Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 31st Dec 16, 4:05 AM
    • 510Posts
    • 1,897Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    From debt to freedom...
    • 31st Dec 16, 4:05 AM
    From debt to freedom... 31st Dec 16 at 4:05 AM
    For a couple of months I have been lurking and reading diaries which have been helpful and inspiring. I thought that I would start a diary to keep myself focussed on getting rid of the debts.

I am a working mum, recently separated from my husband. I have a large family which makes for an interesting and busy life! I have had a couple of LBMs in recent years and tried to stick to a budget. I had 2 loans totalling 17, 000 at one point. One loan was paid in Aug 2016 and the 2nd has just over £2,000 to go and is due to be paid off by August 2017.
    Other than that, I have a cc with a £475 balance, 2 home improvement loans ( for double glazing) that both have about £1700 outstanding. These have a horrible interest rate of 22%, so I'm eager to tackle these first.
Page 13
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 23rd Sep 17, 9:24 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,897 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Thank you all for the good wishes for DD1. Had a busy day but hopefully got DD sorted out with everything she needs.I think it will hit me more when I drive home without her.

I'm thinking of a few ideas Spendless. The National Trust often have activities going on at half term. I have a family membership as it's always worked out to be cost effective as they charge one amount per family regardless of size. Even the savings on the car parking soon mounts up.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3206 in Oct 17
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 30th Sep 17, 2:54 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,897 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Had a really busy week since leaving DD at uni. She seems to be settling well and making new friends. Her lectures start next week so she'll have more of an idea of a timetable.

Yesterday was payday so I've paid £40 off the credit card. Now that the loan has gone and TCs restored I can start to use my wages to make payments to my family for the car. The double glazing payment goes out on Monday so will try and make an extra payment to start bringing the capital down. I've done a menu plan for the week:-
    Sat - Fish potions and oven chips
    Sun - Roast chicken
    Mon - Sweet and sour chicken with noodles.
    Tues - Lasagne
    Wed - DD's birthday so going out for a meal. I find celebrating on neutral ground less stressful.
    Thurs- Mixed grill
    Fri - pasties, requested by DS1,

Have got all ingredients in except the meat which I'll pick up on Tuesday.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3206 in Oct 17
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 30th Sep 17, 2:56 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,897 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    I've also decided to double the s/o to my postal savings account aka the emergency fund. I was paying in £25 as that was all I could do. Now that the loan is gone I'll redirect some of that money to build up the emergency fund, particularly important after recent depletions.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 30th Sep 17, 5:45 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 4,243 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    It's lovely to see things looking so positive! I know when DD went off to Uni, her best friend and I sat over a cuppa and commiserated with each other for hours! However, DD had a fabulous time and so did we when we visited. The little ones must find it a big adventure, too.

Meanwhile... you are forging ahead with the repayments! Well done .
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 1st Oct 17, 8:18 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,897 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Thank you for the encouragement Cherryfudge

Had a productive day yesterday. I spent a fair amount of time in the kitchen and made chocolate blueberry muffins, vanilla muffins, banana loaf and a carrot cake. Being away last weekend meant I hadn't quite caught up with myself on the housework / baking. Hopefully this will keep the tins replenished for a while!

Can't quite believe it's October already. I do love September and October for the lovely colours all around. Off to pick the last of the calendulas to brighten up the kitchen!
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 1st Oct 17, 9:29 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,897 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    A bit of a wet and chilly day today,so a bit difficult to get the washing dry. I gave in this afternoon and got a fire lit so the washing is slowly drying on the airer.

DD3 and I harvested 5 pounds of Bramley apples from the tree in the garden and made an extra large apple amber...a perfect autumn pudding!
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 2nd Oct 17, 6:08 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hey honeysucklelou, thought I'd come on over, well done on paying off the loan! Gives you a little bit of wiggle room. Another one here who struggled drying the washing! So annoying isn't it! I'm waiting for it to be colder so the woodburner can be lit and the washing can actually dry! Have a lovely day.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 2nd Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 5,728 Thanks
    MeandO
    Glad to hear things are looking up for you at the moment HSL and that things are a bit easier with the tax credits and loan gone. Your baking and fruit picking sounds just wonderful. Life's simple pleasures really are the most rewarding.
    Hope you have a lovely week ahead xx
    Savings: £1000/£2000
    Mortgage Feb 2015: £102,000
    Mortgage now: £78,380

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" - Anais Nin
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 2nd Oct 17, 10:11 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,897 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Thanks for dropping by Missy Moo.

Thank you for your kind wishes MeandO.

Not being under such huge financial pressure has certainly made a difference, but also taught me so much. All the D/DS and S/Os have gone out today so I'm thankful that the monthly bills are paid. I have DD3's school trip to London to pay for next but should be able to clear that by the end of the week. I've paid in chunks to make it more manageable for myself.

The toddler has not been terribly well this evening so I'm hoping that it's something that will pass with a good night's sleep.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 4th Oct 17, 9:42 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,897 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Thankfully the toddler's health picked up after a good night's sleep. I was very glad to see him back to his energetic self!

Today is DD3's birthday so we went out for a meal (less stress and it means the ex and I can both mark the occasion with her, even if at opposite ends of the table.) I had budgeted £100 for the birthday. The ex did pay for half of the meal, which was a positive. It was really odd to be celebrating a birthday without DD1 with us but at least she was able to chat with DD3 by phone this evening.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 5th Oct 17, 8:58 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,897 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    I've had such a lovely day at work...one of those days where things flowed well and exceeded all expectations! I've had a NSD too which Is always a good thing.

On Tuesday I was able to finish paying for DD3's school trip. She is off to London in December, so glad that is all paid for and out of the way. I have a day off tomorrow so hoping to catch up on house and garden and potter with the toddler.

DS and I were walking near the allotment and spotted two deer grazing in a nearby field. It was so beautiful, we were stood there for a few minutes just watching them. I've never seen deer there before...a really special moment.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 5th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Aw Hun sounds like you had an amazing day! Well done for paying off the trip too! I hope you have a lovely evening to top off your day x
    Last edited by missymoo81; 07-10-2017 at 5:41 AM.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 7th Oct 17, 12:44 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,897 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Thank you Missymoo.

The weather has been dry here today so I've been able to dry 2 loads of washing including a load of towels, so am very happy to have been able to fold it all and put it away. Drying wet washing in front of the fire, as I did last weekend, gets a bit tricky.

I did meet a couple of friends for coffee today so spent a little on the coffee though I did have the smallest possible.

I did ring HMRC today to ascertain what the position is about the money they said I had to repay. Unfortunately this is still the case. I'm still not quite sure why but they won't apply /allow for the fact that whether a joint or single claim, according to their calculators, I'd be entitled to the money I received between Oct and July. So I have to repay. They did say at this stage that 50% would be sought from me and the rest from the ex. I've felt quite gutted really that it's a case of one step forward and two or three back. Gone back to the stomach churning feelings of the summer. I can't fault the man from HMRC I was talking to. He said that they have seen this situation before and he did seem genuinely sympathetic but their rules and ways of doing things are as they are and it will have to be repaid.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 7th Oct 17, 5:46 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Late night for you honeysuckle. That's rubbish about the repayments. I know there's rules to follow,but if would have still been entitled to the money, it seems ridiculous! Bless you.

Well done for getting your washing dry. I have lots to do today again!
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 8th Oct 17, 7:35 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,897 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    I was hoping that yesterday would have been a NSD but I had to get two parcels sent up to DD1. Both contained clothes that she had forgotten to pack! So £6 spent on postage. DD5 has her birthday later in the month and is very keen to have a party. We have a farm park type place that is a short drive away so I've paid a deposit and booked a party. She can only have 10 friends as a maximum and she knows it is a BIG treat. She went there last year and has spent the whole year talking about it and wanting to go again, so it's booked. We don't go on days out to such places except for the younger children's birthdays.

I had what felt like a huge baking session yesterday. Made pasties for tea as per DS1's request and topped up the snack tins with vanilla muffins and chocolate blueberry muffins. I also made a sponge that is a belated cake for DD3. With work being so busy I didn't get a cake done midweek for her actual birthday so will decorate today and we'll eat later. I had the idea of trying to do a nail varnish bottle as her cake design. I have some pink fondant icing, so will try and sandwich the layers of sponge together with jam or butter icing and wrap the pink around it. The top might have to be a utilised kitchen utensil!

I have started to try and do a main shop on my day off now, My day off coincides with a new tax credit payment day so makes sense. This week the menu is

Sat - pasties
    Sun - Sausage and cider casserole
    Mon - macaroni cheese, garlic bread and salad
    Tues - Tuna plait and jacket potatoes
    Wed - children eat with the ex
    Thurs - Lasagne

Hopefully just a couple of batches of muffins should keep packed lunch boxes filled.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 8th Oct 17, 7:40 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,897 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Also made a Dutch apple cake which went down well last Autumn. I was given a bucket of apples that I need to use and peel and chop the remainder for the freezer which I must do today. I hate seeing apples go to waste.

Years ago I won a book in a raffle called "Bake" which has been invaluable for recipes such as the Dutch apple cake . Recipes that don't cost much to make but ideas to do, to put in the oven at the same time that something else is cooking. Might have to see if DD3 feels like making biscuits. There is a simple recipe for lemon and poppy seed biscuits which sounds good.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • Busy Mee1
    • By Busy Mee1 8th Oct 17, 7:47 AM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,729 Thanks
    Busy Mee1
    Hi Honeysuckle just wanted to drop in and say hi and thank you for the great hyacinth idea on TOPMs thread.

I am really sorry about your TC situation and wonder whether it would be worth talking to CAB about it. I think you said that when your husband first left you were unsure that he had gone for good , so that your official separation date could actually be deemed as later ? I certainly think it might be worth a chat to CAB. They may be able to help negotiate a smaller repayment figure. Good luck with it, it seems really unfair x
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 8th Oct 17, 7:54 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,897 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Hi Busy Mee1, thanks for dropping by.

My dad suggested the same thing when I was chatting to him about it. I'll have to look into it and see if I can get an appointment on my next day off.
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 8th Oct 17, 8:12 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hi Honeysuckle just wanted to drop in and say hi and thank you for the great hyacinth idea on TOPMs thread.

I am really sorry about your TC situation and wonder whether it would be worth talking to CAB about it. I think you said that when your husband first left you were unsure that he had gone for good , so that your official separation date could actually be deemed as later ? I certainly think it might be worth a chat to CAB. They may be able to help negotiate a smaller repayment figure. Good luck with it, it seems really unfair x
    Originally posted by Busy Mee1
    That's actually a really valid point. Definitely go hun, would really help your situation.

Can I be really cheeky, can I have the poppyseed and lemon biscuits recipe and maybe the Dutch apple cake? I too have a bucket of apples that I need to use!

Love your enthusiasm, you're an inspiration. X
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 8th Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 1,897 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Of course!

Dutch apple cake

2 eggs
    6 oz sugar
    1/2 tsp vanilla essence
    3oz butter
    21/2 floz milk
    1 tsp mixed spice
    2 tsp baking powder
    5 oz plain flour
    2 apples

Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla essence until the mixture is thick and mousse like. Melt the butter in a saucepan with the milk. Pour into the eggs whisking all the time. Sift and fold in the flour, spice and baking powder. Pour into an 8" square tin that has been lined with grease proof paper. Peel and chop the apples and drop into the mixture. The mixture should be quite batter like and the apple will sink to the bottom when cooking. Sprinkle a little caster sugar on the top of the mixture to give a slight crunch. Bake for 10 mins at 200c, then reduce heat to 180c for about 20 mins. I usually put everything in at 190c and check it when I can smell it, which works well. I always forget what time I put it in because I've usually gone on to deal with the next thing on my list, so rely on the smell check!!
    paydbx #90 £475/£10,000.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,112Posts Today

7,023Users online

Martin's Twitter