Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 31st Dec 16, 4:05 AM
    • 510Posts
    • 1,730Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    From debt to freedom...
    • 31st Dec 16, 4:05 AM
    From debt to freedom... 31st Dec 16 at 4:05 AM
    For a couple of months I have been lurking and reading diaries which have been helpful and inspiring. I thought that I would start a diary to keep myself focussed on getting rid of the debts.

I am a working mum, recently separated from my husband. I have a large family which makes for an interesting and busy life! I have had a couple of LBMs in recent years and tried to stick to a budget. I had 2 loans totalling 17, 000 at one point. One loan was paid in Aug 2016 and the 2nd has just over £2,000 to go and is due to be paid off by August 2017.
    Other than that, I have a cc with a £475 balance, 2 home improvement loans ( for double glazing) that both have about £1700 outstanding. These have a horrible interest rate of 22%, so I'm eager to tackle these first.
Page 2
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 19th Feb 17, 9:53 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,730 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Hi Zippygeorge. Thanks for dropping by.
    That's a good idea to ring the company. Will try and do that.

My DD did have a summer job last summer that she really enjoyed. I've been encouraging her to get in touch with the manager to see if she could secure some work this summer. She and DD2 are aware that finances are tight and that their dad hasn't been contributing for some time. That's not me telling them but DD2 watching and realising I was paying everything. DD1 is About to apply for her student loan for uni so I'm hoping then that I'll have a clearer idea of her budget, what I will need to contribute and being able to talk to her about the whole principle of budgeting.

Thanks for the encouragement!
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3206 in Oct 17
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 19th Feb 17, 10:56 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Hi honeysuckle, just dropping by to cheer you on everything seems to be going ok for you now, glad you are feeling better, I feel for you with the tooth issue, I am in the middle of dental work too.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 20th Feb 17, 12:53 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,730 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Hi Drawing a line, thank you for dropping by.

Today was taken up with household jobs. I did give up at one point, put the toddler in his wellies and we got sowing. He seemed to enjoy helping me to fill pots and seed trays. I repotted 3 lupins into larger pots, planted a red hot poker into a pot and sowed some nigella and snapdragons. These are a different variety to the ones I sowed a couple of weeks ago. This variety is very striking as its red on one side and a creamy colour on the other, aptly named "Night and day". Also unearthed a heater propogator that I'd bought a couple of years ago and hadn't got on well with it. I decided to move it so that it is near a sunny windowsill rather than the darker window it was near. We'll see if that makes a difference.

Was a NSD today which is somewhat a relief after recent days. Back to work tomorrow, packed lunches are done, so hopefully on track for another NSD tomorrow.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3206 in Oct 17
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 20th Feb 17, 5:12 AM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 10,071 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Sounds like a lovely day. I'm no gardener but I used to love sowing seeds etc with mine, they used to find it so fascinating! Must see if there's something easy I can plant in our garden this spring that they might enjoy growing.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 2nd Aug 17/DFD: £55,011.96/1st May 2025
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 20th Feb 17, 10:19 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 762 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Oh, so so jealous of your gardening. I am beyond rubbish. Was so excited to buy a house with a garden after always living in flats, only to discover I am a useless gardener and have zero interest in getting better! Not helped by our house being empty for two years before we moved in. I have plans for a nice minimum upkeep garden, just way down the list of things to use our limited funds on.......
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 20th Feb 17, 9:46 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,730 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Hi TReadingnplaymobil, thanks for dropping by! I do love this time of year, it's so hopeful, especially when you take small seeds and a few weeks later have the miracle of germination. I've found calendulas, cornflowers and sunflowers easy to grow with children. The different sized and shaped seeds make them easy to handle. They are all hardy annuals so will happil grow outside from March onward. Summer bulbs are useful too for splashes of colour.

Hi a Drawing a line, what is your garden like? What would you like it to be like? Have you thought about perennials that can be planted and come back year after year? Small shrubs like Euonymous can give colour that almost pales into the background in summer but really stands out and gives colour and shape to a winter garden....it's very low maintenance.

Back to work today. Was hoping for a NSD but we were running low on milk so had to get that. Lovely apple and summer fruits crumble for pudding using frozen berries from the allotment.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 26th Feb 17, 10:25 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,730 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Another busy week at work. Haven't unfortunately managed any NSDs. Thank you Zippygeorge for the advice last week. I got the computer company's number, explained the situation and they said they would refund the money in 5-7 days. I wouldn't have thought about speaking to them and asking for a refund, so thank you for your advice.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • kerron7
    • By kerron7 26th Feb 17, 11:24 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    kerron7
    Yay to your refund!

I had a small patch in my old house, potatoes, runner beans and rocket were a success but didn't really managed to grow anything else. I would love to try again but the house I'm in now is rented not sure they would appreciate me digging the garden up.

My DD1 is in her first year at 6th form so we will be thinking of uni at some point this year, how did she get so old!

Well done with your meal planning, really need to get back on track with mine.
    25.02.17 - £20,810.73
    03.06.17 - £19,222.94

Emergency Fund - £1/£500
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 26th Feb 17, 11:46 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,730 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Hi Kerron, thanks for dropping by!

Time has gone so quickly! DD1 has now been invited to an accommodation open day by one of the universities that have made her an offer. Am amazed that they do such a thing, but what a good idea! We didn't have chance to see accommodation on interview days so will be good to get an idea of what is available and the cost.

Can you grow some veg in pots? Have done runner beans and peas successfully in large pots. They just need a fair bit of watering. I'm going to write myself a list this week so that I sow one lot of seeds each day after work. Otherwise I find that March will be half way through and I won't have sown much at all! The camellias are a riot of colour in the garden at the moment. I really enjoy their colour against the grey of a February sky.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • kerron7
    • By kerron7 27th Feb 17, 7:33 AM
    • 209 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    kerron7
    That's really good, how far away from your home is the university? DD wants to be able to come home every night....she's a bit of a home bird, which would leave possibly 2 universities within a manageable travel distance, although she still doesn't know what career path she's wants to take.

Yes growing in pots is an option, I will have a think about it this week. You garden sounds lovely, mine is very dull at the moment.
    25.02.17 - £20,810.73
    03.06.17 - £19,222.94

Emergency Fund - £1/£500
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 27th Feb 17, 11:50 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,730 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    The university is about 200 miles away, so not a bad distance. I went 450 miles away so 200 miles doesn't seem too far! Am looking forward to seeing the place as I was ill when it was her interview so my parents took her.

It is hard isn't it for children to make decisions career wise? My Dd2 is really struggling to decide between different further ed options and DD3 doesn't know which GCSE options to do.

Simple pasta dish for evening meal. The children love pancakes so are very much looking forward to pancakes for tea tomorrow night. Made sure I stocked up on eggs and milk as we make huge amounts of mixture. Now that DD1 and 2 are older we take turns at the cooker!

Haven't made my NSD target for February Hope to be more organised in March. Do find having the NSD helps in thinking through organisation and limiting spending.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 28th Feb 17, 12:25 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Hi Honeysuckle, just wanted to let you know that I am reading and enjoying your diary. You have inspired me to start selling some of my succulent babies.

Best of luck with your Debt Free Journey. xx
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 28th Feb 17, 12:52 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,730 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Hi Velvetfreak thanks for dropping by.
    Glad that you have been inspired.
    Growing plants does get quite addictive doesn't it?!
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 28th Feb 17, 12:57 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,730 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Just completed spending tracker app for Feb. It's a free one I downloaded and have found it very helpful in recording transactions as I go through the month. It gives a bar chart or pie chart depending on which you prefer and I like the visual comparison of expenditure. Realised to my frustration that my food spending has crept up again. Work is a little tougher at the moment so I'm leaving feeling quite done in, then end up popping to the supermarket on the way home which is not helpful. Have bought food for the week and put diesel the car today so hope I can resist the supermarket for the rest of the week.

Sorted out budget for March, making sure I have extra for diesel for the uni accommodation trip.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 28th Feb 17, 1:19 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Growing plants is indeed quite addicting. I grow aquarium plants too, but I am greedy and would like to keep those for myself haha.

I can so relate with the groceries thing, that is an area where I really struggle. I'm tend to be an under-buyer, and I don't like keeping a backstock of anything, which tends to be problematic as I end up running out of toilet paper or cat food and it's a week til payday
    • kerron7
    • By kerron7 2nd Mar 17, 7:14 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    kerron7
    The university is about 200 miles away, so not a bad distance. I went 450 miles away so 200 miles doesn't seem too far! Am looking forward to seeing the place as I was ill when it was her interview so my parents took her.

It is hard isn't it for children to make decisions career wise? My Dd2 is really struggling to decide between different further ed options and DD3 doesn't know which GCSE options to do.

Simple pasta dish for evening meal. The children love pancakes so are very much looking forward to pancakes for tea tomorrow night. Made sure I stocked up on eggs and milk as we make huge amounts of mixture. Now that DD1 and 2 are older we take turns at the cooker!

Haven't made my NSD target for February Hope to be more organised in March. Do find having the NSD helps in thinking through organisation and limiting spending.
    Originally posted by Honeysucklelou2
    200 miles isn't too far I guess.

It is, I just left school got a job and that was it! DD is struggling with career options the only thing she enjoys is German! DS1 will be choosing his options the end of this year I think.

Hope you all enjoyed the pancakes, we had a few but not enough
    25.02.17 - £20,810.73
    03.06.17 - £19,222.94

Emergency Fund - £1/£500
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 3rd Mar 17, 2:24 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,730 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Pancake day was great. We went for the largest mixture yet...2.5 lb of flour, 10 eggs and 5 pints of milk. My lot are serious pancake eaters!!

Payday was on Tuesday. The loan repayment was paid on the 1st bringing the outstanding balance down to £1648. Starting to feel like I can see the end in sight with that one. When it's paid it will free up £290 a month to be able to throw at other debts.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 4th Mar 17, 10:52 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,730 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Had a pottering kind of Saturday. Had to get DS1 some new school shoes as his had worn out and were causing his feet to be wet when there were puddles/water on the ground. I think we did get £10 off the price but still £50 Since DS1 had had to come with me to get shoes, he had to come with me on the supermarket shop. I usually keep a running total in my head and commented that we'd spent about £40 at the half way point. His reaction was quite surprising. Usually he prefers to sit in the car and doesn't come in to the supermarket at all, He was genuinely shocked to realise what £40 of groceries looks like and the realisation that for a family of our size this does not last long. By the time we got to the cereal aisle he was urging me to just get 1!!

The toddler enjoyed being outside today while I sowed sweet peas, calendulas, nicotiana and rudbeckia. Sold one plant at the gate today which I am thankful for.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 5th Mar 17, 2:02 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,730 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Planned the menu before we went into the supermarket. Showed DS1 how to build a list for the supermarket based on the menu plan. We worked out
    Sat - Fish portions and oven chips
    Sun- Pasties
    Mon- Toad in the hole, mashed potatoes and veg
    Tues - Pasta
    Wed - Children eat with the ex.
    Thurs - Homemade pizza
    Fri- Pancakes. There's a birthday in our house and it's a tradition to have pancakes on birthdays!

Bought ingredients so hopefully on track to have a few NSDs.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • kerron7
    • By kerron7 5th Mar 17, 9:34 AM
    • 209 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    kerron7
    Had a pottering kind of Saturday. Had to get DS1 some new school shoes as his had worn out and were causing his feet to be wet when there were puddles/water on the ground. I think we did get £10 off the price but still £50 Since DS1 had had to come with me to get shoes, he had to come with me on the supermarket shop. I usually keep a running total in my head and commented that we'd spent about £40 at the half way point. His reaction was quite surprising. Usually he prefers to sit in the car and doesn't come in to the supermarket at all, He was genuinely shocked to realise what £40 of groceries looks like and the realisation that for a family of our size this does not last long. By the time we got to the cereal aisle he was urging me to just get 1!!

The toddler enjoyed being outside today while I sowed sweet peas, calendulas, nicotiana and rudbeckia. Sold one plant at the gate today which I am thankful for.
    Originally posted by Honeysucklelou2
    What a great idea I think I should do this with some of the older children, they definitely think money grows on trees.

Well done on your plant sale
    25.02.17 - £20,810.73
    03.06.17 - £19,222.94

Emergency Fund - £1/£500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,107Posts Today

6,757Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin