Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 31st Dec 16, 4:05 AM
    • 664Posts
    • 2,634Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    From debt to freedom...
    • 31st Dec 16, 4:05 AM
    From debt to freedom... 31st Dec 16 at 4:05 AM
    For a couple of months I have been lurking and reading diaries which have been helpful and inspiring. I thought that I would start a diary to keep myself focussed on getting rid of the debts.

I am a working mum, recently separated from my husband. I have a large family which makes for an interesting and busy life! I have had a couple of LBMs in recent years and tried to stick to a budget. I had 2 loans totalling 17, 000 at one point. One loan was paid in Aug 2016 and the 2nd has just over £2,000 to go and is due to be paid off by August 2017.
    Other than that, I have a cc with a £475 balance, 2 home improvement loans ( for double glazing) that both have about £1700 outstanding. These have a horrible interest rate of 22%, so I'm eager to tackle these first.
Page 24
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Feb 18, 12:51 AM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 6,681 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Freezers do seem to create a certain amount of work, don't they? I've had freezers die on me a cople of times over the years and it feels like such a waste of food.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 11th Feb 18, 8:45 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 2,634 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    The waste was certainly frustrating. I isn't know what was in that freezer, I'm not sure the ex knew what was in it either, so I think it's time for lists on the front!

On a positive note, I was able to buy some seeds for 50p a packet at the agricultural suppliers, when I went to get chicken corn. I'm looking forward to getting those sown in the coming weeks.

On a not so positive note, I had a letter from the electricity supplier informing me that the monthly direct debit is rising from £105 a month to £112. Last year I thought we were doing well as I was able to get refunds twice as I'd overpaid. I can only put it down to having to use a tumble dryer. Last year I managed to dry everything using the line outside wherever possible and airers/round the fire/radiators but the line blew down in one of the last gales so I've not had that option and have been using the tumble dryer more this winter. I need to prioritise money for a new line when I'm next paid.
    paydbx #93 £483/£8,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3123 in Jan 18
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Feb 18, 11:10 AM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 6,681 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Do you have a couple of points in the garden between which you could string a straight washing line from the pound shop? I know a lot depends on the layout though.

Yay to seeds! I had almost decided not to try anything with the garden this year as I failed to find time last year and this looks like being the same, but I found I was trying to root a couple of cuttings so I have decided what's bred in the bone comes out in the flesh and I am one of those people who will garden if all I have is a jam jar to grow things in! I always love hearing about the things you grow. What's on the menu for this year?
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 11th Feb 18, 10:21 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 2,634 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Well...I have a couple of packets of sweet peas. I thought I'd try "Cupani" this year. A beautiful vivid purple and pink, slightly smaller flower but amazing fragrance. I have seeds for most hardy annuals such as Calendula, Nasturtium, Nigella and some half hardy flowers such as Cosmos, Bells of Ireland and Nicotiana. The Rudbeckias I planted last year are perennial so I'm looking forward to seeing those again! I have some sunflower seeds too.

Veg wise, I'm keen to grow a red and green lettuce mix, a cut and come again type. Tomatoes are on the menu, as are courgettes, sweet corn and beetroot. I'm counting myself as doubly blessed as I have a garden at work to cultivate as well, so am trying to keep good records to remember what I've sown and where!!
    paydbx #93 £483/£8,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3123 in Jan 18
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 11th Feb 18, 10:28 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 2,634 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Slightly busier day today after the lazy Saturday yesterday. DS1 wanted to go into the nearest town so I thought I'd make use of the journey by taking the other children and the dogs on a riverside walk. It was beautiful! The catkins were out in abundance and I saw the first primroses that I've seen of this year The air was cold yet bracing; one of those winter walks that always leaves you feeling energised.

We had chicken cobbler followed by carrot cake for the evening meal. I cooked the rescued gammon from the freezer, so the ex can collect that at some point soon.

I have lots of home jobs and work jobs that I want to get done during half term, so hoping to balance these with time with the children.
    paydbx #93 £483/£8,000.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th Feb 18, 12:06 AM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 6,681 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    It sounds as though spring is springing in your part of the world! How lovely. I have finally sighted snowdrops in my garden: they are in a sheltered spot but perhaps don't get enough daylight to encourage them.

I looked up 'Cupani' - what a glorious colour! I think it's the scent that makes them so desirable, though.

I ought to get some annual seeds both for my garden and to do a couple of hanging baskets for Mum's house. The hanging baskets will probably be nasturtiums, perhaps with something to give a bit of height in the middle. I also need to redo my wall baskets at home as the birds have pulled the lining to pieces!
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 12th Feb 18, 1:14 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 2,634 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    I do like the hardy annuals. I still have some of last summer's calendulas in flower, admittedly in a pot next to the house, but still flowering away. The nasturtiums lasted well into November too. Good value!
    paydbx #93 £483/£8,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 14th Feb 18, 8:52 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 2,634 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    I've had a busy couple of days, after my lazy Saturday. I've lost count of the loads of washing but good to catch up. The walls and ceiling of the hallway were washed down with sugar soap on Monday with a view to painting them before the end of the week. I bought the paint last year so no outlay needed now, I just lacked the time last year.

It has been lovely to enjoy cooking and baking over the last few days. We had egg and bacon pie with mashed potatoes and salad followed by homemade Chelsea buns on Monday. Yesterday we had a pancake fest. My children love pancakes so it's usually a 2lb flor/8eggs/4pints f milk mix and 3 frying pans on the go!!

Hoping to catch up on a few bits and pieces for work and keep up with the washing and sorting today. I'm trying to be strict with myself and recycle any clothes that the children have grown out of, whether that's passing down to a sibling or friend or recycling at a charity shop. Last week I took a big bin bag sized bag to the charity box so hoping to keep up the momentum.
    paydbx #93 £483/£8,000.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 14th Feb 18, 9:30 AM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 6,256 Thanks
    MeandO
    I know it's great to give to charity and pass things on HSL, but could you bundle up the clothes your children have grown out of and sell them on ebay for a few extra ££'s towards the debt? I do this with the better clothes DS grows out of and it does bring in a nice little sum which I usually pay towards the mortgage, savings or credit card.

It sounds like a very fun pancake day at your house! I'm so impressed by homemade chelsea buns too. You really do inspire me to bake more! Xx
    Mortgage Feb 2015: £102,000 Mortgage now: £77,600
    2018 OP's (aiming for £100pm): JAN:£129.26/£100 FEB:£272.53/£100
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 14th Feb 18, 3:02 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 2,634 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    That is a good idea MeandO. I try to put aside any from M and S or Next that I think have more chance if selling. TBH I had a couple of scares with EBay last year when I sold some football boots and the buyer claimed not to have received them. I ended up DD2 freeze framing ( or whatever the tech term is ) the PO webpage that proved they had been delivered on a certain date, then the buyer finally agreed that she had received them. It kind if left me feeling a little unsure of EBay. I must be brave!!!
    paydbx #93 £483/£8,000.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 15th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 6,256 Thanks
    MeandO
    Ebay can be a nightmare HSL, but if you make sure you always go for 2nd class signed for, that will cover you for a delivery signature.
    Failing that, I recently sold a bundle of clothes on a local FB selling page. I also used Gumtree for things too.

I love making little sales here and there, it always inspires me to dig out more things to make some extra £'s! Xx
    Mortgage Feb 2015: £102,000 Mortgage now: £77,600
    2018 OP's (aiming for £100pm): JAN:£129.26/£100 FEB:£272.53/£100
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 16th Feb 18, 1:27 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 2,634 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Ahhh that's a good idea for the postage. I'll make a note of that, thank you MeandO.

Today (Thurs) has been much better weather wise. I've got a fair amount done for work which needed doing. I worked until 4 ish then got out for a walk with DD 3, 4 and 5. We did a circular walk and enjoyed the change in weather.

Tea was homemade wedges and omelettes. I had forgotten how good a simple omelette can be! DD5, to my surprise, loves omelettes and was asking everyone if she could help them to finish their portion!!! Dessert was a summer fruit crumble made with the remainder of a large bag of frozen fruit.

Today was a NSD finally! The first for February
    paydbx #93 £483/£8,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 17th Feb 18, 8:32 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 2,634 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Yesterday was a lovely day, spent with my mum and grandmother. Spends yesterday included £50 on diesel ( should cover my trip to my mum's house and travel to work next week), £46 on groceries, £140 on nursery fees and £30 sent to DD1 for new sports boots needed for the sport she plays.

Today is set to be a busy day as I try to finish all the half term jobs on my list! Still have a few things to get done for Monday.

I have tried to get out for a decent walk every day over half term. I think I failed one day as it was constant horizontal drizzle, but I've definitely enjoyed getting outside more. Dec and Jan are more difficult to get out for walks when it's so dark. We live on the edge of a small village, so our walking routes are winding country lanes with few street lamps which limits winter walking to weekends. I'm looking forward to the lighter evenings.
    paydbx #93 £483/£8,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 18th Feb 18, 4:17 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 2,634 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Saturday did prove to be very busy! DS2 had a birthday party to go to. Thankfully this time it was an activity on a nearby farm so we were able to walk to it. I took the toddler and my parents' dog ( who is staying with us for a couple of weeks ) and thoroughly enjoyed the walk to the party and back. On the journey to pick him up, I took my dog, so both dogs walked by lunchtime. The dogs get on well together but walking them together with a pushchair is somewhat of nightmare as they are both big inquisitive dogs!

After the walks I took the youngest 5 swimming. I have had to spend a fair amount of time this week either doing job related work or catching up on housework so aside from walks, I didn't feel that I had done very much with them. The children all enjoyed the swim, especially the toddler, that I feel it was money well spent.

On our return, I got busy trying to fill the cake tins. Lemon & poppy seed muffins, meringue mincemeat tart, date slices and a coffee loaf cake were baked...let's see how long that lasts . I had run out of vanilla essence ( as had our local shop) so I quite enjoyed looking through the cupboards and deciding what could be made with the ingredients we had. I've used up a half jar ( large) of mincemeat which was good. We appear to have quite a few dates so the date bars are likely to be repeated in the coming days.
    paydbx #93 £483/£8,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 18th Feb 18, 4:33 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 2,634 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Spending on Sat

£16.20 swimming ( for 1 adult, 4 children...the toddler was free).
    £10 gift for birthday child.
    £7 corn for the poultry.
    £4.50 meat from the local butchers

I have been thinking about the budget. I sat down on Friday and planned the budget for the next month ( I admire those who can do the whole year ahead, but find I have too many incidental expenses that come up so tend to do a month at a time.) At the moment when my salary comes in, I earmark money for mortgage and utility bills/ council tax and then for the monthly car expenses ( road tax, insurance and AA). I make sure that my dad receives a payment for the money lent to me and any other debt repayments are accounted for. After that some is saved into the emergency fund but I'm just a bit concerned that I don't have a specific car maintenance pot. Any money for repairs tend to come from the EF whereas it would probably make better sense to have a designated pot and make due provision.

The other area I need to address is entertainment. I don't have a pot for that either, not that we do much that requires money. The NT membership is worth doing and we get a lot out of days at NT places. It is also worthwhile for the free parking at coastal spots. My spending tracker shows only the odd coffee with friends, but any spends tend to come out of whatever is left in the current account. It was good to take the children swimming so am wondering whether I can wiggle things about to be able to get a swim in perhaps every other week.
    paydbx #93 £483/£8,000.
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 18th Feb 18, 5:29 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 1,752 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    You are always posting at random times of the night/morning honeysuckle. I am taking inspiration from you and baking more, which was a little bit of a spend at first but was good yesterday as my eldest needed snacks for today for a packed lunch so we made choc chip brownies for her take and the rest will be taken on Monday in packed lunches.

With regard to your budget, this is something I thought about with all the incidental expenses with schools, kids etc and is why I have a £10 a day budget. I am lucky in that my budget allows this but it does help knowing that I have money to pay for things for the kids and has definitely been spent this last week with the kids being off for half term. Anything I don!!!8217;t spend at the end of each week, goes towards debts or savings for bits that we would like. Would your budget allow for something like this?
    Total debt Dec 2017 £23090.83 Feb 2018 £7675.3966.76% paid
    Debt no 3 £600/£1000
    Debt no 2 £0/£412.05 paid Feb ~ Debt no 1 £0/£593.29 paid Jan 2018
    Emergency fund £387.50/£600 ~ Total Savings £1036.29
    PAYDOBX2018 #97 £10114.82/£12,000
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 18th Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 2,634 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    That is a good idea to have an amount available to use and if not used to pay against a debt. I like that idea. My budget won't allow for £10 a day but if I plan carefully I think I could set aside £20 a week. I might need to curb the amount of journeys I'm doing in addition to work, which is usually to pick an older teenage child up from somewhere!

I have insomniac nights which is why my posts can range from 1am to 4am!
    paydbx #93 £483/£8,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 19th Feb 18, 12:01 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 2,634 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Today was spent mainly getting ready for the coming week after half term last week.

Tonight we had kedgeree. It's been a very long time since I made kedgeree, so I looked up a recipe online. I was so pleased that at long last the random pots of spices bought for school cookery lessons, finally came in useful!!! I had cardamom pods, turmeric and cinnamon sticks lurking in the cupboard. I was amazed at how enthusiastically DD2 was tucking into a fish dish. Apparently she has to try everything before they cook it, so has tasted squid and mussels and the like. Will definitely have to make that again. I only made it because I'd found some smoked haddock in the reduced section of the supermarket!

Today was a NSD bringing the total for February to 2.
    paydbx #93 £483/£8,000.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,464Posts Today

8,529Users online

Martin's Twitter