Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    • 2,168Posts
    • 15,080Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017 31st Dec 16 at 10:07 PM
    Time for a new thread for 2017

I loved reading about what everyone was getting up on the 2016 thread and hope that you will join me again in 2017.

With everything else that was going on in the later half of 2016, MMMing went a bit by the wayside but now that me and OH are settled into the new flat, I plan to get properly back into it. So here's to another year of making do, mending and minimising

The 2016 thread can be found here
    And Cheerfulness' original 2015 thread is here

Recipes
    Mincemeat flapjack
    Last edited by misstara; 19-01-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 10458.09 Now 190.42 (98.2% paid)
    New flat debt Jan 2017 2302.75 Now 1758.22 (23.6% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - 7/12. Groceries target 147.84/150. NSD target 13/16.
Page 34
    • affordmylife
    • By affordmylife 15th May 17, 11:21 AM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    affordmylife
    Morning everyone

Chickens are out. Washing machine is on. Goulash in the slow cooker. All going well here.

Just been offered baby ducks!!!! Omg the mess !!!!

Off to deposit in the charity shop soon. Ironing and tidying this afternoon. All fun here x
    4,000 personal debt

0/4,000 0% paid off
    • affordmylife
    • By affordmylife 15th May 17, 2:53 PM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    affordmylife
    I hadn't set myself a budget of 200 this month for food. How silly was I. We're up to 282.88 already x
    4,000 personal debt

0/4,000 0% paid off
    • osbornbiscuit
    • By osbornbiscuit 15th May 17, 6:25 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    osbornbiscuit
    Evening everyone
    Hi
    Well it hasn't stopped raining up north but it saves on me watering the garden (does that count!).
    Have managed to minimise some more books to the charity shop along with winter clothes that are past their best. Unfortunately I managed to come out with a Per Una posh dress and a floaty Per Una skirt that were a bargain. I just need to get out more......
    Minimised more wool for preemies, still on the 4 ply.......will it never end.
    I never buy doggie poo bags. I find nappy sacks are cheaper and just as good for my yorkie.
    Oh I have also put a load of stuff on flebay so hopefully should be in profit.
    My aim now the 'nice' weather is here is 4 no spend days per week which for me is a challenge.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 18th May 17, 9:20 AM
    • 14,766 Posts
    • 117,405 Thanks
    JackieO
    Minimising my 'Poppie knit' I have done 39 so far only another 61 to go but I am enjoying it
    Making do with a ham salad for dinner tonight with a small jacket spud
    I have a pair of DGS Mikey's trousers to mend this morning as he has split the seam in the crotch, I think its his bike that's doing it The saddles seems a bit ...sharpish he says its like sitting on a knife
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    New food budget 60.00 for May First shop of the month 6/5/17 17.56 Balance 42.44 in food budget purse last shop of the month and have 15.59 left in food budget purse, used up my W'rose vouchers
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 18th May 17, 10:10 AM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 46,669 Thanks
    silvasava
    Morning all - just bimbling along here. DGD coming round at lunchtime for me to help her with getting a tax rebate online for her petrol expenses & I'll probably feed her too!
    5 cushion covers done out of 7 - I prefer different fabrics in the same colour tone so have two of one fabric and three of another- need to source a third toning fabric. Luckily I have an outlet near to me that makes curtain & furnishing fabrics for the likes of Harrods etc - can get some really good offcuts or end of line stuff on occasions. So far my 5 cushion covers have cost me under 13.00 and they're 24inches square.
    Out at yoga tonight so DH will be having his usual baked spud with cheese and beans - luckily its his favourite!
    Now the rain has finally stopped need to get out and plant up my two window boxes - I got a dozen pink geraniums in Mr M for 3.00 - will need 8 and the other ones can go in the back garden somewhere. The window cleaner came last week so really need to do the insides but rain forecast for tomorrow so I'll probably do it then.
    Oh what an exciting life I lead
    Have a good day all
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 18th May 17, 9:44 PM
    • 4,660 Posts
    • 44,179 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Mindful of this thread, I have just obtained another silicone trivet from a silicone square dish that has perished and split after considerable use. It split on the side, so the base was intact. These mats are very useful in the kitchen so might as well have an extra one.
    I don't think I'll replace the dish, I have a similar glass one that doesn't need a baking tray under it to stop it from warping in my hands as it's put in to the oven.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 20th May 17, 11:25 PM
    • 4,660 Posts
    • 44,179 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Trying not to buy magazines? As well as possibly being able to get them as part of your online local public library membership, there is another way to read without buying.

If anyone else has Amazon Prime, you can now read magazines on your Kindle or Kindle App as part of your perks. I read Good Housekeeping this afternoon. Worked perfectly.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 21st May 17, 7:15 AM
    • 3,522 Posts
    • 26,582 Thanks
    Floss
    Trying not to buy magazines? As well as possibly being able to get them as part of your online local public library membership, there is another way to read without buying.

If anyone else has Amazon Prime, you can now read magazines on your Kindle or Kindle App as part of your perks. I read Good Housekeeping this afternoon. Worked perfectly.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    That is a fab suggestion and works out far cheaper than the subscriptions to 3 magazines that I was about to buy - thank you!
    • misstara
    • By misstara 21st May 17, 10:05 PM
    • 2,168 Posts
    • 15,080 Thanks
    misstara
    Hope you've all had a good weekend

I've got a pair of jeans that I'm going to attempt to mend but I fear they may end up in the bin anyway. Well it's definitely worth a try.

The garden is doing well, various things are growing. Although I can't remember where I planted what so it will be pot luck what gets pulled up.

Not much else to report - had a yummy roast beef dinner from the freezer for tea.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 10458.09 Now 190.42 (98.2% paid)
    New flat debt Jan 2017 2302.75 Now 1758.22 (23.6% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - 7/12. Groceries target 147.84/150. NSD target 13/16.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 22nd May 17, 8:04 AM
    • 14,766 Posts
    • 117,405 Thanks
    JackieO
    Making do for dinner tonight with left overs from last nights dinner that DD gave me to come home with only got gravy to make as I have a plates of roast lamb and veg etc.

Mending : well not so much mending as making I am now up to 61 of my knitted poppies, only 29 more to go to my total of 100.

Minimised some paperwork that's been cluttering up my desk I can now see the surface at last .

Have a good Monday chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    New food budget 60.00 for May First shop of the month 6/5/17 17.56 Balance 42.44 in food budget purse last shop of the month and have 15.59 left in food budget purse, used up my W'rose vouchers
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,219Posts Today

8,622Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin