Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    • 2,461Posts
    • 17,172Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017 31st Dec 16 at 10:07 PM
    Time for a new thread for 2017

I loved reading about what everyone was getting up on the 2016 thread and hope that you will join me again in 2017.

With everything else that was going on in the later half of 2016, MMMing went a bit by the wayside but now that me and OH are settled into the new flat, I plan to get properly back into it. So here's to another year of making do, mending and minimising

The 2016 thread can be found here
    And Cheerfulness' original 2015 thread is here

Recipes
    Mincemeat flapjack
    Last edited by misstara; 19-01-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1349.50 (41.4% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 3/8, Gym 0/4. Groceries target £106.86/£150. NSD target 11/18.
Page 44
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 15th Sep 17, 11:23 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 17,495 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Getting there
    Hiya y'all

Welcome Rosesandrainbows - a friendly thread this one - loads of folks willing to help!!

Well am staying at my friends house and dog sitting at the moment - I need to say that she 'pays' me for this by paying for tickets to the Royal Cornwall show and the petrol and does the driving when we go away! Plus this is a bit of a holiday for me - her quiet and obedient dog is no trouble and living in her peaceful, uncrowded house in a village full of folk who know me, but dont interfere is bliss! So MM&M is even easier!

Make do: I am trying to buy as little as possible without taking the mickey and using up all my friends supplies !! (she left me loads of veg and I can use whatever I like and have strict instructions to eat up her HM frozen lasagne!) Having spent £15 so far I have another 2 days worth of food before I get to the lasagne! Plus treats and good fruit etc! Also I am living out of a suitcase - why oh why have i got so many clothes at home when am managing perfectly well on much less???

Minimise: My stash of scrapbooking stuff - my friend has set up a huge table in her conservatory for me to work on! the stash is going down folks!

Mend: the hood of my waterproof coat - the string of it had slipped round and was threatening to come out. I have had the time to sit and carefully thread it back through. My e-mail account - have had time to go thro and unsubscribe from things!! And get rid of all the rubbish e-mails!

NSDs doing well as am in a village in the middle of nowhere (so peaceful) 10/15 so far this month!
    Nite all!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • Rosesandrainbows
    • By Rosesandrainbows 16th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    Rosesandrainbows
    Thanks for the warm welcome Lynplatinum. It sounds like you're on to a win win with the dog sitting and the show tickets in exchange. I also go to the Cornwall Show and love it. Such a good day out.

I forgot to post yesterday but here are my MM&Ms for the last couple of days.

Make do - I went through all my cupboards and freezer before food shopping yesterday and by making do with the food I already had it meant I only had to buy a few bits and I managed to cut my shopping bill in half

Mend - No mending to be done.

Minimise - I took a bag of clothes to the charity shop and cut up some very old clothes to be used as rags.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 16th Sep 17, 9:28 AM
    • 3,259 Posts
    • 51,952 Thanks
    silvasava
    RnR - one of the first things to help stretch the budget is MAKE A LIST!! and stick to it lol! Although I've left my list on the kitchen table too many times to mention so I've now got in the habit of putting it on my phone.
    Mend - buttons to be moved on a wrap skirt
    Minimise - Electric knife, Julienne slicer and electric bottle opener all to go to CS or Freecycle.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 17th Sep 17, 7:44 AM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 12,867 Thanks
    villagelife
    More minimizing done. Cupboards are starting to be cleared and rubbish thrown and a pile for ebaying and charity shop.
    Taken shoe box to work as someone wanted them for her daughter.

Mended a cardigan. Sewed a button back on.

Made do with food in the house. Using up tinned veg that we had from MIL. Used with fresh and frozen. I won't be buying again but were free to us.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 18th Sep 17, 6:56 AM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 12,867 Thanks
    villagelife
    Feeling pleased with myself as I managed to mend the boiler. I googled the fault code and fixed it.
    Made do with transplanting hardy geraniums being moved from one part of the garden to an area i had minimised the weeds in it.
    Had a bonfire and did burn the perennial weed roots i do have more to do but some done. It also looks better to plant in an area that I have cleared and to do it for free is even better.
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 18th Sep 17, 8:22 AM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 12,841 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    l have lurked here for almost a year, hope you don't mind if l post?
    yesterday l minimised all the ivy that was threatening to invade my neighbours garage, a drawer full of outgrown DGS clothes, to CS bag, mended the gate, and made do with the fence paint l had in the shed, to paint it.
    Today l will minimise the baking tray cupboard! (been putting it off for ages, but now it is in print so l have to do it.)
    Quandry do l CS DGS outgrown school shirts, (minimise) or do l cut off all the buttons and re-use them on the baby jackets and matinee coats l have knitted? (minimise, and make do)
    • missychrissy
    • By missychrissy 18th Sep 17, 12:00 PM
    • 545 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    missychrissy
    I'm 65 and grew up with 'make do and mend brigade' parents. A lot rubbed off on me. I find, like them, that most things have other uses.

I use empty small jars for storing herbs, dried chillies, mixing salad dressings etc.(sauces such as mustard, horseradish etc come in them). I have a selection of larger plastic jars (Aldi fruit came in them) for storing nuts, lentils, barley etc. I also have some large sweet jars, some from a local shop because I asked what they did with them when they were empty and they gave me about 6. These are great for storing pasta and rice. I keep safety pins in an old tobacco tin and buttons in empty sweet tins. I like the plastic mushroom containers of varying sizes. These can be filled with shredded tissue paper and gifts such as toiletries then covered with cellophane and given as gifts. Rolls of tissue paper and cellophane can be bought at outlets like Country Baskets. All containers can be put to some use.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 18th Sep 17, 4:05 PM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 126,488 Thanks
    JackieO
    A lady after my own heart missychrissy, I too find uses for empty tins, boxes jars etc.

My sis in law was hunting for some empty jars as she had got rid of hers earlier this year and someone has just given her a huge bag of green tomatoes.I have found eight in my cupboard and she will pick them up on Wednesday
    I also found a place for a half empty bottle of scotch as I am not keen and it was only sitting in the cupboard, my sis-in-law said she will feed some to a fruit cake.I love to find a good home for odds and ends that I find
    Making do with shopping from the freezer for dinner tonight
    and luckily no mending to do today
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 18th Sep 17, 4:27 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    NelliePie
    RnR - one of the first things to help stretch the budget is MAKE A LIST!! and stick to it lol! Although I've left my list on the kitchen table too many times to mention so I've now got in the habit of putting it on my phone.
    Mend - buttons to be moved on a wrap skirt
    Minimise - Electric knife, Julienne slicer and electric bottle opener all to go to CS or Freecycle.
    Originally posted by silvasava
    Hi SilvaSava
    Have you tried the app 'Wunderlist'? It's a great to do list app. I can have different lists for different things and have different folders too. That may sounds complicated but as we're doing home renovations I have a home renovations folder with a separate to do list for each room; I also have a shopping folder with a list for food and a list for other stuff. I can sync this with my partner so we can both see and edit the lists, assign things for each other to do and add calendar reminders and notes. I'm probably making this sound way more complicated to use than it is but I promise it's so simple to use.
    NP
    When life gives you lemons, find the tequila!
    MFW: FTB June 2017 £144k. Target 128k June 2019
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 19th Sep 17, 4:12 PM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 126,488 Thanks
    JackieO
    Lunch was minimising my left overs , a few left over cooked new potatoes, a few mushrooms some cabbage and sliced sweet chilli halloumi cheese topped off with the tail end of a bottle of sweet chilli sauce drizzled over the cabbage It was very tasty and extremely filling I don't have to cook anything tonight as its Tuesday and quiz night, so I get something there included in the price of the quiz
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 19th Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 4,166 Thanks
    YorksLass
    I also found a place for a half empty bottle of scotch as I am not keen and it was only sitting in the cupboard, my sis-in-law said she will feed some to a fruit cake.
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Mmm, boozy fruit cake - yummy. I usually add brandy to jars of mincemeat for Xmas mince pies but whisky would also work.

Minimise: Seven years ago I inherited loads (and I mean loads!!!) of cleaning stuff from late DFís home and these, added to my own not-insubstantial stock, filled a whole base unit cupboard in the kitchen. Since then, Iíve been plugging away at using them up and am so happy theyíve now been reduced to one small plastic storage crate. When I re-visited the cupboard at the weekend I took out four bottles with ďbitsĒ in; two went in the bin (dried up/very OOD) and the other two are on the counter to remind me to finish them off. Most of what Iíve been using up over the years wonít be replaced and in future Iíll be making do with just a stock of basics.

I also found 15 (yes, 15) old toothbrushes that I keep for cleaning jobs. Put back six and binned the rest.

Failed miserably to minimise my dual-fuel costs; my fixed-price plan finished at the end of August and I havenít been able to find anything cheaper Ė in fact the monthly DD has gone up, but I expected that. Iím hoping when my fuel provider reviews my account in 6-months time Iíll have a refund to come back; lower monthly DDs would be welcome too.

Make Do: The usual using up of food stocks before buying more. That said, Iím now replacing store cupboard items like pulses, flour, oil, dried fruit, nuts, tins of tomatoes etc ready for winter. Iím lucky that I have a small walk-in pantry where I can store these things.

missychrissy: Iíll have to pinch your idea about the sweet jars for storage as Iíve just bought 3kg of red lentils and 5kg of basmati rice and havenít got anything large enough to put them in. Iíll be passing the newsagents on Friday so Iíll bob in and ask them (nicely, of course ) if I could have a couple. A donation to their charity box might help.

Mend: Nothing in particular, but after our recent annual holiday my bank balance could do with a boost! On the bright side, next yearís is already booked and the deposit paid. Of course, the 2018 hotel costs have gone up compared with 2017 (but not excessively) so Iíll be doing my half-yearly budget review at the end of the month to see where I can make some savings. Note: I said "can" not "if"! I do like a challenge.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Nov £141.88/£160 NSDs 14/28
    Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 20th Sep 17, 10:02 AM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 126,488 Thanks
    JackieO
    I shall be minimising my stash of tinned tuna and sweetcorn over the coming weeks I didn't realise how many tins of the flipping stuff I had in stock I bought quite a bit when it was on offer ages ago and stuck them at the back of the cupboard,now its time to use them up as I am minimising my food shopping spending this month (so far managed only one shop but will need to go at some point this week for the second and last shop for September I am hoping it should come in at around £25 odd I have a £60.00 budget for food for September and have only spent around £15 odd so far shopping from my stuff in stock has helped no end.
    Definitely a combination of making do and minimising

No mending to do ,although I do have a couple of things to sand down for repairing out in the conservatory so I may do that today

Onwards and upwards chums

JackieO xx
    • celtic_moon
    • By celtic_moon 20th Sep 17, 12:30 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    celtic_moon
    Helloooo
    Hi all

Not had chance to post for ages but been reading along. Life has been very hectic - MiL had a stroke, my dad deteriorated and died, so everything associated with this has (and still is) taking a lot of time and energy! With running our own business, we are just crazy busy.

However, we have been fairly good at the MMMing still

MiL has finally gotten all of the necessary paperwork plus LPAs sorted so if anything does happen my hubby (only child) will be able to sort things a lot easier - hopefully.

My dad was a big hoarder (a post-war baby so it is quite common) and none of my siblings were interested in his stuff. So, my hubby and I have taken it, sorted through it and then found homes or CS'd the remainder. Our local CS is ecstatic to be getting his tools etc as they run courses and workshops for men with MH issues. Everyone wins!

We have finished our expansion works and trippled the size of our industrial unit. This cost us around £5k in total (most of it the food prep approved stuff) as I managed to skip dive and re-home to us LOADS of stuff we needed

I am minimising lots of my own stuff to the CS too. I have a pile I need to get onto fle@b@y but not having a pc at home isn't helping.....

Starting to run the freezers down in preparation for the Christmas Eve sales. I am the only person I know who does this - everyone else is busy filling them up I still have a duck and a huge turkey crown in the chest freezer from last christmas. They will be defrosted, cooked and portioned into boxes with gravy for the freezer and then my belly!

take care of yourselves
    xxx
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 20th Sep 17, 11:11 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 17,495 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Evening all!

Rosesandrainbows - halving - HALVING your cost of your food shop very very well done mate!

Mrsinvisible - welcome aboard!!! Post whenever you can - its always inspirational to see other folks victories!

Jackie O (im sure you know this but in the nature of a reminder) you can also make brilliant fish cakes using tuna! I cook more than I need of jacket spuds (use the skins for making loaded skins for a lunch and the inside as mash or for making fish cakes) - use the insides instead of mash and then add tuna and flavour with: parsley/lemon juice/ chilli sauce/caynne peper/ cajun spices add a bit of flour to stabilise and then fry. This makes a batch which I then freeze as a ready meal!

Well, my friend's HM lasagne was delicious! Slightly spicy. I need the recipe when she gets back! So I could claim that as minimiseing her freezer as instructed!

Make do: Until today food lasted out of previous budget. Today I made the mistake of 'treating' myself to a ready made meal and desert neither of which were as nice as the concoctions I was creating for myself and were dearer (of course). serve me right - back to inventing tomorrow so I can add to my NSD total - which I find far more exciting and interesting! I did one wash of my clothes in the washing machine on a low wash - hung it in the sunshine to dry and so have 'made do' this week with 9 tops (7 for the week + 2 while the wash was doing+one for any emergency); 2 pairs of jeans; 1 pair of summer cotton trousers and appropriate numbers of underwear and socks. I really have too many clothes at home!!!! there will be minimising done when I get home!!!

Mending none really but hoping I can catch the last of the energy swaps and save monies that way - so could I stretch to 'mending' my bank account???

nite all frugal onward!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 21st Sep 17, 8:28 AM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 126,488 Thanks
    JackieO
    LyneP I did think of fishcakes as it happens, but I am doing my best to 'run' down my freezer so its possible once its been emptied and defrosted thats where some of the tuna will end up I love fishcakes and they are such a quick and easy dish to make and with the spices become very tasty, I sometimes mix a bit of dried sage and onion stuffing mix with the breadcrumbs to liven up the coating as wellTonight I am minimising some chicken from the freezer for dinner and will have the last of the rhubarb for pudding.
    I have managed to make do with stuff I have in stock this week and will hopefully do my last shop of the month on Saturday, it may be a slightly bigger shop as I am improvising with stuff indoors and putting off shopping until I really have to
    No manding though , I suppose knitting some more of my charity blanket doesn't really count

JackieO xx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 21st Sep 17, 7:50 PM
    • 11,129 Posts
    • 153,554 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Mended - He Who Knows who has been poorly all week.

Minimised - My winter wardrobe and took out things donated by DD1 that are now much too big.

Made Do - with bits and pieces from the fridge and store cupboard to make us a large pot of Minestrone Soup for our lunches for the next few days.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 21st Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 3,259 Posts
    • 51,952 Thanks
    silvasava
    Oh Mrs L - do hope HWK is on the mend! That HM minestrone will do him the power of good. Was thinking of you both - how are your moving plans going?
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 21st Sep 17, 8:52 PM
    • 11,129 Posts
    • 153,554 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We viewed a lovely bungalow last weekend and have found two possibly suitable houses to go and see next time we're up with DD1. We're not in a hurry and we're not on the market yet, haven't been valued as we're still sprucing the house up but that will come soon and then we'll know what we CAN look at price wise. Important to get it right as hopefully this will be our last move.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 23rd Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 12,867 Thanks
    villagelife
    I have minimised the weeds in the garden! Also shredded yet more paperwork.

Making do with the veg from the garden. Still have plenty to use and saves on buying any. The apples and pears are now ready to pick. I have to store them. I dehydrated some and it worked well so will do more.

Started mending a hole in the wall. Hole was made by an electrician putting a socket in on the other side - the plaster fell off. I have filled the hole with filler. I will send it down later when dry and then will paint it.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 23rd Sep 17, 1:18 PM
    • 3,235 Posts
    • 6,581 Thanks
    jackyann
    Well, I've mended, somewhat reluctantly. I enjoy cooking and although it's 2 of us mostly, it's a rare week I'm not cooking for others.
    I love my bain marie jug - about 12 years old now - and the handle broke (makes it unusable).Looking for a replacement, I found that they do a replacement handle - it had to come from Germany and cost in total about £10 less than buying another one.
    I have to say that it had better last a good while now!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

373Posts Today

2,674Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin