Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 31st Dec 16, 4:05 AM
    • 186Posts
    • 496Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    From debt to freedom...
    • 31st Dec 16, 4:05 AM
    From debt to freedom... 31st Dec 16 at 4:05 AM
    For a couple of months I have been lurking and reading diaries which have been helpful and inspiring. I thought that I would start a diary to keep myself focussed on getting rid of the debts.

I am a working mum, recently separated from my husband. I have a large family which makes for an interesting and busy life! I have had a couple of LBMs in recent years and tried to stick to a budget. I had 2 loans totalling 17, 000 at one point. One loan was paid in Aug 2016 and the 2nd has just over £2,000 to go and is due to be paid off by August 2017.
    Other than that, I have a cc with a £475 balance, 2 home improvement loans ( for double glazing) that both have about £1700 outstanding. These have a horrible interest rate of 22%, so I'm eager to tackle these first.
Page 4
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 7th Apr 17, 10:08 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    There are such a choice of colours of sunflower plants now. Sounds a nice mix of colours, Cherryfudge.

Spent the last couple of days catching up on washing and getting it dried. When I'm at work I 'm limited in what I can get done at home, so it's been good to catch up. Got more seeds sown and some plants potted on. Spent last night digging over one of the raised beds to get it weed free so that I can start planting out soon. Those nettles have long roots, it was quite a workout!

Looked at the loan figures and checked how much of the loan was repaid over the last 2 months to try and work out how much of the monthly payment is interest and how much is capital repayment. If I've worked it out correctly, the payment that went out on Monday should have brought the balance down to £1374. Am going to ring and check today.
    paydbx #90 £275/£10,000.
    365 day penny challenge £37.66/£667.95
    Loan £17k in 2012- £570 in June 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 7th Apr 17, 9:45 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Pottered at home again today, more washing done and dried. Spent a bit of time sowing runner bean seeds which are now in the allotment greenhouse. The toddler is really enjoying time spent in the garden. Watching him run around and play is a joy in itself. Although one of the teenagers was annoyed to be pottering at home again I have had a NSD which I'm pleased about.
    paydbx #90 £275/£10,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 9th Apr 17, 1:05 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Sold 2 plants today at the garden gate. Both were hardy perennials that I's sown last year and potted on and overwintered. That brings sales of plants this year to £14.50. Hoping to go to the bank on Monday and pay into my bank account. I hope to use £7to buy more seed/compost and use the £7.50 to put towards a debt.

3 of my eBay listings have sold too so hoping when all that has been posted that will be a few extra pounds.
    paydbx #90 £275/£10,000.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Apr 17, 1:34 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    That's good going!

Aren't seeds getting expensive? But the results are as wonderful as ever.
    30 days in June...
    NSDs 9/12, Exercise 8/12, Housekeeping £108.57/£120
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 10th Apr 17, 3:46 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Seed costs really are shocking at times. I bought a packet of tomato seeds last week which cost £2.99. The variety is "Sungold" so a cherry tomato which I hope we will be able to harvest quite a few tomatoes from. Thought there would be about 50 seeds, was shocked to find 8. Will be tending those plants very carefully!! Other times it's the other way round, lots of seeds for not very much!

Had a spendy day yesterday as we went out for lunch. Don't normally do this but it was planned in advance and had been booked quite some time ago. Will be trying hard to make this coming week as no or low spend as possible.

Started to help DD1 to sort out her student finance application. Scary figures. Not quite sure how it all works as HMRC have asked for household income for tax year 15/16. The ex and I lived under the same roof then but he chose not to contribute to household expenses. There doesn't seem to be a box to tick or explain scenarios like this.
    paydbx #90 £275/£10,000.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Apr 17, 10:25 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    While I can see why they ask for income from a previous year, it's not a fair system. There's a Students section on this website that might help, plus whatever discussions on the Forum. I'm sorry I can't be more useful but there are bound to be people with up-to-the-minute knowledge out there.

I've had 'Sungold' tomatoes a few years ago. - totally delicious.
    30 days in June...
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 10th Apr 17, 9:31 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Thank you for the suggestion Cherryfudge. Hadn't realised there is a student section on MSE so will go and find it.

Packed up and posted off 2 EBay sales that finished over the weekend. Pleased that stuff sold. It wasn't for much but every little helps. Paid my plant money into the bank today. I've decided to halve it and use £7.50 for seeds and £7 off the family debt. Will use the eBay sales to add to the £7 so my family get £20 in all. I know not much but chipping away.

Trying to make groceries stretch as much as possible. Tonight's tea was jacket potatoes with tuna plait and salad, followed by blackcurrant and almond torte using frozen blackcurrants from the allotment. Tomorrow I'm at my parents for tea so will be making an iced carrot cake to take for dessert. Wednesday the children are with the ex for the day so I can have soup or a pasty from the freezer. Just need to plan through the Easter weekend then.

Sunflowers and cauliflowers have germinated as have the Sun gold tomatoes. Cornflowers and calendulas are getting to the potting on stage. I'm enjoying being busy in the garden and making the most of the time off work. When I go back after Easter I know time to potter won't happen.
    paydbx #90 £275/£10,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 13th Apr 17, 5:32 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Paid plant money into the bank and have enjoyed browsing a seed website and choosing a variety of cosmos, a variety of Heuchera and chick peas. Didn't think about growing those so looking forward to sowing those when they come. It was good to shop knowing that the recent plant sales have made buying these seeds possible.

Had a nice couple of days. Went to a NT property yesterday with two friends. I'm a member so no extra cost. Just bought lunch for myself and the toddler. It was a birthday treat so made the most of enjoying it. Other children were with the ex for the day so a rare day off for me.

Got to get busy today with planning and preparation for the new term.
    paydbx #90 £275/£10,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 16th Apr 17, 1:46 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Had a busy couple of days preparing for the new term so hopefully ready to go on Tuesday. Been trying to keep on top of the garden by potting on seedlings tray at a time. The snapdragons and calendulas are at the allotment greenhouse waiting to be planted out as soon as I have a bed that is weed-free. Cauliflowers have germinated. I'm looking forward to seeing how these grow as I've not tried these before.

I rang the bank yesterday to get an up-to-date balance on my loan and to my amazement it's down to £1094. I had been trying to keep an eye on it and record what I thought was being paid off the capital each month. I pay £290 a month so had allowed £50 for interest. Turns out the interest is now about £16 a month. I guess as one gets to the end of the life of the loan, the balance of interest and capital being paid gets greater in favour of the capital. That was a nice moment realising I am slightly less in debt than I thought. 4 more payments and the loan is done

Holidays seem to mean that the grocery budget goes awry. The children have been grazing throughout the last couple of weeks, so I've been using up different things in the cupboards and freeze. On Friday we had chick pea curry which I've never cooked before but was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was and tasty. I found some lamb in the freezer so will make a lamb stew in the slow cooker for tonight's meal.
    paydbx #90 £275/£10,000.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 16th Apr 17, 9:54 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    That's great news about the loan! The snowball is gathering momentum.

Chickpea curry is a favourite of mine too - I add sultanas, apple & pineapple. Can you tell I like fruit in it?!

Happy Easter!
    30 days in June...
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 17th Apr 17, 8:52 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Mmmmm...I added sultanas but hadn't thought about apples and pineapple. Will use that tip for next time I make the curry. Tea last night was lamb stew which the 15 year old DS pronounced as delicious, which given he can be a fussy eater was good news! Did simmer muffins for pudding which I really enjoy.

Had free fun yesterday. I had bought Easter eggs for the children but did our own Easter egg hunt. I used some of the plant labels and put a sticker round each one with a child's name on. Next to the allotment is a slope covered in hazel and hawthorn trees. At the top of the slope is a wooded scrubby area that can be used ( usually very good at blackberry picking time). I hid the labels in and around the allotment and the slope and ground at the top. I did it last year and was amazed that DS1 (15 ) has been asking for weeks if we can repeat it. I think a new tradition has started. When all labels had been found, the children exchanged them for the eggs which I'd put in the shed. It was so lovely sat on an old sleeper, enjoying the sunshine and the abundant primroses. We even saw 3 swallows as we were sat there.

On our return to the house I noticed that the water wasn't draining out of the kitchen sink. I did my usual trick of using an old skewer to make sure nothing is blocking anywhere, to no avail. So I had a go and undoing the waste pipes and clearing them out. Sounds disgusting but got it all cleared, the water now drains away quickly. I didn't have to call a plumber or the ex and just did it myself.

Hoping to get out for a decent walk today and then will have to get prepared for the new term starting tomorrow. I have so enjoyed the Easter break and spending time with my children and in the garden.
    paydbx #90 £275/£10,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 17th Apr 17, 9:47 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Enjoyed the last day of the holidays. We went for a walk along the public footpaths down to our nearest cove. It was beautiful. A nice last relaxing day before the start of term.

Another NSD today making 3 in a row.
    paydbx #90 £275/£10,000.
    • BettyBones
    • By BettyBones 19th Apr 17, 10:06 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    BettyBones
    Awww... how sweet that your 15yr old wanted to join in with the Easter Egg hunt. Love that! I struggle to get my 15yr old to even step outside the front door with me these days!
    If you can dream it, you can do it - Walt Disney
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 23rd Apr 17, 1:21 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Hi Bettybones, thanks for dropping by.

Managed 3 NSDs last weekend more out of necessity than planned intent as I seem to have hit a financial wall. I know where I've gone wrong...holiday times really add to the grocery budget which has been one factor. In hindsight I should perhaps have graciously declined the group Sunday lunch a couple of weeks back but didn't want to let friends down. The knock on effect financially of the 2 factors has carried into this week. I had to get a decent food shop on Tuesday as I'd used up lots of cupboard staples such as flour, sugar, cereals etc over the Easter weekend. ( I do quite like the challenge of seeing what can be made with what one has in the cupboard.)

This week has also had a couple of extra expenses. One of the DDs had outgrown her school trousers, one needed new trainers and DS2 had outgrown his school shoes. I have been wearing boots all winter but they are rapidly falling apart so I ended up needing to get new shoes for work. Sometimes these things come all at once. I do have a growing emergency fund but it is a postal PO account which would probably take a week to access any money. This coming week has to be a super frugal week for me.
    paydbx #90 £275/£10,000.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 23rd Apr 17, 1:41 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    It sounds like a tough week . Good that it's a short month, I hope you're okay through the rest of it.

Know what you mean about things all coming at once... well done for the emergency fund though. If you need to dip into it, well, that's what emergency funds are for.
    30 days in June...
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 23rd Apr 17, 6:50 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    You'r e right Cherryfudge. I had been trying to get the EF to £500. I've got another £100 to go, but I guess it's better to dip into that and replace than get into further debt.

Spent time yesterday in minor injuries with DD2 who had managed to slip and hurt her ankle. Thankfully it was just a bad sprain rather than a break. Waiting in the MI reception gave me chance to sit and do nothing! The MI unit is close to a Home Bargains shop so I did nip in to stock up on shampoo and conditioner which is cheaper there.

Have planned a menu for the coming week to be as frugal as possible.
    Sun-Roast chicken
    Mon - chicken risotto
    Tues - Macaroni cheese
    Wed - children eat with the ex.
    Thurs - lasagne
    Fri - something on toast meal
    Sat - homemade pizza.

Am just thinking about doing a lemon meringue pie for dessert today, will use up the lemons I have. Will also try to get a decent amount of baking done. Will need to hide it though as a batch of vanilla muffins I made yesterday vanished by bedtime!
    paydbx #90 £275/£10,000.
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 23rd Apr 17, 9:21 AM
    • 558 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    MoneyMission
    Have planned a menu for the coming week to be as frugal as possible.
    Sun-Roast chicken
    Mon - chicken risotto
    Tues - Macaroni cheese
    Wed - children eat with the ex.
    Thurs - lasagne
    Fri - something on toast meal
    Sat - homemade pizza.
    Originally posted by Honeysucklelou2
    Hello! Just read your diary and I'm wowed by your energy! You're doing so well.
    Your menu plan looks remarkably similar to mine. Making a chicken risotto from left over roast chicken is a regular in this house. And macaroni cheese. And lasagne. And homemade pizza.

I also love reading about your garden exploits. I struggle to give up on plants even when I've got too many of them. Had forgotten about trying to sell any on though. Like you say, it all helps so I'll pot up some iris, the giant scabious and the echinops that I need to remove from the veggie bed where they've been overwintering, pot them up and stick them outside this afternoon.

Thank you for the inspiration.

MM
    MFW 2017 challenge (No.39) £2,833.00 / £3,450.00 (82.16%)
    MFW 2016 challenge (No. 39) £3,791.00 / £3,300.00 (114.88%)
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 27th Apr 17, 2:12 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Thank you for dropping by MoneyMission Glad you have felt inspired. I expect the irises in particular will be popular.

Busy at work but will be home today (Thurs) as the toddler has picked up a stomach bug. Hoping it doesn't spread to the rest of us. I spent Wed washing lots of bedding as the poor little lad was sick a few times through the night. While he was sleeping I did get the garden path swept and cleared up which made everything look better. Just mainly leaves that had been missed or fallen after the great Autumn leaf sweep and clearing weeds that have poked up through the edges of the paving slabs.

My pay slip arrived today and I'll be paid an extra £21 a month. Just wondering whether to up the S/o to my EF or whether to pay an extra £21 off a debt...
    paydbx #90 £275/£10,000.
    • BettyBones
    • By BettyBones 27th Apr 17, 7:44 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    BettyBones
    Each time I get a pay rise I up my pension contributions rather than throw it at my debt. I'm hoping my future self thanks me for it
    If you can dream it, you can do it - Walt Disney
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 27th Apr 17, 11:04 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Each time I get a pay rise I up my pension contributions rather than throw it at my debt. I'm hoping my future self thanks me for it
    Originally posted by BettyBones
    Wow - what a great idea! Thanks for that BettyBones, I'm going to give it serious thought.
    30 days in June...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

303Posts Today

4,018Users online

Martin's Twitter