Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CharlieKat
    • By CharlieKat 31st Dec 16, 12:20 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 149Thanks
    CharlieKat
    A Budgeteer's Adventure
    • 31st Dec 16, 12:20 PM
    A Budgeteer's Adventure 31st Dec 16 at 12:20 PM
    Hello all

I've been writing my mortgage free wannabe plans down in a book for a while now but decided to join this forum to help my focus a bit more and hopefully benefit from being cheered on and being told off when i need to be - plus my handwriting isn't that neat

A bit about me - there's just me on this mortgage free journey - although my boyfriend lives with me and would love for us to be mortgage free - there's no getting him on board and i've given up trying to be honest - i've tried for years. Although he's now good at looking at bargains a bit more. We have our 3 cats who live with us too
    The mortgage - fortunately, I managed to remortgage earlier this year which saw a massive reduction in interest However, for affordability, i had to extend the term to 25 years. But i see this as being irrelevant, i've overpaid each month since remortgaging and plan on paying off the mortgage way before the new 25 year term.

Ideally, i'd like to pay off the balance and have some savings at the end of my 5 year fix. i deliberately took a 5 year fix as I was looking for a new job, which i got, but as it's a different industry to what I was working in before i've had a bit of a paycut - which I expected hence the 5 year fix

I've probably wittered on enough now - here's a cuppa and biscuits for all
Page 4
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 5th Aug 17, 1:24 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Oh dear! I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time but it'll sort itself out soon! Well done with getting a plan in place and clearing your cabinet, I find that even doing a small section of the house makes a huge difference! x
    Original Mortgage Amount 2007 - £87,310.50
    Mortgage Amount Oct 2017 - £61,990.00
    Overpayment Target for 2017 - £5,000 /£4,060.70
    Jan - £873.26 Feb - £185.38 March - £269.07 April - £193.66 May - £467.64 June - £407.79 July - £849.96 August - £255.11 September - £177.22 October - £381.61
    • CharlieKat
    • By CharlieKat 8th Aug 17, 5:58 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    CharlieKat
    Thanks Jessy - that's what i thought to - if I do 1 small place and then build on it until the whole house is back to as it should be - that's the plan anyway
    Mortgage: £140,000 £68,490.66
    Credit Card 1 8/7/17: £2771 £1,546
    No buying new clothes from 16/07/2017
    • CharlieKat
    • By CharlieKat 8th Aug 17, 6:15 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    CharlieKat
    popping in with not much to report but aiming to keep myself on the frugal path

Spent a bit more than I wanted to on bits to take to a party at the weekend - it was a good night out but i could've done without the spends. We got to bring home what we took and wasn't used though so i'm hoping to eek it out and reduce the shopping as much as i can

When i did the shopping i parked away from the shops and made several journeys with heavy bags = good exercise and cost saving

We also got an invite to a fancy dress party - it's not an outfit i could make from anything i have here - all clothes being worn and only work stuff that may be reduced at the mo. so i'm keeping a watchful eye at the carboots and on the bay - so i can stick to my target of only second hand shopping I do enjoy dressing up and am really looking forward to it - even if i've nothing to wear at the moment

Since my last declutter I've completed decluttering the other 2 drawers in my bedside cabinet which has seen several small things being disposed of, I've also decluttered underwear - new tights definitely needed but i knew that anyway. Whilst i've not discovered anything to sell it's been good and lightening to clear out the unused / unusable / unwanted

I need to clear out another storage area which houses my bags and some study books - i feel like i'm delaying it due to being a bit torn emotionally The study books weren't really used I bought them for a course but when i got offered my last job i couldn't attend anymore (due to the hours) and it just feels like a waste. I also want to do the course still but think, if i did, i's study from home and the courses i've looked into for this provide all the books and they'll be updated at that time too The course i'm doing now and the next one are more specifically linked to my career so it'll be a couple of years before i get to return to studying this. Guess i should really sell them so they are used now Guess that's a job for the weekend then

Still no ideas on making extra money - work doesn't offer any paid overtime. ideally i'd like to earn extra from working at home - wouldn't we all x
    • CharlieKat
    • By CharlieKat 17th Aug 17, 10:21 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    CharlieKat
    I've been so busy lately and hadn't realised how long it had been since i last posted.

I really need to make some time for myself so i can do the things that are important to me - which includes posting on here more, focus on health, family and studying to improve my career prospects.

Having already done all the 'big' things money saving i'm now onto the small things which i'm keeping up with but it is a part of daily life now so doesn't seem too exciting to post about. Anyways the little things i've done are:

Followed the advice of half a tank of petrol to try and make journeys as efficient as possible
    packed lunch to work every day
    Cut open moisturiser to get to the bit at the bottom that wouldn't squirt out - saving needless waste as there was 2 days worth
    eaten from stores
    got bargainous meat at the supermarket they normally reduce the prices when i'm in work so was very lucky with this.
    Walked all walkable journeys
    Changed plans so car journey done once and not twice for almost same route
    Used coupons for some food shopping saving just over £5
    Sold some books to a book buying site
    had family round for drinks (already had in) so much cheaper than going out
    stuck to shopping list whilst shopping - except for meat but was reduced from prices like £10 to £1 and will go a good few meals

That's all i can think of for now but i'm sure there's loads more.
    There's lots of things i want to include in my daily / weekly life that isn't happening at the moment. Fitness, overall health, studying: languages, music and career based and more reading. Relationships - my boyfriend, family and friends. This area overall is suffering less than the rest but i still want to focus on the quality and experiences we all share. I'm going to spend some time this weekend on time management and start putting things in place - it will only happen if i make it happen
    • CharlieKat
    • By CharlieKat 3rd Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    CharlieKat
    Long time no post!

I think part of the problem is my Mr now uses the computer a lot for work so i don't get to pop on as much, plus his working pattern has changed meaning he's home more as well.

Good news is I've been paying my mortgage on my current deal for a year now - this meant my 10% for the year overpayments re-set

When i got paid I assume i got a rebate as there was more in my pay than expected (not got wage slip yet). I divvied this up by paying extra off the first credit card i'm trying to clear, popped £100 into savings to start towards that target for the year and also paid the extra pounds and pence to the mortgage company - meaning each overpayment now will be £800 until I've hit the limit again for this year.

I don't know if i've mentioned i used to overpay lots of bits and pieces to the mortgage to try and get this down and was very, very fortunate to be able to remortgage last year to a much lower interest rate but the only mortgage i could get had a 10% a year limit. I know they couldn't recommend a product to me but the person I was dealing with had to ask about the fixed 1 year, 2 year as well (i think these were the years) But i stuck with 5 years. If i'd done 1 year that would have been up and for review when i was redundant with no income As it is I've started year 2 with my income £8,000 less a year than when i got the remortgage. i know alot can change in the next year still but i have kept up with my own personal targets of where i want to be mortgage wise. IE in the first year i overpaid the full 10% limit and put money into savings. I've started year 2 with the overpayment i wanted to make, put a bit into savings and am focuing on the credit cards with the 'bits & pieces' of extra money coming in.

It felt good to clear a number of books out - sold to a book site - just got to find the box now but they're in the car ready to pick up a box at the supermarket and then drop off

I also cleared a good few clothes out as well - filling up a carrier bag - most to the bay but some to carboot (if i have one) or for weighing in as i don't think they're quite good enough for the bay. That said there were some dresses i was looking at on the carboot today which had been pulled and i was glad i noticed before buying.

I've enjoyed getting out to the carboot most weeks - i've not enjoyed the early starts, or at least i've missed my lie-ins! Getting up and out early has meant i've seen some beautiful sunrises at a lovely peaceful time of day. I've been good with the carboot, i think and bought things that have been needed - so i've saved us quite a bit of money there, New plants for the garden - again, very money saving! As well as selecting new pieces for my wardrobe Some of the clothes haven't quite fit right - which is always a risk - so i've decluttered these immediately.

What a long post this is - well done if you've got this far I'm going for a mosey round the diaries and will be back with my plans
    • CharlieKat
    • By CharlieKat 3rd Sep 17, 3:54 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    CharlieKat
    Had a happy read around some threads and also had a 5 minute wardrobe sort - resulting in 8 items to be listed on the bay of e. That'll probably be next week now, and, hopefully, during this week, i can get through more items in the wardrobe and decide if they can leave too

I've also looked up a few new recipes and have the beginnings of a shopping list for tomorrow

My plans are to increase my decluttering and see more things leaving the house and hopefully this will have the knock-on effect of money coming in too

I'm also wanting to reduce the amount of food we have in. I don't know why i stockpile so much or why i can't resist a bargain but this has resulted in, ahem, alot of food and drink in the house and i want to practically clear the cupboards bare so we can just buy and use what we need. I started this a bit in the last 2 weeks using up more packet / jar foods than we would normally. Some of these were buy 1 get 1 free when doing a shop previously and it made sense to get the extra. But. We really need to use our space better and make it work for us whilst we're living here. It's a small house and we could really do with extra cupboard space *dreaming of a larder*. As this isn't going to happen we're going to need to use up more of what we have and then food and drink isn't on the worktops as well as in the cupboards The problem is none of it is enough to make a meal - it's either sauces, rice, packet mixes,soup (that i don't like and will try to feed to my Mr as much as possible this month ). Unless i can think of something else i could use the soup in

It might take towards the end of the year to see a difference in this area but i am going to go for it!
    • CharlieKat
    • By CharlieKat 8th Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    CharlieKat
    Good morning all - quick post before i jump in the shower.

have been up and about, packed a couple of boxes of books but need to find a bigger box for the last lot - has a large square book in it so nothing wide / deep enough it could fit in unfortunately. Looking forward to those leaving and money coming in.

Now i'm in the pension scheme at work i decided to check out my other pension pots and what they're doing - all very, very low value stuff. I'm considering increasing payments into the pension at work - it won't affect employers contributions but will affect my retirement 'pot.' So quite a productive morning. One lot of washing done also.
    • CharlieKat
    • By CharlieKat 9th Sep 17, 11:32 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    CharlieKat
    An abrupt end to yesterday's post as i got called away to other things.

Yesterday saw 3 lots of washing done and moved

A few more items left the house as gifted to family - some weren't saleable although good items.

Saw family which was nice. Had a chat about money too - i *need* - it is a need and not a want, a new set of dining table and chairs - unfortunately, i'm restricted to a specific size and the one which will fit is pretty pricey (for me). We've bought cheap previously - hence the need now. I really, really want to start a savings pot for this but i don't know where the money will come from to go in this. All of my wages are 'spent' each month and all extras go towards paying the cards off. The table will impact greatly on our lives, it will mean we can have family and friends around for meals again, this will be good for the relationships and good for the soul too. I can't think of where any money will come from for this pot though

Current situation is i pay all minimums to cards from wages and i don't reduce this as the balance reduces. I currently pay £180 a month from wages to the cards. Anything extra such as from the bay of e goes to this. I really cannot think of how to raise any extra income. Although i did look online for a part time job yesterday - not sure how my Mr would feel about that to be honest - all the jobs i saw were all weekend (but were actually skilled so not suitable) it would mean we wouldn't see each other

Just read that back - not as down about it as those faces look just frustrated a little. Any suggestions for raising the extra welcome Whilst just about every spare penny goes to mortgage - overpay maximum of 10% a year and save the rest, and debt minimums met as well as extra from extra income, we do need to have a life too and the table will help.

Having a quiet day at home today. Cooking cottage pie filling, will be portioned for freezer when done. Also going to bake a cake for the first time in ages I may also make some individual cakes but should perhaps wait until the first one has been consumed Especially with the weight i need to lose.

Did i mention i weighed myself. It. was. not. good. Heaviest. ever.

Going to be sensible and aim for 1lb a week off. Did have cake yesterday and already today but am introducing some good habits too. No Friday night wine for me last night Although i've got a headache this morning so that doesn't seem fair

Best check on the pie. hope everyone has a good day
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 9th Sep 17, 2:30 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    michelle09
    I think a lot of people here do online ways of making a little extra money? Surveys etc...

As for working weekends etc. OH and I both do shift work (we're both in the emergency services and it comes with the territory), and I have a second job on top of it. It's not easy, but it can be done. I think it's just important to make sure that the time you have off together is yours. Try and get chores etc. done when one of you is off so you can just enjoy each other's company when you're both at home.
    • CharlieKat
    • By CharlieKat 15th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    CharlieKat
    Hi michelle

Thank you for posting - it's lovely to have visitors

Thank you for the input too - i need to look into the surveys recommended by people i think - I used to do a lot a few years ago but a lot of them changed and the time / reward wasn't worth it. I'll hopefully pick up some tips from people's diaries too

Working weekends can definitely be done - me and Mr Kat have both worked all manner of shifts - I even had 3 jobs at one time - now though it is about finding the balance and ensuring our time together is quality time. If it's meant to be, and I stay on the look-out, hopefully something appropriate will pop up
    • CharlieKat
    • By CharlieKat 15th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    CharlieKat
    I've plenty to do today but fear i'm too tired to do much more today / this week

on the health front I weighed myself and lost a little bit this week - not as much as I wanted but it is my birthday week and it has been somewhat cake and nice meals filled There will be less cake once all the celebrations stops so hopefully that will help I do like a bit of cake though and I don't like to waste food

I was very lucky and was gifted some money for my birthday , for now I've paid it off the mortgage as a couple of other people have said they'll also give me money (instead of buying me a gift) if they do i'll pay that to the mortgage too, and if that takes the total to £100 then I'll pay the £100 to savings on payday and reduce the amount I pay to the mortgage on payday by the £100 - hope that makes sense. I have suggested to people that we don't buy each other gifts / give money - unfortunately no-one is in agreement with me on this - I think they think i'm being tight i'd rather just have quality time and experiences / make memories with people though. oh well! hope you guys on here understand

I've not updated my sig for the mortgage as I like to do this after the contractual payment and interest day.

I've been a good mser this week and have got a new sim only deal which saves me almost £45 a year I've had to pay extra in advance so have had to move some money I was going to pay the target card to the bills account to cover this - but for such a good saving I think it is totally worth it

I also got our home insurance for £20 less than the quote

I also challenged myself to clear 50 items out of the house today - not rubbish but things like clothes etc. I don't think I've met this challenge though I've cleared 10 things with a further 2 identified which it's too late to list on the bay as the pics won't be good enough. Me and my Mr though cleared over 50 shared items basically with me holding stuff up going can this go? My Mr agreed he'd been holding onto some things 'just in case' even though the items weren't suitable for purpose if they did need to be used I think he felt the benefit of clearing these things away too Altogether that is 2 very full carrier bags cleared out Out of my own 10 things a few got listed for sale, a few gifted and a few weren't any good to anyone and went in the bin.

During clearing out I've been through 3 drawers - 2 have Mr Kat's things in so have been left and are tidy. 3rd had mainly shared household stuff in and I identified a couple of things that would be more useful for me at work (for when I nip to the post office from there). This should see these items being used so I have housed in my work bag ready to be rehomed Monday

I've organised my jars / packets / tins etc. and slowly but surely am working my way through them - this should see months of use before things become clear(er). I don't want to clear the stock / staples things but do want all other things to be used and gone then I can start afresh. i'm happy progress is being made though

I've also been using my stash of body lotions - my body feels better for it

I've a bag I want to clear so i'm going to make tea and watch some TV and if I've the energy / mind to, in the ad breaks i'm going to try and work through it

Ooh - got card in sig below £2000 now Must post an update about credit card debt soon(ish) in case anyone's interested
    • CharlieKat
    • By CharlieKat 21st Sep 17, 9:02 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    CharlieKat
    I did get the bag cleared and felt much better for it Lots of paper recycled and a few bits to sell / charity shop.

I didn't keep track of the amount of things cleared as i wasn't anywhere near 50 items. I'm starting again this week though with the aim of clearing 50 items a week over the next 10 weeks - they all have to be genuine clear-out things though - not things like a pen which has run out / lotion used up etc.

7 - clothing (mixture of selling / gifted)
    4 - miscellaneous items thrown away - no longer suitable for use or for use by anyone

Total 11 items so far for this week. In the process i've been through a shelf we use to store things in a cupboard so the first step made in decluttering that room

Hope to clear at least the same number of items again tomorrow.

In work news i've expressed my interest in working more hours - although there isn't any chance of this at the moment, i'm hoping by voicing this now, should the opportunity arise, i'll be thought of. This is part of the reason I'm setting a weekly clear-out target - to motivate myself to get rid of things, Then if i do get more hours i won't still have the clearing out to do as well Hoping i find stuff to sell as well

I've been using up the tins / jars and packets - it will take some time yet but i'll be glad to have used up all but the staples and hope not to build up such a stash of food again - although some of it was hugely reduced (from £1.50 to 29p etc) and are items we use - but clearly not that much

I'm also going to make sure I read at least 30 minutes a day - it's something i enjoy and haven't made the time for - cleared books will count to my target as i do love my books so having it in my target should help encourage me to sell / pass on

Tomorrow i'm going to re-start my studying - so hope to report back on progress - clearing again in another sense as it'll be clearing this course off my to do list

I'm very focused on money at the moment - maybe a bit too much i really want the debt gone and savings built up. My limited income has reduced my paying off / saving power. I seem to spend my 'blank' time - commute, breaks and lunches at work trying to think of things i can sell and how much i need to pay off the cards a month and crunching the numbers Again, taking action and clearing the house should help with this as i'll have nothing left to sell Seriously though, i need to see this as an opportunity and look into upping my income.

i also need to enjoy the 'wins' a bit more. The mortgage balance will be under £70,000 this month - i read other threads and know people see these as milestones, i'm simply ticking the month off as achieving the target i set myself when i remortgaged. I don't seem to be enjoying it and i'm not sure why maybe it's because i'm simply paying what i see as my mortgage payment each month - although i overpay over double my contractual mortgage payment each month.. i'm really not sure what it is. I'm also thinking ahead to the end of my current mortgage deal in 4 years and the balance i *may* have left - I'm saving up to clear that in full but now i don't want to use those savings - especially after the recent redundancy I want everything don't i?
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 22nd Sep 17, 11:25 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Hi Charlie! Sounds like you're doing great with the clearing out. I understand how you feel, you are so focused on getting to the next target that you forget how far you've come and how well you've done! I suggest you give yourself a little treat when you get under £70K, a takeaway, a bottle of wine or you're favourite chocolate, something to celebrate the great progress you've made! x
    Original Mortgage Amount 2007 - £87,310.50
    Mortgage Amount Oct 2017 - £61,990.00
    Overpayment Target for 2017 - £5,000 /£4,060.70
    Jan - £873.26 Feb - £185.38 March - £269.07 April - £193.66 May - £467.64 June - £407.79 July - £849.96 August - £255.11 September - £177.22 October - £381.61
    • CharlieKat
    • By CharlieKat 22nd Sep 17, 4:13 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    CharlieKat
    Hi Charlie! Sounds like you're doing great with the clearing out. I understand how you feel, you are so focused on getting to the next target that you forget how far you've come and how well you've done! I suggest you give yourself a little treat when you get under £70K, a takeaway, a bottle of wine or you're favourite chocolate, something to celebrate the great progress you've made! x
    Originally posted by Jessy103
    Aw thanks Jessy - i'm not sure i could treat myself though We've got quite a few 'special' bottles of wine that we've not opened Mainly because these are bottles at £20 each or more and were gifted to me for various reasons - i said we'll open one when it's a special occasion and we can really enjoy it - i don't think we'll do it for the mortgage either as it's very much a solo journey for me. The takeaway sounds good but i couldn't justify the cost Too much debt to hammer down sadly. I guess i don't think / feel like i've come far or done well The plan was to be here less than 5 years - several redundancies and never achieving the income i had when i bought scuppered that Where i'm at now is way behind where i should be. I really don't mean to sound like a moany thing. I guess writing here gets things working in the back of my mind - I need to flip the situation on its head and say Well I've paid off £70,000 in 10 years even though I was made redundant (without pay) 3 times and I need to be happy about that - easier said than done I think part of the reason for the clearing out is for me to try and be happier / enjoy being here more - i also think, part of me is using the tactic of ' if i was moving would i want to move this with me?' and that is making me think about moving and where i want to be.

Crikey! I really don't mean to sound so down - you can probably tell i've alot / had alot going on and who knew an mse diary would be a tell-all

What does cheer me up is having this place to come to and write and popping in to lovely supportive messages - that definitely helps
    • CharlieKat
    • By CharlieKat 22nd Sep 17, 4:16 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    CharlieKat
    Quick post to say cleared out another 11 items - i thought it was 14 but wasn't sure and could only remember a definite 11 - most sadly off to landfill as unusable plastic items which are no use any more and can't be recycled. Other items were gifted and a couple of bits for the bay.

Total 22 and i'm set on clearing rest of cupbard out after which should see a few bigger bits leaving
    • CharlieKat
    • By CharlieKat 22nd Sep 17, 4:42 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    CharlieKat
    The card debt
    Ho hum - the credit card debt. I thought i'd share it with you all, in case you're interested. I love reading other peoples diaries and identifying with them on things. Anyways to the debt. This really feels like a confessional

I have 5 credit cards, all with balances on them. Some of the balances are part of the mortgage - about £5000 - £6000 worth now i would think. I was stuck on a very, very high interest rate and couldn't remortgage - having been made redundant twice and new job much less pay than I had when taking on the mortgage. i paid some of the mortgage on my card as the interest rate was better and work (at the time) had unlimited overtime which i was assured would be the case for months. The overtime was cancelled - even though the work was still there to be done so i then had the mortgage and cards to pay without earning any extra income. However, reducing my mortgage and managing my card payments i was finally successful in remortgaging to the deal i'm on now which i am really greatful for - i know others are on lower rates than this but i'd even been turned down by brokers and applied to my bank and their underwriters reviewed it - i was really, really happy when i got this approved I had to extend the term of the mortgage, as it had reduced with overpayments, but i have happily paid all the extra i said i would do so i know the mortgage won't go on for that length of time

One of the cards is the balance of my car - 2nd hand and new to me and i love it 2 jobs before the job i'm in now i wasn't using my car alot but was applying for new jobs and knew i needed a car to get there - due to location. My car, which i had at the time, broke down, i'd literally thrown good money after bad on that car and it was the final straw and it had to go but i didn't have the money to replace it - all the 'car' money i had had been used on repairs. I was very lucky to find my new to me car and again was so happy that i got this Shortly after i did get a new job which i had to drive to, and, after being made redundant the job i have now is only realistically get to-able by car for me.

Another card has my living costs on for the time between me being made redundant and finding my new job - i had to pay the bills somehow and this was my emergency fund - part of the reason i now don't want to use savings at the end of this deal to clear the mortgage balance - i want to have real savings!

Final card has a course on it which i didn't finish there were a lot of reasons for this - issues within the college itself - many of the students complained, also i was ill and trying to manage that and i started my new job and literally couldn't go as i couldn't make the classes. I really feel bad about this one but will learn from it - although if i was ill like that again i wouldn't be in a position to do anything any different.

Determined to clear these asap - but not above the mortgage payments. I pay almost £1200 a month to the mortgage - £800 of which is an overpayment. When i hit the 10% limit i put the £800 into savings. I see the £1200 as being my mortgage payment.

I really need to up my income to clear these cards faster - hopefully clearing out will find some things i can sell *fingers crossed* but i also need to think about other earning potential...
    • CharlieKat
    • By CharlieKat 22nd Sep 17, 11:54 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    CharlieKat
    Quick update to say 4 more items have been decluttered the cupboard has been cleared, cleaned and re-organised and looks great

Total 26
    • CharlieKat
    • By CharlieKat 23rd Sep 17, 11:41 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    CharlieKat
    A further 7 items decluttered, sadly none sale-able

Total 33

Really pleased as the bits of my home that i've done look so much better - and it feels so much better. Even if these things were in cupboards those areas are now feeling so much better than they were

Now to declutter a bit of my book Really enjoying reading again
    • CharlieKat
    • By CharlieKat 29th Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    CharlieKat
    Total so far is 41 items decluttered so I'll have to declutter 59 this week to stay on target. The areas I've targeted are so much better now though I've got rid of more than 59 things but i got rid of a set of things i counted that as 1 item.

Card balance in my sig has reduced due to bay of e sales and also selling books to a b00k buying place

Meal planning seems to be going quite well. Having become aware of packets and jars to use up i was able to take advantage of a reduced price meat offer and a warming casserole will feature on the horizon soon

Work has been very hard this week - i need to put quite a bit of time into studying this weekend in the hope that will help with it.
    • CharlieKat
    • By CharlieKat 30th Sep 17, 6:07 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    CharlieKat
    Taking Stock
    Total clear out is 47 items - so 3 to find for last week and 50 for this

Decluttering has confirmed my tendency to 'stockpile' some things, so i was really pleased when i needed washing up liquid last week and only bought 1 bottle - i'd normally buy 2 or 3

Other things have been 'stocked' up for more obvious reasons - buy 1 get 1 free offers etc.

I've done well using items up in the cupboard with another couple of packets being used today

I have enough hair product, except maybe conditioner, to last a year both and Organising my toiletries I decided to try a neglected bottle of styling product to see if i should use it or part with it. It's now currently replacing my other product and, as there's plenty in the bottle, should last me a year at least

I also have a lot of body lotion - not sure how long this will last as i've never been a regular user. These have been mostly from either hotel stays or from gift packs with other things in and these too have been neglected. I'm happily using them now, and, just like with my hair conditioner, i'm using the smaller bottles first to hopefully clear space in my home quicker With 18 bottles i'm thinking it should last a year

I have enough cleanser, toner and moisturiser to last a year Although i will need some new make-up - i have needed some for a few weeks but i'm trying not to spend.

I'm happy with how well decluttering the utility has gone - there's still some bits in there which need to be used up - fruit, jars, packets. But what has been done has made a difference to how the room looks and feels and i'm happy the jars and packets are being used up too

I've also stocked up the freezer as i have done some batch cooking today using reduced priced meat pleased this is done and got the washer on as well so i don't need to do this tomorrow but am feeling a bit under the weather and think an early night may well be on the cards.

I wanted to get some studying done and hopefully can do that tomorrow if i feel a bit better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

754Posts Today

5,652Users online

Martin's Twitter