Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Jan 17, 8:31 AM
    • 10,132Posts
    • 57,016Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World
    • 1st Jan 17, 8:31 AM
    Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World 1st Jan 17 at 8:31 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies

Welcome to the new Frump to Fab thread. A whole new world of frugal style and fabulousity. A place where we learn from each other how to be the best we can with the resources we have.

Can you be both frugal and fabulous, I think so. You can be both skint and stylish. You can have your cake and eat it, you can "live it large" on a minuscule budget.

So to all you newbies welcome. Join in the fun with the ladies in our fabulous online community. Here we discuss all things fabulous and we learn all about "fabbing".

Yes I know it's a made up word but what does it mean.

Well for us it means taking care of ourselves, our looks yes of course but it's more than "mere vanity".

"FAbbing" also means looking after our health, our well being, our homes, our careers, our hobbies, our interests and past times and not forgetting our finances.

ANd of course, it goes without saying, a verybig warm welcome to our regulars, returners, and lurkers.

So dear newbies Join in the fun with the ladies in our fabulous online community

Before we get started let me take this opportunity to wish you all A Very Happy, Peaceful and Prosperous New Year.

Today you may be busy with New Year's Day gatherings or you may Be feeling a little worse for wear after the New Years Eve Celebrations so for now we are going to be gentle.

No fasting, no detox (unless of course you want to) but I would advocate that we ease ourselves gently into the New Year by remembering our first mantra.

Step 1. Wear perfume. You should smell divine every day. Don't save your favourite fragrances "for best". Never again save anything for best. Don't we deserve to be the best we can be - every single day.

Ah but what about the cost I hear you say. This is a Money saving website after all.......

Well you don't have to douse yourself in your most expensive Dior or Chanel perfumes. A simple spray of cologne will still smell wonderful.

And one of the nicest smells of all is a waft of fresh clean soap. So if you can't afford perfume then at least make sure you are freshly washed or showered and use a lovely soap or shower gel.

So dig out some of those new smellies you got for Christmas and start using them.

Today's tip.

Got a perfume you don't like because it's too strong or heavy?? Dilute it.

Don't throw it away or regift it. Add it to some simple cream or lotion or even some vegetable oil and make a luxurious moisturising body treatment. The height of luxury and decadence for mere pennies.

I am still recovering from my chest infection.......feeling a lot better today but I'm still going to take it easy. So........I am going to spend some time today pondering on what I would like to achieve this year. I am not going to think in terms of New Years Resolutions it will be more a case of goal setting.

As most of you will know Dad died on Friday so much of January will entail making his funeral arrangements and sorting out his estate.
    This means that, realistically, I am going to be busy for the next couple of weeks so I might have to catch up with my new plans.

But.......just because I might not be posting everyday doesn't mean to
    Say that I won't be keeping a watchful eye on you. I shall be reading and observing!!!

So please start the new fabbing year without me and I'll catch up with you all again just as soon as I can.

Have a fabulous New Year's Day. See you all soon.

X
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 01-01-2017 at 2:09 PM.
Page 45
    • maman
    • By maman 17th May 17, 11:50 AM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    Glad the date with OH went well chanie. I can't say that Go Ape would be my cup of tea but I like the idea of planning occasions together. DH and I tend to go out quite a lot but it's usually to meet up with friends for the theatre or meals. We aren't so good at making plans for just the two of us unless it's a holiday or a birthday or football!The season ends on Sunday so I think we need to organise something.

I got my summer holiday clothes out, at last, yesterday. Since the weather took a turn for the worse I haven't even thought about summery clothes. The good news is that everything fits! I consigned a few bits to the charity shop bag. I plan to go into the city soon and browse a bit in case there's anything that takes my fancy. All I really need is a new pair of espadrilles or similar. For summer in the UK I'd like some chino type trousers and/or some smart joggers and I'm still thinking Converse for days when sandals aren't really appropriate. Anyone else thinking about their summer wardrobe?

Pouring with rain here. I've blow dried my hair this morning, so that'll be a waste of time!
    • chanie
    • By chanie 17th May 17, 7:41 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 8,317 Thanks
    chanie
    DH and I tend to go out quite a lot but it's usually to meet up with friends for the theatre or meals. We aren't so good at making plans for just the two of us unless it's a holiday or a birthday or football!The season ends on Sunday so I think we need to organise something.
    Originally posted by maman
    Me and OH rarely get any time together since having the children and so we need to plan things to do, otherwise it won't happen. It's good that you both have football. Me and OH don't have a shared interest/hobby, so we try lots of new things.

I don't have much of a summer wardrobe. I mainly wear dresses or vest tops with shorts, as the weather is so unpredictable. I tend to focus my wardrobe for spring and autumn and that sees me through.
    Last edited by chanie; 18-05-2017 at 9:39 AM.
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £807.18
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 18th May 17, 8:08 AM
    • 958 Posts
    • 6,022 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I went to Karaoke on Tuesday evening and had a really enjoyable time. I wore a pink vest top with embroidery and sequins with a pull on black gored skirt and my black raincoat. I wore patent black leather peep toe, sling back Van Dal Sandals even though it was raining when I left my home. I did not wear make up, but I layered my perfume with the matching body powder and body lotion.

The wine bar I go to for Karaoke on Tuesdays is invariably hot inside, so I usually dress as if it is a hot summer day with as few layers as possible.

I sang 4 songs and I did a lot of dancing as well.
    • maman
    • By maman 18th May 17, 2:18 PM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    You certainly love your karaoke sugarbaby. You sound like good fun to be around. You're right it is important to have the venue in mind when choosing an outfit. I've sat in too many draughty restaurants!

I agree that planning time together is the way forward chanie. My children are grown up now but it's surprising how life gets in the way. It's all too easy to just potter about and whole days go by. That's OK sometimes but it can be an incredible time waster.

Like you I don't have a huge summer wardrobe for this country but we always have one sunshine holiday a year so I keep a box of stuff for that. Because it generally gets worn once a year then trying on is an important test!

I've been out for a good hour's walk this morning (thank goodness that rain stopped). Overall I've done quite well on the exercise front this week. 3 hours dancing on Sunday, 2 hours on Tuesday, an hour today and a plan for 3 more hours dancing on Saturday coming up. I know it's nothing compared with some but I'm pleased with myself.

I think the summer must be coming up as I've been out again today without foundation/tinted moisturiser. I am getting low on a number of the products I use in Clarins and Benefit and would want them for my holiday. I'm not sure whether to wait until I go to Gatwick and get them Duty Free but what if they aren't in stock?? I need to think about that.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 18th May 17, 8:15 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 8,317 Thanks
    chanie
    You certainly love your karaoke sugarbaby. You sound like good fun to be around. You're right it is important to have the venue in mind when choosing an outfit. I've sat in too many draughty restaurants!

I agree that planning time together is the way forward chanie. My children are grown up now but it's surprising how life gets in the way. It's all too easy to just potter about and whole days go by. That's OK sometimes but it can be an incredible time waster.

Like you I don't have a huge summer wardrobe for this country but we always have one sunshine holiday a year so I keep a box of stuff for that. Because it generally gets worn once a year then trying on is an important test!

I've been out for a good hour's walk this morning (thank goodness that rain stopped). Overall I've done quite well on the exercise front this week. 3 hours dancing on Sunday, 2 hours on Tuesday, an hour today and a plan for 3 more hours dancing on Saturday coming up. I know it's nothing compared with some but I'm pleased with myself.

I think the summer must be coming up as I've been out again today without foundation/tinted moisturiser. I am getting low on a number of the products I use in Clarins and Benefit and would want them for my holiday. I'm not sure whether to wait until I go to Gatwick and get them Duty Free but what if they aren't in stock?? I need to think about that.
    Originally posted by maman
    SNAP. I have holiday clothes which I keep in my suitcase and wear them whilst on holiday

I'd normally hold out for duty free, but if it's something you really want for your holiday, I wouldn't risk it. Personally, I don't think Duty Free is worth it as you can now get similar prices on the high street if you get an offer code. Check the Gatwick website as you may be able to order your items in advance, I'm sure I read it somewhere.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 18th May 17, 8:39 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 8,317 Thanks
    chanie
    maman you can reserve in advance through Gatwick airport.

sugar well done for your fabbing and pursuing your singing.
    • maman
    • By maman 18th May 17, 8:46 PM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    maman you can reserve in advance through Gatwick airport.

sugar well done for your fabbing and pursuing your singing.
    Originally posted by chanie
    Thanks for that chanie . I'll check it out and compare with prices I can get here.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 19th May 17, 8:58 AM
    • 3,999 Posts
    • 32,650 Thanks
    Floss
    Does anyone know if Sainsbobs are having their clothing offer soon? They seem to have most of their summer range in and I spotted some lovely wide leg linen trousers the other day, I just can't bring myself to pay £18 a pair for them when they may be reduced soon!
    • chanie
    • By chanie 19th May 17, 10:22 AM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 8,317 Thanks
    chanie
    Does anyone know if Sainsbobs are having their clothing offer soon? They seem to have most of their summer range in and I spotted some lovely wide leg linen trousers the other day, I just can't bring myself to pay £18 a pair for them when they may be reduced soon!
    Originally posted by Floss
    They normally run around a bank holiday so it could be Tuesday. When they had their last 25% off I bought two pairs of cotton trousers for work - am really pleased with them.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 19th May 17, 10:48 AM
    • 3,999 Posts
    • 32,650 Thanks
    Floss
    Thanks Chanie, will keep my eyes open
    • maman
    • By maman 19th May 17, 11:10 AM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    They normally run around a bank holiday so it could be Tuesday.
    Originally posted by chanie

Thanks Chanie, will keep my eyes open
    Originally posted by Floss

That's useful. I'll keep my eyes open too. I saw a pair of natural coloured chinos. I want to try them on first though as they look a bit boring in the photos.

https://tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/p/Stone-Coastal-Belted-Chino-Trousers/130909204-Stone?searchTerm=:relevance&searchProduct=

I'm also fancying those wide legged cropped trousers. I saw a lovely pair in Hobbs last week although there's no way I'm paying their prices!

https://tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/p/Premium-Cropped-Wide-Leg-Trousers-/131089551-Grey?searchTerm=:relevance&searchProduct=

As predicted, my hair has been a mess for the last couple of days. The dampness (make that torrential rain for Wednesday) always plays havoc. I've blow dried it again today so hoping for the best.

I've had a good pamper session today including defuzzing and tanning moisturiser. Goodish weather is promised and I'm hoping no more tights very soon.

Have a good day all.

P.S. How long before LL gets back from her cruise? And not seen Maddie for a while.
    • indiepanda
    • By indiepanda 21st May 17, 8:33 AM
    • 965 Posts
    • 6,439 Thanks
    indiepanda
    Good morning all.

On the question of summer clothes, I don't have that many that I would only wear in summer and don't tend to go on summer holidays where it's really hot - more inclined to go away in September than July/August. Got plenty of hiking gear for my travels - although a lot of that is too large for me now - trousers that only stay up if really belted in and so forth. And though I have sleeveless dresses, they still get worn with cardigans the rest of the year or for nights out dancing where I will get hot in anything more substantial. I suppose I have the odd vest top that is a bit too lightweight for the rest of the year and cropped trousers that I wouldn't wear the rest of the year. But the only shorts I own are really hiking ones that come down to the knee. Maybe if I knuckle back to the diet I might be more inclined to flash my pins this summer.

I am off Ashford outlet centre in Kent today with one of my friends - on a mission to get:-
    - a dress for a wedding i am going to in two weekends
    - some new hiking kit for my trip next weekend
    - some cardigans
    - trainers - but only if they have the particular model I wear in the asics shop or I can get online

Need to try to avoid buying jeans and tops as I've bought enough of both. Smart trousers would be handy if I see any nice ones as would dresses suitable for the office.

Went to a new Ceroc class this week in Shoreditch. When the lesson first started there was a distinct lack of men to go round and some of the experienced women were having to dance as men, but it got better as the evening went on. Also did a dance class yesterday - was based on some Gershwin songs from the musical American in Paris. The teacher does dance based aerobics classes and I ended up on her mailing list years ago after doing one Zumba class which at the time I felt ridiculous doing (my ability to get embarrassed has reduced over time). Anyway, was good fun and I may well check out some of her classes now.

Dating wise, Wednesday's first date was a perfectly nice chap and we had a good chat, but I don't think I felt any spark with him. I think I can be a bit serious and need someone a bit playful to bring out my fun side. I was a bit non-committal afterwards, implied I didn't have any nights free before I went on holiday but perhaps could meet up after I got back. Truth is I was trying to keep some flexibility in my diary to have the option of arranging a fourth date with the other chap. Anyway, third date with the other chap was last night, had dinner in a wine bar and then went for a walk along southbank and down to where the Underbelly festival outdoor bar is near Westminster and sat outside drinking till quite late - was quite romantic with the trees lit up. Plus he'd been a typical northerner and come out without a coat and it wasn't that warm, so it gave us an excuse to snuggle up. Ended up kissing at the bus stop like a pair of teenagers and missing my bus. Anyway, planning to fit in one more date before I go away.

Am off on my travels on Friday - down to Plymouth hiking, visiting friends in Devon, Wiltshire, Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Bristol and then off to a conference in Wales, away for a day short of two weeks all told. Packing is going to be a bit of a challenge - but at least the conference is smart casual and that includes wearing smart jeans (I checked!) so I don't really need to dress that differently for that to the rest of the week.Going to end up with a full boot - take a spare bag to separate out clothes for washing from the ones that are unworn or lightly worn so will do another day. Need to sort out all my toiletries too - some sample sizes won't quite stretch for a fortnight so will need to pack extra ones or chuck in some full sizes.

Have to admit I can't wait to get away, I've only had one day of annual leave since last October and I can really feel I am getting a bit jaded and ready for a break from the office, especially as I am having to do too many things now that are a bit too junior for me because the girl who works for me has been out sick since late January.

Right, must get moving or I won't have time for breakfast before I go out, enjoy the rest of the weekend all. xx
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 21st May 17, 9:26 AM
    • 958 Posts
    • 6,022 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Indie,

It sounds like you should give the other man a miss because if there is no spark on your side, then he is unlikely to be right for you.

I am so glad that your 3rd date went so well. I can remember the joy and fun of snogging Wayne at bus stops and letting buses go by.

You have a very packed itinerary for your 2 weeks, but it sounds as if you will be having a good time. Enjoy your time away and enjoy the company of your friends.

I wanted to learn Swing dance, but although there are plenty of classes in London, they clash with my working hours. You have such a good time at your Ceroc classes that I feel quite envious. I need to get off my bottom and try and find some type of dance class that I can take part in at weekends, if weekdays are not doable for me.
    • indiepanda
    • By indiepanda 21st May 17, 10:57 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 6,439 Thanks
    indiepanda
    Indie,

It sounds like you should give the other man a miss because if there is no spark on your side, then he is unlikely to be right for you.

I am so glad that your 3rd date went so well. I can remember the joy and fun of snogging Wayne at bus stops and letting buses go by.

You have a very packed itinerary for your 2 weeks, but it sounds as if you will be having a good time. Enjoy your time away and enjoy the company of your friends.

I wanted to learn Swing dance, but although there are plenty of classes in London, they clash with my working hours. You have such a good time at your Ceroc classes that I feel quite envious. I need to get off my bottom and try and find some type of dance class that I can take part in at weekends, if weekdays are not doable for me.
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125
    Thanks, Sugarbaby looking forward to seeing Mr Third Date again - next date is Wednesday

Ceroc is so much fun but yes, the classes are pretty much all evenings starting at 7:30, so if you work evenings that's no good. They do have weekend workshops and social nights, but I think you need the classes for practice.

One place I can think of that does do weekend dance lessons is Bar Salsa on Charing Cross road.
    http://www.bar-salsa.com/whats-on/

Ah, and Swing Patrol do Sunday classes in central London
    http://www.swingpatrol.co.uk/class/exmouth-market

Their classes look great fun, I was meaning to go to the Thursday one in Peckham but I fell in love with Ceroc and I think that's a bit easier to be honest. Might still give it a try though.

I had a very successful shopping trip - 4 new dresses
    https://www.romanoriginals.co.uk/side-pleat-scuba-dr-24000nav
    https://www.romanoriginals.co.uk/contrast-floral-dr-24035lim
    https://www.romanoriginals.co.uk/floral-watercolour-pleat-detail-dress-24063ivo
    https://www.romanoriginals.co.uk/cotton-shift-dress-24078amb

Any of them would work for a wedding, but it's the last one with the full skirt that I plan to wear, with a little white cropped cardigan I got there:
    https://www.romanoriginals.co.uk/bow-detail-back-shrug-10009whi

Just got to have a look through my shoe collection and work out what to wear with it. I have a ivory slightly 1950's style handbag that will go well so definitely don't need a bag. I have some ivory low heeled t bar Hotter shoes that would look nice with it, but the last time I wore them they rubbed holes in my heels (unusual for Hotter as they are usually very comfortable) so I am not sure I want to risk those. If it was definitely going to be warm enough to do sandals and bare legs I have enough smart ones, but I think if it's going to be tights and closed toe shoe weather I might need to invest....

The other dresses I can wear for work as well as outside the office - not being customer facing I don't need to be that soberly dressed, and actually dress codes are less severe now than when I was first at work where it was all about the suits, so a print is fine, especially if paired with a smart jacket or fitted cardigan. Might wear one for my next date

Also got some cheap hiking gear for my trip away, some new trainers (mine are past their best) and some cropped leggings and a t shirt in Nike for workouts. My poor friend wasn't nearly so successful and only came away with two t shirts. But we had a nice catch up and went to the seaside at Hythe and had fish and chips in the sun after before coming back to London and joining friends for a pub quiz. A good day all round.
    • maman
    • By maman 21st May 17, 11:44 PM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    Thanks for sharing your shopping successes indie . They are really lovely dresses and, as you said, very versatile.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 22nd May 17, 12:23 AM
    • 958 Posts
    • 6,022 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Thank You
    Indie,

All 4 of the dresses are gorgeous and thanks for the heads up about the Swing Patrol classes on Sunday. I need to definitely give them a try and see how I get on.
    • maman
    • By maman 22nd May 17, 10:25 AM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    Glad you're planning to look out dancing classes sugar. I'm really pleased that I've joined a new class. It's far more active than my old one and I've started going to a few more social dances (all dancing, no teaching) as well. Last week I managed about 8 hours in total of good exercise. I find it exhilarating.

This morning I've done a little fabbing. As well as my usual shower, slather and blow dry I've done a mini face pack (nose and chin) and done the facial exercises. I'd somehow let them lapse and thought I'd go back to them. I'm not sure how 'anti-ageing' they are but I find they wake me up so can't be doing any harm.

I'm going to go and get my nails done today. I think I'll just have them cut and shellac removed and give them a couple of weeks break and some serious moisturising before having them done again for my holiday. On Thursday I've booked a facial.

I enjoy all these treatments and with Groupon or my cheapy Vietnamese nail place or even free in the case of youtube videos they're quite mse too.

It's warm and dry here although not much sun yet. I've put a cap sleeved top on with my jeans although I'll probably take a cardigan when I go out. Have a good day all.
    • indiepanda
    • By indiepanda 22nd May 17, 12:29 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 6,439 Thanks
    indiepanda
    It's a beautiful day here, sat in the park with a coffee after my workout. Probably shouldn't have added an almond croissant, but I've walked the long way back round the park, up through Dulwich woods (it's a very small wood, but nice nonetheless) and back via the Horniman gardens, taking a few snaps as I went - there are some adorable goslings in Dulwich Park and also the last of the rhododendrons are in bloom, glad to catch now as they will be done by the time I get back from my travels. Need to get a bit sorted for my travels today so I can make an early start on Friday, but dying to finish my novel so it might need to wait a bit later...

The new trainers were definitely a worthwhile investment, could feel the benefit of the extra cushioning and it was nice to wear my new Nike workout gear. For years I couldn't fit in their largest size and here I am now wearing their second largest - which doesn't sound that exciting I suppose but feels like a result to me.

Even my cheap hiking gear was in a smaller size - bought cropped trousers and shorts that three years ago I would have been buying in size 18 and am now in 14s.

So I will forgive myself the croissant and look forward to an active holiday with just the odd treat.

Should do a bit of fabbing today too - feet could do with a pedicure ready for the trip - might finally be sandal weather... very exciting!
    • Ellsbel
    • By Ellsbel 22nd May 17, 12:47 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    Ellsbel
    Lovely to read such bright, positive posts I hope you thoroughly enjoyed the croissant Indie, and have a lovely holiday.
    Maman, I'm having a rest from shellac too but as I was going out on Friday evening I decided to paint my nails myself and used a base and top coat for a better finish - they've held up quite well; no chips yet!
    Hope LL is enjoying her trip - I can't remember how long it was going to be, but hopefully she's seeing and doing lots of interesting things.
    I've had two walks today - one with the dog, and one to the shops; it's very hot here but later this evening when it's a bit cooler I'll take myself off for a brisker walk to top up the exercise and add to my daily steps.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 22nd May 17, 1:00 PM
    • 10,132 Posts
    • 57,016 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hello. Ladies......

I'm back...... had a lovely time, weather was a bit mixed but no matter. I expected that.

However, first day a filling dropped out. I did not expect to have to visit a dentist in Germany. But it went well and better than suffering from toothache in the middle of the Baltic.
    Am feeling very tired now after the journey home on Saturday, catching up with the laundry etc.

Today is gorgeous so just going to nip out and do a few errands and then sit out in the garden with a book. Ds2 is dining out tonight so shall just cook myself a light bite for dinner.

He has painted my bedroom, a sort of duck egg blue which goes well with the white bed linens and mirrored furniture. Nice and light during the day but yet cosy at night. Need to sort out new curtains and a few new accessories.

Only put 2 lbs on over the holiday so happy with that.

Will need to read the thread and catch up with all of your news.

Bye for now.......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

701Posts Today

6,385Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin