Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    • 2,458Posts
    • 17,129Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017 31st Dec 16 at 10:07 PM
    Time for a new thread for 2017

I loved reading about what everyone was getting up on the 2016 thread and hope that you will join me again in 2017.

With everything else that was going on in the later half of 2016, MMMing went a bit by the wayside but now that me and OH are settled into the new flat, I plan to get properly back into it. So here's to another year of making do, mending and minimising

The 2016 thread can be found here
    And Cheerfulness' original 2015 thread is here

Recipes
    Mincemeat flapjack
    Last edited by misstara; 19-01-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1349.50 (41.4% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 3/8, Gym 0/4. Groceries target £106.86/£150. NSD target 11/18.
Page 39
    • rosie51
    • By rosie51 14th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    rosie51
    I have recycled a few old tee shirts by cutting them for cleaning cloths and dusters. Hate waste
    No money, no worry. I am alive and that is all that matters

2017 Makes from stash
    7/100
    • misstara
    • By misstara 14th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 17,129 Thanks
    misstara
    (My predictive test decided you were Mustafa - good job I noticed it!)
    Originally posted by silvasava

Haven't really done much MMMing recently, been working heaps so I guess mending our finances

On a day off today so have done 3 loads of washing. All line dried and will shortly be minimising the ironing pile while watching a film.

Tea tonight was chicken salad using lettuce from the garden, very yummy. Made some croutons using the heels of some bread that have been in the freezer a while.

Noticed that the PJs I was planning to put on tonight have a wee hole in the knee so will mend them over the weekend.

Hope everyone has a good weekend
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1349.50 (41.4% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 3/8, Gym 0/4. Groceries target £106.86/£150. NSD target 11/18.
    • Kemiera19
    • By Kemiera19 14th Jul 17, 10:28 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    Kemiera19
    Very pleased with my progress...

Minimised some stuff in the garage, some to bin, some to my brother and some to a 'take to the tip' pile. Want to have a good clear out so I can utilise the space to dry clothes on wet days/in winter so I can minimise the use of the tumble dryer. Previous owners even put a retractable washing line in already so no excuse!

3 items listed so far on Eb@y, I've put it off for ages but using smart phone it's actually so easy so I hope now I've got the ball rolling I'll keep going. How long an auction do people recommend for used items? Is there a consensus that say 7 days is better than 3 days?

Have had three NSD this week and no planned outlay for the weekend. I am very pleased with this - ds2's two year review lasted 15mins rather than the predicted hour so too early to pick up ds1 from preschool so was tempted to nip to the R@nge for a look but thought no I'll only buy stuff I don't need and I want another NSD so we went for a walk instead.

Make do: Kept to meal plan apart from tonight as I had a meeting and OH wouldn't be home in time from work to be with boys so they went to Granny's and had tea there, OH then collected them and was also offered tea so when I got back I made do with cheese on toast and used up the dregs of two pots of chutney languishing in the fridge. We'll have the planned tea for tomorrow night.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
    Last edited by Kemiera19; 14-07-2017 at 10:32 PM.
    • Kemiera19
    • By Kemiera19 15th Jul 17, 7:43 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    Kemiera19
    One item sold on Eb@y already as I made a mistake and offered it as a buy it now for 99p not an auction as intended! Oops! Live and learn - good job I didn't think it would go for much anyway but had hoped for more than 99p
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 15th Jul 17, 8:58 AM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 12,844 Thanks
    villagelife
    Managed some NSD this week mainly due to a bad back!

Caught up with mending. Holes repaired in jumpers, a seam sewed up on a t shirt. A couple of t shirts were made into rags as they were beyond mending.
    Minimised my phone and broadband prices. Reduced by £5 a month. All done online as with painkillers unable to concentrate for long enough to speak to anyone on the phone.
    Managed to use the prepared meals in the freezer so no need to cope with cooking.
    Feeling much better today and reduced painkillers..
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 15th Jul 17, 12:50 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    crazytree
    I've minimised nothing this week. A good friend died suddenly and we have un-minimised our collection of pets by taking in her cat. She ( the cat) is only small but the litter tray, set of bowls etc that came with her seem to be taking over the house! I'm irritated by the extra stuff but the litter tray only has to stay until she's able to be let out (thank goodness). And the important thing is she's settling in really quickly and not intimidated by the other animals.

Making do with a meal plan which should mean I can avoid the shops until payday! So that's good.

Mending. Unblocked the toilet (sorry) with caustic soda. Much cheaper than a plumber! Hoping I'll finally get round to fixing the dog's toys that are leaking stuffing. Perhaps after lunch...

Good to see others doing so well. Lots of eBaying going on. Hopefully I'll feel inspired enough to list some more of my unwanted treasures!

Tx
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 15th Jul 17, 1:03 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 7,811 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Make do:Eating what's left in the cupboards for lunches

Mend:Bi-annual re-sole of my boots

Minimise:Having another go at kondoing some stuff. OH kondoed a load of old paperwork this week!

If u guys want an eye-watering laugh, I just found this "bargain" while scouring the Anthropologie sale - has anyone actually paid £5.5k for this bit of plastic & fishing wire??

https://www.anthropologie.com/en-gb/shop/floral-burst-chandelier-multi?category=sale-home&color=000
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • elona
    • By elona 15th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    • 11,249 Posts
    • 59,958 Thanks
    elona
    Now reduced to £2,179 and only a few left so we will have to get our skates on to snap them up.

Why do I get the feeling that there really must be one born every minute!!!
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 15th Jul 17, 5:57 PM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 51,788 Thanks
    silvasava
    DH got a gippy tummy so I'm armed with bleach, disinfectant, wet wipes etc in the hopes that I don't get it!!
    Only minimising I've done today is to restring a necklace that's been waiting for over 10 years!! Took me all of 10 mins. In my defence M'Lud I wanted some strong thread and couldn't get what I wanted but a friendly fisherman came to my rescue with a couple of yards of heavy nylon fishing line - just the job!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Jul 17, 9:07 PM
    • 15,508 Posts
    • 126,397 Thanks
    JackieO
    Mend , been knitting some more squares for my charity blankets

Making do eating out of the fridge salad and odds and ends surprisingly tasty

Minimising, some books to the cs which I had read.

I decided that I am going to try and minimise a bit more as I seem to have far too much accumulated junk ornaments/books etc. So with luck I am going to aim for at least a black bag full a week for a little while.
    I also have a wardrobe full of clothes that I never seem to wear so I am next week going to be a bit more ruthless and declutter some clobber
    Last edited by JackieO; 16-07-2017 at 8:05 AM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Jul 17, 9:12 PM
    • 11,123 Posts
    • 153,494 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Minimised - some of the courgette mountain by making a pasta dish with them and the surplus are going to the girls on Monday when He Who Knows is moving furniture between their two houses for them.

Make Do - not hungry for food this evening after a relatively inactive day so made do with a low cal hot chocolate instead.

Mend - buttons sewn back onto one of He Who Knows shirts before ironing it.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • house elf
    • By house elf 15th Jul 17, 11:26 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 7,962 Thanks
    house elf
    Evening Peeps!

Make do: Made burgers this evening. (Jamie Oliver 15 minute meals....more like 45!). Used up lots of ends of freezer packs to make a meal.......chips and wedges! 2 nearly empty bags of onion rings etc. Yum!

Mend: finished customising a straw bag to use as a beach bag on hols. Decorated with a flamingo pattern braid and lined using the lining of a Joe Browns coat I sent to the CS.

Minimise: Cut the lining out of a skirt, and cut the top half off a maxi dress to make another skirt. (Two things out of the project pile!). Have to put one of them back into the project pile until It gets re lined!

Probably put stuff under the wrong headings, but I'll get the idea!
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 16th Jul 17, 7:12 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 4,140 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Have been MIA from this thread for quite a while but have been following everyone's posts.

Efforts to declutter the house are continuing and I've been using the kondo method for some things. It does seem to work for me in that once I get categories of things in front of me I can see what I can let go of. Example: skirts - I very rarely wear them now therefore don't need so many. The ones I'm keeping are back in the wardrobe and the ones I'm not keeping are waiting to go to the CS.

Therein lies the problem - getting things out of the house! For now, everything that's going is in the spare bedroom and no, I'm not tempted to drag things back out. If I had a car they'd already be gone but I don't. The plan is to take a couple of carrier bags worth of stuff to the CS each week; I have a choice of 5, all of them in a direction I don't normally go in, it's a good 25min walk - uphill - and I'm no spring chicken so can't carry as much nowadays. But there is method in my madness as it will get me out and about in the fresh air and is good exercise. It just might take me a while!

So far, I've done: clothes, shoes, bags, books, cassette tapes, CDs, vinyl, ornaments and other bric a brac, knitting yarn/patterns and other crafting items, cards and paperwork.

On the mend front, there's a sewing pile that needs tackling not to mention the knitting projects that are finished bar the sewing up. I did one last night so I have a new long gilet for my hols and that's spurring me on to get the others done. Quite a few of them are Xmas pressies so I'll need to get a wriggle on.

Making do has mostly been using up food stocks and that's helping to minimise spending too.

The weather forecast for tomorrow is good so I think I'll begin sorting out the garden. Well, not a garden as such as we live in a ground floor flat but we have a small patio outside with pots on it, hanging baskets on the wall and a small border either side of the patio. It's all been neglected this year (real life and all that) but I'd like to make a start on it before I lose the urge!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Nov £76.60/£160 NSDs 10/28
    Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 16th Jul 17, 7:16 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 3,897 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Evening all

I've only been lurking this year - have posted in last years tread every few months... - but really need to get back into some OS ways... I just came home from a holiday last Sunday and although I didn't had the feeling that I had been shopping constantly I still ended up being slightly overwhelmed with the stuff I brought home... So til my next holidays in two months I will have to watch my spending and will try to stick to essentials.

Make do: I saw a very fancy compost bin lately and decided that I needed it... Justified it with the fact that my compost bin is old, a bit grubby and has a small hole... Well, yesterday morning I gave the bin a proper clean and put some sticky tape round the hole. It is a compost bin after all, I don't need a fancy one as long I have an "unfancy" one that does the job...

Mend: hole in a jumper

Minimise: some messy spots around my flat. Not really throwing much away but a few small bits and bobs are gone and some more are back in their proper place.

@Jackie, I am surprised you still find things to minimise! After all you are a master in only buying things you really need.

@kboss I would not even know what to do with this thing :-)
    Resolution for 2016 "Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 16th Jul 17, 11:06 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 17,495 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    No take aways for us!
    Evening all

Making do: I took DIL and DGD to the beach the other day and we stayed longer than expected. I rang DS1 to say we would be late home and should we pick up some fish and chips on way home. 'No,' he said 'I'll be home before you - I find somat to cook! Let's not shell out for food when we have plenty here'. well, bless him, we got home to a wonderful chick pea curry and rice! (He works - Im semi retired and DIL doesnt work) So, while not on meal plan we still ate from stores! Other than this we are sticking to meal plan which included using up some Dukka I bought DS1 for Christmas which we didnt enjoy much - it had hazel nuts in it and mixed this with some stuffing mix and coated pork loin chops (on offer from L!dil) with a beaten egg and then dipped into the mix and baked in the oven. Have to own up and say that the stuffing mix idea was gained from Jackie O. We roasted some potatoes with it so they got used up before they went off.
    Mend: under my counter tops was a space where the previous occupants of the house had a dishwasher. It was just concrete. I used it to put the rubbish bin in. But stashed behind it was towels for the dog , spare dog bowls etc. But out in the back behind a shed was some of the tiles (limestone) for the floor. I cleaned them up and put them down (not grouted in but at least they look better than the concrete and is easier to clean. In my tenanted house they left a clean and unused large flip flop top bin - which I bought home and gave a good scrub. I have used it for storing said dog towels etc. So all tidier and easier to clean now.
    Minimise: Got rid of old door mat that the dog had thrown up on - could not get the smell out and it only cost £1.99 in the first place! I did try first tho! Also been quite good on the diet so perhaps again i have minimised me (trying to eat mostly protien and veg and a little fruit - less carbs and v little sugar)
    NSDs over past 4 days = 4!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yea!

Re the bits of wire etc making up a chandelier type thing. One word Duchamp (look him up) thats what I think. the daft way the rich spend monies beggars belief - mind you some poorer folk spend their dosh in silly ways too - usually on food or clothes they dont need! I ve done it in my time and thank heavens every day for MSE which taught me better!

Mind you art is very individual - what I love you might hate and visa versa. So each to their own way I suppose!
    Off to bed soon - nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • house elf
    • By house elf 17th Jul 17, 5:58 AM
    • 565 Posts
    • 7,962 Thanks
    house elf
    Morning!

Make do:school Prom tonight. Did not buy anything new. Found a dress in the wardrobe with tags still on! Did my own nails using gel nail kit and led light. (Getting better with practice). Not as if anyone will notice me anyway , but don't want to let the students down!

Mend: weeded a flower bed overgrown with lemon balm and brambles. I can reach more of the washing line now!

Minimise: They said it couldn't be done! ......I have sold the trampoline on EBay!
    Synchro Mums - 'Changing the world one sequin at a time' Lady GaGa
    'We have more in common than that which divides us.' Jo Cox
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Jul 17, 8:50 AM
    • 15,508 Posts
    • 126,397 Thanks
    JackieO
    RicardaRacoon Most of my minimising seems to be an awful lot of paperwork.I swear it multiplies in my study/spare room Plus I used to be an avid boot sale lurker and would buy odds and ends that caught my eye don't go near them now far too much effort for little reward

Although small white knitted wool cardis were usually bought,brought home unpicked ,wool washed and dried and re knitted into my Charity blankets that I make a 20p small cardi is far cheaper than a £2.00 ball of wool Thats proper economy

What I seems to find mostly to de-clutter were odds and ends stuck into drawers to 'save' What for I wonder .I am being quite ruthless now and if its not been used in 6 months its going out Far too much detritus hanging about .I have a friend who is seriously minimalistic she allows absolutely nothing in her house that doesn't have a use or purpose Do I really need all those unwanted large shopping bags ??? no I don't think so so they will be found a new home In my other spare room I found a great stash of left over Christmas wrapping bags that both my Dds had given to me as I think they think because I am frugal in my ways I will try to find a use for them, well I have, they are going to a friend who has a wood burning fire so she can use them for lighting it My minimising is going to be of epic proportions this week Its just gotta go
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • RainbowHippie
    • By RainbowHippie 18th Jul 17, 6:57 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    RainbowHippie
    Hello all, hasn't it been a gorgeous day! Well it has up here (in the North West), hope it's been as nice everywhere! I've been making the most of it out in the garden for the most part.

Welcome Kate and well done on the MMMing you've done already, sounds like you're off to a great start!

Thanks LynP and good point about the definition of NSDs! I think for me it makes sense to include all discretionary spends (including our grocery shop etc) to start with, as it will make me think very carefully about what i'm spending. I'm not going to include direct debits for bills etc, or postage for things i've sold on eb*y (but our local post office is in a shop and i'm terrible for picking up a few bits and pieces every time i go in to post something off, so i'm hoping this will stop me doing that!). I've managed 2 NSDs since Sunday so not doing too badly, but i've spent today on some shopping, and i know i will have at least one more spendy day as an activity i'd planned for today has been rearranged to the weekend!

I've made really good progress with mending this week and have got through most of my sewing pile, very satisfying to finish things and put them back in my wardrobe. Mainly just little things (altering a dress given to me by a friend into a skirt, cutting and binding a top to become a little vest, cutting away some tatty ends of sleeves and adding new cuffs to made what's left a reasonable length), but i also have a couple of OH's old shirts to make into tops for myself which will be a project for tomorrow when the weather is not so nice.

Making do has been a hanging contraption for my tomato plants! I'd read they do well upside-down, so have saved lots of 2l plastic bottles which i've cut in half, pushed the roots of the plants into the bottle through the neck and then filled it up with soil, and hung them upside-down from a hanging basket holder. Although our garden is mostly south-facing we're very short of walls suitable for attaching brackets to, so OH suggested using some old wooden coat-hangers to make the most out of the one that's already up. So we now have a little forest of upside-down tomato plants suspended at all different heights (so hopefully they will all get enough sun and not get too tangled as they grow). Quite pleased with myself to be honest! Now just need to tidy the rest of the garden!!

Minimise - our old fridge-freezer to the tip, sadly it had been very useful in the garage for a couple of years but there was something wrong with the freezer bit and everything we took out recently tasted and smelt horribly chemical-y and went straight in the bin, so it was time for it to go. We will hopefully replace it with a second-hand under-counter type freezer (we didn't really use the fridge bit) so it will take up less space in the garage.

Hope everyone is well, happy MMMing! xx
    • Kemiera19
    • By Kemiera19 19th Jul 17, 12:19 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    Kemiera19
    Thanks for the welcome RainbowHippie, your tomato venture sounds interesting- I hope it works out for you.

Still going great guns over here, our roast chicken on Sunday stretched until last night meaning last nights meal will come again another time. Also made a crumble with some pears which we're going over so minimised some waste there along with 4 brown bananas which went into a cake. Defrosted the freezer at the weekend and had a good sort out so I know exactly where I am.

Another sale on eeebay with a better profit this time, with another three auctions ending at the weekend.

Have had a sort out of some books for the CS along with some videos- do they even still take videos? If not they'll go to the tip.

Managed to clear out the garage enough to get the washing line set up however when I put some clothes on it the line broke so there's a mend for the list! Have certainly minimised the tumble dryer use as more conscious that I was using it too much rather than just on wet days.

Off tho Truro in a minute for dental checks and to have the boys feet measured as I think their shoes are getting too small - there will be nothing minimal about that job!
    • simplelivingcottage
    • By simplelivingcottage 21st Jul 17, 1:48 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    simplelivingcottage
    Hello all,

Finished my dad's Motorbike socks yesterday. He had previously bought them thinking they would be fine but they were to chunky in the foot part, so I made a sock to attach at the bottom with DK wool instead of Chunky. Photo here.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,281Posts Today

7,970Users online

Martin's Twitter