Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 31st Dec 16, 12:04 AM
    • 16,090Posts
    • 59,785Thanks
    mum2one
    Santas challenge 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 12:04 AM
    Santas challenge 2017 31st Dec 16 at 12:04 AM
    A warm welcome to old and new friends.

What is Santas challenge...

We're a lovely thread, may be small but we're good... I know Christmas happens every year, yet by planning throughout the year this can take off some of the financial pressure of finding everything last minute, spread the tasks throughout the year.

It's not just about Christmas, it's birthdays, Easter, Valentine's Day,x cleaning those kitchen cupboards, having a general moan about life, yet being there as well.

The great plan is for a challenge on the 24th of the month, so that by Christmas Eve we are all ready and can sit back and relax...

A big welcome to everyone. Xx
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 30/50
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Page 7
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 3rd Mar 17, 3:46 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 859 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    I've just ordered mine from Mr T...hate having them lying around for ages BUT love the savings especially as I need 12 plus my own kids
    365 day penny challenge - £55.65/£667.95
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £205.80/£650 Stage 1
    • chanie
    • By chanie 3rd Mar 17, 7:01 PM
    • 1,469 Posts
    • 6,633 Thanks
    chanie
    I've just ordered mine from Mr T...hate having them lying around for ages BUT love the savings especially as I need 12 plus my own kids
    Originally posted by foxyloxy11
    If I could, I'd only buy eggs for my own children but I know that Mr C will want go buy eggs for our nieces and nephews. I'm going to make up some little Easter party bags, which I can do for about £1 each.

crazy cat I've heard of Ali Express, although I've never used them, so maybe I'll have another look.

My handbag hook arrived and I'm pleased with that. I've ordered my Mum a travel wallet, which should be arriving next week, so that will be my mum sorted for Xmas.
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £235.36
    April food budget - £30(groceries) £0 (Costco)
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 4th Mar 17, 7:18 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 859 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    Went to a local post office to buy a card and didn't realise that it was closing down. All the Hallmark cards were 10 for a £1!!!!! so 40 cards later.......
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 4th Mar 17, 7:51 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Thats a brilliant bargain on the cards foxyloxy.....wish I was that lucky!
    Only had a couple of £1 eggs stored away but keep eating them........must get some willpower from somewhere
    Have cashed out a £5 voucher to get a big egg for my daughter. Originally she was only getting a small egg and some other stuff but I know she will really like the egg with the goodies ready for uni, and with having the voucher it will mean that I only need to spend a £1
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 309.81
    • chanie
    • By chanie 4th Mar 17, 8:57 PM
    • 1,469 Posts
    • 6,633 Thanks
    chanie
    Went to a local post office to buy a card and didn't realise that it was closing down. All the Hallmark cards were 10 for a £1!!!!! so 40 cards later.......
    Originally posted by foxyloxy11
    That's a great deal. It's definitely worth stocking up on cards as they can be so expensive otherwise.
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 6th Mar 17, 9:32 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 1,110 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Woo. Lucky you on the cards. That's amazing. Sad for the post office, but a great bargain is a great bargain.

There are some good Easter egg offers on but I daren't buy so early. Every year we end up getting them in and then eating 2 and then 4 and then..then restocking. The baby doesn't get one. Must be good and get her a toy instead. I'm a chocoholic. Not having her start at such a young age! Niece and nephew get one and we always et each other one. But apart from that, the other 10 or so we get are usually just eaten by us. So I'll wait a while. If I can. There's something about Easter eggs that tastes so good.

Had a good deal on nappies at boots. They were 3 packs for £6. But there was a glitch where with a code you got the 3 for £1.60. Saw it on hot deals. So I got 9 big packs of nappies for under £5. They honoured it and I have to work out how I'm going to collect them from the store and get them home now.
    Same as Amazon had a glitch on sudocrem 250g pots last month. 31p instead of £5 each. They honoured it and we have 2kg of sudocrem for £2.48. It was only up for about 5 minutes but we snuck in in time. It's rare I manage it. So was doing a happy dance.
    Cat blankets crocheted for local rescue: 4/12
    Read a book a week: 9/52. Currently "Rome is where the heart is".
    • chanie
    • By chanie 8th Mar 17, 6:53 PM
    • 1,469 Posts
    • 6,633 Thanks
    chanie
    I've ordered my Mum a travel wallet, which should be arriving next week, so that will be my mum sorted for Xmas.
    Originally posted by chanie
    The travel wallet arrived and I'm really pleased with it. That's the first person I can fully cross off my Xmas list!!
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 8th Mar 17, 10:13 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    I get all prepared early buying presents that I know friends and family will like, saving money in the process buying throughout the year and in sales, but am I any good at sending those that need to be sent.......nope........and I'm still hunting out one of my brother's presents.
    A family member has an important birthday tomorrow and I've only just packaged up the presents(combined with presents from my mum and the rest of our side)
    Real life isn't being very kind at the minute, but at least I don't have to pay postage-can use the stamps I've saved from the RM surveys
    Chanie do you mind me asking where you got the travel wallet from please? My sis-in-law is a traveller and I'm just thinking what a great present this would be for her
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 309.81
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 8th Mar 17, 10:19 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    forgot to say C-C-L......cracking bargains on the nappies and sudocrem......a real money saver. I love it when you can jump on a glitch, i'm not always quick enough.
    I've also eaten my original Easter eggs bought, daughter wanted to go to Tesc@s today to take advantage of their offer on the large eggs. quite a few people were doing it. I ended up buying for the family, all hidden away safe, if they're out of sight they stand a better chance of surviving!!!!!
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 8th Mar 17, 10:48 PM
    • 16,090 Posts
    • 59,785 Thanks
    mum2one
    I've had to hide the Easter eggs in the wardrobe.... otherwise there get set.

Tidying around earlier and found body shop bag.... stuff brought for friends bday... completely forgot about it, stocked up when they had the big sale... so now hav her bday and Xmas done.

Mother's Day present next.... my mum wants knickers.... so knickers it will be!

Slowly catching up, had my uncle in hospital last week, the big c.... not helped as he has dementia, been running my aunt around, popping miss hoodie to a party sat ngt, popped to hospital.... he had 2 falls in hospital, he's home now

This weekend... need to find my Xmas list, as need to update the computer and see what we need....

Xx
    Last edited by mum2one; 08-03-2017 at 11:59 PM.
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 30/50
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 9th Mar 17, 9:48 AM
    • 2,983 Posts
    • 7,801 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    mum2one - Sorry to hear that your Uncle is ill.

Everyone else, well done on all the bargains!

I am sitting at home waiting on 2 deliveries of Christmas presents, once they arrive I can cross 2 off my Christmas list as complete - yay!

Dxxx
    Goals
    Debt free by Christmas 2017
    Save for Christmas 2017
    Goal weight of 10st 7lbs by Christmas
    Add to deposit savings
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 9th Mar 17, 6:02 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Finally sending out birthday presents for March. This is my only time of the year apart from Christmas that I really need to send a few presents out.
    A bit of a comedy of errors getting the landmark birthday parcel sent, but its now on its way.
    Mum2one, I'm sorry to hear about ur uncle and hope he will be more comfortable now he is home
    Dollyrocker- sounds like you are doing great with your Christmas presents aswell. There is nothing like that feeling of completing someone on your list
    • chanie
    • By chanie 9th Mar 17, 7:36 PM
    • 1,469 Posts
    • 6,633 Thanks
    chanie
    Chanie do you mind me asking where you got the travel wallet from please? My sis-in-law is a traveller and I'm just thinking what a great present this would be for her
    Originally posted by Happy Kitties
    I looked around loads for travel wallets, but there aren't many places that do them.

Aspinall - they have a beautiful one, but that's well over £100. That was out of my budget (nor sure about yours, but I thought I'd let you know in case you want go spend that much!!!!)

Cath kidston - they have one for £20, which is in the same style and material as their bags. I nearly bought one, but wanted leather.

EBay - I bought MIL a travel wallet from a brand called golunski. It's real leather and they had lots of colours and two different styles. These were £20. If I'm honest, I don't think the quality is brilliant.

Not on the high street - had a nice selection. I bought my mum one for £40, in metallic rose gold and I'm pleased with the quality.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 10th Mar 17, 1:45 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Many thanks Chanie for the information, really much appreciated.
    Aspinall-out of my budget range aswell, but really impressed with the Not on the High Street selection. ended up getting for my sis-in-law and my niece, really lovely selection and ideal presents for them both.It's a landmark birthday for my niece this year and I'm really trying to buy her presents that she will use and will really mean something to her aswell.
    Many thanks again Chanie, as I know it is something they will use and love

Back on track with sending birthday presents out-March is def the worst month for this,but I was conscious that the next parcel to send was for some younger members of the family so really wanted to make sure this parcel arrived in time-hopefully it will.
    Nothing going on on the Christmas front, I think the next thing to sort will be mum's day. have chocs already but need to buy perfume or a plant for the garden for my mum. knowing my mum she will want a take away. I'm on a course on the day, but I think will be an ideal solution and I will be able to spend time with my mum and daughter
    • chanie
    • By chanie 10th Mar 17, 7:44 PM
    • 1,469 Posts
    • 6,633 Thanks
    chanie
    happy kitties I'm pleased I could help. That's what I love about this thread!!!

Most people don't have travel wallets, so it's probably something your SIL and niece won't have.

Mine is about 10 years old and I bought it before having my family - it's not designed for 4 passports so it's a bit if a squeeze. I'd love the aspinall one, but I don't go away enough to justify the cost.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 11th Mar 17, 7:55 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Chanie, you may just have finished off my daughter's Christmas present aswell!!
    I've wanted something to go with another present I already have for my daughter for Christmas.I showed her what I had ordered last night and I could see her very interested so now I'm thinking of ordering her one aswell to finish off her Christmas present. we don't travel alot, short breaks away, but my daughter will be going off to uni this year and a friend has asked if we would like to go to Prague before Christmas again this year for a couple of days, so thought it would be a nice gift for my daughter and something personal to her. really chuffed, thank you again xx
    Last edited by Happy Kitties; 11-03-2017 at 7:55 AM. Reason: spelling
    • chanie
    • By chanie 12th Mar 17, 7:05 PM
    • 1,469 Posts
    • 6,633 Thanks
    chanie
    happy kitty your trip to Prague could be a good opportunity to pick up some bargain presents.

how do you wrap your gifts?

I normally wrap presents in whatever cheap and cheerful wrapping paper I can find. This year, I want to be a bit more creative do something a bit different with everyone's presents.

Does anyone do anything special with wrapping?
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 13th Mar 17, 3:18 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 859 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    I like to look on Pinteresty to check out new and unusual ways to wrap pressies. they have some good ides.
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 14th Mar 17, 5:34 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 859 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    Just bought 2 yankee burner with 3 tartlets for £6.12 each on Amazonia!! They were in Clintons for £20 at xmas and then £9.99 in sale so thought I got a bargain at that price.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 15th Mar 17, 7:43 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Chanie-my travel wallets arrived today, couldn't believe how lovely the designs and quality were in real life. Thinking of giving my niece's her travel wallet early as I won't see her on her landmark birthday, she will be away for a 6 month placement. I know the wallet is something she will absolutely be thrilled with and will make good use of
    When me and my daughter went to Prague before this Christmas, we took rucksacks and did take a suitcase, but not a hard shell one. we planned to bring gingerbread back but didn't expect to bring back the baubles we did. it was nearly mission impossible, one rucksack completely full of baubles,but we got some really beautiful ones that were unusual and a really good price. my mum has already given me a list of baubles that she wants bringing back this year so will definately know better on the luggage front! Had a really fab time though.

I'm rubbish at wrapping presents, have to do it throughout the year as I would have a meltdown if I had to do it all at once. stick to colour schemes but other than that......I am rubbish
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,107Posts Today

11,967Users online

Martin's Twitter