Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    • 2,459Posts
    • 17,139Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017 31st Dec 16 at 10:07 PM
    Time for a new thread for 2017

I loved reading about what everyone was getting up on the 2016 thread and hope that you will join me again in 2017.

With everything else that was going on in the later half of 2016, MMMing went a bit by the wayside but now that me and OH are settled into the new flat, I plan to get properly back into it. So here's to another year of making do, mending and minimising

The 2016 thread can be found here
    And Cheerfulness' original 2015 thread is here

Recipes
    Mincemeat flapjack
    Last edited by misstara; 19-01-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1349.50 (41.4% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 3/8, Gym 0/4. Groceries target £106.86/£150. NSD target 11/18.
Page 43
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 31st Aug 17, 10:37 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 17,495 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    A busy August!
    Hiya all

Well, as I said we did go up to the free Northampton Umbrella Fair ( a very big thank you to all the volunteers and organisers ) We chose to stay in a Travel Lod!e. We had a family room for me, DS1; DIL; 18 month old + 2 large dogs. V comfy and clean. Fair was great lots of hugs from friends - fantastic poetry and song and storytelling. Really enjoyed it! Then my DIL's mum came down to stay for a week.

Minimising: While up country DIL and DS1 spent time sorting out their lock up (all their stuff is stored there while they are looking for a house near me - long story but through no fault of theirs they lost their house in Nhampton) We got rid of 10 bags of stuff to charity shops/ sold to friend down here who makes costumes/two bags of rubbish which friends up there put out for the bin man. WOW. Once home - [to longer term friends on here - please make sure you are sitting down comfortably] have put 10 things on fleabay 9 of which have sold and I need to pack up and send off tomorrow! Finally also have minimised 2 salt grinders - finally used up after me living here for 18 months and family with me for 9 months! (one was theirs; one was mine)
    Make do: while at Festival we bought most of our food from Aldi and took it on to site. Apart from a Chinese take away (which only cost us £20) and a meal from Buddies for the first night we were there (the nearest take out to the hotel). We came home within the budget we had set which felt great! Once home our guest arrived and meals were planned but once she had left (Tuesday) it was back to meal planning and using up and £35 has paid for all of us for food and cleaning stuffs for the week and we are using up dried goods (still!) for example tonight we had blackberry and apple crumble - foraged blackberries but in the crumble top we had some chopped nuts which DS1 bought down with him when he moved here!
    Mend: does giving the poor car a good old clean count? We did touch up a couple of places where she had been scratched by other people who cant back out of parking spaces!! Grrrrr! (one of them I watched do it and my friend banged on her bonnet to stop the woman! Otherwise shed have taken my whole wing off!) Have also cut up more jeans and ironed the edges over ready to sew onto sofa cushions when I get the chance.

Sorry for long post - in September it will all be much calmer and am looking forward to making some monies on fleabay and creating some space at home and being able to count NDSs again and get on here more
    Frugal onward folks!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 3rd Sep 17, 7:49 AM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 12,853 Thanks
    villagelife
    Have minimised some DVD's and empty cases!
    Have shredded yet more of MIL paperwork. There is still tons more to do.

Made do, yesterday, with food and drink i took to rugby with me. Not buying anything there.

Found a button to see onto a pair of shorts not shown on yet.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 3rd Sep 17, 9:26 AM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 6,637 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Typical! My husband is a lot more hoarder-like than I am and he chose to keep his old stereo instead of getting a new one. I said to him that I bet when he gets it out of storage that it won't even work. He tried to get it to work yesterday and it is broken in some way! It is from the 1990s and is huge, it has been taking up about half a cupboard to store it along with the giant speakers. He now wants to try and fix it rather than buying a new smaller one.

So annoying.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 3rd Sep 17, 9:27 AM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 6,637 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Oops, sorry I clicked on the wrong thread!
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • misstara
    • By misstara 4th Sep 17, 7:31 AM
    • 2,459 Posts
    • 17,139 Thanks
    misstara
    Morning all

Got given some plums so made some plum flapjack. The rest have been stewed and frozen, will use to make crumble in the future.

Minimised the george foreman grill to the bin, it was ancient and so scratched that it didn't clean properly. We barely used it and there is now more room in our tiny kitchen. I'm now trying to persuade OH to part with the microwave as it hardly ever gets used either, however, don't think I'll be successful.

Spent far too much on food last month so trying to minimise our food spends this month and use what is there. Did gammon in the slow cooker yesterday and there's probably enough for another 2 or 3 meals.

Currently headed to work, got my lunch with me so it should be a NSD. Hope everyone has a good day
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1349.50 (41.4% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 3/8, Gym 0/4. Groceries target £106.86/£150. NSD target 11/18.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Sep 17, 8:19 AM
    • 15,511 Posts
    • 126,423 Thanks
    JackieO
    Came home from dinner at DDs last night with some sewing bits (running repairs really) for DD as she doesn't even own a needle (loathes and detests sewing in all forms )
    This morning I will do two repairs on a couple of her jumpers for work, and last night I sewed up DGS Mikeys blazer where the seam by the back of the arms had parted company, so thats my mending sorted for today .

Make Do: I shall be delving into my freezer for tonight's dinner and at the moment I think its likely to be one of the huge chilli burgers that I got reduced to a packet of 4 for 50 p a few weeks ago.I only need one as they are quite big which I will have with salad and a small jacket spud as I don't like burger buns.Fresh fruit for pudding

Minimising : I guess will be the burger from my freezer as I am trying to run down the freezer at the moment and am hoping not to do a great deal of food shopping at all this month,only spent a touch over £15 on Saturday and that included a large box of UHT milk as I was down to my last carton. Belt- tightening measures are in force for September

JackieO x
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • house elf
    • By house elf 4th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 7,966 Thanks
    house elf
    Evening Chaps!

Mend: DH fixed the wardrobe where we keep the coats. The door keeps popping off it's rail.

Make do: Trying to make do with what is in the freezer to create some space, but keep filling the gaps. Made some 'Washing Gloop'. Still making do without having to buy expensive detergents.

Minimise: lot's of minimising.......Sold some things on EBay, and Sent off in the post. Weeded a big area of the garden, and plan to create a Japanese garden. (Very minimalist!). Pruned the Magnolia and the climbing hydrangea, so there is a bit more light into the patio area. Burned some paperwork on the bonfire, so another box emptied. DH taking another box to work for shredding. Emptied the suitcases as soon as we got home from hols. (Very unusual for me).

Back to school.
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 4th Sep 17, 10:54 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 17,495 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Getting back into the groove
    Hiya All

Make do: we had a freezer dive for meals on Sunday - DS1 delighted to find he had pulled out Brajole rather than somat with pasta and a tomato sauce! We had to go to Redruth to collect a parcel sent for DIL (apparently of you by somat in a Wilcos you can send it for free to any Wilco in the country - our nearest is 8 miles away!) DIL wanted llunch out so I had the deal meal: Bacon sani and cuppa tea £2.60! Bargain! (loads of bacon!)

Mend: replaced my cracked row of plugs which had all the computer bits plugged into it with a proper one with a surge protector on it! Also got mended the record of my gas meter! I tried to swap providers to save money as says but the new provider could not find a record of my gas meter! EDF have responsibility for making the national database correct. Spent 4 hours trying to get thro to them so in the end wrote a snotty but polite letter to them giving them 14 days to respond. Got a response within 7 days including over the bank holiday! can now try again to 'mend ' my power costs!

Minimise: Weeds; yet more shredding!; and a jar of stuffing mix from the cupboard (a friend gave us a load in a jar and in a packet!!) by making Itlain style meatballs from some on offer turkey mince and the stuffing mix and extra oregano! Also my stash of cards as we have had some birthdays this week!

aiming for 20/30 NSDs this month! Pleeeese?

PS no flippin sales from flea of bay yet - grumble grumble grumble. Will go and check out what im doing wrong on e-bay thread tomorrow.
    Night all
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 5th Sep 17, 4:09 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    crazytree
    Make do - with chicken bones and sad veg made into soup. The little bit of rhubarb from the garden stretched into a crumble with a tin of peaches for sweetness.
    Mend - sewed the underwire back into yet another bra I seem to be doing this on a regular basis and none of them are that old! At least I can wear that one without getting stabbed.
    Also replaced torn wallpaper in the little lobby near the back door with new. And repainted to match the rest of the walls there with leftover paint. Refreshed the woodwork with a coat of satin wood, also found in the shed! Whole project cost a fiver! Bargain. Unfortunately it makes the kitchen look even tattier in comparison. A new kitchen is out of the question for a good long while .
    Minimise - erm I've started sorting out the kids rooms to get rid of their junk. They left home three years ago! Nothing has actually left the house yet apart from a couple of bags or rubbish but I've made a start....
    Well done everyone
    T
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 5th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 1,595 Posts
    • 3,997 Thanks
    carlislelass
    Make do - with chicken bones and sad veg made into soup. The little bit of rhubarb from the garden stretched into a crumble with a tin of peaches for sweetness.
    Mend - sewed the underwire back into yet another bra I seem to be doing this on a regular basis and none of them are that old! At least I can wear that one without getting stabbed.
    Also replaced torn wallpaper in the little lobby near the back door with new. And repainted to match the rest of the walls there with leftover paint. Refreshed the woodwork with a coat of satin wood, also found in the shed! Whole project cost a fiver! Bargain. Unfortunately it makes the kitchen look even tattier in comparison. A new kitchen is out of the question for a good long while .
    Minimise - erm I've started sorting out the kids rooms to get rid of their junk. They left home three years ago! Nothing has actually left the house yet apart from a couple of bags or rubbish but I've made a start....
    Well done everyone
    T
    Originally posted by crazytree
    Snap! Finally got no3 son to empty a wardrobe, he went 4yrs ago
    • osbornbiscuit
    • By osbornbiscuit 6th Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 606 Thanks
    osbornbiscuit
    Can't believe its September !
    Hi Everyone.
    Feeling a bit sad as it is September and that means a downhill slope towards Chris........... and another year gone. Achievements are small for the last couple of weeks.
    Still mending myself but feeling a bit more ok as the arthritis has been niggly rather than full blown. Also mended a drawer that had been sticking with some wax.
    Minimising loads. Fleabayed another load of clothes that haven't been worn and still with the labels on. I really must stop buying clothes I don't need. Had the roof of garage fixed so cleared the garage of rubbish as the workmen let us keep the skip for a week while me and my neighbour cleared out garages. All that stuff that after 30 odd years still hasn't come in useful has now gone and there is so much more space......
    I sympathise with those whose kids have left home and leave stuff that they promise faithfully to pick up next time. One of mine left and after 7 years came back with the same stuff that went back in the loft. He is hoping to leave soon and can I persuade him to go through the boxes now before his departure..... not a chance ..
    Made a fantastic plum cake that a colleague had recommended. She had loads of spare plums from her trees and so that can count be made and minimised. Am eying up the local apple trees down by the canal. I can feel picking coming on.... Last of the rhubarb has been picked and frozen.
    B&M have the Halloween stuff in already and where I help out the Chris...... cards are on display

Positive thoughts ........
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 7th Sep 17, 10:04 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    crazytree
    Nice to know I'm not the only one living with their children's old tat. Checked with both kids if it's ok to take their carp old clothes to the chazzer. One said "fine" the other wants me to keep them till she comes to sort 'em out. "When are you coming?" I sez. "Dunno it's a bit difficult at the moment....' Meh

Perhaps when / if she comes for C******** day! I get stressed trying to find out where everyone is going to be at That time of year, and it's not the same when the kids aren't little anymore

Not done much mmm-ing. Been at work, but we've been eating the food I prepared on Tuesday and not needed to buy any extras

Have a nice weekend everyone
    T
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Sep 17, 11:19 PM
    • 4,020 Posts
    • 32,850 Thanks
    Floss
    crazytree we now have Chr****** in February so there is no hassle with trains & time off is easier...two sons & one Dil living in different cities plus other family in other places equals chaos in late December
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 12th Sep 17, 6:47 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 4,144 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Hi Yorkslass I thought I was alone in doing small jobs like that. I too sew loops onto tea towels and have hooks in my kitchen to hang them up on.

One of the boys said but Granny the war and rationing has been over for years, and if people didn't throw things away then the economy would suffer as new stuff wouldn't be needed True in one way I suppose), but to waste something just because you need to ensure the economy grows still seems a daft idea , what do you all think ??? JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    We must think along the same lines! I’m very much “a place for everything, everything in its place” kind of person.

Not sure there is an answer to your DGS’s comment about buying new to help the economy grow although it did make me laugh. I agree with you, it’s daft; if something’s still in good nick why get rid of it? And, would you get the same quality now?

Minimise - erm I've started sorting out the kids rooms to get rid of their junk. They left home three years ago! Nothing has actually left the house yet apart from a couple of bags or rubbish but I've made a start.... T
    Originally posted by crazytree
    You're right, under-wired bras seem to part company with the wires very quickly nowadays. I gave up on them ages ago and have gone back to non-wired ones.

Another one here with remnants of kids stuff even though they moved out years ago. I’ve put DS’s books and CDs into a box for him to collect but I don’t think that will happen soon as he and DDiL are moving house (again) at the end of Oct – it’ll probably still be here in the NY.

Minimise: A summer top that just isn’t “me” into the CS bag. A bottle of shower gel we took on holiday – not much in it anyway and it doubled up as shampoo too – empty bottle binned at the hotel. A book I’d put on my “read again before letting go” pile that I took on holiday (yes, it did get read on the couple of wet days we had) and I left it in the hotel lounge for other guests.

Make do: Haven’t yet got my brain back into gear after holidays so meals currently coming from freezer/cupboards – sometimes it helps to have stocks in. Sugar jar topped up with the little sachets you get with tea/coffee from cafes – we did BBEM but needed a drink/snack at lunchtimes; I don’t take sugar in tea at all and DH only has one so we had a stash to bring home. At one time I wouldn’t have dreamed of doing this but now I do. Would you believe 4oz of the stuff? Using up after-sun lotion (will soon be OOD) as a moisturiser.

Mend: Cuff on DH's sweater had a loose thread so I sewed it back before it pulled any further.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Nov £76.60/£160 NSDs 10/28
    Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 12th Sep 17, 11:08 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 17,495 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Doing well with NSDs
    Evening All

Make do: as always with us its on the food front - keeping to meal plans and using up old stocks in cupboards or that others give us! My friend donated some elderly lasagne - of course we could use it up! Also keep on using same t shirts I ve had for years! DIL keeps on buying new to her stuff (by which I mean - from a chazzer) but Im happy with what ive got!
    Mend: covered my falling apart cushions on sofa with more of the denim from old jeans. Altered my bloomin bra straps which keep slipping such that, underneath my t shirt, I get a wardrobe malfunction - the darned straps will not stay shortened! So have tacked them up!
    Minimise: Wel,l Im trying - have stuff on flea bay but no one wants to buy it - will try FB local sites next! Also, as usual trying to minimise me! As am house and dog sitting for my friend am trying a Satavistic diet (one used by yoga devotees - veg + fruit + minimal low GI carbs + some dairy) and yoga exercises + do walking. really enjoying the peace and quiet - my friend kindly put up her camping table in the conservatory and i am minimising my stocks of Scrapbooking paper as I am minimising the stacks of photos by finally getting them into albums!

NSDs so far this month: 8/12 quite proud of this! Tomorrow will be going out with friend's mum for lunch and taking her shopping - so although I only want milk, oatcakes (these form the basis of my breakfasts) and some coconut milk (for a veggie curry) i will still be spending.
    Frugaling onward tho!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Sep 17, 10:43 AM
    • 15,511 Posts
    • 126,423 Thanks
    JackieO
    Make do: Definitely using up stuff already in stock NO shopping for me this week 13th of the month and only spent just over £15 so far .

Mend: will be sewing up some odd bits that need repairing, and a few buttons need sewing back on ,generally hoping to get my repair bag emptied before it gets out of hand .

Minimise: hopefully some of the stuff from my freezer as I want to defrost before Christmas. Trouble is I tend to get odds and ends given to me from my two Dds as they know I will use it up.
    On Sunday my son-in-law gave me a bag of charlotte potato's that they didn't want ,he had bought them, and the boys wern't keen, so almost a kilo of small salad spuds and I already have potato's in stock.

But the older ones I shall peel and mash a few and freeze (blooming freezer will never get emptied ) before they get too sprouty

I have a feeling there are some frozen leeks in the freezer in which case I shall use some of the spuds up with leek and potato soup.

The newer charlotte spuds I shall use up in salads this week. I hate to waste anything if I can help it.

I also think I will poach some pears that I was given and use up the last of the greek yogurt (thats tonights pudding sorted ) and I think I have a recipe for a sort of pear sponge cake (bit like dorset apple cake only use pears instead ) so that will use up some more (I was given some lovely ones from my friends tree ).
    Its juggling stuff around to get it minimised and used up before it goes off

Onwards and upwards chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Rosesandrainbows
    • By Rosesandrainbows 13th Sep 17, 10:52 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    Rosesandrainbows
    Hello everyone, I'm new to this thread and so far have read to page 12 so I have a long way to go. However I wanted to join in straight away as make do, mend and minimise is definitely needed in this household.

So this is what I have done today.

Make do - I have been wanting a new winter water proof coat but the ones I have been looking at have been quite expensive. I have taken a look at the one I have, given myself a good talking too and decided that a new coat is not needed, stuck mine in the washing machine and instantly a bucketful of cash saved

Mend - Mended a hole in a vest top. Although my sewing is not the best this particular top is only to go underneath jumpers etc so no one can see my rubbish sewing anyway!

Minimise - The ironing pile is being minimised this morning. I have also used up a couple of toiletries too and have recycled the packaging where I could.

Not a bad start I suppose and motivated to carry on
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Sep 17, 3:23 PM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 51,796 Thanks
    silvasava
    Hello everyone, I'm new to this thread

Make do - I have been wanting a new winter water proof coat but the ones I have been looking at have been quite expensive. I have taken a look at the one I have, given myself a good talking too and decided that a new coat is not needed, stuck mine in the washing machine and instantly a bucketful of cash saved
    Originally posted by Rosesandrainbows
    RnR - you can buy re-proofing sprays in caravan/outdoor shops - Ive also seen it in Aldi on occasions. May help keep your coat waterproof and you dry!

PS: Welcome to the thread!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Rosesandrainbows
    • By Rosesandrainbows 13th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    Rosesandrainbows
    Good thinking Silvasava. I did wonder wether I might have to spray it once dry. Thanks for the tip.
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 14th Sep 17, 10:34 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    crazytree
    I love your idea of C********* in February, Floss. The only thing to look forward to in February is March, an occasion would be really nice!
    Minimise - I've made zero progress on the clear out, partly laziness, and partly coz I tried to steam clean the tiles in the kitchen and ended up taking some of the paint off. They were tile painted as a temporary "until I can afford a new kitchen" measure when I moved in 17 years ago! I've patched up the paint again, so at least I can keep it clean! But that took more time than the quick clean I had planned!!!
    Making do - with freezer surprise for tea! And using store cupboard bits to make puddings and snacks to take for lunches.
    Mend - the carppy kitchen I suppose!

Well done to all of you who are making progress!
    T
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

868Posts Today

6,572Users online

Martin's Twitter