Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    • 2,401Posts
    • 16,662Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017 31st Dec 16 at 10:07 PM
    Time for a new thread for 2017

I loved reading about what everyone was getting up on the 2016 thread and hope that you will join me again in 2017.

With everything else that was going on in the later half of 2016, MMMing went a bit by the wayside but now that me and OH are settled into the new flat, I plan to get properly back into it. So here's to another year of making do, mending and minimising

The 2016 thread can be found here
    And Cheerfulness' original 2015 thread is here

Recipes
    Mincemeat flapjack
    Last edited by misstara; 19-01-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1419.40 (38.4% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 3/8, Gym 1/4. Groceries target £127.46/£150. NSD target 11/20.
Page 45
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 24th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    crazytree
    Nellie, I use Wunderlist too, it's brilliant. Apparently it's being discontinued soon . That'll get me disorganised again .
    Make do - Himself bought a pound of mince for Swedish meatballs for 2 people! So we made do with the same dinner Friday and Saturday. Meant all I had to cook last night was veggies . I do get a bit sick of cooking all the time. Himself is making burgers tonight, gives me a break...
    Mend - can't think of anything since I did the kitchen tiles....
    Minimise - carp in my car, it's been used as a van taking rubble to the tip for the never-likely-to-be-finished front wall knocking down project. So it got nicely hoovered out. Himself put my plastic bits that go round the gear lever and handbrake back together. And I removed his tapes from the door pocket, yes my poor car still has a tape player!!! I don't use it, coz I need to concentrate on my state of new-driver panic .
    Even better I've taken two carrier bags of stuff from the kids rooms to that chazzer. That still leaves a heck of a lot to shift. But I feel pretty good to have started....
    Just got paid so most of the food is new!! Planning to spend as little as possible this month, last month I actually got my target of spending less than £200 on groceries, for the first time ever. Still want to eat nice stuff though.
    Thanx to everyone for inspiration.
    T
    • misstara
    • By misstara 27th Sep 17, 10:53 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 16,662 Thanks
    misstara
    Really haven't posted here for ages, MMMing has slightly fallen to the wayside but trying to get back on track again

So to kick start my MMMing
    - I cooked a piece of ys mackerel that's been in the freezer for ages and made pate from it. Had it for lunch today and there's enough for tomorrow and Friday
    - I collected all the paper from around the house to put into recycling
    - I paired the jam jars we have with their lids (were just all heaped in a basket), my parents will pick these up when they are visiting in a few weeks as they need more jars for hm jam

Hope everyone is well, love reading through what you are all up too. Welcome to any new folk as well
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 3/8, Gym 1/4. Groceries target £127.46/£150. NSD target 11/20.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 28th Sep 17, 12:50 PM
    • 15,365 Posts
    • 125,144 Thanks
    JackieO
    Really haven't posted here for ages, MMMing has slightly fallen to the wayside but trying to get back on track again

So to kick start my MMMing
    - I cooked a piece of ys mackerel that's been in the freezer for ages and made pate from it. Had it for lunch today and there's enough for tomorrow and Friday
    - I collected all the paper from around the house to put into recycling
    - I paired the jam jars we have with their lids (were just all heaped in a basket), my parents will pick these up when they are visiting in a few weeks as they need more jars for hm jam

Hope everyone is well, love reading through what you are all up too. Welcome to any new folk as well
    Originally posted by misstara

I'd love the recipe for the Mackerel Pate as I too have some smoked pepper mackerel in my freezer
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • debtfreeforlife
    • By debtfreeforlife 28th Sep 17, 10:51 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    debtfreeforlife
    Does anyone have any tips for darning socks, please? I have big ol' feet (size 9) which for a woman is one size larger than the standard sock size (size 4-8). So my toes are constantly busting out at the top of my socks, even when the socks themselves are relatively new and good quality. It feels like such a waste to ditch them and buy new, so I want to try darning them.
    GC Oct 17: £137.65/£200
    2017 MFW #130 £6599.86/£250
    • misstara
    • By misstara 28th Sep 17, 11:28 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 16,662 Thanks
    misstara
    I'd love the recipe for the Mackerel Pate as I too have some smoked pepper mackerel in my freezer
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Roughly mash the mackerel, add some cream cheese (I usually add around a third of a standard 200g tub per mackeral) and mix well. Add a dash of lemon juice and some salt and pepper. Very simple but yummy

debtfreeforlife - unfortunately I have never darned socks before so no tips, however, I'm sure someone who knows will be along soon.

On a late shift today so got up fairly early and gave the flat a really good clean. It turned into quite a nice morning so got some clothes out on the line for a couple of hours.

Made some scones to use up some lactofree milk I opened at the start of the week. There's still some left so I'll use it up in porridge tomorrow for breakfast.
    Mini Targets
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 29th Sep 17, 7:35 AM
    • 15,365 Posts
    • 125,144 Thanks
    JackieO
    Thanks misstara I shall be doing that over the weekend I have some sweet chilli cream cheese which is very tasty in the fridge so I may experiment with that.

Re darning sock I have done a good few in my life
    Turn inside out and with the thread/wool run it round the edges very gently pulling so the hole gets smaller and smaller each time then weave it in and out across the hole always gently pulling it and as you do so you will find it gradually disappears. back stitch a couple of stitches and make a knot so it won't come undone again ,turn the sock the right way again and all you will have is a very slight knobbly bit and the hole has vanished.

Failing that find someone over the age of 70 and ask them most women of that age have sewn many sock, and patched up lots of things because of rationing and lack of funds during the 1950s
    Once you have done it once, you will soon get better at it honestly

JackieO xx
    Last edited by JackieO; 30-09-2017 at 6:52 AM.
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 29th Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    crazytree
    Hello everyone!
    Make do - not really coz I've just been paid and done "the big shop"
    Mend - nothing recently but today I've got to alter the chicken run so that the new chooks are separated from the others but can see each other.
    Minimise - finally got another bag of clothes to the charity shop and a few bits on fleabay.

T
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 29th Sep 17, 6:13 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 3,680 Thanks
    YorksLass
    I paired the jam jars we have with their lids (were just all heaped in a basket),
    I keep mine separate, jars in a plastic crate and lids in a mushroom box, but I still need to go through them every so often to pair up - somehow I always seem to end up with mis-matches! One of life's mysteries, I guess - a bit like odd socks!

Does anyone have any tips for darning socks, please? I have big ol' feet (size 9) which for a woman is one size larger than the standard sock size (size 4-8). So my toes are constantly busting out at the top of my socks, even when the socks themselves are relatively new and good quality. It feels like such a waste to ditch them and buy new, so I want to try darning them.
    Originally posted by debtfreeforlife
    Not essential, but a darning mushroom might be useful. Most women would have had one in their sewing box before the days of "not darning" but you could probably still get one in a decent habadashery. Would men's socks work for you? They usually come in bigger sizes than women's and not just in plain black/grey/blue - lots of different colours/patterns etc.

Minimise: Took two bags of clothing to the Sally Army clothing bank today (at last ). Have also sorted out some cotton yarn from my stash that's now being knitted up into a short-sleeved cardigan - denim blue with 3 turqoise stripes around the lower body and sleeves; nice easy TV knitting. DH used to have several part-used body sprays but has slowly been using them up and another one bit the dust this morning.

Make do: The usual with food stocks over this last week including some baking.

Mend: Next year's holiday fund mended boosted today with the surplus left over from Sept's GC.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Oct GC: £200 - £72.51 = £127.49 /8/35 NSDs
    Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• debtfreeforlife
    • By debtfreeforlife 29th Sep 17, 11:10 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    debtfreeforlife
    Re darning sock I have done a good few in my life
    Turn inside out and with the thread/wool run it round the edges very gently pulling so the hole gets smaller and smaller each time then weave it in and out across the hole always gently pulling it and as you do so you will find it gradually disappears. back stitch a couple of stitches and make a knot so it won't come undone again ,turn the sock the right way again and all you will have is a very slight knobbly bit and the hole has vanished.Failing that find someone over the age of 70 and ask them most women of that age have sewn many sock and patched up lots of things because of rationing and lack of funds during the 1950s
    Once yo have done it once you will soon get better at it honestly

JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Thank you so much! I will test it on the pairs I like least and build up to my favourites

YorksLass, I buy them sometimes but also tend to get socks as gifts a lot, probably because everyone knows I always have holes in my socks And those are always women's. And I do find them prettier. Might look out for some fun men's socks though.
    GC Oct 17: £137.65/£200
    2017 MFW #130 £6599.86/£250
    • charlies-aunt
    • By charlies-aunt 30th Sep 17, 7:45 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 13,405 Thanks
    charlies-aunt
    Originally posted by debtfreeforlife

Try buying mens socks instead - there is a good mix of plain classic colours and more funky patterns/colours. Much harder wearing than ladies and they fit great
    The best things in life aren't things

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 1st Oct 17, 9:13 AM
    • 15,365 Posts
    • 125,144 Thanks
    JackieO
    Made the Mackerel pate and it was delicious,highly recommend it for a nice change from just boring plain philly I mixed up some chilli soft cheese and it was very tasty.
    I was given a big bag of fallers from my DDs in-laws tree and spent last night peeling & stewing them in honey and brown sugar and cinnamon . Crumble for DD this afternoon when I go to dinner I think.The rest will be used with plain yogurt for pudding or portioned up and popped into the freezer.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 1st Oct 17, 5:52 PM
    • 3,158 Posts
    • 6,344 Thanks
    jackyann
    I was thinking that you ought to buy men's socks!
    JackieO has explained beautifully - my tip is to buy thread of a similar kind to the sock, and always leave it quite loose as tightens in the wash. If you find it rubs at all, consider darning 'inside out' so the knotand knobbly bits are outside - I always did this for walking socks. You could also think about doing a 'reinforcing darn' before you wear them.

Update on the new handle for my bain marie - OH replaced it, took a bit of care to line it up, but it is fine, so at least it wasn't a daft choice.
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 1st Oct 17, 7:24 PM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 6,021 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    I have bought darning wool from a charity shop-one of the cheaper shops that had lots of bits in baskets. Once I got a ball of grey sock wool for 50p which has been very useful. Or you could ask a friend who knits if they have any oddments. Most knitters hate to throw away small balls of wool-I give mine to a friend who crochets granny squares which she then sews into blankets for a homeless charity.

I darn my walking socks and wear them up around the house in the winter.
    • Slowdown
    • By Slowdown 1st Oct 17, 9:12 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 5,119 Thanks
    Slowdown
    I realise I'm joining a little late here but may I chip in with my MMMing please?
    I have just resigned from my job and will be leaving at Christmas and I don't have another one lined up. I will definitely not be earning the same as I am now so MMM is essential.
    I have already started on this track but have just spotted this thread to keep me on track.
    Make do - I returned a new top today that I know is a bit fancy for me and will not wear it often so will make do with what I have. £30 :-)
    Mend - the zip on my son's jacket this week
    Minimise- ebayed two bits from around the house, threw away/ recycled a drawer full of nonsense

I'm enjoying reading everyone's efforts so thank you.
    • misstara
    • By misstara 2nd Oct 17, 7:51 AM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 16,662 Thanks
    misstara
    Glad you enjoyed the pate JackieO, I'll try it next time with sweet chilli.

Welcome to the thread Slowdown.

Yesterday I tried darning a hole in the toe of a bed sock (inspired by your tips ). It worked very well although have been left with a wee knobbly bit inside the sock so will definitely do what jackyann suggests for next time. Used up some thread from a wee hotel sewing kit I found.

Saturday night we had noodles for tea using up a variety of bottom of the fridge veg and some YS prawns. I also used up a wee soy sauce that I got in a sushi pack. Yesterday was roast beef and I'll make stovies today from the leftovers.

I minimised the ironing pile last night while watching some catch up TV. It was getting a bit out of control so glad to get through it.

Hope everyone has a good Monday
    Last edited by misstara; 02-10-2017 at 7:55 AM.
    Mini Targets
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 2nd Oct 17, 6:11 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 3,680 Thanks
    YorksLass
    I have just resigned from my job and will be leaving at Christmas and I don't have another one lined up. I will definitely not be earning the same as I am now so MMM is essential.
    Originally posted by Slowdown
    Welcome Slowdown. MMM'ing is addictive - over time you'll come to realise just how much "stuff" you have and what you don't really need, not to mention saving cash and satisfaction gained.

I minimised the ironing pile last night while watching some catch up TV. It was getting a bit out of control so glad to get through it.
    Yep, that's on my "to do" list for this week. There's not a huge amount in the basket but it's been hanging around for too long!

Another bag of unwanted/not needed clothes sorted to go to the Sally Army clothing bank tomorrow. That's a category finished with - just need to tackle all the other "stuff"!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

• Slowdown
    • By Slowdown 2nd Oct 17, 10:34 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 5,119 Thanks
    Slowdown
    Hi there,
    Thanks for your welcomes. Much appreciated.

Today was ....
    Make do- with the slightly mushy banana rather than dumping it
    Mend- not today, too busy
    Minimise- my fringe! Cut it myself instead of going to the hairdressers. (Not so straight) I've ignored the rest of my head. Would have had a whole cut if I'd gone to a salon.

• YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 3rd Oct 17, 6:49 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 3,680 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Minimise- my fringe! Cut it myself instead of going to the hairdressers. (Not so straight) I've ignored the rest of my head. Would have had a whole cut if I'd gone to a salon.
    My hair is extremely thick and grows very quickly. I like it in a short "wash & go" style, so I need a cut every 8 weeks to keep it in shape but somehow my fringe seems to grow at a quicker rate than the rest of it! Luckily, my hairdresser kindly trims my fringe for free inbetween cuts so I avoid the wonky look (I do pop some change into their charity tin though).

Half of the ironing minimised today, will do the rest tomorrow.

• Slowdown
    • By Slowdown 3rd Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 5,119 Thanks
    Slowdown
    Hi

Today -

Make do - a small glass of rose wine left over from a while ago rather than opening the red I really wanted.

Now that's dedication to the cause!!!!!
    Last edited by Slowdown; 03-10-2017 at 10:12 PM.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 5th Oct 17, 3:40 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 3,680 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Make do - a small glass of rose wine left over from a while ago rather than opening the red I really wanted. Now that's dedication to the cause!!!!!
    Cheers! (I hope it wasn't too much of a hardship! )

Today's minimise has been bed linen as I know I have far too much, a lot of it not used any more. I got it all out of the linen cupboard and had a sinking feeling of "how on earth is it going to fit back in"? I started by putting back everything I wanted/needed to keep and yes, it did all go back in - phew!

Then I sorted through the rest. I've put some things on one side for DS & DDiL; they're moving house in 3 weeks' time so won't want them yet, but I'll keep them until they're settled in. The rest is bagged up for the CS - an assortment of pillow slips, 2 duvet covers, a candlewick (a bit thin in parts so might only be good for rags), a bed runner and a throw with matching pillow shams.

Second half of ironing still waiting to be done but there's no rush as it's all summer clothing that won't be seeing the light of day for a good while!

Making do, apart from the usual of not wasting any food, has been to retrieve 2 large lidded storage jars I'd put on one side for the CS and I'm now using them for the 3kg red lentils I bought the other week. The plan had been to ask at the local newsagents if they had any large sweetie jars they didn't want but it seems they've moved away from selling loose sweets and now only stock pre-packed bags. Shows how long it is since I bought any sweets!

A little mending of sewing up a loose hem on a skirt. I probably won't be wearing it again until next year when the warmer weather arrives but at least it's done and ready. Next week's mending will be to make some new cushion covers from my fabric stash. The bed linen trawl reminded me there were 2 cushions on the spare bed that would work better in the lounge. They had covers sewn on (no zip fastener so not removable for washing) but I've unpicked those and will make new covers with either zips or an envelope opening.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,001Posts Today

7,962Users online

Martin's Twitter