Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    • 2,360Posts
    • 16,349Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017 31st Dec 16 at 10:07 PM
    Time for a new thread for 2017

I loved reading about what everyone was getting up on the 2016 thread and hope that you will join me again in 2017.

With everything else that was going on in the later half of 2016, MMMing went a bit by the wayside but now that me and OH are settled into the new flat, I plan to get properly back into it. So here's to another year of making do, mending and minimising

The 2016 thread can be found here
    And Cheerfulness' original 2015 thread is here

Recipes
    Mincemeat flapjack
    Last edited by misstara; 19-01-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1525.60 (33.7% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 6/8, Gym 1/4. Groceries target £101.46/£150. NSD target 8/18.
Page 36
    • misstara
    • By misstara 14th Jun 17, 10:34 PM
    • 2,360 Posts
    • 16,349 Thanks
    misstara
    Mended a pair of leggings last night that had a small hole in the seam. However they will need replaced soon as they are beginning to become see through.

Not much else to report - lots of things happening in the garden. It's been wet and warm here for the last week so everything is growing quickly. Think we'll get our first lettuce soon
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 6/8, Gym 1/4. Groceries target £101.46/£150. NSD target 8/18.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Jun 17, 7:55 AM
    • 10,927 Posts
    • 151,459 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Minimising the towels in the airing cupboard today as most of what we have are 20+ years old and have been dyed twice and are going bald. They will be useful for He Who Knows as dusters/wrapping material for 'fragiles' that need transporting anywhere.

Mending he's painting all the gloss surfaces in the hallway today before new carpets arrive next week.

Making do it's going to be hot, hot, hot today so supper will be from the freezer to cook in the oven so I don't have to be in the kitchen while they cook. Too much in the freezers anyway so good to use some up.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Jun 17, 8:57 AM
    • 15,255 Posts
    • 123,965 Thanks
    JackieO
    Making do with stuff I got out to eat yesterday from the freezer as I didn't eat it last night.Ham salad for lunch.
    Poppy totals have risen to 125 now I shall keep going until I run out of wool
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • misstara
    • By misstara 16th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    • 2,360 Posts
    • 16,349 Thanks
    misstara
    Upstairs neighbour got to the shared washing line before me this morning and was using 3/4 of it so hung up what I could and made do by pegging the rest of the stuff to the airer and putting it outside. Used some gardening twine to tie the airer to a drainpipe to make sure it didn't blow over. Worked incredibly well, 1st load totally dry. Next load is just about to go out.

Tea tonight for me is ys pollack. I'm going to make a gf batter and shallow fry it. Will also make chips and there's some peas kicking around in the freezer. OH is not keen on fish so he will be having leftover sausage casserole from last night.
    Mini Targets
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Jun 17, 1:23 PM
    • 10,927 Posts
    • 151,459 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Mending, sort of, I machine dyed an existing but faded bedspread a beautiful blue this morning to go in the spare room, came out an absolute treat.

Making do was lunch finishing off soup and the ends of things from the fridge.

Minimising rather than buy a new sofa I'm trying to live with the one we have by covering it with a hand sewn patchwork quilt for a while to see if that does the job.

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 16th Jun 17, 10:44 PM
    • 3,850 Posts
    • 6,975 Thanks
    culpepper
    Hopefully I have mended the printer today. It has those ink catchment pad things in and they needed changing out but its stupid to buy another set when they only need cleaning in plain water. So following a utube video I extracted said pads (ridiculously small)and cleaned them and they are back in but I cant check if it works because the hubs has some how hidden the only cable that fits it (I know it was he because he was using it when it went wrong). At least everything did not get covered in ink. I expect he will produce the cable with a flourish from somewhere mad like his violin case and say 'I would have thought it was obvious I would have put it here'.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 17th Jun 17, 8:32 AM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 50,508 Thanks
    silvasava
    Culpepoer - A tip I was given was to coil small cables and put them into empty toilet roll inners and write on them what the cable is for. Worked a treat with all the different cables we have from phones, cameras, PC, tablets etc!
    Looking for some living lettuce to plant on - local SM have some but I'm not keen on the selection.
    Finally changed my sitting room cushions for the new ones I'd made (red accessories changed to blue for the summer) I'd found a lovely big vase at the tip for £2 and a large glass dish I'd been given a few years ago blends perfectly. Very happy with the effect.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 19th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    • 3,850 Posts
    • 6,975 Thanks
    culpepper
    Good idea about the cables silvasava :P
    I spent ages looking for them and when OH got home he said 'oh I just take the one out of the scanner and use that'.
    It was a success cleaning out the ink catching thingummy but the printheads were clogged too so I spent a rather watery splashy morning on saturday running them under a stream of warm water from a jug for about half an hour ,with a bucket under so no wasted water , till the water was coming through clear.
    But hooray that worked too so its fixed.
    Good thing those printers have removable washable print heads really.
    We have been making a removable make-do micro camper box for our little van and OH made a new flap down shelf to hold the washing up bowl.
    I got some stick on floor tiles from poundy and spent most of yesterday afternoon cutting them and shaping them to fit around the table support thing. It does look nice now though.
    We've been camping in it a couple of times and keep thinking of little things to improve it.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 21st Jun 17, 6:55 AM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 12,197 Thanks
    villagelife
    Yesterday I made do by using an old but if trellis to temporarily cover a planter in which I had planted salad leaves. This was to stop my neighbours cats.
    Unfortunately still minimizing the water butts with watering the garden. I must buy another couple when I see some on offer.
    • misstara
    • By misstara 21st Jun 17, 7:30 AM
    • 2,360 Posts
    • 16,349 Thanks
    misstara
    Got our first spring onions from the garden so used some in egg fried rice for tea last night. Also put in some chicken leftover from our roast at the weekend. I made stock and then soup which I'll have for lunches this week with cheese scones that I made on Monday.

The lettuce is looking pretty good, think they'll be ready in a week or so. However the herbs don't seem to have grown at all. I think possibly the bit where they've been planted doesn't get enough sun so will try again in a different part of the garden.

Minimised a bag of OH's clothes to the CS on Monday. He's having a big clear out
    Mini Targets
    • Doggylady
    • By Doggylady 21st Jun 17, 10:37 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Doggylady
    Newbie here but long time lurker so please may I join in?

Just minimised my kitchen cupboards so a few bags for the CS later.

Trying to minimise my DHs office so I can see the desk. He piles everything up but insists he knows where everything is. Says the reason he couldn't find the travel insurance documents the other day was obviously because I'd tidied them up ��
    • Athome1
    • By Athome1 23rd Jun 17, 12:35 AM
    • 342 Posts
    • 2,313 Thanks
    Athome1
    Welcome Doglady .. I'm a serial lurker too and I enjoy readng the regular contributors.. I suspect there are far more lurkers than posters 😁
    It's nice to belong to a community of like minded folk
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 23rd Jun 17, 6:59 AM
    • 10,927 Posts
    • 151,459 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Making Do - currently have some pans of baby food simmering on the hob for the littlest grandson who comes to visit next week using fruit from the freezer that we grew last year.

Minimising - He Who Knows is sitting at the table shredding newspapers to make paper bricks that we dry in the polytunnel and use as firelighters in the woodstove in the winter.

Mending - Going into town today to buy some buttons to go on a charity shop jacket I found for £2.49, really good quality one just missing the front buttons.

• misstara
    • By misstara 23rd Jun 17, 7:22 AM
    • 2,360 Posts
    • 16,349 Thanks
    misstara
    Welcome to the thread Doggylady

OH continues to minimise stuff so we've another couple of bags to go to the CS. Think the only thing left to go through is an old laundry basket which is stuffed full with things he never wears. Once it's clear, the basket can go to the CS too.

Really need to spend some time over the weekend in the garden, the grass needs cut and the weeds seem to be multiplying daily. I'm off all weekend so will have plenty of time.

We're starting to minimise the contents of the freezer in preparation for defrosting it. It's absolutely rammed full of ys goods so it may take a while!

Hope everyone has a good day
    Mini Targets
    • Doggylady
    • By Doggylady 23rd Jun 17, 9:19 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Doggylady
    Morning all
    Made do and mended my DS2s work trousers. Converted them to shorts and patched a hole in the pocket. (He's a postie and thinks that it is a golden rule that posties wear shorts whatever the whether)

Still trying to minimise the paperwork in DHs office. My shredder is starting to make complaining noises. I hope I don't wear it out completely.

Off into town now to scour the CSs for a sun hat for me. ☺️
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 23rd Jun 17, 11:13 PM
    • 15,255 Posts
    • 123,965 Thanks
    JackieO
    Minimised two car loads of clutter from Dds house this morning.Got the boys to help declutter their bedrooms and the top floor bathroom.You wouldn't believe how many old shoes were found that had been forgotten about and are far too small for any of the boys now.The youngest lad of 13 takes a size 8 already. So a sack went to the recycling box outside our local cobblers, footie boots ,wellies and assorted shoes/trainers but with four growing lads my DDs shoe bill is enormous.
    Her low mileage exercise bike went to the charity shop ,she has no time to use it and the boys are all like bean poles with not a scrap of surplus fat on them So quite a bit went to the CS and the rest to the tip. DD was really pleased as she had been telling the boys it was well past time for a clear out..
    Made do with some bacon wrapped around a chicken breast for dinner tonight and had some chopped apple for pudding.
    No mending but a few more poppies made tonight A productive day all round I think, welcome to the lurkers, let us know what things you do to make do minimise and mend

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 24th Jun 17, 12:01 AM
    • 897 Posts
    • 17,291 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Time Flies!
    Hiya folks

Not been on for a while due to manicness in my place but at mo am doggie and house sitting for a friend who has gone off camping for the first time - do hope the promised storms dont happen while shes out there!! This has given me some space and time to get on to here! However, have been MM&M ing - seems it is now part of my DNA

Minimising: Finally got around to selling some of the rubbish in my place - took an X box driving wheel to a dealer in secondhand stuff like that and, even although it was not complete (had no table clamp) got £13 for it! So that was some space cleared! Woohoooo

Making do: following meal plan and still eating up stuff that my son bought with him (unbelievably - but its cans and soya flakes etc) Also (since had a very expensive month - car tax + insurance + essential gardening work that I couldnt do myself) fancied a cold coffee en route to my friends. Now usually I would 'treat' myself to a Cos!a - which is a treat about once or twice a month but vvv skint so parked up in L!dil and got a chilled coffee for 55p from their chilled section! result

Mending: not sure if this counts but repurposed a table that had been at my mum's house (now used as a rental property - main source of income). I took the castors off it - with my son's help - it has a formica top and so will be ideal for crafting on! nice smooth surface! Also have used two old, unwell nest of tables to put rest of the pots on so hopefully the lavender that was in them might - potentially flower (folks may remember that I have to keep pots out of range of my son's two male dogs ) Have pile of clothes mending to do when I get home - I like sewing as its peaceful but cant do it with the toddler around LOL
    Anyhow hoping to get time when at home to be on here more again. Frugaling onward!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 24th Jun 17, 8:34 AM
    • 10,927 Posts
    • 151,459 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Minimising - spent some of yesterday sorting through yet more of the 'treasures' in the store room and have generated another couple of boxes to go to the next boot fair. I can see some of the floor!!!

Making Do - using home grown produce from in the form of courgettes from the polytunnel and home made pesto with basil from the polytunnel for lunch today (and probably a few more days next week) too rather than let the glut go to waste. Also using last years frozen summer fruits to make compotes for pud to make room for this years which are beginning to ripen now.

Mending - sort of, we have the grandchildren coming for the week and I wanted to make a 'tent for them if this warm weather continues and have made plans to a big old flat double sheet to attach to the garden fence and some poles like a canopy so I'm sewing on ties to achieve this. Having said that it will most likely rain for the entire week!!!

• Doggylady
    • By Doggylady 24th Jun 17, 9:09 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Doggylady
    I will be minimising the huge privet and holly hedge in my front garden today. Just putting it off for a bit longer and having a cuppa.
    Will be making do with what's in the fridge for dinner as I'm determined today will be a nsd.
    Mending pile is empty at the moment but best not to speak too soon.
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 24th Jun 17, 9:54 PM
    • 897 Posts
    • 17,291 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Keep on trying!!
    Evening All

Well, tried minimising today and traipsed a load of bit round Lostwithiel antique dealers today but no one was biting and the chap who was interested in the Ladybird books was off on holiday

Still its a very pretty town with a little river running through it and a cash point! Got some out as I hadnt made any monies but managed to minimise spending on food for the few days I am at my friends by going to Ald! and spending £6.80.

Minimise - well hopefully me! Am trying to keep mostly to proteins and veg with a little fruit and carbs only first thing in the morning. Really need to loose this weight as I have a wardrobe for two women - one my current size and one a size smaller! Plus as I am currently in the 'obese' category I need to be in the 'overweight' category to avoid various illnesses - an elderly chap down the road has just had his second leg off due to diabetes and is too heavy to manouvre himself out of bed and is dependent upon nurses and carers. A dreadful warning to me. Determined now!

Determined to prove that loosing weight does not have to cost a fortune!!! Any suggestions along the high protein/ low carb/low sugar route folks?

Mend - nowt much on this front Im afraid as am at my friend's place - there's a pile of it grown at home!!!
    Frugaling foreward!
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

292Posts Today

2,461Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin