Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    • 2,213Posts
    • 15,390Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017 31st Dec 16 at 10:07 PM
    Time for a new thread for 2017

I loved reading about what everyone was getting up on the 2016 thread and hope that you will join me again in 2017.

With everything else that was going on in the later half of 2016, MMMing went a bit by the wayside but now that me and OH are settled into the new flat, I plan to get properly back into it. So here's to another year of making do, mending and minimising

The 2016 thread can be found here
    And Cheerfulness' original 2015 thread is here

Recipes
    Mincemeat flapjack
    Last edited by misstara; 19-01-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1666.04 (27.6% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - 5/12. Groceries target £104.25/£150. NSD target 11/16.
Page 36
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Jun 17, 8:48 AM
    • 10,435 Posts
    • 145,589 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Minimising I'm currently minimising the whole of our home with a view to a change of location nearer the family. It's amazing what I've squirreled away in lots of places in the 24 years we've lived here and kept 'just in case'. My way of de cluttering is to find 'treasures' in odd places and pull them out into the light on a shelf for a few days I'm finding it much easier to decide what to keep and what to let go by living with them in full view for a while.

Mending not sure if this counts but I'm currently washing the sheepskins we have by our chairs as they've been down a year and have got slightly flattened where our feet rest.

Making do purely food related and finishing off odds and ends in the fridge for my lunch today, it's too warm to cook.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 14th Jun 17, 10:19 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    crazytree
    Bit of a mixture of good and bad. Making do with homemade food instead of going shopping. Made ice cream for puddings. It's tasty but not exactly soft scoop!
    Mended a bra where the underwire came out to stab me. But had to throw another away as I wasn't at home when it attacked me, took the wire out completely and couldn't get it back in.
    Why do bras keep doing this to me?
    Listed a couple of things on eB*y hopefully a little and often approach will work. Coz I keep looking at the heap of stuff I still have to get rid of and feeling pretty overwhelmed!

Bits and pieces from the fridge sounds like a good plan for dinner. I had planned sausage and mash, but right now can't think of anything worse than a gravy dinner. Here in Kent its really hot and sunny.
    • rosie51
    • By rosie51 14th Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    rosie51
    Going to alter a pair of curtains that were passed on to me, not a mark on them. Need a lot taking off them as to long, may do it from the top and resew unpicked curtain tape back on rather then buy new.
    No money, no worry. I am alive and that is all that matters

2017 Makes from stash
    4/100
    • misstara
    • By misstara 14th Jun 17, 10:34 PM
    • 2,213 Posts
    • 15,390 Thanks
    misstara
    Mended a pair of leggings last night that had a small hole in the seam. However they will need replaced soon as they are beginning to become see through.

Not much else to report - lots of things happening in the garden. It's been wet and warm here for the last week so everything is growing quickly. Think we'll get our first lettuce soon
    Mini Targets
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Jun 17, 7:55 AM
    • 10,435 Posts
    • 145,589 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Minimising the towels in the airing cupboard today as most of what we have are 20+ years old and have been dyed twice and are going bald. They will be useful for He Who Knows as dusters/wrapping material for 'fragiles' that need transporting anywhere.

Mending he's painting all the gloss surfaces in the hallway today before new carpets arrive next week.

Making do it's going to be hot, hot, hot today so supper will be from the freezer to cook in the oven so I don't have to be in the kitchen while they cook. Too much in the freezers anyway so good to use some up.

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Jun 17, 8:57 AM
    • 14,763 Posts
    • 118,911 Thanks
    JackieO
    Making do with stuff I got out to eat yesterday from the freezer as I didn't eat it last night.Ham salad for lunch.
    Poppy totals have risen to 125 now I shall keep going until I run out of wool
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • misstara
    • By misstara 16th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    • 2,213 Posts
    • 15,390 Thanks
    misstara
    Upstairs neighbour got to the shared washing line before me this morning and was using 3/4 of it so hung up what I could and made do by pegging the rest of the stuff to the airer and putting it outside. Used some gardening twine to tie the airer to a drainpipe to make sure it didn't blow over. Worked incredibly well, 1st load totally dry. Next load is just about to go out.

Tea tonight for me is ys pollack. I'm going to make a gf batter and shallow fry it. Will also make chips and there's some peas kicking around in the freezer. OH is not keen on fish so he will be having leftover sausage casserole from last night.
    Mini Targets
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Jun 17, 1:23 PM
    • 10,435 Posts
    • 145,589 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Mending, sort of, I machine dyed an existing but faded bedspread a beautiful blue this morning to go in the spare room, came out an absolute treat.

Making do was lunch finishing off soup and the ends of things from the fridge.

Minimising rather than buy a new sofa I'm trying to live with the one we have by covering it with a hand sewn patchwork quilt for a while to see if that does the job.

• culpepper
    • By culpepper 16th Jun 17, 10:44 PM
    • 3,870 Posts
    • 6,859 Thanks
    culpepper
    Hopefully I have mended the printer today. It has those ink catchment pad things in and they needed changing out but its stupid to buy another set when they only need cleaning in plain water. So following a utube video I extracted said pads (ridiculously small)and cleaned them and they are back in but I cant check if it works because the hubs has some how hidden the only cable that fits it (I know it was he because he was using it when it went wrong). At least everything did not get covered in ink. I expect he will produce the cable with a flourish from somewhere mad like his violin case and say 'I would have thought it was obvious I would have put it here'.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 17th Jun 17, 8:32 AM
    • 2,973 Posts
    • 47,403 Thanks
    silvasava
    Culpepoer - A tip I was given was to coil small cables and put them into empty toilet roll inners and write on them what the cable is for. Worked a treat with all the different cables we have from phones, cameras, PC, tablets etc!
    Looking for some living lettuce to plant on - local SM have some but I'm not keen on the selection.
    Finally changed my sitting room cushions for the new ones I'd made (red accessories changed to blue for the summer) I'd found a lovely big vase at the tip for £2 and a large glass dish I'd been given a few years ago blends perfectly. Very happy with the effect.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 19th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    • 3,870 Posts
    • 6,859 Thanks
    culpepper
    Good idea about the cables silvasava :P
    I spent ages looking for them and when OH got home he said 'oh I just take the one out of the scanner and use that'.
    It was a success cleaning out the ink catching thingummy but the printheads were clogged too so I spent a rather watery splashy morning on saturday running them under a stream of warm water from a jug for about half an hour ,with a bucket under so no wasted water , till the water was coming through clear.
    But hooray that worked too so its fixed.
    Good thing those printers have removable washable print heads really.
    We have been making a removable make-do micro camper box for our little van and OH made a new flap down shelf to hold the washing up bowl.
    I got some stick on floor tiles from poundy and spent most of yesterday afternoon cutting them and shaping them to fit around the table support thing. It does look nice now though.
    We've been camping in it a couple of times and keep thinking of little things to improve it.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 21st Jun 17, 6:55 AM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 11,544 Thanks
    villagelife
    Yesterday I made do by using an old but if trellis to temporarily cover a planter in which I had planted salad leaves. This was to stop my neighbours cats.
    Unfortunately still minimizing the water butts with watering the garden. I must buy another couple when I see some on offer.
    • misstara
    • By misstara 21st Jun 17, 7:30 AM
    • 2,213 Posts
    • 15,390 Thanks
    misstara
    Got our first spring onions from the garden so used some in egg fried rice for tea last night. Also put in some chicken leftover from our roast at the weekend. I made stock and then soup which I'll have for lunches this week with cheese scones that I made on Monday.

The lettuce is looking pretty good, think they'll be ready in a week or so. However the herbs don't seem to have grown at all. I think possibly the bit where they've been planted doesn't get enough sun so will try again in a different part of the garden.

Minimised a bag of OH's clothes to the CS on Monday. He's having a big clear out
    Mini Targets
    • Doggylady
    • By Doggylady 21st Jun 17, 10:37 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Doggylady
    Newbie here but long time lurker so please may I join in?

Just minimised my kitchen cupboards so a few bags for the CS later.

Trying to minimise my DHs office so I can see the desk. He piles everything up but insists he knows where everything is. Says the reason he couldn't find the travel insurance documents the other day was obviously because I'd tidied them up ��
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,965Posts Today

8,205Users online

Martin's Twitter