etc. Work is often my saviour at such times when I'm anxious and stressed.

I find physical work such as painting, gardening etc very therapeutic. I find working with my hands very soothing. It helps me switch off and stops those racing thoughts. Almost like meditation, I just zone out for a while.

I used to find doing embroidery very relaxing so I thought I might do a couple of tapestry cushions over the winter evenings whilst watching TV.

I think it's just about finding something to help us relax and switch off for a while. I hope the anti depressants kick in quickly and you feel better soon.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 5th Jul 17, 8:10 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 5,541 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I phoned my GP's Surgery at 9am when it opened but it turns out that I have to discuss the test results with the Doctor who ordered the tests and she will not be at the surgery until this coming Monday. I am on her list to be called on Monday.

I have made a written list of the questions I need answers to, so I am prepared for the call on Monday.

I went to see the film 'Another Mother's Son' at my local Odeon. It was a Silver Screen showing so the ticket only cost me £3. I really enjoyed the film and would give it 9/10. The air conditioning was really welcome in the cinema because it is a very hot day here in London. I prefer Silver Screen showings because the cinema never has many people attending and I can have the pick of the seats and no one is talking over the film or being disruptive so I can always get really immersed in the film.

LL I am so sorry that you are having quite a difficult time now that your son is moving on with his own life. You are very self aware though and you are trying to take steps to make your life more fulfilled.

When my 2 children have finally have left home, I am sure I will feel lonely at times, but I will also be getting out to lots of the free events on offer in London. I will make try to make new friends and learn new skills. I do not look forward to that time, but I will be proud of my children when they are ready to leave home.

It has been more than 3 years since my Mother died and I talk aloud to her whenever I feel the need to. I will never stop missing her, but my grief will never be as acute as when she died.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 5th Jul 17, 9:50 PM
    • 3,837 Posts
    • 30,612 Thanks
    Floss
    LL I completely understand what you say about grief - my dad died in 1991, but because I still had a parent and had 2 children & a husband I didn't grieve for him until my mum died in 2005, by which time my marriage was also over. DH lost his parents within 9 weeks in late 2015, but still hasn't really grieved...it will come in its own time.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 7th Jul 17, 8:41 AM
    • 10,000 Posts
    • 56,076 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Learning to live alone
    Good morning lovely ladies.

After 37 years I am learning to live alone.

Will it be temporary or am I destined to live alone for the rest of my life. Who can tell but I have decided that I am not going to be miserable and feel sorry for myself but rather I am going to be positive about this and embrace all the good things about being solo, to savour my quiet time, to nurture myself and to indulge my "Inner Goddess"

I am not rich but the more I think about it the more I realise we don't need huge sums of money to be happy. As all the best architects say "Less is More"and money can't buy style, class or happiness.

Yesterday was a great example of how we can cherish and nurture ourselves without spending a fortune.

It was my 66th birthday and I knew in advance that I would be spending it more or less alone. The boys were working, one of them in London - although he did manage to fit in a cricket match so the real birthday celebrations will be at the weekend.

I also had to stay home for the electrician. So rather than mope about and feel sorry for myself for having to be alone on my birthday I set to and got on with painting my dining room furniture.

As it turned out DS2 did pop round after work. Made me a cuppa and bought me a soppy card and a beautiful purple orchid. I was also indundated with texts and birthday wishes. So not really alone.

It was a lovely evening so I ate my solo supper "Al Fresco" - very simple but delicious. Calamari, tomato salad and a glass of Pinot Noir, followed by coffee and a couple of squares of dark chocolate whilst watching an episode of Game of Thrones.

I had a lovely indulgent decadent evening and it cost pennies.......

Whilst I was struggling with the aftermath of "Sistergate" I came across a quote which I would like to share with you. It has certainly helped my thinking and it will form the basis of my new manifesto for solo living.

So..... here's my new mantra......

"LIfe is short, take the trip, buy the shoes, eat the cake"

I think it's great.......it sums up how I want to live from now on.

Fab Friday. I am not going out today - again I'm housebound - waiting in for some deliveries - some "birthday presents" from me to me.

So I shall be wearing shorts and a skimpy top and enjoying the sun in my garden.

Hope you all get to enjoy a bit of sun. It's good for us.

Have a fab day.

Ps I have lost another 1lb
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Jul 17, 9:17 AM
    • 3,837 Posts
    • 30,612 Thanks
    Floss
    LL Belated happy birthday - sounds lkke it was lovely xx
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 7th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    • 714 Posts
    • 5,576 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Wishing you a belated Happy Birthday LL - enjoy the weekend celebrations
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 7th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 17,984 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Belated Birthday wishes LL a lovely positive post and hope you enjoy the weekend celebrations.
    I have just sat down after a couple of hours of housekeeping, it's now getting too hot to do any more so will enjoy the warm weather and spend the rest of the day relaxing. I don't intend going far today so cool and comfy in a soft, linen dress.
    I have made the most of the summer sales and have picked up some nice pieces, especially from Esprit, it's been the first time have purchased anything from them and have to say am very impressed. The clothes seem of a good quality but the test will be in the wear and washing.
    Maman thank you for your recommendation for Palmers self tan, it's v good even for my pale, freckley skin.
    Am feeling a little better, went our for a meal with my DB on Wednesday, just the two of us and it was comforting to know he is feeling exactly the same way. As he pointed out we have been clobbered with a lot of loss in the last few years, our eldest brother and both parents, so we are bound to feel very lost. It was so good to talk to him and know we still have each other, as well as our lovely partners.
    Have a good Friday and love to all x
    • savingfortomorrow
    • By savingfortomorrow 7th Jul 17, 11:10 AM
    • 498 Posts
    • 3,435 Thanks
    savingfortomorrow
    happy belated birthday lessons learned
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 7th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    • 893 Posts
    • 5,541 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    An Ode to LL on her Birthday
    Happy Birthday LL,

You know that saying about how you can't choose your family but you can choose your friends,

Well I just want to say that I would choose you any day LL not just to be a friend here on a forum but in real life

You have so many qualities that any woman would love to have for herself, like kindness (vastly underrated by many), wisdom and spirituality

Your friends in real life are fortunate to have you as a friend, because you enrich their lives in ways that will not always be apparent to you

I know this because you are a inspirational woman, as Maya Angelou would have said, you LL are a Phenomenal Woman

No matter what life throws at you, you will always tap into your inner strength and Rise Again, because you know how to weather any storm and remain upright and intact

There is much about your life that I find myself envying, not least because you were lucky enough to find your soul mate and had decades of happiness with him

I feel that through 'knowing' you through this forum that I would choose you time and again not just to be my friend, but to be my honorary sister, so Happy Birthday my friend and 'sister', eat cake and enjoy eating it, buy those glamorous shoes and enjoy wearing them and keep on taking all of those trips, short or long.

With Love Always from Sugarbaby125
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Jul 17, 11:29 AM
    • 16,652 Posts
    • 99,475 Thanks
    maman
    So I shall be wearing shorts and a skimpy top and enjoying the sun in my garden.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    I hope white van man can cope!

Glad you had a good day and belated best wishes. It's never easy with a midweek birthday but good for you for making it special. What have you treated yourself to?

Congratulations on your pound lost. I tried on three skirts before I went out last night and all felt a bit tight around the tummy. Today will be the first where I'll be responsible for all meals for almost a month. I'm not going far but I must do a meal plan for the coming week and a shop to match.

Glad you're finding the fake tan suits you Lainey. I shall be using it again soon (and also the Garnier as I have both 'in stock') but diluted with body lotion to maintain my tan.

As planned I did some good duty free shopping when travelling. The Clarins serum and the Benefit mascara were both on offer with double packs and I picked up the Clinique foaming cleanser to go with my brush.

Strangely, although it was 40 degrees last week I'm finding it harder to cope here with the heat. I think it's a different heat but also because we don't have much air con and I can't just spend all day reading on a sun lounger with occasional dips in the sea!
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 7th Jul 17, 12:14 PM
    • 10,000 Posts
    • 56,076 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Oh ladies.....you lot are wonderful.....so kind and so supportive. I may have lost my RL sister but I feel that our sisterhood here is just so fabulous, it more than makes up for it.

Sugarbaby.....well you really are a Sugarbaby. Your "Birthday Ode" was just so moving and so generous. MAya Angelou is one of my heroines!!! so for you to say that she would call me a Phenomenal Woman is absolutely mind blowing........

And Sugarbaby please don't envy me......we are all getting fabulous together. !!! Anyway, I saw you in that TV programme remember I thought you were sensational - you simply stole the show. I could see the presenters reactions to you, you could tell he was really impressed with you......and quite rightly.....you are a force of nature.

Now ladies I have a proposal ........I think we should meet up for lunch or maybe afternoon tea somewhere. I suggest London because it's kind of a central place and anyway I have been promising myself a trip.

It's been a very long time since I visited London and am not really au fait with the new hip places to see and be seen so I suggest you ladies choose a venue and I'll just rock up at the appropriate time.

I would also like some recommendations for a nice central hotel for either two or three nights - not too expensive - but a decent location close to all the sights.

I suggest some time in September/early October. I don't have any holidays booked until January so I am completely flexible.

What do you think......anyone up for a girly lunch.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Jul 17, 12:27 PM
    • 3,837 Posts
    • 30,612 Thanks
    Floss
    Ooh, a Fabbers jolly! Depending upon work & hols, I would like to come too...will try to combine with an exhibition & stay with DS2 & DiL.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 7th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    • 1,613 Posts
    • 7,830 Thanks
    chanie
    ll happy birthday to you. Your birthday was perfect, with just a right amount of different activities. I hope you have an amazing weekend.

lainey pleased you are feeling better.
    I have 2 items from Espirit - a shopper tote bag and a headband. I've had both for a couple of years and they are still look new.

sugar lovely post. You are a very kind and warm person yourself.

maman well done on your duty free bargains. I find the heat more bearable whilst on holiday too. My theory is that UK heat is quite humid so it makes you sweat, whereas in the Mediterranean for example, it's a dry heat, which doesn't feel as sticky.

What a great idea for a meet up - I'm definitely up for that. I'll get my thinking cap on.
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £671.68
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 8th Jul 17, 9:03 AM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 12,291 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Belated birthday wishes LL. Great to read that you had a lovely day.

I've just finished my first week back at work after being off on holiday for 2 weeks. Went to North Devon for a week but stopped off on the way down for a few days. Weather was a bit mixed but I enjoyed my time away with mum & dad.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £510 (as at 30th July)
    • Ellsbel
    • By Ellsbel 8th Jul 17, 9:37 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    Ellsbel
    Will catch up properly later but just wanted to wish you a belated Happy Birthday LL
    Hope your weekend celebrations are as fab as you are!
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 8th Jul 17, 1:17 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 5,541 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I would definitely be up for a real life meet up LL. Thank you and Chanie for your generous words.
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 8th Jul 17, 3:34 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 9,422 Thanks
    shanks77
    Happy belated birthday hope you had a lovely day xx
    • Ellsbel
    • By Ellsbel 9th Jul 17, 8:40 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    Ellsbel
    Sorry I haven't been commenting on everyone's posts; I've had a hectic couple of weeks and wrote a long post a couple of days ago which disappeared
    A meet up sounds fun - I may be tempted out of my hobbit hole
    I've been busy at work and at home - including a lovely day out in London last weekend. Have been keeping up fabbing with nails, hair and skin, but weight loss has stalled - or rather, my approach to it has; I'm eating out today and tomorrow but from Tuesday I'll be heading over to the SW thread, if that's ok, Maman? For ideas and inspiration to stay on track.
    LL Did you ever think more about starting a blog about your interior renovations? I'm intrigued by the fabbing of furniture that you do, and would love to be able to do that sort of thing.
    Have a good Sunday everyone
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    • 16,652 Posts
    • 99,475 Thanks
    maman
    You'll be very welcome ellsbel.

I, too, would be interested in a meet up holidays and other commitments allowing. Great idea LL.

I'm still easing myself back gently into my healthy eating, I think the hardest thing hasn't been so much the food (although two meals out since I got back on Tuesday haven't helped) but that on holiday I had a drink every evening whereas I usually try to have several alcohol free days each month. My July total so far is 2!From tomorrow this will improve.

My incentive is that lots of my clothes feel uncomfortable. I was out dancing last night and my friend said she thought I might have worn my floaty Nicole Farhi skirt. What I didn't tell her was that it came on holiday with me and, after the second week, being a size 10 and no 'give' in it at all it went to the back of the wardrobe! When that fits comfortably I know I'll be back on track.

Taking things easy today. Dancing was exhausting last night because of the heat and I hadn't done any for about a month. I am going to make a Sunday roast though as I haven't had one for weeks and I love them.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 9th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 5,541 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I went to see the film Viceroy's House last Thursday at my local Odeon cinema. It was a silver Screen showing, so the ticket only cost me £3. I enjoyed all the pomp and ceremony in the film and the breathtaking interiors.

I had a very quiet Friday with lots of rest and then I went to see the play Girl From the North Country at The Old Vic in Waterloo on Saturday evening. It was a beautiful play set in a boarding house in Duluth, Minnesota in the 1930's with lots of the songs of Bob Dylan incorporated in the play. I was completely enthralled with the characters and their acting skills and singing abilities. I was at a preview and my daughter had paid for the ticket which had only cost her £10 plus a £1.40 booking fee. She knew how much I wanted to see this particular play but I was not prepared to pay the usual ticket price, so when she saw preview tickets for sale, she quickly bought one for me. I was bowled over by the sumptuous interior of the The Old Vic as it was my first visit to The Old Vic theatre.

I am having a quiet Sunday, as I feel very tired today.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,178Posts Today

6,137Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin