Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    • 2,400Posts
    • 16,658Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017 31st Dec 16 at 10:07 PM
    Time for a new thread for 2017

I loved reading about what everyone was getting up on the 2016 thread and hope that you will join me again in 2017.

With everything else that was going on in the later half of 2016, MMMing went a bit by the wayside but now that me and OH are settled into the new flat, I plan to get properly back into it. So here's to another year of making do, mending and minimising

The 2016 thread can be found here
    And Cheerfulness' original 2015 thread is here

Recipes
    Mincemeat flapjack
    Last edited by misstara; 19-01-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1419.40 (38.4% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 3/8, Gym 1/4. Groceries target £116.40/£150. NSD target 10/20.
Page 46
    • celtic_moon
    • By celtic_moon 5th Oct 17, 6:04 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    celtic_moon
    Ooooopsie!
    Hi All

Managed to completely mess up my MMMing this month

Had a shopping list in my bag for the storecupboard things we buy from a shop we have to make a particular jurney too. So went and got it all and congratulated myself on sticking purely to the list Only to get home to discover I had already done that shop a couple of weeks earlier (must've put the list back in my bag at the checkout)

I now have enough sandwich bags, hair dye, jars of curry sauce, shampoo (no conditioner though!) etc to last until well into the New Year!!!! Budget completely goosed too

I am consoling myself with the fact it will minimise the need to do that trip again and it will even out in my budget in the coming months
    • Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 5th Oct 17, 8:00 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 9,311 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    To darn a hole, stretch it out (not too much) over a darning mushroom (or a small jar, (a pesto jar or a bit bigger, depending on the size of the hole) then cover the hole with parallel lines of thread, running up and down.
    Then fill in by weaving (under, over, under, over) with the thread running to and fro).
    And where it was "under" on the previous row, have an "over" on this one.
    (Does that make sense? - hard to describe!)
    Last edited by Winchelsea; 05-10-2017 at 8:05 PM. Reason: to clarify
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Oct 17, 9:00 AM
    • 15,356 Posts
    • 125,108 Thanks
    JackieO
    Making do :using up more of the odds and ends in my food cupboards,semolina pudding today as I have a lock'n'lock jar that I found in the cupboard which was two thirds full of semolina I shall also use some to make shortbread as well Last of my leek and potato soup for lunch and will make celery soup tomorrow for next weeks lunches as I have almost a head of it in the fridge

Mending : I will sew up the seam on a jumper that has started to come adrift

Minimise: still working on my freezer, but at least I have some 'wriggle room' so it seems to be working ,long slow job though I swear it multiplies in there

Have a good and frugal Friday chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Slowdown
    • By Slowdown 9th Oct 17, 10:08 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 5,114 Thanks
    Slowdown
    Make do - loads of chicken stock from the carcass plus two meals from the meat, jazzed up the left over black beans with onions and spices, left over custard with disastrous cupcakes for dessert

Mend - our own gutters instead of going with the roof man's quote starting on Saturday

Minimise - sold another item on eBay, reduced the ironing pile by actually doing it and minimised the length of the lawn yesterday by a good mowing.

Happy MMMing everyone.
    • Slowdown
    • By Slowdown 9th Oct 17, 10:11 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 5,114 Thanks
    Slowdown
    JackieO - semolina pudding?!?! Haven't had that since the 70s in primary school. What a blast from the past. Preferred it to the frogspawn rice pudding they used to serve
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 9th Oct 17, 10:44 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 3,918 Thanks
    carlislelass
    JackieO - semolina pudding?!?! Haven't had that since the 70s in primary school. What a blast from the past. Preferred it to the frogspawn rice pudding they used to serve
    Originally posted by Slowdown
    We classed Tapioca as "frogspawn"
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 9th Oct 17, 11:03 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 17,435 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Frantic again!
    Evening all

Welcome Slowdown - thought Id seen you before on old style somewhere? This is a great thread -full of ideas! Enjoy! Btw the 'frogspawn pudding was tapioca wasnt it???

Anyhooo am back to the chaos of living in my tiny house with DS1; 'DIL': GDG (20 months); their two large and crazy dogs and me! It is a house full of love with never a dull moment but sometimes I do long for the peace and quiet before they moved in and to watch (undisturbed ) an adult TV programme!

However DS1 has been on holiday this week but living where we do it was a staycation! But 'DIL' s Mum and Nan turned up having booked into a nearby BnB for a surprise visit! Nice people but I thought it a bit rude - first we knew was a phone call when they were 40 mins away on train! Seems they had booked with Monarch and got let down so decided to come here instead! Hence why Ive not had time to think -let alone get on here.

Anyway they went back on Saturday and we just slobbed out! But on Sunday it rained and so DS1 decided to have a tidying fit - which at the end of it has restored my reading/sewing area in the conservatory so they minimised:

Minimised: children's toys that were mostly gifts from her family and noisy! (Its great now we can see whats in her toy box, so can she and she asks for stuff she wants to play with rather than having it all out at once in our small space); clothes that no longer fit the baby/toddler; clothes that no longer fit 'DIL' (shes lost weight - deliberately) ; clothes that no longer fit DS1 (since working at chazzer hes gained upper body mass/muscle due to all the lifting of stuff up and down the stairs!); a carrier bag of my clothes (3 pairs of black 'smart trousers' in a material I dont like and in a style which makes me feel v uncomfortable - why??) And 2 books for the chazzer. Also sold the horrible plastic fire that came with the house on FB local site for £10! Yea!

Make do: tonight I created a quick meal because we didnt have time to wait for a butternut squash to roast (we had planned to have risotto or biryani or over pasta with pine nuts or soup). Gazed into fridge and came up with bacon, onion and garlic sauted together with half a jar of pesto over it and sauted mushrooms on the side (for those that like them) all over pasta. Thus minimised a jar from fridge and ate for nowt. Tomorrow oven will contain apricot filled flapjack (apricots - dried were on offer in L!dil last week); fenel seedy biscuits (as a presy for friend's birthday - they are now borderline diabetic so cant have seedy cake any longer); and said butternut squash - so a full oven is v frugal and making do with only one lot of heat!

Mend - yep found time for that too. Finally started doing surveys so might mend my finances a bit. Going to re apply for the Energy Saving Club offers as the previous one they couldnt do because my gas meter wasnt registered properly! Grrrrr So that will save me more cash. Also mended my plants by giving them a much needed hair cut - am gonna plant out cuttings and see if they ll 'take'

Frugaling onward!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • Slowdown
    • By Slowdown 10th Oct 17, 6:34 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 5,114 Thanks
    Slowdown
    Of course you are so right. Tapioca it was. I think the mushy looking puddings of my childhood have merged into one bowlful of stodge in my mind.
    The dessert I did like was the spotted d!!k type of sponge in big squares with custard. And the pastry based brown caramel looking thing. I'll have to ask my mother-in -law what it was called. She was a dinner lady in the 60s and 70s.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th Oct 17, 10:07 AM
    • 3,188 Posts
    • 50,837 Thanks
    silvasava
    Been away on Hollibobs for two weeks so will try to catch up over the next few days
    Re darning socks - I take a 7 1/2 shoe so I used to poke my toe through ladies socks. I now keep a look out for men's small size as they start from 8! Maybe not pretty but so much more comfortable!
    Last edited by silvasava; 10-10-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Oct 17, 3:22 PM
    • 15,356 Posts
    • 125,108 Thanks
    JackieO
    slowdown was it treacle tart made with pastry and golden syrup and breadcrumbs perhaps a good dollop of gloopy custrd made it a filling pud back then
    • osbornbiscuit
    • By osbornbiscuit 10th Oct 17, 5:49 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    osbornbiscuit
    Hi Everyone
    It seems ages since I posted but I have been busy lurking, full of the lurgy for the last two weeks. Just can't seem to shake it.
    I have been minimising all the junk we seem to gather and it was the charity shops gain. I do try not to favour the one I work in and spread the wealth! I was amazed at the number of boots I had acquired in the last couple of years which absolutely cripple me to walk in. You get to a certain stage in life when comfort wins over fashion every time.
    Have also minimised some of the plants in the garden and pruned back the bushes. Do need to buy some pansies/violas to add that much needed splash of colour.
    Have also minimised the every increasing wool stash by knitting some tiny jackets and hats. I get so much pleasure knitting things that can be done in an evening.
    Managed to mend the bathroom door with a quick spray of wd..
    Found a few bags of meat stuffed at the back of the freezer, luckily they were both lamb so managed a lamb curry padded out with lentils and a curry mix that was only slightly out of date.
    I am even almost ready for that day in December, cards bought last year, got nearly all the presents throughout the year. It must be the first time ever, thank you early retirement that gave me the time and charity shops for the best bargains ever.
    (sorry to gloat but it never ever happens to me)
    • Slowdown
    • By Slowdown 10th Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 5,114 Thanks
    Slowdown
    slowdown was it treacle tart made with pastry and golden syrup and breadcrumbs perhaps a good dollop of gloopy custrd made it a filling pud back then
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I do remember this but it's not the one I'm thinking of. It was a pastry base with a creamy brown filling. It tasted nice but there was never enough of the caramel topping part.

Anyway, on to the MMMing

Make do - really wanted to buy lunch today but made sandwiches and took fruit.

Mend - nothing today.

Minimise- the fat on my thighs with a lovely long walk in the forest with my friend.

Not a lot going on there but still didn't spend a bean. So good news.

Hope everyone's day was sufficiently MMM.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 11th Oct 17, 6:32 AM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 12,394 Thanks
    villagelife
    Slowdown was it Gypsy tart. I think it was mainly in Kent that it was a popular school pudding. It is a pastry tart with boiled condensed milk and very sweet.
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 11th Oct 17, 7:28 AM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 6,021 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    You can still buy Gypsy tart in Kent.I''ve even seen it in supermarkets. It is very very sweet.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Oct 17, 9:32 AM
    • 15,356 Posts
    • 125,108 Thanks
    JackieO
    I'm sure you are right I live in Kent and its often on sale locally I don't like it much myself as its too sweet for me I am more of a berry crumble person and adore lemon meringue pie as well
    • Slowdown
    • By Slowdown 11th Oct 17, 9:49 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 5,114 Thanks
    Slowdown
    Well Gypsy tart sounds like exactly the right thing
    Boiled condensed milk is precisely the taste I remember. Well done for putting me straight on that village life. I wouldn't mind a bit just for old times sake. I might see if I can find a recipe for it. (Or better still get the MIL to make it!)

So today...
    Make do - with leftovers for lunch

Mend - not a thing (again)

Minimise - the paperwork on my desk. Reduced a pile by putting it away in the right places.

Hope you've all had a better day than the weather has.
    • carolbee
    • By carolbee 11th Oct 17, 10:12 PM
    • 963 Posts
    • 6,266 Thanks
    carolbee
    Well Gypsy tart sounds like exactly the right thing
    Boiled condensed milk is precisely the taste I remember. Well done for putting me straight on that village life. I wouldn't mind a bit just for old times sake. I might see if I can find a recipe for it. (Or better still get the MIL to make it!)

So today...
    Make do - with leftovers for lunch

Mend - not a thing (again)

Minimise - the paperwork on my desk. Reduced a pile by putting it away in the right places.

Hope you've all had a better day than the weather has.
    Originally posted by Slowdown
    Gypsy tart is evaporated milk and brown sugar. If you want me to pm you the recipe I'm happy to do so. We used to have it for school dinner!
    Carolbee
    • Slowdown
    • By Slowdown 12th Oct 17, 11:29 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 5,114 Thanks
    Slowdown
    Gypsy tart is evaporated milk and brown sugar. If you want me to pm you the recipe I'm happy to do so. We used to have it for school dinner!
    Originally posted by carolbee
    Oh yes please. I would love to try it. Thanks carolbee.

Last edited by Slowdown; 13-10-2017 at 8:04 AM.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Oct 17, 10:15 AM
    • 15,356 Posts
    • 125,108 Thanks
    JackieO
    Evap milk is a good bit cheaper in Aldi's and lidls if you are making it 45p a tin. My DGS like it but I have never made it as I'm not keen ,but would appreciate the recipe carolbee I use evap milk when making a big rice pud in the slow cooker.

Making do with food from the freezer for the foreseeable as I want to defrost my freezer.

No mending today but I am off to The Big Knit at Rochester Cathedral tomorrow morning and will join in lots of other knitters in making some charity squares for blankets tea ,coffee and biscuits provided Knitting and nattering what could be nicer

Trying to minimise some of my paperbacks to my friends this afternoon I am off to History club and have a few to pass on to others there.

Then a Charity quiz tonight I feel like a mouse on a treadwheel sometimes and this week especially has been quite manic and I have hardly been home at all still I never have time to get bored with life

Have a good weekend chums
    Take care

JackieO xx
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 13th Oct 17, 10:25 AM
    • 25,821 Posts
    • 104,583 Thanks
    candygirl
    Been away on Hollibobs for two weeks so will try to catch up over the next few days
    Re darning socks - I take a 7 1/2 shoe so I used to poke my toe through ladies socks. I now keep a look out for men's small size as they start from 8! Maybe not pretty but so much more comfortable!
    Originally posted by silvasava
    Home bargains do a 3 pack of really fab, black, mens socks for £1.99
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

314Posts Today

3,846Users online

Martin's Twitter