Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    • 2,316Posts
    • 16,082Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017 31st Dec 16 at 10:07 PM
    Time for a new thread for 2017

I loved reading about what everyone was getting up on the 2016 thread and hope that you will join me again in 2017.

With everything else that was going on in the later half of 2016, MMMing went a bit by the wayside but now that me and OH are settled into the new flat, I plan to get properly back into it. So here's to another year of making do, mending and minimising

The 2016 thread can be found here
    And Cheerfulness' original 2015 thread is here

Recipes
    Mincemeat flapjack
    Last edited by misstara; 19-01-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1407.74 (38.9% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - 7/12 Groceries target £141.66/£150. NSD target 10/16.
Page 34
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 18th May 17, 9:20 AM
    • 15,090 Posts
    • 122,367 Thanks
    JackieO
    Minimising my 'Poppie knit' I have done 39 so far only another 61 to go but I am enjoying it
    Making do with a ham salad for dinner tonight with a small jacket spud
    I have a pair of DGS Mikey's trousers to mend this morning as he has split the seam in the crotch, I think its his bike that's doing it The saddles seems a bit ...sharpish he says its like sitting on a knife
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 18th May 17, 10:10 AM
    • 3,102 Posts
    • 49,426 Thanks
    silvasava
    Morning all - just bimbling along here. DGD coming round at lunchtime for me to help her with getting a tax rebate online for her petrol expenses & I'll probably feed her too!
    5 cushion covers done out of 7 - I prefer different fabrics in the same colour tone so have two of one fabric and three of another- need to source a third toning fabric. Luckily I have an outlet near to me that makes curtain & furnishing fabrics for the likes of Harrods etc - can get some really good offcuts or end of line stuff on occasions. So far my 5 cushion covers have cost me under £13.00 and they're 24inches square.
    Out at yoga tonight so DH will be having his usual baked spud with cheese and beans - luckily its his favourite!
    Now the rain has finally stopped need to get out and plant up my two window boxes - I got a dozen pink geraniums in Mr M for £3.00 - will need 8 and the other ones can go in the back garden somewhere. The window cleaner came last week so really need to do the insides but rain forecast for tomorrow so I'll probably do it then.
    Oh what an exciting life I lead
    Have a good day all
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 18th May 17, 9:44 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,800 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Mindful of this thread, I have just obtained another silicone trivet from a silicone square dish that has perished and split after considerable use. It split on the side, so the base was intact. These mats are very useful in the kitchen so might as well have an extra one.
    I don't think I'll replace the dish, I have a similar glass one that doesn't need a baking tray under it to stop it from warping in my hands as it's put in to the oven.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 20th May 17, 11:25 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,800 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Trying not to buy magazines? As well as possibly being able to get them as part of your online local public library membership, there is another way to read without buying.

If anyone else has Amazon Prime, you can now read magazines on your Kindle or Kindle App as part of your perks. I read Good Housekeeping this afternoon. Worked perfectly.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 21st May 17, 7:15 AM
    • 3,730 Posts
    • 29,255 Thanks
    Floss
    Trying not to buy magazines? As well as possibly being able to get them as part of your online local public library membership, there is another way to read without buying.

If anyone else has Amazon Prime, you can now read magazines on your Kindle or Kindle App as part of your perks. I read Good Housekeeping this afternoon. Worked perfectly.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    That is a fab suggestion and works out far cheaper than the subscriptions to 3 magazines that I was about to buy - thank you!
    • misstara
    • By misstara 21st May 17, 10:05 PM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 16,082 Thanks
    misstara
    Hope you've all had a good weekend

I've got a pair of jeans that I'm going to attempt to mend but I fear they may end up in the bin anyway. Well it's definitely worth a try.

The garden is doing well, various things are growing. Although I can't remember where I planted what so it will be pot luck what gets pulled up.

Not much else to report - had a yummy roast beef dinner from the freezer for tea.
    Mini Targets
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 22nd May 17, 8:04 AM
    • 15,090 Posts
    • 122,367 Thanks
    JackieO
    Making do for dinner tonight with left overs from last nights dinner that DD gave me to come home with only got gravy to make as I have a plates of roast lamb and veg etc.

Mending : well not so much mending as making I am now up to 61 of my knitted poppies, only 29 more to go to my total of 100.

Minimised some paperwork that's been cluttering up my desk I can now see the surface at last .

Have a good Monday chums

JackieO xx
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 22nd May 17, 7:35 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,800 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    That is a fab suggestion and works out far cheaper than the subscriptions to 3 magazines that I was about to buy - thank you!
    Originally posted by Floss
    It's been pointed out to me that the magazines may not update every month. Having said that, Prime saves me a small fortune, I rarely pay postage on books or birthday presents.

I've just bought a cookbook that I think will become a real favourite. It's The Savvy Shopper's Cookbook
    This one only uses items that you can buy in discount supermarkets, which is a super idea. No fancy ingredients that you only use once and throw out five years later. No need to go to half a dozen shops to get what you want.
    Some of the ingredients would be expensive - ish if bought from a Big Four supermarket but buy the whole lot in A!di or Lid! and the money you save overall makes it all very affordable.
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 23rd May 17, 9:42 AM
    • 3,845 Posts
    • 6,957 Thanks
    culpepper
    I made box cushions for a camper last week. Its the first time I have made any and they came out all right . I bought continuous zips which come on a roll rather than try to find the right lengths ready made.
    It was a whole day to make the first smallest cushion and then 2 more days to make the rest once I got the hang of it.
    Yesterday I mended the watering cans. The glue gun is so handy for splits and cracks . Both the roses were useless so I pulled them off and cut clear plastic replacements and drilled holes . They don't work any better than any other roses but no worse either and because they are clear, I can see if bits get caught in the holes.
    With all the rain lately, I made a new rain catcher for the greenhouse. This was an old rubber watering can rose without the actual sprinkling bit,a piece of plastic pipe and a bucket. It works quite well. I did it last year on the other side of the greenhouse and linked 2 buckets via tube for overflow so will probably do the same with this one when I can find another big bucket.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 23rd May 17, 2:38 PM
    • 15,090 Posts
    • 122,367 Thanks
    JackieO
    some more poppies knitted this morning total now 69
    • meg72
    • By meg72 23rd May 17, 2:48 PM
    • 4,901 Posts
    • 45,075 Thanks
    meg72
    some more poppies knitted this morning total now 69
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Would love to see a photo of your poppies Jackie.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • janb5
    • By janb5 23rd May 17, 11:32 PM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 6,341 Thanks
    janb5
    [QUOTE=JackieO;72585294]Making do for dinner tonight with left overs from last nights dinner that DD gave me to come home with only got gravy to make as I have a plates of roast lamb and veg etc.

Hi Jackie- when I make gravy I always make too much so freeze small amounts which is good for a meal such as the one you`re having. HTH
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 24th May 17, 9:02 AM
    • 15,090 Posts
    • 122,367 Thanks
    JackieO
    janb5 I do as well as gravy will freeze very well in an ice cube tray and a couple of cubes do me very well once zapped in the m'wave

I will put a photo on my f/b page when they are all done Dunno how to post one on here Up to 70 now and some one gave me some more buttons last night at the pub so I am going to keep going until all the buttons are used up I think I have about 120 odd in a bag at the moment so extra poppies will be made
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 24th May 17, 10:46 AM
    • 3,102 Posts
    • 49,426 Thanks
    silvasava
    Lost my post yesterday & didn't realize

Mend: DS2's new trousers taken in at the waist (minimise?) my denim jacket had a small tear so that's been mended. 2 dresses pinned ready to alter.
    Minimise: Sorted out my cupboard of washing liquids, stain removers etc & found 2 dylon dyes that have been there for years- gone on freecycle.
    Make do: DH's trike is back on the road so went for a lovely run with him - had a brekky in a beachside cafe,both of us were still full so only had cheese on toast for tea!
    Small list of jobs today - DH is digging up the spanish bluebells that spread like wildfire - tbh it probably wont make a lot of difference 'cos all the babies will be up next year!
    Some food shopping to do - I have a list, and I need to do a thorough house clean as I've got visitors in 2 weeks. It wont take me long but need to make up beds etc. I feel another list coming on!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 25th May 17, 3:02 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 44,800 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    My stock of cleaning products is slowly going down on the minimising front. I'm not buying kitchen and bathroom sprays but refilling those I have with diluted foam cleaners and these seem to be working okay. I still have loads of these. I was sent bottles to trial, and have large quantities left.

Bought a new coffee frother that actually works prooerly and made myself throw out the old one that worked when it felt like it. I took the batteries out of the old one of course.
    These frothers save me a little money as they mix sweetener properly in to teas and coffees, meaning that one does the work of two. They are also fun to use. I use rechargeable batteries with these, of course. It has rechargeable batteries.

Am@zon Prime delivery with this, so took advantage of a good price to have it here within 18 hours or so of ordering.
    • CAZBEAR
    • By CAZBEAR 26th May 17, 8:44 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 681 Thanks
    CAZBEAR
    hi, just popped in to boast about mending (sort of!) a large glass jar solar lantern that had stopped glowing.....I think the bulb gave out.I bought a 99p solar bulb shaped like a light bulb, stood it in glass inside the lantern and hey presto, my lanten glows in the dark again !! Very happy as it is very decorative and too nice to throw away !!
    Have a good weekend everyone !!
    Best headline ever on local paper??

"Weight loss group doubles in size"
    • Athome1
    • By Athome1 28th May 17, 8:09 AM
    • 342 Posts
    • 2,313 Thanks
    Athome1
    What a clever idea Cazbear!👍
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 1st Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    • 15,264 Posts
    • 195,222 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Sorry I've not been in for ages, it's half term so I'm catching up

THis is a pair of my sons jeans they are his favourites and we're starting to get very threadbare as you can see, I jokingly said I would patch them if he was desperate to keep them, they keep turning up on the mending pile and he's been asked several time where he bought them.
    They've just had some more added to them
    grocery challenge August budget £400 spent £
    SPC~10 No100 : : X4 £2,700o/t fund so far
    read your books challenge-currently on the Kings curse
    xstitch challenge 63 Celtic Christmas
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
    • misstara
    • By misstara 3rd Jun 17, 7:55 AM
    • 2,316 Posts
    • 16,082 Thanks
    misstara
    mrs-moneypenny - your son's jeans look fab

I've not long returned from a weeks holiday staying with my mum and dad. Dad loves gardening so I got a few tips from him. I've returned home with lots of homemade jams and chutneys which is lovely. I also picked up a throat infection which is not so lovely

Managed to find my two summer jackets before I went away. They were in with some of OH's stuff.

Not much else to report, just trying to mend me at the moment .
    Mini Targets
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 5th Jun 17, 4:08 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 17,092 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Dream Achieved!
    Hiya All

Well, its a year today that I moved into my forever home in my dream location in wonderful Cornwall. Yes it is persissting down with rain but I have a smile on my face as I sit here typing in my conservatory. Yesterday I went on an Age UK trip with an older friend of mine to Polperro - very pretty full of lovely eateries and art galleries but a steeeep hill to climb up out of the valley (which I am trying to kid myself will work off the calories of a a large roast lamb dinner and ice creams later on!) On the way home I just looked at the fantastic sea views and thanked my lucky stars and MSE and my MSE friends and Martin for getting me here. Without their moneysaving ideas and support I would not have made it!

Anyhoo - havent been on here as was off again this time to Bedfordshire to a friend's birthday, followed by a wedding of another friend - plus staying with another friend in between who has just got his own place! I did spend out though on beer (first set of friends are beer drinkers and live distressingly close to a really really good pub - since I was staying with them I felt I had to shout my round) and on food (I took my other friend out for a couple of meals) also my son (DS2)came up from Hastings and I was able to take him out to Waggamama forhis birthday which was lovely! Plus the cost of petrol of course! (about 80 pounds up and down adn then another 40 or so running about!)

So in the MM&M spirit, I need to cut back so am trying for as many NSDs as possible and to sell carp I have found since the move! I have no excuses now as DIL and DS1 and DG + woofs have settled into a routine here and DIL has offered to help with posting onto fleebay as my patience with their rituals is minimal!

So will be going Wednesday to Wednesday. Thus far since my return on last Tues eve I have had: Wed; Sat and today as NSDs (in my strictest times I only spent one or two days per week). However, I shall spend tomorrow but that is going to be an allowed spend of 5 pounds for my yoga class.

Making do - still following the meal planning and providing food and cleaning products for 3 adults + a 16 month old (who eats like most 4 year olds) and two very large dogs for 4ish pound a week. Bless Lidil!!
    DIL making presents out of shells, stones some beads bought in a chazzer and a bit of superglue and thread (clever girl)

Minimising - another book and DS1's old jacket went to charity shop. Loads of old blankets and towels went to doggie and moggie rescue place (donated to me by friends). Getting down stash of food that only took a year to build up!

Mending - none yet this week but have a lovely pair of trousers that I bought last year and am going to Royal Cornwall show for free with a friend (her partner is part of the farming community and so he gets several free tickets). If the weather is good said trousers would be ideal so need to get out the needle and thread........

Frugal onward freinds
    Aim for July 17: 22/31 days to be NSDs
    Actual NSDs for July 23/31
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,520Posts Today

9,129Users online

Martin's Twitter