Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    • 2,481Posts
    • 17,330Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017 31st Dec 16 at 10:07 PM
    Time for a new thread for 2017

I loved reading about what everyone was getting up on the 2016 thread and hope that you will join me again in 2017.

With everything else that was going on in the later half of 2016, MMMing went a bit by the wayside but now that me and OH are settled into the new flat, I plan to get properly back into it. So here's to another year of making do, mending and minimising

The 2016 thread can be found here
    And Cheerfulness' original 2015 thread is here

Recipes
    Mincemeat flapjack
    Last edited by misstara; 19-01-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1239.95 (46.2% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £748.10 (6.2% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 0/60
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 0/6, Gym 1/6 Groceries target £38.05/£200. NSD target 5/15.
Page 53
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Dec 17, 8:47 AM
    • 15,607 Posts
    • 127,455 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning all I too will be minimising the presents by wrapping at least half today fingers crossed.

In the mending line I have a big thick cardi that my DD loves ,its old and faded and used indoors when its cold and it has a shawl type collar that has parted company with the neck and she asked my to sew/knit it back on for her,so I will give that a go today.

Making do with some pork fillet that I dug out of the freezer and will dip it in flour ,egg and dried stuffing and roast it with some potatoes and brussels and carrots (the very last of them I really must go shopping tomorrow morning )

The tail end of my rice pud will do for dessert.I have some semolina in the cupboard and I think I shall make up a pint of that and put it on the bottom of the oven when I am doing the fillet and roasties.

That will do for a pudding for several days and I can use some evaporated milk in that as well,with a sprinkle of grated nutmeg on top it will make a change from rice pudding

I have some lentils left in the jar and I think I will make a spicy lentil soup up to use the last of them up. I had a 5 kilo bag I bought about 18 months ago for £2.50 and I have been ploughing through it great value but I don't think I will be buying such a large bag again but the price was brilliant so I have got my value from it I have had lentils in soups ,stews,pate,and to bulk out mince dishes I think I'm all lentilled out now
    I even mixed them into fishcakes with the bread crumbs to use them up.I think it was my bargain of 2016

Hope you all have a good and frugal day

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 7th Dec 17, 8:57 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    crazytree
    Misstara - I hope the dietician sorts you out. It's rotten being poorly at Christmas (and any other time really)
    Slowdown - I was amazed at how old your tree is but then I realised ours is at least 17 years old and arrived with Himself when he moved in! So I'm getting there. I intend to make do with that for a good few years yet.
    Thanx for your lovely comments about the dog Wednesday2000. Rescues are awesome but hard work aren't they? We had to "make do" with blankets instead of a duvet last night when she peed on the bed (for the second time ) I am on the look out for a second duvet. And pledge to keep the bedroom door shut until she's house trained
    I've made do with freezer food for dinners (all planned into the menu - yay me ) and shall make some puddings too.
    Mend - nowt
    Minimised - the heap of unwrapped pressies! Half done yesterday, I shall do the rest hopefully today. I shall minimise Himself's bank account by taking the dog to the v e t.

My friend suggested vinegar as a fabric softener, does anyone here use that? I thought I might give it a try as I'm doing so much washing at the moment!
    Have a great day everyone
    Tx
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Dec 17, 1:18 PM
    • 15,607 Posts
    • 127,455 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi crazytree I have used whitr vinegar for the past 10 years and find it
    A better than using thick condotioner
    B a darned sight cheaper
    C no nasty smells of unpronouncable things that I have never heard of ,Ylang Ylang ???

Cheap as chips to use and leaves no lingering smell on the clothes,I cannot abide the smell of vinegar anyway but it is fine and the washing machine drun is sparkling I also use half liquid/powder detergent and half washing soda and my clothes are all spotless.

My youngest Dd has had four rescue dogs over the years and they have all been amazing animals She has at the moment a little white maltese terrier called Teddy who had been abandoned and locked in a shed and was very poorly.

The rescue folk think he had never been with a family and my DDs lads and her and the family spoil him dreadfully, he is a cute little guy though and adores my DD.

She also has a middle aged Jack Russell b!!!! called Lexi who was at first a bit snooty with Teddy as he was barely a year old and quite lively, but she too has accepted him and they play together very well.

She would bring them all home if she could and loves her dogs, even though at the moment she has to use a crutch to walk she will go with the dogs to the park and sit and watch them as they tear around the grass.

all the veg is prepped for tonights dinner and I am making out my shopping list for tomorrow mornings shop ,the first one this month as I shall be away for a week too-ing and fro-ing between my Dds house my shopping list will be quite small this month.

JackieO x
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 7th Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 52,432 Thanks
    silvasava
    Jackie - how much vinegar do you use? About the same as fabric conditioner? I've used soda crystals in my machine for years as I'm in a hard water area so would be very interested.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • maryb
    • By maryb 7th Dec 17, 4:38 PM
    • 3,448 Posts
    • 41,053 Thanks
    maryb
    I'm going to look out for an artificial tree in the Boxing Day sales. DDs have always insisted on the biggest real tree we could get (and we have tall ceilings) but they will both have moved out by next Christmas. It's not making do but it will minimise the hassle and expense of a tree in future years and by getting it after Christmas hopefully I will minimise the upfront cost
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 7th Dec 17, 5:03 PM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 52,432 Thanks
    silvasava
    MaryB - we bought an artificial tree in a sale -its the right size for our bay window and has pine cones on it. It's now at least 17 years old! Originally it was quite expensive before the sale and as it still looks good we've certainly had our money's worth!
    I used to buy trees with roots and then plant in the garden but hat started to get a bit silly!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Dec 17, 8:26 AM
    • 15,607 Posts
    • 127,455 Thanks
    JackieO
    Jackie - how much vinegar do you use? About the same as fabric conditioner? I've used soda crystals in my machine for years as I'm in a hard water area so would be very interested.
    Originally posted by silvasava
    Yes I have a bit in the drawer where the powder/liquid goes sectioned off for the conditioner and I just squirt some in there from the squeezy bottle that I buy of white vinegar from either tescos or sainsburys its usually in a plastic bottle or if in a glass bottle then a capful from the top of the detergent bottle .Not a whiff of vinegar when the wash is finished and the clothes are fine and soft ,especially the towels then onto the line and job done

JackieO xx
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 8th Dec 17, 8:45 AM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 52,432 Thanks
    silvasava
    Thanks Jackie - I guessed that was what you did but just wanted to be certain. I've got a bottle of cheapie conditioner to use up first so when that's gone I'll be using vinegar.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Dec 17, 8:51 AM
    • 15,607 Posts
    • 127,455 Thanks
    JackieO
    Sorted out DDs thick cosy jumper for her Its not perfect but as its her 'house jumper' for wear only around her draughty house I don't suppose she will mind .

Bit of shopping first thing today, then back home to do some baking ,will warm the kitchen up as well and some nice smells History this afternoon which I always enjoy then home and batten down the hatches because its blooming cold and getting colder later as well.

Making do with fish from the freezer for dinner and minimising some books to the C/S if I have time

Have a good day everyone and keep wrapped up warm

JackieO xxx
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 8th Dec 17, 10:18 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    crazytree
    Thanx JackieO. I shall be giving the vinegar a try too! I normally buy a powder with conditioner in it but it doesn't seem to make anything very soft! And I just wanted to say how nice it is that people like your DD are willing to take these dogs, it is rewarding but sometimes a challenge!!!
    I'm still in my jim jams so all I've done so far is minimise the time left to do anything remotely useful today!
    Have a great day everyone
    Tx
    • maryb
    • By maryb 9th Dec 17, 6:27 PM
    • 3,448 Posts
    • 41,053 Thanks
    maryb
    I was wearing a black jumper today as I was writing my Christmas cards. Very tasteful snowy village scene, National Trust cards.

Only slight problem - they were covered in glitter. And now my black jumper is covered in glitter. If I needed a glittery top for a Christmas party and didn't have one, I know exactly how I would be able to make do !!

Anyone know how to get glitter out of black jumpers?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • elona
    • By elona 9th Dec 17, 7:05 PM
    • 11,305 Posts
    • 60,545 Thanks
    elona
    MaryB

I would wind sticky tape round my fingers and then dab gently at the glitter. It takes quite a bit of sticky tape but it should work.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Dec 17, 1:11 PM
    • 15,607 Posts
    • 127,455 Thanks
    JackieO
    Ah the dreaded glitter stuff, it gets every where doesn't it I agree with the sticky sellotape idea.
    I used to wind some round a empty loo roll cardboard and roll it to pick the darned stuff up when I used to do crafting.

Made do: this morning with last years left over Christmas bags. I was going to go out and buy some more wrapping paper then I found a bag of these Christmas bags in the spare room

Minimised: them for this years presents

Mended a plug that needed a new fuse so feeling quite pleased with myself today

Onwards and upwards chums

JackieO xx
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 10th Dec 17, 5:46 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 4,346 Thanks
    YorksLass
    I was wearing a black jumper today as I was writing my Christmas cards. Very tasteful snowy village scene, National Trust cards.

Only slight problem - they were covered in glitter. And now my black jumper is covered in glitter. If I needed a glittery top for a Christmas party and didn't have one, I know exactly how I would be able to make do !!
    Originally posted by maryb

I like glittery cards but I try not to buy them since I found out our council doesn't want cards with glitter or foil in the recycling bin. Something to do with the contractors who take the council's recycling waste and what their machinery can/can't deal with.

JackieO: I've conquered the mahoosive stocks of pasta, noodles and rice but the packet mixes are a whole different ball game! On the bright side, the ones I have (22 at the last count ) are now nearly all in date, just a couple of OOD part-packets to go. And I'm not buying more, so that has to be a step in the right direction!

MMMing seems to have stalled here for now but quite a bit will be minimised this week once I get the presents wrapped and cards written/posted/hand delivered. And my hair will be minimised on Thursday too.

I'm liking the idea of the 30 items in 30 days challenge and think I'll be giving this a go in the NY. Another NY minimise is going to be cutting our grocery budget by £5 a week. I'm lucky I don't have to do this but I love the challenge of not giving the sms more than I have to.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Dec £0/£160 0/28 NSDs
    Nov -£2.60 Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

1,922Users online

Martin's Twitter