Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    • 16,140Posts
    • 59,990Thanks
    mum2one
    Santas challenge 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    Santas challenge 2017 31st Dec 16 at 1:04 AM
    A warm welcome to old and new friends.

What is Santas challenge...

We're a lovely thread, may be small but we're good... I know Christmas happens every year, yet by planning throughout the year this can take off some of the financial pressure of finding everything last minute, spread the tasks throughout the year.

It's not just about Christmas, it's birthdays, Easter, Valentine's Day,x cleaning those kitchen cupboards, having a general moan about life, yet being there as well.

The great plan is for a challenge on the 24th of the month, so that by Christmas Eve we are all ready and can sit back and relax...

A big welcome to everyone. Xx
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 43/50
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Page 20
    • chanie
    • By chanie 10th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 1,816 Posts
    • 9,174 Thanks
    chanie
    I bought DD some pjs for Xmas and I couldnít find them at Christmas. As we donít have lots of storage, the majority of items are kept in 1 or 2 places, but I couldnít find them anywhere. It turns out, theyíd fallen out of the back of the drawer Iíd put them in. At least I found them before she grew out of them.

Happy kitties I have a similar approach to you in how I record Xmas. I keep a log of what Iíve bought and how much it costs. This year, Iíve done it proper Ďbullet journal styleí and Iíve drawn gift boxes for everyone and Iím going to colour them in and add bows etc as I complete their gifts. I also have a page for gift ideas.
    Iím going to keep a list specifically for gift ideas for OH so that I can point people in the right direction. He gets bought lots of generic man gifts, which end up in the charity shop, so it will be nice for him if I can help facilitate some good gifts for him.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £137.66
    Live more - £70.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 11th Jan 18, 8:18 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,297 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    In terms of stocking up. If we havenít all gone mad enough to last three years in this yearís sale.
    Carr factory usually have a good deal on quite cute bags from November onwards. Usually about 5 small, 3 med or 2 large (very large) for £1. Different designs. Seen this for a few years now.

The works too. I got some bits in the sale this year but can see the original prices. 3 set of different sizes pillow gift boxes for £1. Very nice. And an 8 pack of folding gift boxes for £3. Nice is you make mini Christmas Eve boxes for anyone.

Managed to find another box of crackers yesterday. A pound for 12. So thatís three boxes in. One posh and two standard. So Iím good for a while. Really didnít need it, but they donít have anything that expires and itíll save me money in the long run.
    Got to go back up in the attic and start another box of Christmas bits with the window stickers and decorations I got for 10p the other day. Iím sure Iíll have an attic full of nothing but Christmas soon.

I do the buying a bit for Christmas with weekly shopping too. Usually from Sep onwards..letís be honest, things are in the shops then. Dates are good and whenever they have anything Iíll use on offer and I can go away. At least starting a few months early youíll see everything on offer once or twice to pick up cheap.
    Cat blankets crocheted for local rescue: 5/12
    Read a book a week: 17/52. Current book. "How I lived on a pound a day".
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 12th Jan 18, 11:33 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 3,315 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    CCL you've done really well with getting bits to put away. I got extra Christmas paper this year so I could use the metallic in it for birthdays.

Chanie its a good job you found the pyjamas. It drives me crazy when I cant find something. I have certain places I stash things but when u go hunting and still cant find, its frustrating!

Well DD went back to uni today. Sent her off with snack bags full of reduced Christmas goodies I've managed to pick up when shopping. Was lucky enough to pick up tins of quality street for £1.25 each. Sent 3 tins and reduced crisps for DD boyfriend aswell. Will buy the odd item to put away now for when DD comes home for Easter, she is like a beaver through the cupboards!!
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=253.02
    • chanie
    • By chanie 14th Jan 18, 7:02 PM
    • 1,816 Posts
    • 9,174 Thanks
    chanie
    Ooo yes, I need to start thinking about Easter now.
    Spend less - £137.66
    Live more - £70.05
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 14th Jan 18, 8:56 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,297 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Ooo yes, I need to start thinking about Easter now.
    Originally posted by chanie
    Snap. When is it this year? I havenít even looked. I bet it wonít be long before the supermarkets all start up the 3 big Easter eggs for £5 type deals.
    I have to be good this year. Just started slimming world. Usually we get a few eggs ďto put away for EasterĒ and then eat them..almost immediately. Got to get for niece and nephew. My little one isnít having much chocolate. I got one of those giant, hollow plastic egg things a while back. So can fill it with presents and a bit of chocolate and re -use it every year.
    Cat blankets crocheted for local rescue: 5/12
    Read a book a week: 17/52. Current book. "How I lived on a pound a day".
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 14th Jan 18, 11:11 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 3,315 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    I can't believe some supermarkets are stocking creme eggs and mini eggs already.

Mind you it isn't that long until half term so Easter will soon be here at this rate -nearly the middle of Jan already, it normally goes so slow
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=253.02
    • chanie
    • By chanie 15th Jan 18, 5:50 PM
    • 1,816 Posts
    • 9,174 Thanks
    chanie
    I just think that Easter eggs are such a waste of money. OF course, we will buy eggs for our children, but I really don't want to buy them for anyone else. OH always decides at the last minute to buy eggs for the DN's and by the time he decides to do this, only the expensive ones or rubbish ones are left.

We can afford to treat our DNs to an Easter Egg, but the thought of wasting money on them for anyone other than our children gives me an irrational rage.

I think I will buy some when they are on offer and put them away.
    Spend less - £137.66
    Live more - £70.05
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 16th Jan 18, 10:28 AM
    • 415 Posts
    • 3,315 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    I'm going to wait until the easter eggs are on offer. I hate doing it as they never bother with us but my mum likes for me to get an egg for my DB, sis in law and DN in the hope it will keep the peace in a very dysfunctional family.
    I will get for DN, DD and her boyfriend, DM but I am refusing for anyone else as it gets stupid.......plus I eat them!!
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 17th Jan 18, 1:27 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 3,315 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Going to buy sellotape I passed a shop I never ever go in but they had sale items out. decided to go in and have a quick look. Picked up a fab birthday present for March- a metal construction set where you build ur own vehicle down from £5 to £2.50. Made my day as it is the perfect present and will save me time hunting around for something.
    Doing really well with birthdays, my main thing I will need to think about is mothers day as my mum was not happy about receiving more pyjamas at Christmas, its all anyone buys her and her house is slowly filling up with pjs!!
    • chanie
    • By chanie 17th Jan 18, 8:00 PM
    • 1,816 Posts
    • 9,174 Thanks
    chanie
    Have you any ideas about what you will get your mum?

We have a steady stream of birthdays throughout the year. Most of OHs family have birthdays during the first half of the year and my family is towards the end of the year. I don’t worry so much about birthdays as they are only 1-2 every month.
    Spend less - £137.66
    Live more - £70.05
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

84Posts Today

3,913Users online

Martin's Twitter