Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    • 2,222Posts
    • 15,460Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017 31st Dec 16 at 10:07 PM
    Time for a new thread for 2017

I loved reading about what everyone was getting up on the 2016 thread and hope that you will join me again in 2017.

With everything else that was going on in the later half of 2016, MMMing went a bit by the wayside but now that me and OH are settled into the new flat, I plan to get properly back into it. So here's to another year of making do, mending and minimising

The 2016 thread can be found here
    And Cheerfulness' original 2015 thread is here

Recipes
    Mincemeat flapjack
    Last edited by misstara; 19-01-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1663.51 (27.7% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - 6/12. Groceries target £142.56/£150. NSD target 14/16.
Page 30
    • dND
    • By dND 11th Apr 17, 9:33 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 5,623 Thanks
    dND
    DND, very interesting you mentioning dairy-related sinus problems. beginning to suspect i may have something similar and this has made me think! Surprised by how many people have commented they are also dairy free!
    Originally posted by RainbowHippie
    I have a pet theory about the growth in 'intolerances' I put it down to the overloads we consume in the prepared food we buy these days. Salt, sugar, flour and dairy derivatives in dishes you wouldn't put them in yourself and added to give bulk or a 'standardised' taste.

Once I got the dairy under control and back to what I feel is manageable requiring only the occasional decongestant if I've over indulged, I've discovered a slight reaction to pollen. I think that the severity of my sinus problem was the sum of lots of small reactions. By cooking myself or reading packets carefully it is as I said manageable without having to go cold turkey on anything

I also wonder if the rise of candida is linked to the Chorleywood process of making bread - in order to speed the process of bread-making to just one rising, much more yeast is added than would be used in traditional baking - and I think it may be the same with bread-making machines.

Well that's my conspiracy theory for the week

JackieO I have this recipe for peanut butter cookies - I rarely make them because I eat them in a sitting, it's that irresistible mix of fat and sugar!

100g butter
    120g peanut butter
    100g granulated sugar
    100g brown sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp vanilla essence
    160g plain flour
    3/4 tsp bi-carb
    1/4 tsp salt

1. Cream the butters and the sugars together.
    2. Mix in the egg and the vanilla
    3. Sift together the flour, salt and bi-carb and mix into the creamed mixture.
    4. Make into small balls, (size depends on the size of cookie you want), roll in a bit of granulated sugar and place on an ungreased baking tray reasonably apart as they spread.
    5. Flatten each ball a bit, I find that the base of a wine glass gives a good shape.
    6. Bake at 375F, gas 5, 160C fan oven, for 10 - 12 mins.
    7. Allow to cool and firm up a bit before lifting off the tray.
    Enjoy

Happy MMMing to all
    Save
    Save

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Apr 17, 11:18 AM
    • 14,785 Posts
    • 119,226 Thanks
    JackieO
    dND what a good idea about the base of a wineglass,thanks for the recipe I shall give it a go even though it looks calorific, a treat now and again won't hurt Life's too short to miss the occasional treat
    I must admit since no longer eating bread (almost two years now ) I have seemed to have less snuffly colds and feel a lot better for it, I also only use UHT milk which I changed at the same time from fresh milk. I eat cracker breads or ryvita's which seem to agree with me better.

My youngest DD never had a problem with pollen until she was five and we moved to live virtually on a golf course, and from then on she has suffered with hayfever during the grass cutting season(now she's 48 ) I do feel for folk with pollen allergies as its miserable in the summer for them.One of my DGS has it, but when we are at the coast /beach etc it dries up completely so obviously it seems to be pollutants in the air.

not much MMMing today as I'm at DDs looking after three of my DGS, although the youngest Mikey has just cooked a nice batch of cakes which we will ice shortly.

JackieO x
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 11th Apr 17, 1:07 PM
    • 3,869 Posts
    • 6,867 Thanks
    culpepper
    Just popped in to say a lot of the seeds I sowed have actually germinated! Some are quite old (2007). Those that didn't were cucumber,rhubarb and runner bean.
    Am busy today making a new coldframe.I have a biggish sheet of rough chip board which I have cut up and screwed together. Just need to paint it and make a lid.
    Regarding the dairy intolerance...I have to read every label . There was even milk in the Turkey I bought for Christmas 2015 from sains.
    I take a daily amount of turmeric which is very effective for me at keeping the sinuses in check but cant recommend it to all as am not a doctor or anything and some people can have reactions to it.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 11th Apr 17, 3:43 PM
    • 2,979 Posts
    • 47,508 Thanks
    silvasava
    Afternoon All.
    Like a lot of you I've been spending time in the garden. Patio swept and power washed - its drying off now so I've put the garden furniture back. We have some garden furniture that we've had for years that needed some TLC but would be very time consuming. Its also very heavy so I suggested to DH would he prefer to replace it rather than spend time sanding and painting - he's decided it can go and its being collected this afternoon - a very large minimise for us.
    There is a small gap on our boundary fence where an old plum tree is on the border. My neighbour has a bit of old fencing on his side of the gap so I've potted a spare conifer (Lombardy type) and put it in front to make it look a bit more tidy. I've also managed to save about half a dozen geraniums from last year so I've tidied off the dead bits and put them in the sunshine to bush out a bit ready to go in my planters.
    Don't think I've mended anything although DGD brought me a pair of trousers to shorten for her by Sunday when she goes on holiday - I've added them to the little pile.....

Culpepper - I'm very interested in using Turmeric as DH has arthritis in his hands and apparently its a very good anti-inflamatory. I'd like to try it but dont know if there is a recommended amount to use daily - a teaspoon/tablespoon?? Do you know of a website with information?
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 11th Apr 17, 5:57 PM
    • 3,869 Posts
    • 6,867 Thanks
    culpepper

Culpepper - I'm very interested in using Turmeric as DH has arthritis in his hands and apparently its a very good anti-inflamatory. I'd like to try it but dont know if there is a recommended amount to use daily - a teaspoon/tablespoon?? Do you know of a website with information?
    Originally posted by silvasava
    I would suggest just searching for turmeric as a natural arthritis treatment. there are numerous sites mentioning it .Some refer to ayurvedic medicine (traditional indian I believe) .
    I know they advise you to check with your doc on most sites and its especially important if you take any blood thinning meds as it can mess with them.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 11th Apr 17, 7:04 PM
    • 2,979 Posts
    • 47,508 Thanks
    silvasava
    Thanks Culpepper - will have a googly!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • savingpennies
    • By savingpennies 13th Apr 17, 11:35 AM
    • 619 Posts
    • 3,958 Thanks
    savingpennies
    Culpepper - I'm very interested in using Turmeric as DH has arthritis in his hands and apparently its a very good anti-inflamatory. I'd like to try it but dont know if there is a recommended amount to use daily - a teaspoon/tablespoon?? Do you know of a website with information?[/QUOTE]

Have a look here:

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/complementary-and-alternative-medicines/cam-report/complementary-medicines-for-osteoarthritis/tumeric/trials-for-oa.aspx

I'm trying these at Holland and Barrett, which are currently on offer:

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/nature-s-garden-turmeric-400mg-containing-curcumin-capsules-60000525
    Books - the original virtual reality.

£2 Savers £30/£300
    Save 2017: £220.31/£2017
    • Athome1
    • By Athome1 16th Apr 17, 9:29 AM
    • 342 Posts
    • 2,283 Thanks
    Athome1
    Happy Easter everyone! The sun is shining here so I'm going to mow the grass .. instead of just thinking about doing it 😁 I'm having a family free day today so that is minimising my work load .. don't mean to sound ungrateful but a bit of solitude now and again is lovely!
    As to mending .. well sort of .. I used an old jumper to cover a box (ideal stolen from pinterest -except I added handles) and it looks lovely and is so useful .. am definitely going to make some more. Have a lovely day all x
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 17th Apr 17, 9:24 AM
    • 15,219 Posts
    • 194,532 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Sorry I've not been in mse for a couple of weeks hope everyone is as well as can be.
    I've been busy, I made some hearts for dd2s partners mums wedding, have visible mended ds1s jeans so they now have done colourful patches, embroidery and darning on them. He's really pleased with them.
    I mended a hoodie dd2 bought that needed some adjustment, I've cleared my mending pile, half of the ironing pile done a load of Easter baking, mum in laws garden has been weeded and planted up with summer bulbs.
    I think that about it. I do need to go round mils and give her bungalowa good spring clean and sort through her paperwork files.
    I'm early making the most of the two weeks Easter hols do keeping busy.

Have a lovely Monday everyone. X
    grocery challenge June budget £400 spent £164.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X4 £2,150 o/t fund so far
    read your books challenge-currently on magic of tidying up
    xstitch challenge 63 Celtic Christmas
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
    • LizzieR
    • By LizzieR 17th Apr 17, 11:40 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 1,970 Thanks
    LizzieR
    A good day of making do / mending for me yesterday! Spent the day at my folks and have created an outfit for a wedding I'm at in a few weeks. It has a steampunk theme, so with help from my Mum I've created an outfit from some clothes that are now too big for her and just slightly too big for me due to weightloss! We started with a long tiered jersey skirt - cut off the elasticated waistband, rolled over the top and added new elastic to make it a bit smaller/shorter so it fits me better. I then stretched 2 strips of elastic down the front from the waistband to the top of the lowest tier - this means the skirt is now ruffled / ruched at the front - so chuffed with this! Next was an old tailored velvet jacket of Mum's that's too big, and really not something I'd wear as it was. We cut off the sleeves and shaped the bottom so it has 2 points at the back and front (coincidentally these match perfectly with the elastic ruffled lines of the skirt - a happy accident rather than by design!) and then used the sleeve fabric as a sort of bias binding to finish the edges. Mum did most of the work on the jacket - a beloved old fave of hers so I was too worried about ruining it and she is a better seamstress than me :-) Meanwhile I made a mad looking petticoat from a load of white jersey cotton and 2 different colours of netting that I'd bought - It really fluffs out the skirt and because of the ruffles in the skirt you can see the netting in places. All finished off with a cream gypsy style blouse that I already have, the outfit looks great! I suspect I will be wearing most of it (minus the mad petticoat) quite regularly :-) Really pleased at giving the old velvet jacket a new lease of life in particular.
    So, for about £20 for the fabric for the petticoat and a few hours work I have an outfit for the wedding - Having looked at outfits in this sort of style online I'd probably have spent about £150-200 to get something similar. Far more satisfying to have made it myself, well, with quite a lot of help from my Mum of course!! It may be a good 15 years since I made any clothes but it's a good skill to have at my disposal - now time to get on with the pile of stuff I have to mend, remodel etc.....!
    • RainbowHippie
    • By RainbowHippie 17th Apr 17, 5:25 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    RainbowHippie
    Wow, sounds like everyone has been busy! Mrs MP and LizzieR your sewing creations sound lovely - the visible-mended jeans and the steampunk outfit - i'd love to see pictures if you're able to upload them (love having a good nosey and admire of others' crafting projects!)

Well i haven't been massively successful in getting out in the garden more, as it's been a bit miserable weatherwise where we are, but have tidied the yard part of our garden and done a bit of sorting/ebaying of stuff that has been taking up space in the garage. Fingers crossed it will all sell quickly. I want to grow tomatoes and salad leaves this year if nothing else, and have been looking at ways to make tomato 'hanging baskets' from old plastic bottles which looks like it could be a nice (and free!) project.

Was going to mow the lawn yesterday but it was still wet from the morning's rain, so instead i spent the time indoors and measured up for some shelves i want in the kitchen and utility room so we can display our cookbooks better and store more bulk-bought herbs and spices, dried pulses etc as our existing couple of food cupboards are overflowing since starting to get the cheaper dried/bulk items. We have a fair bit of old wood that had a previous life as shelving in my dad's garage, my mum was making him throw it out when they had the garage redone so i stepped in to rescue it! Hopefully it can now repay me as i think there should be enough for at least one set of shelves and i have half a tin of paint to make it a bit prettier.

Also tidied some stuff from downstairs into the attic out of the way (some of my massage equipment i rarely use, boxes that aren't currently useful etc) and while i was up there swapped out my summer clothes that were stored away. Went through both summer stuff and the winter stuff i was packing away and a few more things were added to the ebay pile. Managed to list most of them yesterday but a few more to do this evening. Talking about it sounds like i was a lot more productive yesterday than it felt at the time!

So some good making-do coming up with the shelving and tomato pots, and hopefully some minimising of stuff via ebay. I've also hopefully helped towards mending my OH's sore wrist, it's been hurting where it rests on his desk while at the computer. I made a long tube from an old jeans leg and filled it with buckwheat to make a squishy sausage for him to rest his wrists on. If he wants he can also put it in the microwave to warm it up!

Enjoy the rest of the bank holiday everyone, happy MMMing xx
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 19th Apr 17, 6:56 PM
    • 14,785 Posts
    • 119,226 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good evening chums and although the sun has been out its not that warm. today has been an expensive one as i had to get my car MOT'd plus I needed three new tyres.I am off to manchester on friday for a week and I didn't want any problems on the motorway as its about a 260 odd mile drive, I won't compromise road safety for anything My life, and that of my oldest friend is worth more than a few tyres.
    But my fridge is almost clear of fresh food and I am freezer diving for tonight's veg for dinner. I am out to dinner tomorrow night so no cooking to do then. So car is mended (although it was an horrendous bill ) and its something I can't make do without., and its certainly minimised my bank account a tad Hopefully the sun will shine next week at least and my friend and I will get to see some of the sights of Manchester and its surrounding area

Hope everyone is all OK and hanging on to their pennies
    Cheers chums
    JackieO xx
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 19th Apr 17, 8:28 PM
    • 855 Posts
    • 14,450 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Wow, sounds like everyone has been busy!
    So some good making-do coming up with the shelving and tomato pots, and hopefully some minimising of stuff via ebay. I've also hopefully helped towards mending my OH's sore wrist, it's been hurting where it rests on his desk while at the computer. I made a long tube from an old jeans leg and filled it with buckwheat to make a squishy sausage for him to rest his wrists on. If he wants he can also put it in the microwave to warm it up!

Enjoy the rest of the bank holiday everyone, happy MMMing xx
    Originally posted by RainbowHippie
    Hi RH, the buckwheat jeans sound very resourceful, but may I suggest you check the way your dh sits at his desk, too? His wrists should not be resting on the desk while at the computer, maybe the desk can be lowered a bit, or the chair put a bit higher? The underarms, wrists and hands should be one length, with just the fingers dangling down.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6358,74= £ 5581.38
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • savingpennies
    • By savingpennies 20th Apr 17, 8:36 AM
    • 619 Posts
    • 3,958 Thanks
    savingpennies
    Good morning everyone. I've been really busy recently so I've not been on here much and I've not done a lot on the MMM front. We've had a couple of family birthdays recently mine and my mums so we've had some lovely days out. For my birthday last week, we had a lovely day out in Salford at the Lowry. (Jackie O - worth a visit when you are in Manchester: there is the Lowry art gallery, a shopping outlet and the Manchester Imperial War Museum just across the canal). We went to watch Jane Eyre (5*) and had dinner out. Not exactly money saving but I got good seats and paid concessionary rates (senior for OH, student for me), and we ate at Pizza express using gift vouchers I had bought when they were discounted in Tesco/Sainsburys. Sadly as it was Saturday I couldn't use any of their meal deal vouchers.
    I've also been helping my mum sort out her front garden as she finds it difficult now to get down on her hands and knees to do the weeding (not that I am much better).
    On the minimising front, I'm trying hard to use up what is in the freezer and plan to update my freezer inventory either tomorrow or Saturday. I've also got a lot of minimising to do on the shoe front. Being retired means a lot of shoes i wore for work are of no use now, so I aim to sort through and get rid of them.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Books - the original virtual reality.

£2 Savers £30/£300
    Save 2017: £220.31/£2017
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 20th Apr 17, 9:28 AM
    • 14,785 Posts
    • 119,226 Thanks
    JackieO
    Our local cobblers has a bin for shoes that are no longer needed and they are sent to help out in places where they are needed rather than binned for landfill the Lowry sounds right up our street, along with the Imperial war museum.Apparently the nearest station to where we are staying is Disley and its recommended to use a train to get into the city rather than a car because of parking.I don't mind that as it will be nice to be able to look around without worrying about parking charges. So looking forward to our visit
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 20th Apr 17, 11:03 AM
    • 706 Posts
    • 13,808 Thanks
    vulpix
    Jackie,just to give my ten pennorth as I live nearby.

If you are staying near Disley,a trip to Lyme park is a must,nice house and gardens and grounds to walk in.It's where Colin Firth emerged from the lake in the pride and prejudice.You are not far from the Peak District and if you have a car, visit Buxton and Castleton.Mind you can get to Buxton by train from Disley.You will also not be too far from Chatsworth.

There are plenty of museums,galleries etc in Manchester and a free bus from the station into the city centre.If you like curry,grab a bus or taxi and go to Rusholme to the curry mile.

Have a lovely time.

Vx
    • Floss
    • By Floss 20th Apr 17, 1:29 PM
    • 3,600 Posts
    • 27,586 Thanks
    Floss
    Jackie if you are planning to go to the Lowry and war museum, you will be best getting the Metro out to Media City, there is also a Booths s/m there for you to mooch around.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 20th Apr 17, 3:09 PM
    • 2,979 Posts
    • 47,508 Thanks
    silvasava
    Oooh you lot - you're all making me want to take a trip oop North! I do want to visit that area - bought our old caravan from Southport & really liked the area. I also had a friend who had a holiday caravan in west yorkshire so travelled over that side to meet up with her. Think i'm going to add it to my bucket list along with Bristol (Isambard Brunel's ship) Glasgow (birth place of my Gran and Rennie Macintosh!) Edinburgh, Lindisfarne, etc etc etc lol!
    Mega clearing out the last few weeks as its been fine weather. The garden is looking so much better as I've got rid of all the pots that were lurking with dead things in them. he greenhouse has been cleared and cleaned and surplus stuff on Freegle. Just need to power wash the slabs to really spruce it up.
    Did an inventory of my freezer a few weeks ago - first time in 40 odd years!! My how it saves time and money! Working through the list slowly to make room for this years produce. Tonight's tea will be stir fry - chicken from the freezer and a punnet of YS veg plus the shavings from the bottom of the fridge.
    Did finish the little pile of mending/alterations last week. - need to get on with making some new cushion covers for our sitting room. I have a bland beige carpet and bland beige suite but I change the cushion covers, hearth rug and accessories. At the moment its red which looks warm & welcoming. The room gets plenty of light so this year I'm going for a denim blue for the summer and I'll change it back to red for the winter - a quick and easy makeover!
    Have a lovely time Jackie O - plenty of personal recommendations for you to investigate!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 20th Apr 17, 3:21 PM
    • 14,785 Posts
    • 119,226 Thanks
    JackieO
    I remember visiting Buxton a couple of years ago with my friend when we were staying in a tiny place called Hope at the top of a very steep hill.Brilliant cottage, and one morning it was lovely and warm and we sat having breakfast and a lamb jumped through the window it had escaped from it Mum who was looking very plaintively over the fence for her baby.There were June and I, two ladies of a certain age, chasing a baby lamb aroud the sitting room trying to catch it .we did in the end although it was far more sprightly than we were Beautiful scenery in the peak district and I loved the victorian architecture in Buxton.I think its likely we will return there at some point. so many interesting spots to visit . it will be our third time in the north of England and every time we have discovered something new to look at, and the people are so friendly and helpful as well and they love to have a natter which is definitely right up our ginnel
    • RainbowHippie
    • By RainbowHippie 20th Apr 17, 7:01 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    RainbowHippie
    Siebrie - thanks for the tip, i suspect you're right and he is sitting too low at his desk as he was complaining the other day that his office chair doesn't 'stay up' any more and keeps sinking down to its lowest setting! We will have to start scouring eb*y for a 'new' one for him, and i will mention to him about the correct height and positioning

JackieO - i'm sure you will have a wonderful time in Manchester, there's so much to see and do I'm also in the North West and also love Buxton for a nice day out, we often go for my mum's birthday as we both love a good rummage round the charity shops (much posher stuff than our local ones!) If you're ever looking for somewhere for lunch around Oxford Road (in Manchester city centre) the Whitworth art gallery has a nice little cafe with lovely views over the park it's set in.

Finally managed to mow the lawn yesterday, and minimised loads of weeds from the garden paths and patio. I've been making do with bean burger for almost every meal as OH really didn't like the last batch we made (his choice of recipe too!) i wasn't too keen on them as burgers, but broken into pieces and on a wrap with loads of salad, they are really rather good. Two left which will be my lunch and dinner tomorrow. OH has been making do with freezer meals. I'm about to set the washing machine in an attempt to dye some of our faded or marked clothes a nice dark red. Been putting it off as i'm really nervous about the outcome, fabric dye seems so expensive!! i suppose it will be worth it if it comes out well. wish me luck! x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

127Posts Today

2,156Users online

Martin's Twitter