Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 1st Jan 17, 8:31 AM
    • 9,391Posts
    • 52,913Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World
    • 1st Jan 17, 8:31 AM
    Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World 1st Jan 17 at 8:31 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies

Welcome to the new Frump to Fab thread. A whole new world of frugal style and fabulousity. A place where we learn from each other how to be the best we can with the resources we have.

Can you be both frugal and fabulous, I think so. You can be both skint and stylish. You can have your cake and eat it, you can "live it large" on a minuscule budget.

So to all you newbies welcome. Join in the fun with the ladies in our fabulous online community. Here we discuss all things fabulous and we learn all about "fabbing".

Yes I know it's a made up word but what does it mean.

Well for us it means taking care of ourselves, our looks yes of course but it's more than "mere vanity".

"FAbbing" also means looking after our health, our well being, our homes, our careers, our hobbies, our interests and past times and not forgetting our finances.

ANd of course, it goes without saying, a verybig warm welcome to our regulars, returners, and lurkers.

So dear newbies Join in the fun with the ladies in our fabulous online community

Before we get started let me take this opportunity to wish you all A Very Happy, Peaceful and Prosperous New Year.

Today you may be busy with New Year's Day gatherings or you may Be feeling a little worse for wear after the New Years Eve Celebrations so for now we are going to be gentle.

No fasting, no detox (unless of course you want to) but I would advocate that we ease ourselves gently into the New Year by remembering our first mantra.

Step 1. Wear perfume. You should smell divine every day. Don't save your favourite fragrances "for best". Never again save anything for best. Don't we deserve to be the best we can be - every single day.

Ah but what about the cost I hear you say. This is a Money saving website after all.......

Well you don't have to douse yourself in your most expensive Dior or Chanel perfumes. A simple spray of cologne will still smell wonderful.

And one of the nicest smells of all is a waft of fresh clean soap. So if you can't afford perfume then at least make sure you are freshly washed or showered and use a lovely soap or shower gel.

So dig out some of those new smellies you got for Christmas and start using them.

Today's tip.

Got a perfume you don't like because it's too strong or heavy?? Dilute it.

Don't throw it away or regift it. Add it to some simple cream or lotion or even some vegetable oil and make a luxurious moisturising body treatment. The height of luxury and decadence for mere pennies.

I am still recovering from my chest infection.......feeling a lot better today but I'm still going to take it easy. So........I am going to spend some time today pondering on what I would like to achieve this year. I am not going to think in terms of New Years Resolutions it will be more a case of goal setting.

As most of you will know Dad died on Friday so much of January will entail making his funeral arrangements and sorting out his estate.
    This means that, realistically, I am going to be busy for the next couple of weeks so I might have to catch up with my new plans.

But.......just because I might not be posting everyday doesn't mean to
    Say that I won't be keeping a watchful eye on you. I shall be reading and observing!!!

So please start the new fabbing year without me and I'll catch up with you all again just as soon as I can.

Have a fabulous New Year's Day. See you all soon.

X
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 01-01-2017 at 2:09 PM.
Page 29
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 8th Mar 17, 4:56 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 4,947 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Sukey - if it's the set I think then it has the green scrubbier head on? If so, Need to be really gentle till you are used to it. I bought that head when mine needed replacing and it's very good in a thorough scrub style.

I've had three emails from different beauty companies today doing spend X for our free super value goodie bag, alll in the space of half an hour. Don't they know I am trying to be good?
    Originally posted by hex2
    Yes, it is that one hex - I ordered that because I use the 'ant-blemish' products from Clinique (when I can get them on offer). Thanks for the advice - I will see how I go with it and if I find it too harsh then I will replace it when the time comes with one of the other heads.

Some of those emails are so tempting aren't they but, like you, I do try and resist - not always successfully
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 8th Mar 17, 11:04 PM
    • 11,860 Posts
    • 212,131 Thanks
    greenbee
    I've had three emails from different beauty companies today doing spend X for our free super value goodie bag, alll in the space of half an hour. Don't they know I am trying to be good?
    Originally posted by hex2
    Unsubscribe button?
    • indiepanda
    • By indiepanda 8th Mar 17, 11:41 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 5,794 Thanks
    indiepanda
    Well done indie on your weight loss and lifestyle changes it is difficult to keep up with healthy choices when you don't have as much control over what's on offer, I've been snacking on cereal bars to escape the coffee shop temptations when it would be easy to escape the builders that way! And I agree that a champagne festival with no free champagne, not even one glass, sounds a bit rubbish. Are you going to see Shed Seven on their latest tour?? My indie music-loving friend has bought a ticket to that one off gig in August that I can't make - sniff!

Thank you as usual for your inspirational posts LL, makeover March sounds like a great idea! I've set myself the target of losing 7lb by the end of April; not where I wanted to be weight-wise but I just don't have the opportunity to exercise more and eat as healthily as I'd like at the moment.
    Originally posted by Rubyslippers77
    Yes, I took some of my own snacks with me but it was little things like a lot of the seminar rooms not having water in and drinking too much coffee which made me feel really out of sorts as well as limited lunch options. Not going away again till Easter and will try to prepare a bit better for that - we get a packed lunch on our hiking trip but I might just take some of those John West tuna pouches and good oatcakes to have instead of sandwiches to keep the carb content down. I've asked for gluten free before, and that's fine when they do a salad but some places get gluten free bread which is generally foul and as am not gluten intolerant, just trying to avoid carbs, it isn't really an improvement over a regular sandwich. I take my own snacks rather than have the ones provided - chocolate, crisps and regular cereal bars (i.e. the ones loaded with sugar etc. I would rather have a protein ball that fills me up more), though there's usually one piece of fruit which is ok.

Not planning to go to see Shed Seven. I was always more of a Bluetones fan, though I did see Shed Seven and the Bluetones both supporting Ocean Colour Scene last summer.

Am gutted the Killers are playing Hyde Park the day I travel back from a hiking trip in Scotland. Not realistic to get back in time for anything other than the evening slot and as it's a day thing with lots of support the tickets are just silly money to only see the headline. All I have booked at the moment gigwise is Starshaped in August.

Hello everyone,

I am still reading along with everyone's fabbing and enjoying all the tips. The healthy eating is going relatively well, have lost 4lbs so far and am happy with a slower loss rate as it's a case of breaking the habit of comfort eating more than anything. Think it helps that I am enjoying my cooking again and experimenting more with new recipes, with trying to avoid carbs it means more room for veg and we are averaging 6-7 portions a day. My aim is to have dropped a full 2 stones by the end of this year and be in size 10-12.
    Originally posted by LaineyT
    Cutting down on carbs definitely seems to be the best way to up the veg content. I can't imagine how you could get to the ten portions a day they are now suggesting we need whilst regularly having things like cereal, bread and pasta - need a good amount of veg or fruit (mainly the former) at every meal.

Hope you're pleased with the sonic brush sukey. You got that pack at a very good price. I can't really say it's made an amazing difference yet but I'm sure taking the time to pamper helps.

Glad to hear the healthy eating and weightloss are going well for you both Lainey and indie. Although we know it's good for health to eat well, it's motivating when the results show on the scales too. You're right about taking it slowly Lainey. IMO it needs a long term change in how we eat (and drink) to maintain a healthy weight not a crash course and then back to the junk. I'm all for having a treat but I think to many people eat junk food on a daily basis so it's become the norm.
    Originally posted by maman
    I have a clarisonic but I have to admit I am not sure it really improved my skin noticeably and I haven't been as diligent as using as a result. I maybe was overcautious getting the sensitive brush. I have some fine broken veins in my cheeks that I didn't want to aggravate, but I think my t zone needs something less delicate to clear the pores out.

The scales told me this morning I have just lost enough to be the lightest I've been whilst living in London - and it's nearly ten years ago I moved here. . The last time I was about this low was when I got home from my last juice detox - and that's not a sustainable way of living.

I still have a long journey to get back down to a really healthy weight and then maintain it as I was overweight when I moved here, but it's a good milestone. Am a stone and three quarters below the weight I was when I turned 40 and I can really see the difference when I look back at photos from then.

The really positive thing is what I am doing feels more sustainable. I am now enjoying preparing my own food where I just used to see it as a chore and I don't get crazy hungry like I used to when I was eating more carbs and just trying to cut down on portions etc. I don't feel like I am really depriving myself either. I think I am finally feeling like the negative impact of being overweight is far worse than any sacrifice on the cakes / sweets front. Though if you told me I couldn't have a little dark chocolate that might just be a sacrifice too far. Fortunately the plan allows me that :-)

I've been to Ceroc tonight. Have stepped up to doing the intermediate class now as have done a couple of beginner workshops as well as the evening classes. Really enjoying it, today was rather stressful at work but by the time did the class and an hour of freestyle after I had a skip in my step again. Got another workshop this weekend too. Am sad that I can't make my regular class the next couple of weeks and trying to work out which night and venue to go to instead. I really want to do the things I am doing instead - Dreamgirls at the theatre and a seminar on the psychology of weight loss. I went to another seminar last night, on the neuroscience of powerful habits which was really interesting and gave me some more tips on how to make lasting change. Remind me and I will say more about that another time - just spotted the time and it's definitely past my bed time.

Hope the rest of the week goes well for all of you xx
    • Time to Change
    • By Time to Change 9th Mar 17, 12:19 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Time to Change
    Hi Ladies
    I hope you don't mind me joining this thread late into 2017. I read throughout 2016 and wrote a post at the end of 2016 with all the intentions of changing! 2016 was an awful year and I was ready for a new start. Unfortunelt I got bogged down with the daily grime of life and 3 months later I'm looking back thinking I did nothing and it gets me down!

So today I have spent this morning skimming through the posts (just the last 7 pages of 29 to read now!!). However getting back reading this thread has started a little fire inside to get back to it.

I have sorted my Cosmetic/lotions drawers and I have so much that I can use - many of them premium brands that I have just put away for special use - but why when they could be making me feel better now!

So im 2 stones overweight yet look about 4. People tell me I don't look overweight bu I know they're being kind, Im a size 18 but its all around the belly area, I have many rolls and I cant seem to dress for my shape.

Im not currently working and I think I'm getting a bit lonely and in a rut of daily housework and cleaning up after people - I often think of getting to the gym but think oh I could get the kitchen tidy instead etc etc so don't end up going and then feel rubbish!

I have a very strong Sugar addiction with fizzy drinks and id love to get off them so I will start to drink water from today - can I add cordial? I hate plain water.

So my resolution is to post regularly and to keep up the momentum that you all seem to give everyone on here (thank you), I'm hoping this will inspire me to get out doing exercise and eating better.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 9th Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    • 9,391 Posts
    • 52,913 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hello Lovely Ladies and Welcome Time to Change

Shoulder still bad so can't type much so sorry if I don't Acknowledge you all personally. I am still reading each day though.

I have just spent most of the morning sorting out paperwork, buying travel insurance, doing my banking etc. The weather is lovely again so I'm just off for a walk.

Did a good walk yesterday and restarted some yoga and a mini workout with small hand weights. Need to build up slowly, a bit extra each day.

See you all later ......
    • Floss
    • By Floss 9th Mar 17, 1:09 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 25,992 Thanks
    Floss
    Time to change why not try chilling a jug of water with sliced grapefruit, lime or orange in, it tastes nicer than plain tap water
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Mar 17, 2:46 PM
    • 15,800 Posts
    • 94,075 Thanks
    maman
    Welcome timetochange.

Time to change why not try chilling a jug of water with sliced grapefruit, lime or orange in, it tastes nicer than plain tap water
    Originally posted by Floss

I'd echo that. I drink a glass of squash (grapefruit High Juice) with breakfast each morning in place of fruit juice. Some people have issues with 'no added sugar' drinks but I have so little sweetener that it doesn't bother me. Another thing I drink is hot water with a splash of lemon or lime juice. Other than that I'm happy with tap water although I seem to drink more from a sports bottle rather than a glass.

Great news about reaching your 'lowest weight in 10 years' target indie. I eat carbs but only things like potatoes, pasta and rice with meals and then cooked plain not deep fried or anything like that. I limit myself to a single slice of wholemeal bread a day and if I have cereal (porage of plain Puffed Wheat) then I don't have the bread. I have loads of vegetables (not a big fruit fan) but to reach 10 a day I'd have to start snacking between meals and that's not something I want do. I think you're wise to plan ahead and you're so right that it has to become an ingrained habit to effect lasting change.

It's an absolutely glorious day here, warm and sunny. I've been out for a walk this morning and then we stopped for a coffee in the sunshine. It was one of those organised health walks which I've been on once before. timetochange, it's so easy to just potter about at home and end up not achieving what you want. There's nothing to stop me going out for a walk any day but joining an organised one seems to help. If that's not for you then perhaps make yourself a planner and tick off your visits to the gym, walks or whatever else you plan. Sometimes seeing it written down gives a sense of achievement. That being said, although I think exercise is important (for a feel good factor if nothing else) it's what you eat and drink IMO that will get you weightloss.

I did my usual people watching while on my walk (sunny enough for Raybans today which always helps). It's amazing how the same basic clothes can look very different depending on choices. There are smart, sporty jackets and there are anoraks!

I don't have the 'rough' head on my Clinique brush but it does have a gentle area for cheeks etc. and a slightly rougher one for the t zone.

I'm slowly working through a load of products too and I'm definitely not keeping anything for 'best' any more. I did a light make up this morning: eyebrows (get me!), mascara, lippy and a brush over with the Bourjois Healthy Balance powder which (I think ) ruby recommended.

I washed all my make up and hair brushes yesterday too. Spring must be in the air!
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 9th Mar 17, 2:56 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 4,947 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Welcome back Time to Change - you could add 'no added suger' cordial to your water to make it more interesting

Sorry to hear you are still in pain LL - enjoy your walk.

It is beautiful here today - went out at lunchtime and it is 17 degrees - feels like a proper Spring day at last

I'm all excited as my Clinique brush has just turned up so I will put it on charge tonight ready to start on my new routine tomorrow. I put a face pack (Avocado & Oatmeal from a sachet) on last night so skin is feeling good today - felt better on my skin than the last one I tried which was 'Dead Sea Minerals'. Think I will carry on with the sachets until I find one I really like.

Enjoy the lovely weather while it lasts everyone
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 9th Mar 17, 7:04 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 9,136 Thanks
    shanks77
    time to change I use sparkling water and finds it tastes so much better than plain. I used to drink loads of fizzy juice and cordials but now only have once in a blue moon and tbh find they are too sweet now. Supermarket cheap version is as good as anything and at 17p if you don't like it haven't wasted much. Good luck and let us know how u get on xx
    • chanie
    • By chanie 10th Mar 17, 9:19 PM
    • 1,509 Posts
    • 6,951 Thanks
    chanie
    Hi fabbers,

I had a 'me' day today. I had a facial and a bit of retail therapy at Westfield, which was bliss.

I've been eyeing up a dress in French Connection which I was going to buy next month, but it's currently on offer, so I was going to juggle my budget to buy it today. When I saw the dress in store, it was lovely, but too similar to another dress I have. I don't think I'll get enough wear out of it go justify the price, so I was MSE and didn't buy it.
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £395.74
    MAY food budget - £65(groceries) £0 (Costco)
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • DD265
    • By DD265 11th Mar 17, 1:26 PM
    • 1,237 Posts
    • 3,169 Thanks
    DD265
    Welcome back Time To Change. I hardly ever drink plain water; usually have some sugar free cordial.

Chanie, I think it depends how much you like the dress. If you'd be excited to wear it and therefore wear it more often, it could be a good investment. I opted not to buy a dress recently for a similar reason; I already have two with navy backgrounds so would've preferred a different colour. I might get it later if it goes in the sale.

I have been naughty, but I don't feel any regret whatsoever. I signed up to an 8 week Pilates course under a physiotherapist. I had my assessment on Wednesday (£40) and the course itself is £80 so £10 a week, plus I have a programme to work on alone too. I did the first group session this morning and I actually really enjoyed it. I didn't find the exercises as hard as I thought I'd might, but it was all dynamic with no holding positions. I'd tried a class (twice) years ago and hated it - boring! And way too hard to maintain positions. I feel like my body isn't recovering from my workouts, and thought that Pilates might be the solution.

The really naughty bit I guess is that I signed up for the Bloody Good Life 101 course on Tuesday - that's over £500 on the credit card (interest free). In my defense I've already paid £100 of it off. I'm just sick of being b*tchy and reactive and I don't like who I become sometimes. When I pressed pay, I waited for the "you've made a big mistake" gut feeling to kick in and it didn't, nor has it reared it's head this week. I'm quite excited, actually. OH is less optimistic and says it'd better be worth it or he'll hunt the lady down. I ought to give him a score sheet to monitor my progress.
    Barclaycard: £800.00/£2907.26 - 72% paid
    MBNA: £2529.41/£3866.92 - 34% paid
    • chanie
    • By chanie 11th Mar 17, 8:38 PM
    • 1,509 Posts
    • 6,951 Thanks
    chanie
    time to change I have sugar free cordial as well.

Dd265 although I really like the dress, I'm happy with my decision not to buy it. Even with the discount it's £70 and I paid full price for the dress I have, so it's a lot of money for two similar dresses. I'm eyeing up other stuff which I'd rather get instead!!!!
    Good for you on your courses. I think it's so important to keep body and mind active. Even if you don't like the courses, as least you've tried something new and put yourself out there.
    • savingfortomorrow
    • By savingfortomorrow 12th Mar 17, 9:35 AM
    • 424 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    savingfortomorrow
    i really don'-t like cordial at all but i drink a lot of fruit tea.

i fell off the looking great wagon. My hair is looking a bit lank and im in need of a real pamper. I have been eating better and drimking caffine free tea.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 14,082 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Another one here who isn't keen on cordial, an occasional lime maybe, but I do like fizzy water especially with a slice of lemon to 'brighten' it up, this way I can manage my 2 litres a day.

It seems like I have had a slight case of rosacea come on, for the last few months have had a couple of little red spots on my nose which refuse to disappear, thinking back this seems to have coincided with the onslaught of the menopause and hot flushes I will look to book an appointment with a dermatologist in the near future but am 99% sure that it's rosacea.
    So, have been re-thinking my skin routine, no abrasive exfoliating, nothing with too much alcohol etc and certainly more products to suit sensitive skin. Sun protection is another biggie.
    All this has to be tied up with a natural a product as possible and definitely no animal testing so think need to do some research, thank heavens for google!
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Mar 17, 12:07 PM
    • 15,800 Posts
    • 94,075 Thanks
    maman
    So, have been re-thinking my skin routine, no abrasive exfoliating, nothing with too much alcohol etc and certainly more products to suit sensitive skin.
    Originally posted by LaineyT

I know I took this the wrong way but it made me smile!

Martin would be very proud of you chanie. Good reasoning too if you have other things you've got your eye on.

I don't like sweet squash (or any sweet drinks really) which is why I'm happy with the grapefruit High Juice.

It's my birthday today. DD has been round for coffee and with lovely Clarins gifts so I won't need to buy perfume for a while. DH and I are going to the cinema this afternoon and then for something to eat so no cooking for me today. Then on Wednesday we're off to Prague which is by way of a birthday treat.

We're flying for the first time with hand luggage only so I've been thinking carefully about toiletries and make up. DD bought me a mini shampoo and conditioner and a handbag sized perfume in with the larger one but I think I'll be cutting into DH's allowance too!
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 12th Mar 17, 12:16 PM
    • 1,553 Posts
    • 8,568 Thanks
    grunnie
    Happy Birthday Maman enjoy your trip away.
    • Tiggger
    • By Tiggger 12th Mar 17, 3:55 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    Tiggger
    Happy Birthday Maman, enjoy your special day.

Re travelling on hand luggage and toiletries: I find that Clarins Consultants will often give you a sample of moisturiser/ cleanser which is enough for a few days. I also decant my shampoo/conditioner into the hotel sample size bottles as even the mini, travel size tubes take up a lot of room in my clear plastic bag, this works well if you only have to do a couple of hair washes. I have also taken two shampoos and one conditioner for a week!

Enjoy Prague, lovely places to visit - we managed to visit the Presidential Palace when we were there - it has the poshest Ladies loo I've ever used, and amazing chandeliers. But as my husband pointed out the 'Ladies' have to be fit for Queens and Presidents!
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 12th Mar 17, 5:40 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 4,947 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Happy Birthday Maman

Had a Spring clean of my wardrobe on Friday which was quite therapeutic

Not much else happening on the 'fabbing' front this weekend - might try & find time to paint my nails this evening.

Have a good week everyone
    • chanie
    • By chanie 12th Mar 17, 7:11 PM
    • 1,509 Posts
    • 6,951 Thanks
    chanie
    maman happy birthday. I hope you had a lovely day and enjoy Prague next week.
    • indiepanda
    • By indiepanda 12th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 5,794 Thanks
    indiepanda
    It's my birthday today. DD has been round for coffee and with lovely Clarins gifts so I won't need to buy perfume for a while. DH and I are going to the cinema this afternoon and then for something to eat so no cooking for me today. Then on Wednesday we're off to Prague which is by way of a birthday treat.
    Originally posted by maman
    Happy birthday Maman, hope you enjoy all your birthday treats.

I have had a great weekend, dinner with a friend I haven't seen for many years on Friday which was long overdue. Started with a hair appointment on Saturday morning and my hair dresser who has known me for 9.5 years said he has never seen me looking so good - nice start to the day! Then lunch with a friend and out for drinks in the evening - although I just had mineral water again. Still enjoyed the dancing and seeing my friends. Didn't stay will the end so was home by midnight. Been at a Ceroc workshop again today - such fun. Got to do a bit of freestyle with the teacher which was brilliant - so much better when you are led by someone who knows what they are doing. Booked for my next one in late April and will do classes in between.

Did a bit of clothes shopping - a top in Oasis which has got some shiny panels that are rose gold-ish (size 14, v. happy) some lovely teal coloured trousers in M&S - slim fit so went for the 16s, although my 16 jeans are getting a bit loose, a red belt strap in Elliot Rhodes and a couple of gold fancy buckles and got my old belts resized as they were getting loose again. Also a pair of very cute rose gold brogues in Dune. If I am going to wear sensible flats to look after my arthritic feet they might as well be shiny ones.

Have a fab week all xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

259Posts Today

1,133Users online

Martin's Twitter