Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Jan 17, 8:31 AM
    • 9,982Posts
    • 55,949Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World
    • 1st Jan 17, 8:31 AM
    Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World 1st Jan 17 at 8:31 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies

Welcome to the new Frump to Fab thread. A whole new world of frugal style and fabulousity. A place where we learn from each other how to be the best we can with the resources we have.

Can you be both frugal and fabulous, I think so. You can be both skint and stylish. You can have your cake and eat it, you can "live it large" on a minuscule budget.

So to all you newbies welcome. Join in the fun with the ladies in our fabulous online community. Here we discuss all things fabulous and we learn all about "fabbing".

Yes I know it's a made up word but what does it mean.

Well for us it means taking care of ourselves, our looks yes of course but it's more than "mere vanity".

"FAbbing" also means looking after our health, our well being, our homes, our careers, our hobbies, our interests and past times and not forgetting our finances.

ANd of course, it goes without saying, a verybig warm welcome to our regulars, returners, and lurkers.

So dear newbies Join in the fun with the ladies in our fabulous online community

Before we get started let me take this opportunity to wish you all A Very Happy, Peaceful and Prosperous New Year.

Today you may be busy with New Year's Day gatherings or you may Be feeling a little worse for wear after the New Years Eve Celebrations so for now we are going to be gentle.

No fasting, no detox (unless of course you want to) but I would advocate that we ease ourselves gently into the New Year by remembering our first mantra.

Step 1. Wear perfume. You should smell divine every day. Don't save your favourite fragrances "for best". Never again save anything for best. Don't we deserve to be the best we can be - every single day.

Ah but what about the cost I hear you say. This is a Money saving website after all.......

Well you don't have to douse yourself in your most expensive Dior or Chanel perfumes. A simple spray of cologne will still smell wonderful.

And one of the nicest smells of all is a waft of fresh clean soap. So if you can't afford perfume then at least make sure you are freshly washed or showered and use a lovely soap or shower gel.

So dig out some of those new smellies you got for Christmas and start using them.

Today's tip.

Got a perfume you don't like because it's too strong or heavy?? Dilute it.

Don't throw it away or regift it. Add it to some simple cream or lotion or even some vegetable oil and make a luxurious moisturising body treatment. The height of luxury and decadence for mere pennies.

I am still recovering from my chest infection.......feeling a lot better today but I'm still going to take it easy. So........I am going to spend some time today pondering on what I would like to achieve this year. I am not going to think in terms of New Years Resolutions it will be more a case of goal setting.

As most of you will know Dad died on Friday so much of January will entail making his funeral arrangements and sorting out his estate.
    This means that, realistically, I am going to be busy for the next couple of weeks so I might have to catch up with my new plans.

But.......just because I might not be posting everyday doesn't mean to
    Say that I won't be keeping a watchful eye on you. I shall be reading and observing!!!

So please start the new fabbing year without me and I'll catch up with you all again just as soon as I can.

Have a fabulous New Year's Day. See you all soon.

X
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 01-01-2017 at 2:09 PM.
Page 31
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 18th Mar 17, 9:14 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 13,544 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Hello everyone

I would like to come back and join in if thats ok. I used to come on a few years ago. Its been a bit of a rubbish few years and I'm as far away from fab as you can get.

I have just started the journey to lose 3 stones. I have really started to feel ill carrying the extra weight and want so much not to have to drag it round daily.

I used to wear perfume daily but have none at the moment. Make up is just foundation and mascara. It used to be everything. Nails.....well they have always been a disgrace. I have had a voucher since mothers day last year which is unused. I will be booking for a manicure as soon as possible.

I too also need to start loving myself.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £206/2500 8.24%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing should be wasted on the self-sufficient holding. The dustman should never have to call. John Seymour
    • chanie
    • By chanie 18th Mar 17, 9:17 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 7,814 Thanks
    chanie
    Gosh, the last few posts are full of sad news.

pink I struggle with drinking water and I have two methods which helps. Firstly, I have a water bottle which I sip throughout the day. Secondly, if I'm making a cuppa, I force myself to down a cup of water whilst the tea is brewing. It helps to stop thinking about it and just doing it.

ll how disrespectful of your sister.

sugar goid news about your grandson. I hope your daughter is okay. That must have been so scary for you all.

sukey sorry about your cat.

I also have some sad news. A relative of OHs died recently and the funeral was a couple of days ago.
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £643.55
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 18th Mar 17, 9:40 PM
    • 3,077 Posts
    • 27,017 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Gosh, the last few posts are full of sad news.

pink I struggle with drinking water and I have two methods which helps. Firstly, I have a water bottle which I sip throughout the day. Secondly, if I'm making a cuppa, I force myself to down a cup of water whilst the tea is brewing. It helps to stop thinking about it and just doing it.

ll how disrespectful of your sister.

sugar goid news about your grandson. I hope your daughter is okay. That must have been so scary for you all.

sukey sorry about your cat.

I also have some sad news. A relative of OHs died recently and the funeral was a couple of days ago.
    Originally posted by chanie
    It seems that quite a few of us are experiencing difficulties, health issues for ourselves or others and bereavements at the moment, sending virtual hugs to all who need/want some.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 18th Mar 17, 10:19 PM
    • 9,982 Posts
    • 55,949 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Oh dear lovely Ladies. What sad news from all of you. Sending you all hugs and helping vibes.

TBH I'm not much better myself. I've not felt too good today, went back to bed for a while and then spent most of the day in the sofa.

Wishing you all a peaceful and restful Sunday - hope you all feel better soon.

X
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 18th Mar 17, 11:25 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 5,497 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Sukey sorry about the loss of your cat.

LL I hope you are feeling a lot brighter and healthier soon. Do not let your sister's actions bring you down

My daughter is still in Hospital. She did not have a comfortable night because they failed to have 2 of her normal high strength painkillers in stock in the hospital pharmacy. The CT scan results came back and there was nothing abnormal, so they can not explain why she had the respiratory attack. I am able to speak to her direct, as she has her mobile on her. I can not dwell on what may have happened to my daughter if she had not already been a patient in the hospital when she had the attack. They had to cut her clothes off her, so they could get to work on reviving her as quickly as possible.

My grandson and his girlfriend came to visit us. Lots of laughter, smiles and talking all round.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 19th Mar 17, 7:37 AM
    • 1,522 Posts
    • 17,902 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Sorry to hear so many are going through tough times, hope the poorlies get better soon and gentle blessings to all that grieve.

When the weather was sunny and warm earlier in the week I did think about moving my summer clothes to the wardrobe in the bedroom but glad I didn't as it's turned cold again! I did have a good sort through and apart from another pair of canvas plimsolls and possibly a summer skirt am pretty sure that I don't need much else, that said if I lose the weight I want may need some more linen trousers etc. Athough I did have a glass of wine last night and a couple of squares of dark chocolate, they were thoroughly enjoyed and certainly not regretted.
    Have continued with my new skin care regime and to my eye it's certainly helping, have sourced a couple of good websites that seem to stock the kind of natural, ethical lines have been looking for. Earlier in the week I received a new day moisturiser from Green People and it's lovely they offer free postage on all orders which always helps so can see myself ordering more.
    We have a quiet day at home planned for today, nothing more strenuous than loads of reading and of course the Archers omnibus to listen to.
    Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday x
    • chanie
    • By chanie 19th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 7,814 Thanks
    chanie
    sugar I think you are right about not dwelling on what COULD have happened. I'd be a nervous wreck, so I have to put it all to one side.

lainey pleased your ethical skincare is working out.
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £643.55
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • indiepanda
    • By indiepanda 19th Mar 17, 9:50 AM
    • 946 Posts
    • 6,388 Thanks
    indiepanda
    Virtual hugs all round.

LL so sorry to hear about the ongoing issues with your sister. It reminds me of that old adage about being able to choose your friends but not being able to choose your family... Whilst some people are lucky enough to have come from a wonderful, loving and supportive family, some of us are saddled with relatives who we would never willingly be friends with, but we're expected to make the best of it because "blood is thicker than water". Judging when to stop trying and walk away is so hard.

Sukey, sorry to hear about your cat and Chanie about your OH's relative.

Sugar sorry to hear about your daughter, thank goodness she was in the right place for them to look after her.

I have some friends I have met on hiking trips and we chat on messenger to let each other know which trips we are planning to do next. They aren't my close friends like my London pals, live 100s of miles away and we don't tend to meet up in between trips, but still people whose company I've enjoyed and acquaintances sounds too cold a description for the good times we've enjoyed. Anyway one of them messaged us this week and I thought it was going to be to say she'd managed to get a room for the trip we are going on to Scotland this summer - there were limited singles which had sold out quick and she was on the wait list for one. So it was something of a shock to read that whilst she'd been offered a room, she wouldn't be taking it because her walking days were over as she was in hospital with an aggressive form of ovarian cancer. She was being very brave and told us not to worry as she had good times, but it was such a shock, only saw her in November and she seemed fine then. She is older than me, but probably only in mid fifties.

It really made me think - I always imagine I have a long life ahead to look forward to and am more worried about making sure I have enough savings to enjoy that retirement when it eventually comes than the possibility of never making retirement. But this serves as a salutary reminder that none of us know how long a life we have ahead, and whilst it's important to plan for the future, it's also vital to make sure we are making the most of the here and now. If it were me dying, I don't think I would be able to tell friends not to worry I had good times, I'd be frustrated at all the missed opportunities and things I have yet to do.

That's not me saying I am planning to live each day like it's my last - I've always though that an odd sentiment - I wouldn't go to work if I knew I was going to die the next day and I certainly wouldn't worry about trying to spend my money wisely. However, it does make me more determined to look after my health to maximise my life span (obesity is a risk factor for cancer and whilst not technically obese anymore I am still overweight) and to make the most of my life while I can.

The talk on how to get the guy yesterday was really interesting, presenter was very charismatic and it was impressive how long he could talk for with very few notes, it's a real skill. Given me lots of food for thought and have ordered the book which was written by his sons to get more ideas. Essentially what he was saying was dating is a numbers game and you've got to get out there and make lots of connections and always be looking for those opportunities to make some new connections and make the most of them. Also highlighted to me that I can be a bit of a serious stick and that whilst commitment to a relationship should be serious, dating should be quite fun and playful, and I need to let that more playful side out more to attract people to me.

I didn't stay for the practice night out - I was kind of people'd out by then after such a busy week, but I will be aiming to put into practice some of what I learned at Ceroc this afternoon. They were also talking about a retreat they run a couple of times a year in Florida and I've got a call to discuss the program with the presenter on Monday - this isn't so much about getting the guy you want as the life you want, and developing what they describe as "core confidence". He said the workshop could give you lots of strategies to meet people, but that if you don't have core confidence then you are likely to self sabotage or put up with being treated badly by the wrong guy (which certainly rings true for me!). He talked about three levels of confidence - surface confidence which is based on being good at things, and tends to mean you are confident in that situation rather than everywhere, lifestyle confidence which is based on the life you've built - home, job, friends etc, which is better, but if you lose some or all of those things, it can remove the confidence, and then core confidence is the true deep confidence in yourself and your own self worth, beyond your skills and lifestyle. I have moments of feeling that, but I am not convinced I am really there yet as I've not been tested that much lately.

Anyway, lots of things to do before I head out so better crack on, enjoy the rest of the weekend all x
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 19th Mar 17, 10:54 AM
    • 9,982 Posts
    • 55,949 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies

What a fantastic post Indie, as ever. I really appreciate the way you pass on what you Are learning on all your courses etc.

Core confidence......yes I do have this but it took me a long time to realise it. I was tested beyond endurance when my husband was ill and I learned then that I had inner strengths. I astonished myself (and quite a few others). I learned that I was no lightweight. The downside is that like you I can be a bit too serious at times and I have to remember to lighten up sometimes.

I think realising that I do have that inner strength and core confidence has given me the ability to distance myself from my sister. Yes she has hurt me......more than words can say. However I have not let it defeat me. I have been able to distance myself and I can truly say that the rift will not impact on my life in the long term. I simply won't allow it to ruin my life.

Indie......Sorry to hear about your walking friend. Yes I agree sometimes people we see only occasionally can be more than mere acquaintances. I guess what counts is the quality of time we spend with them not the quantity.

Well my post last night was a bit brief because I was feeling so rough myself.

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter, Sugarbaby. What a shock for you, of course you are worried. As you say she is in the right place. Hopefully they will get the pain meds sorted today.

SUkey - so sorry to hear about your little Kittie. Our furry friends are family,of course we miss them. My sons little cat is such a character, he sleeps on my bed most nights. He always senses if I'm a bit low and he gives me lots of cuddles to cheer me up.

Well I had a good sleep, 8 hours - . I still have a sore throat but I do feel much better.

At the moment I have a number of minor niggles, physically low and prey to minor infections, currently sore throat, eye infection, thrush , a sore finger nail (no infection, just a nail trauma) and still some fibromyalgia pain, so I definitely need some serious self love and TLC, but hopefully sleeping better will help.

I think that undoing 10 years of stress and trauma is going to take a little while. Patience is not my strong point but hopefully the forthcoming summer will help me get fitter and stronger.

I'm a bit nervous about starting the gym this week but I'll take it gently to begin with. I'm going to give it my best shot.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 19-03-2017 at 11:14 AM.
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 19th Mar 17, 10:07 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 5,546 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Thanks for all your kind words about the loss of my gorgeous little cat - they are much appreciated. He was such a wonderful little character and, as we don't have any children he was our 'fur baby' ❤.

Sounds like you have really been through the mill lately LL - take your time and build up your strength - hope you enjoy your gym session.

Hope your daughter feels better soon sugar - it must have been a real shock for you.

Sorry to hear about your friend indie - mid-fifties is no age

Take care all - lets all hope for a better week ahead.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 21st Mar 17, 3:51 PM
    • 9,982 Posts
    • 55,949 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hello lovely ladies. How are we all.

Well I'm all set for my induction at the gym tomorrow. Feeling a bit nervous TBH. I have my physios approval - with strict caveats to take things slowly. Absolutely no running.........and not to let the trainer push me too hard.

I have had a little spend on gym wear, trainers, sports bras, water bottle etc. I feel like a child again, going off to big school - all in my new kit.

I'll keep you posted.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 21st Mar 17, 5:23 PM
    • 3,077 Posts
    • 27,017 Thanks
    maddiemay
    LL- I hope that your gym visit goes well, grinned about your "new school uniform"

I investigated the local gym, but decided it was not for me, no ladies only or oldies sessions, just so many machines being frequented by very fit and rather sweaty people, mostly blokes, none of that would have been a problem except that I felt the trainer was not really interested in old folk like me and that I would be left to my own devices and might well end up doing myself harm.

Fortunately there is a small private gym, it is quite expensive for my 1 to 1 session each week, but the PT is a great guy and really cares about his clients and has quite a few oldies with joint/back problems like me.

I have been reading, but not posting much, some very serious health stuff going on around me, difficult keeping my mood up when so worried, but I do try not to dwell too much on things that I cannot possibly influence, self preservation I guess.

Sorry not to reply individually to previous posts, but have been sending virtual hugs and positive thoughts to you all.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 22nd Mar 17, 11:34 AM
    • 889 Posts
    • 5,497 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I am off work today as I have a very upset stomach. Hopefully I will be fine by tomorrow.

My daughter is still in the Hospital. She has been moved to another ward. She has really swollen legs, because they did not have a spare wheelchair for her to use, so she just has to lay in bed. Her circulation does not work effectively if she has to spend days on end in bed. As she can not walk unaided, not having a wheelchair is really frustrating for her. They had to move her to another ward, as too many of the elderly patients had flu in her previous ward. As her lung function is still not what it should be, she was at real risk being surrounded by so many patients with flu. Apparently one of the nurses explained that it is a different strain of flu than the flu jab.

I came home from work tired yesterday, but I still went to Karaoke. I am glad that I did, because I had a really good evening. I sang 4 songs.

1. Hurt so good by Susan Cadogan
    2. It;s Now or Never by Elvis
    3. Lean On Mean by Bill Withers
    4. Make You Feel MY Love by Adele

I wore my M & S Autograph purple velour skirt, my purple Kaliko cardigan and a black sleeveless top with my Clarks black leather ankle boots and my black leather long jacket. I layered my perfume with the matching body lotion and the body powder. I only wore clear nail polish and clear lip gloss. I wore my silver necklace with the Purple sandstone heart pendant with the matching earrings, a silver and diamonique ring and my stainless steel and diamond Ingersoll watch.

I am sending a virtual hug to every woman who needs one. It can make all of the difference. Remember to take care of yourselves ladies.

LL I hope your induction at the gym lives up to your expectations
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 22nd Mar 17, 12:02 PM
    • 9,982 Posts
    • 55,949 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Sugarbaby. Snap. I have a poorly tummy too. Had to cancel the gym. Hey ho, hope you feel better soon. I'm sure I will.

I have packed my bag for swimming tomorrow if I'm up to it, so I can just go when I'm ready.

I have managed to do a few yoga type stretches, maybe a walk later if the rain holds off. I'll just do, what I can when I can, maybe put on some music and have a bit of a dance to get moving.

I'm not going to be silly about it. I will get fitter, it might just take me a while.

Gosh what a worry about your daughter. I do hope they get her sorted out soon. I know I shouldn't say this but I find that hospital stays can sometimes actually hinder someone's recovery - lack of movement, poor food, not enough sleep, exposure to bugs and germs. The patient only really starts to recuperate when they come home.

So I guess once they sort out the actual medical issues the sooner she comes home the better. She can then go at her own pace.

Yes I agree hugs to all. Quite a few of us seem to be struggling a bit at the moment. I really feel like I'm going backwards at the moment so I have prescribed myself some serious self love and plenty of TLC.

On a positive note the clocks go forward this weekend so the days will be getting longer (and hopefully) a bit warmer.
    • maman
    • By maman 22nd Mar 17, 12:51 PM
    • 16,630 Posts
    • 99,333 Thanks
    maman
    I'm back from my short holiday and scan read the posts. So sorry to hear many of you are struggling with health issues and bad news.

Something LL posted about inner strength resonated. I'm a strong person. It's something I'm proud of and work hard on BUT..... I think we all have days when we wish someone looked after us instead of us being the strong one. I sometimes look around at people (often women) of my acquaintance who are needy and lightweight and have everyone rushing around to help them and wonder if I'm the mug and should have chosen to be an airhead! I think blonde highlights is about as far as I can let myself go.

I have made a decision to be a bit kinder to myself though. I've been doing some part time/voluntary work for a few years which is very stressful. I won't say too much as it's in the counselling/HR field and uses my skills but I think it's time to go for something less demanding. I'll tell my colleagues this week and then after Easter start looking at other possibilities. I'm fortunate in that I no longer need to work but my mindset won't let me do nothing.

We had a great holiday. I think I probably preferred Prague to Budapest but both are great for a short break. It was out first time in Eastern Europe, Vienna and Berlin probably being the closest we've been before. We're already talking about Krakow and maybe Warsaw for a future trip.

I made good choices with clothes to take with me and managed fine with just cabin luggage. What I did miss was hair mousse! I must look out for a travel size pack if they make that sort of thing. What brand have you been using petal?

Not much happening here today. We've unpacked and I've put on one machine load. Hoping to find something in the freezer for dinner (DD kindly bought in milk and bread for us) otherwise I'll have to go to the shops.

Rain has stopped and sun is out.
    • Rubyslippers77
    • By Rubyslippers77 23rd Mar 17, 9:36 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 1,651 Thanks
    Rubyslippers77
    Logging on again after a short break - sorry to hear sad news from a few people, sending hugs to anyone who needs them. Sugarbaby and LL I hope you feel better soon

Not much news here, I have the sniffles due to lack of sleep more than anything else….. the boys are a real handful and still don't sleep through, so with OH getting up early for work it's been very tiring. He's been going to bed early as well leaving me with all the housework I'm hoping for a nice break on Mother's Day, must be his turn at last…..

We've booked a holiday to Portugal at the end of April, I'm trying to lose another few pounds by then - 5.5lb lost so far in three weeks - which is good but I do appreciate having clothes in a bigger size to 'tide me over', I hated feeling like a stuffed sausage in the size 12's (although I'd like to be back in them soon!!). I'm trying some new make up as well from Lily Lolo, don't know if anyone's used their foundations before? They do sample sizes which is really useful, and I've also bought a 'neutral pink' lipstick (Romantic Rose) which I'm liking so far.

A couple of questions for you fab ladies! Firstly does anyone use tinted moisturiser and if so, could you recommend a brand? I was thinking of taking some on holiday - not the fake tan one but one you can wash off if you look a bit orange (as I've done before! ) but don't know any brands which are good for pale/ fair skin. The Olay one gets generally good reviews on the cheap side or Laura Mercier on the other end of the scale…..

And secondly, I've bought five bras now from Debenhams which the underwiring has come out of - once within two weeks! - I'm reluctant to buy any more from there even though they're reasonably priced and I liked the designs, does anyone have another brand they like?

By the way maman, I'm using the Palmers fake tan moisturiser on my legs at the moment - I'm liking it apart from turning my hands a bit brown too where I don't wash it off properly!
    • savingfortomorrow
    • By savingfortomorrow 23rd Mar 17, 10:40 PM
    • 498 Posts
    • 3,435 Thanks
    savingfortomorrow
    Logging on again after a short break - sorry to hear sad news from a few people, sending hugs to anyone who needs them. Sugarbaby and LL I hope you feel better

A couple of questions for you fab ladies! Firstly does anyone use tinted moisturiser and if so, could you recommend a brand? I was thinking of taking some on holiday - not the fake tan one but one you can wash off if you look a bit orange (as I've done before! ) but don't know any brands which are good for pale/ fair skin.

And secondly, I've bought five bras now from Debenhams which the underwiring has come out of - once within two weeks! - I'm reluctant to buy any more from there even though they're reasonably priced and I liked the designs, does anyone have another brand they like?

By the way maman, I'm using the Palmers fake tan moisturiser on my legs at the moment - I'm liking it apart from turning my hands a bit brown too where I don't wash it off properly!
    Originally posted by Rubyslippers77
    I really like the superdrug bb cream it suits my pale as a ghost appearance. It is very pigmented for a tinted moisturiser so has a good amount of coverage with out it being watery. It is great as a little goes so long. It is brilliant. I use it over the regular moisturiser and find it very forgiving to even apply without a mirror.

Bras ... I like tesco and spanx brahelluah range. They both are very comfortable and no issues. The spanx one is ten fold higher than tesco but the straps are great for the shoulders.

I put the glam dress on today and it gives me more confidence. I can't believe I had so much make up on today but it looked natural. I am using my custom blend foundation (mixed 2 half used together and whitened it down with the body shop drops). Trying to use a darker foundation that does not match makes any look seem heavy in my experience. So I'm going to keep adjusting the colours.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 23rd Mar 17, 11:30 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 5,497 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Ruby it is good to see you back here. Did you not consider returning the bras to Debenhams as faulty for a refund or exchange? They were not fit for purpose. You have done really well with your weight loss and your make up Ruby.

As I was unwell yesterday and did not go to work, I did not get caught up in the Westminster terrorist attack as I was safely tucked up on my sofa, resting. My thoughts are with all of the families that were affected.
    • ali-t
    • By ali-t 24th Mar 17, 7:17 AM
    • 3,727 Posts
    • 6,308 Thanks
    ali-t
    Ruby, do you hand wash or machine wash your bras? I havent had a single wire pop out since i started handwashing bras.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
    • indiepanda
    • By indiepanda 24th Mar 17, 7:27 AM
    • 946 Posts
    • 6,388 Thanks
    indiepanda
    Not much news here, I have the sniffles due to lack of sleep more than anything else….. the boys are a real handful and still don't sleep through, so with OH getting up early for work it's been very tiring. He's been going to bed early as well leaving me with all the housework I'm hoping for a nice break on Mother's Day, must be his turn at last…..

We've booked a holiday to Portugal at the end of April, I'm trying to lose another few pounds by then - 5.5lb lost so far in three weeks - which is good but I do appreciate having clothes in a bigger size to 'tide me over', I hated feeling like a stuffed sausage in the size 12's (although I'd like to be back in them soon!!). I'm trying some new make up as well from Lily Lolo, don't know if anyone's used their foundations before? They do sample sizes which is really useful, and I've also bought a 'neutral pink' lipstick (Romantic Rose) which I'm liking so far.

A couple of questions for you fab ladies! Firstly does anyone use tinted moisturiser and if so, could you recommend a brand? I was thinking of taking some on holiday - not the fake tan one but one you can wash off if you look a bit orange (as I've done before! ) but don't know any brands which are good for pale/ fair skin. The Olay one gets generally good reviews on the cheap side or Laura Mercier on the other end of the scale…..

Originally posted by Rubyslippers77
    Hi Ruby, hoping you get a bit of a break on mother's day and a chance to relax on holiday.

I am quite fair and I have used Estee Lauder's Daywear BB cream as a tinted moisturiser, but have also used Olay's one.

For bras I am the walking British stereotype and go to M&S every time. I wonder whether the supermarket brands would be worth investigating though - any clothes I have had from Sainsbury's TU I've been very pleased with - they're becoming my first choice for nightwear as they have a nice variety of colours as well as the cotton being super soft.

I might have to get some new bras soon - I noticed that I am having to hoike the straps up and do the back up on a tighter hook on some of mine. Will hold out as long as I can and will try to be a bit more minimalist with my next set of purchases. For someone who mainly lives in t shirt bras I have a lot of fancy ones with lace which don't work under my jersey tops and dresses, and whilst it's nice to have the odd sexy one, while I am single I could manage on a few t shirt ones until I get down to a smaller size. I think once I've got down to goal weight I will probably settle at a 34 C or something like that - was what I was before I put on weight. Am presently wearing a 36 DD, which is still an improvement over the 36 F s I was wearing when I turned 40 four and a bit years ago.

Seeing my colour consultant at the weekend, ordered a few clothes in smaller sizes and want to try a few different make up colours. Having not been that interested in make up for every day use for decades I am suddenly finding myself wanting to make an effort and wear it more often - bought a few new bits already. It's like now I feel better on the inside I want to look my best on the outside.

I am really happy with my latest hair cut, had quite a few complements on it and it's easier to style - still a bob but slightly longer and with lots of shaping. However the complements might be linked to the fact I am more inclined to blow dry and straighten it - am sure people got very used to my curly look. I posted a selfie on Facebook that I took on the way out last Friday to update my profile photo and had lots of positive comments which I have to confess was something of an ego boost.

Booked my September hiking trip - off to Romania to go hiking with my usual group. Talking to another friend about potentially doing a week before or after in Italy. I would like to get two weeks off at once like I did last year, but again I've managed to book a week here and there rather than a fortnight. Still, I like variety, a whole fortnight of hiking is too much but last year hiking followed by yoga with a bit of sightseeing was a good combination.

I let myself get talked into signing up to a retreat in Florida.. hoping I haven't made a mistake, but I think it will be good fun and could be life enhancing or even life changing, and I will add on a little time to explore Miami's art deco area which is something I've wanted to do for yonks. I adored Napier in New Zealand which is their art deco town and Miami is on a grander scale. Be nice to get some sun in November too and gives me a good goal to work towards - I will be slim enough that I will be proud to show off my figure in a bikini. I know it's feminist to say "how to get a bikini body: get a bikini and put it on your body" and I admire the women that do just that regardless of size, but I know I would be far too self conscious in anything other than a one piece with my tummy safely hidden at my current size. Actually, if I keep going at this rate I might even take one away in September.

Still loving my Ceroc, went to class on Monday and got chatting before the lesson to a guy I've danced with a few times and rather like. My flirting skills are abysmal so he probably doesn't have a clue I don't just like dancing with him, but at least I managed a normal conversation and got his name so a bit of progress. And maybe as I get further through the "get the guy" book I will learn a few flirting tricks to use over different weeks of class. Am not in a rush to get a man anyway - dating and healthy living are often in conflict!

Went to another talk on weight loss this week but I didn't really take to the presenter or agree with everything he said - did pick up a useful tip on how to deal with feelings of hunger - basically it's about conditioning yourself to live with some feelings (mainly desire to eat when not hungry or eat something you know isn't good for you) rather than take action to avoid them. You ask yourself three questions a) is this feeling causing me harm b) can I bear it? c) if it's not causing me harm and I can bear it, what is the problem with having this feeling? Made me think a bit - perhaps we've got a bit self indulgent as a society - used to having our whims indulged more quickly than our grandparents generation and too quick to react to feelings in a world where food is abundant.

Got a busy weekend ahead (bet you're surprised to hear that... not!), out at the Rivoli ballroom on Sunday for a 70s/80s disco and then off to the parents on Sunday - Dad's birthday and mother's day. Must dash - I hear on the news a local road on my bus route is closed as well as the trains being delayed so journey to work is going to be a pain - might stick my trainers on and accept I need to walk a fair bit of it!

Have a good weekend all xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,452Posts Today

7,557Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin