Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    • 2,358Posts
    • 16,340Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 10:07 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017 31st Dec 16 at 10:07 PM
    Time for a new thread for 2017

I loved reading about what everyone was getting up on the 2016 thread and hope that you will join me again in 2017.

With everything else that was going on in the later half of 2016, MMMing went a bit by the wayside but now that me and OH are settled into the new flat, I plan to get properly back into it. So here's to another year of making do, mending and minimising

The 2016 thread can be found here
    And Cheerfulness' original 2015 thread is here

Recipes
    Mincemeat flapjack
    Last edited by misstara; 19-01-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1525.60 (33.7% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 6/8, Gym 1/4. Groceries target £101.46/£150. NSD target 8/18.
Page 26
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Mar 17, 8:31 AM
    • 15,255 Posts
    • 123,947 Thanks
    JackieO
    Lyneplatinum If you get a Brewers Fayre loyalty card, on your birthday you get a free meal via a voucher. I have one of these which my eldest DD uses more than I do as she has a caravan on the Kent coast and its about 10 minutes from one, and her and her OH normally have a meal there on the Friday night when they drive down for the weekend

Last year I ended up with £22 odd worth of points which I used to treat myself and my friend to a meal.But you get a free dinner voucher every year irrespective of how many points you have It can be used within a fortnight of your birthday I had a nice fish and chips meal last month on the house I'm not one to turn down a freebie I also have a Beefeater card as well which gives you the same a free main meal during your birthday fortnight well worth having tucked in your purse
    Good luck for your son'd interview.
    Not much MMM today as I have History club this afternoon which is apparently about climate change in the weather over the years ,then tonight I am out at a big KM quiz night with my team Its a charity affair so raising cash for a good cause and enjoying a night out with food and a bottle of plonk or a soft drink for £6.50
    Still making do from my existing stocks though
    Onwards and upwards chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • RainbowHippie
    • By RainbowHippie 10th Mar 17, 1:15 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 637 Thanks
    RainbowHippie
    Thanks JackieO and Silvasava for the tips on using stuffing, i'll try and work something into the meal plan for next week to get it used up. We do enjoy breaded chicken/fish/veg so using the stuffing instead of breadcrumbs sounds like a good idea for us. I do also like the idea of mixing it with sausage meat for a sandwich filling though so will have to debate it with OH and see what he fancies

Well done LynnP on sorting through your mum's stories - things with sentimental value are the hardest to let go of in my experience. And what a wonderful thing to have to remember her by. Good luck to your son for his interview, i hope it goes well for him.

Make do - made two lasagnes for dinner yesterday - one meat one for OH (using up two tubs of some bolognese he had made ages ago but then wasn't too keen on, so i froze it until inspiration struck) and one veggie for me (finishing off a packet of dried soya mince dated Jun 2015!! been using it gradually over the last year and it's absolutely fine). Made roasties to go with it from some sprouty potatoes, plenty left for lunch and dinner today.

Mend - Still got a big pile of sewing to get through and not yet had time. Was meant to be going out tonight but i am knackered and it's not something where i'll be much missed, so i may give it a miss and catch up with some sewing in front of the tv, hopefully mending myself as well with a bit of relaxation.

Minimise - a bit of the mess of 'things waiting to be done' that was piled on the kitchen table - new blinds up in OH's study, and while the drill etc was out i fitted new smoke/CO2 alarms in a couple of places in the house to replace old ones left by the previous owner that had recently stopped working (and did not have replaceable batteries , the new ones do and are fitted with rechargeables so will be much cheaper/less hassle when they next run out!) so also mending, sort of!

Have a lovely weekend everyone x
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th Mar 17, 2:38 PM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 50,508 Thanks
    silvasava
    Will be minimising my oven in the next week or so - DH said not to use the grill as its starting to flare and the deflector plate is breaking down. Its well over 20 years old & given good service & I've had a replacement in the garage for three years so very happy to be maximising the space!
    Lunch today was soup from the freezer and I used up the last of the 'cretins' as we call them.
    Put some more stuff on fleabay so hopefully some minimising there too
    Still not done any mending
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 10th Mar 17, 7:19 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 3,252 Thanks
    YorksLass
    (((Hugs))) to the poorlies, those of you having a hard time and anyone else who wants/needs them. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make you all better.

Still minimising food stocks chez nous, so much so that I didnít do my usual weekly grocery shopping today. There was nothing we needed and tbh I canít see me buying much for the rest of the month either.

Wed dinner was salad, DH had pilchards on his and I had mackerel.

Thurs we had chicken & veg pie with mash and cauliflower.

Tonight is fish shop battered fish (our Fri treat) with hm mushy peas.

Tomorrow will be beef curry (the last of the joint from the weekend) and rice. That will also use up the last of a bag of sultanas and an eating apple.

I have chicken thighs defrosting now and tomorrow will cook them in the sc with an assortment of veg for Sun dinner; there will be enough for three meals in total, so Ė thighs out of freezer, two hm ready meals going back in. (And yes, Jackie, I will be using a packet of casserole mix for this!)

Used up one of two bananas this morning with cereal for breakfast (I only ever buy two at a time as DH doesnít like them and I prefer them before they get too ripe); I think the other one will be turned into ice cream tomorrow.

This morning DH toddled off to the GPs for his annual MOT; all well depending on results of blood test that he has to have every year to control his gout. He suffered with it for years before he finally gave in to see the GP about it (why are men so stubborn?) so now itís just one pill a day.

While he was out, I vacuumed downstairs (much quicker when heís not under foot ), put two sofa throws in the wm (line dried as weather was good) and then emptied and cleaned out the vc including washing the filter thatís now drying on the kitchen window sill. So, whilst not technically a mend, itís maintenance so Iím counting it anyway.

DS called in the other night on his way home from work so I was able to pass on the large casserole dishes that Iím parting with, so another minimise.

Bye for now, have a good weekend.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Sep GC: £160 - £108.22 = £51.78 NSDs 15/28
    Aug GC: £200 - £115.38 = £84.62 NSDs 28/35 July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

• iamsalt
    • By iamsalt 11th Mar 17, 7:19 AM
    • 254 Posts
    • 5,048 Thanks
    iamsalt
    Good morning.
    I was very pleased yesterday to mend the car seat, the fabric had worn through on the edge and the sponge was starting to wear away. I bought an elbow patch and sewed that over and around the hole so it looks much better. This was really disappointing to have to do as the car is only 4 years old. I am also going to have a try at fixing a mini moulinex coffee grinder.

Minimised - one bag to a charity shop, a bookcase that finally gave up in relief as I took its heavy load of books off, it went to the wood part of the recycling centre. I need to continue the process of minimising as we should be moving before the summer.

Made do - I am sowing lots of the old seeds I have bought over the years-it's also minimising I suppose. The house we are moving to is run down and I thought it would be nice to have some bright flowering plants in pots and to pop in the ground as soon as we move there. It will I hope save me money as I won't want to buy bedding plants which are already grown.
    S x
    2017 the year of learning new skills and mortgage reduction.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 11th Mar 17, 8:34 AM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 12,187 Thanks
    villagelife
    Reading this thread but not posting very often.

Minimizing slowly the contents of the house. I'm making an effort to her rid of something every day and managing mostly. DS1 has taken a few things that he needed. A couple of things have gone on ebay and some only fit for the bin!
    I have mended another couple of jumpers for DH. Not sure what he does to them.
    The bathroom basin is now draining properly after I cleaned it and also 'mended' the outside tap that was dripping by turning off the water to it.

I have made do with food in the fridge and freezer. The eggs from the chickens do come in very useful at times as a frittata helps with using up small amounts of past their best veg.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    • 15,255 Posts
    • 123,947 Thanks
    JackieO
    minimal shopping bought this morning only spent £3.78 on veg, had a couple of slices of cake and a large cheese scone given to me as I was leaving my local coffee morning (it was going to be binned )part of it will be making do at lunchtime along with some leek and tattie soup thats cooking at the moment and the other slice of cake will do tomorrow morning for my elevenses
    No mending ,but a bit of ironing to do later then feet up and relax with some knitting

Have a great day chums its beautiful and sunny here in north Kent

JackieO xx
    • osbornbiscuit
    • By osbornbiscuit 11th Mar 17, 4:39 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    osbornbiscuit
    Getting back into gear
    Have been reading through everyones posts and realised it is a while since I posted. Unfortunately 'Doris' managed to take one of my fences as she flew through. Hoped it could come under mend but no such luck. Minimised the rotten wood and soon to minimise my back account. Luckily my neighbour and I are good friends so we are making do with a piece of chicken wire stretched across the gap to stop my yorkie going to say hello to her and leaving little presents on the lawn.
    Have been pottering about in the garden minimising the weeds, leaves and the ivy that is dragging one of my fences down. Although it is on council land they say they don't have the time or labour to clear from behind the fence. Any ideas for permanently removing ivy?
    Minimised some stuff in the loft. Sold my collection of Victorian photographs to a fellow collector. I realised that although I loved them but they have sat in the loft for at least 8 years and my kids wouldn't have what to do with them when I go and to be able to sell them on to some I know will love as much as I did meant a lot. Just need to sort out the other three large boxes of 'junk'
    Solved the problem of not knowing what was in the food cupboards. Emptied them and wrote down what was in and the use by date and stuck the list on the inside of the door.
    Have been making do with what is in the freezer which has made for some interesting meals but still saving me money.
    Love and hugs to those who need them. Positive thoughts that spring is on the way and better days ahead.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 11th Mar 17, 5:49 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 3,252 Thanks
    YorksLass
    I thought it would be nice to have some bright flowering plants in pots and to pop in the ground as soon as we move there.
    Originally posted by iamsalt
    Growing seeds instead of buying bedding plants definitely saves money. Even if theyíre old seeds and only half of them grow, youíve nothing to lose by trying, have you? Some bright flowers are sure to cheer up your new home.

Any ideas for permanently removing ivy?
    Originally posted by osbornbiscuit
    Oooo, that could be a toughie. If you cut the stems near to the ground, the bits above ground will eventually wither and die so you can easily pull it off the fence without causing damage. But of course then youíre left with the problem of the pesky roots. The organic (and hard) way is to dig them out Ė and even then, if you donít get all the roots out they will grow back. If you donít fancy that, then you may need a stump and root killer containing glyphosate. Iíve also heard that white vinegar or boiling water might work but I canít vouch for them. Good luck!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Sep GC: £160 - £108.22 = £51.78 NSDs 15/28
    Aug GC: £200 - £115.38 = £84.62 NSDs 28/35 July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

• Athome1
    • By Athome1 11th Mar 17, 8:12 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 2,313 Thanks
    Athome1
    I killed a huge ivy plant by pour 'path clear weedkiller' right onto the soil where the stem of the ivy grew. It died very quickly and never came back I'm pleased to say. But I guess you can only do this if there are no other plants close by.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 12th Mar 17, 10:35 AM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 50,508 Thanks
    silvasava
    I cleared Ivy from my Mum's fence by spraying it with glyphosphate on her side - it took a couple of sprays but worked. I'm not a fan of using chemicals but sometimes needs must - especially when it's potentially doing damage.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • northern_star
    • By northern_star 12th Mar 17, 10:46 AM
    • 422 Posts
    • 845 Thanks
    northern_star
    It's been a while since I posted as a bout of flu has kept me under the weather
    We've made one big change which probably counts as 'make do' & 'minimise' together. Our washing machine broke beyond economic repair and we've decided not to replace it. With only two of us at home now, we don't generate that much washing anymore, so we've opted for hand washing smalls (we have a spin dryer which gets lots of water out and means they dry overnight on the clothes horse) and taking larger items to the launderette. It's proving cost effective and efficient. We scrapped the old machine and have used the space for our under counter fridge, giving us more room in our small kitchen.

'Live simply so that others may simply live'
    • osbornbiscuit
    • By osbornbiscuit 12th Mar 17, 5:23 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    osbornbiscuit
    clearing ivy
    Hi
    Many thanks for the ideas on how to get rid of the ivy. I will search in the garage and see what I have got, then probably a trip to town to see what the shops have got. It will not get the better of me !
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 12th Mar 17, 5:52 PM
    • 15,285 Posts
    • 195,526 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Afternoon all
    Hope everyone is well
    Sorry not posted for a while.

Caught up on my mending pile and have managed to keep up ypto date on it.
    Adjusted a dress for dd1 by adding a 'Modesty panel' it was a halter dress that was exceedingly plunging so she wore a vest top under it but wanted to wear it to a posh wedding. It looked too low with nothing under but the vest spoiled the backless halter look. It now has a V of fabric added at the front so is much more wearable.
    I'm currently puttting a crochet edging round a blanket I've knitted for a friends expected baby I should get that finished this evening.
    grocery challenge August budget £400 spent £
    SPC~10 No100 : : X4 £2,700o/t fund so far
    read your books challenge-currently on the Kings curse
    xstitch challenge 63 Celtic Christmas
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
    • CAZBEAR
    • By CAZBEAR 12th Mar 17, 8:49 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    CAZBEAR
    Good evening to everyone...
    I made do with a jar of seafood sauce i'd won in a raffle instead of tartare as we'd run out when we had scampi. We'd never had it before and it's lovely !! Dd will be having it on her pasta and tuna salad all this week i think ! Also dd and dh made do with frozen roasties while i had the last of the boulanger potatoes from the freezer so that saved time cooking the last night (these were 2 seperate meals btw!)
    mimimised 2 bags of parsnips into yummy soup with a bit of a chilli kick as well.

Minimised the cupboard under the sink muddle and found lots of cleaning stuff that was buried and i'd bought again, so that will be a bit of a saving.

Going to try and mend dd's favourite gloves in front of tv.

Hope all are well
    Best headline ever on local paper??

"Weight loss group doubles in size"
    • pandamonium
    • By pandamonium 12th Mar 17, 8:59 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    pandamonium
    Thank you, Rainbow Hippie, for the good wishes re the storage unit of doom. Pleased to report it is now empty . It actually cost me around £500 to store a load of c@rp. Possibly the worst offender in the haul of shame (see what I did there ) was the plastic box of wires. I actually have no idea what most of them were for.
    Minimising is the way forward. If I can't be a good example at least I can be a horrible warning.
    Minimising is now continuing at a pace.
    Last edited by pandamonium; 12-03-2017 at 9:01 PM.
    • misstara
    • By misstara 12th Mar 17, 10:27 PM
    • 2,358 Posts
    • 16,340 Thanks
    misstara
    Hope everyone has had a good weekend

Was working both days and both have been NSDs. Came home yesterday to find OH and his friend working on the garden so some progress there. His friend works as a gardener so at least someone knows what they are doing they've sketched out a plan so will trying to source everything as cheaply as possible.

Made veggie stirfry last night for tea using up various bottom of the fridge veggies. Nice easy tea tonight of ham, eggs and hm chips. Meal plan done for next week, currently got chicken marinating in the fridge for tomorrow which we'll have with salad and hm wedges.

Meant to minimise the ironing pile tonight but instead have sat on the sofa with a book it can wait until tomorrow night.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1525.60 (33.7% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 6/8, Gym 1/4. Groceries target £101.46/£150. NSD target 8/18.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Mar 17, 7:58 AM
    • 15,255 Posts
    • 123,947 Thanks
    JackieO
    I made do with a jar of seafood sauce i'd won in a raffle instead of tartar as we'd run out when we had scampi. We'd never had it before and it's lovely !! Dd will be having it on her pasta and tuna salad all this week i think !
    minimised 2 bags of parsnips into yummy soup with a bit of a chilli kick as well.
    Originally posted by CAZBEAR
    Excellent minimising there I think, I managed to use up all of the hollandaise sauce that I had bought a few weeks ago for DGS and his wife when they came to brunch.Its not something I would normally buy, and I didn't want it hanging around the fridge .

I think sauce is sauce, and if you like it on one thing then try it on another as the bottles do accumulate in the fridge don't they. I had about 5 different flavoured mayo's in the fridge and have managed to get them down to three at the moment its a 'work in progress' I think. I eat a lot of salad stuff so I will eventually get it down to one bottle .Strangely enough I dislike brown sauce and always have but a good dollop of chilli sauce is gorgeous especially on even bangers and mash

Started a new charity blanket last night when I got back from DDs.
    making do with last nights left overs from Dds delicious dinner for my dinner tonight and HM leek and potato soup that I mad on Saturday for my lunch today so NSD today

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 14th Mar 17, 8:26 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 15,635 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Making do / minimising: a couple of years ago I bought a loose leafed fairtrade ecofriendly first flush darjeeling, and I don't like it as a darjeeling, but it tastes fine if I drink it as English breakfast tea, so that's what I do. I'd prefer the darjeeling, but after several attempts with different temperatures and amounts of water, no luck.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 Ä 6466,86= £ 5589.79
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 Ä 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • CAZBEAR
    • By CAZBEAR 14th Mar 17, 8:33 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    CAZBEAR
    Just a quick post, but feeling very pleased with myself....bought a barette (hair slide) as my hair is a bit unruly and 2 different lengths as i'm growing it and i'm a bit old for a pony tail, so thought it would be a bit more suitable for a middle aged woman(don't know when that happened...i still feel 18 !!)
    anyway the barette was reduced to 25p as it was chipped, but it is a shiny black one so...put a spot of dd's black nail varnish on it .... and you can't see the mark at all now !!

Just a small thing but it made me happy
    Best headline ever on local paper??

"Weight loss group doubles in size"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

976Posts Today

9,151Users online

Martin's Twitter