Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    • 16,137Posts
    • 59,973Thanks
    mum2one
    Santas challenge 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    Santas challenge 2017 31st Dec 16 at 1:04 AM
    A warm welcome to old and new friends.

What is Santas challenge...

We're a lovely thread, may be small but we're good... I know Christmas happens every year, yet by planning throughout the year this can take off some of the financial pressure of finding everything last minute, spread the tasks throughout the year.

It's not just about Christmas, it's birthdays, Easter, Valentine's Day,x cleaning those kitchen cupboards, having a general moan about life, yet being there as well.

The great plan is for a challenge on the 24th of the month, so that by Christmas Eve we are all ready and can sit back and relax...

A big welcome to everyone. Xx
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 43/50
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Page 17
    • chanie
    • By chanie 27th Nov 17, 7:30 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 8,541 Thanks
    chanie
    I think we cross posted. Yes, I did manage to get the TV for DS today.

How annoying for your family to drop in on you like that. My in laws are ‘go with the flow’ types and I’m the opposite, so it drives me mad, as I like to know plans in advance and that those plans will be stuck to. Still, at least you’ve told them you won’t be in.

My ‘savings’ challenge is a little personal challenge I do, where I try and reduce the cost of anything I buy. This could be through buying in the sales,using a discount code or loyalty points. It’s similar to what you do for Christmas, but I include all purchases.

The ideal solution is just not to spend any money, but we have a growing family, so there is always ‘something’ involving spending. My thinking is,
    ‘If I have to spend, try to get it as cheap as possible’.
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £867.18
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 28th Nov 17, 11:37 AM
    • 374 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    chanie we definately cross posted!

I'm with you with Black Friday. I'm so glad that u got a tv for DS. I've been looking for a coat that is practical for Prague-it will be an early Christmas present. The budget I was given, couldn't find anything at all but in the Black Friday sales I found a lovely Regatt# jacket that when i checked it out not only was it something that would suit me perfectly but did have savings on it. I think if you are after something definite, do the research then there are definite bargains to be had with Black Friday although I couldn't bear to go to the shops with it.

I'm sure the Christmas pud will be lovely.

2nd parcel was posted today and some Christmas cards dropped off at my mum's. I think DM is getting a little upset at the lack of thought within the family this year, that DB is taking advantage. It is causing some issues.

Brilliant savings and I'm the same, if I have to spend I want as much as possible for my money, and will make savings wherever possible to maximise this.

I hope everyone's Christmas preparations are going well, i never totally stuck to my target of being completed within mid November, but the end of November is looking good!
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • chanie
    • By chanie 28th Nov 17, 8:46 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 8,541 Thanks
    chanie
    Well done on the coat savings. I’m sure it will be lovely and toasty for Prague. Totally agree about doing research before the sales. I also bought a backpack on Black Friday. It was something I’ve been eyeing up for a few months and I’m delighted it was half price.

I think your goal of getting everything done by the beginning of December is a good one. Mid-nov doesn’t feel quite right to me! At least you can have a relaxing December knowing it’s all done.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 1st Dec 17, 6:47 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Nearly all my cards posted and all of my parcels were posted except DD now wants me to pop something in in the post from her spare present stash for a friend at uni who has been upset, so with another friend they're planning a few cheer me up presents. Will do this on Monday with the last of my cards

I'm impatient as I now have to wait for DD to finish uni before the tree can go up-not until the 15th I can't get to the bits, DD offered to get them out ready for me to put the tree up today but I said I refuse to put it up without her........even if she does get bored in the middle and I'm left to finish decorating it At least I can get on with tidying up the living room, there has been bits everywhere with the decorating
    chanie I would have been well chuffed with the backpack and the savings. Thats the sort of thing I would do, I would have been eyeing it up aswell to keep an eye on the price!!

Made the most of the sparks offer £10 off coats and jackets at m#s. DD didn't want anything so I bought myself a nice fleece to go under my jacket for Prague for only £5. DD will pick it up along with other half price goodies I've bought for next year-Christmas and birthdays

I cannot believe it is December, November went in a flash.

I hope everyone's preparations are coming along well. Can't believe 2 weeks on Sunday i go to Prague-DD is already talking gingerbread and baubles!!

2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 3rd Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 8,541 Thanks
    chanie
    Prague must be wonderful at this time of year. What a great way to get in the mood for Christmas.

Happy kitties i know you are looking forward to putting up your tree, we never put ours up until the second week of December. It stems back from my parents not putting up the tree until after my sisters birthday. We bought our tree today. They are in Costco for £40,which is the cheapest we’ve seen where we live. Last year, OH kept putting off going to Costco and then they sold out, so he ended up paying more. I’m pleased he learnt his lesson.
    Whilst in Costco, we picked up a set of Roald Dahl books for under £20. SIL asked us to pick them up for DS for Xmas, so OH distracted him whilst i put them in my fold up bag to hide them. Whilst we were in the queue, dS found the books and knew they were for him. So, we’ve been practising his ‘surprised’ face for when he opens them at Christmas.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 6th Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 8,541 Thanks
    chanie
    I haven’t started wrapping yet, but I’ve sorted through the unwrapped presents to decide how I’m going to wrap them. I normally just use wrapping paper with the occasional gift bag. I have some boxes I received with online shopping which can be reused for Xmas gifts.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 6th Dec 17, 11:29 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    I have to admit to being very impatient for putting the tree up, I can't wait, said to DD I don't care how tired she is next friday the things are coming out and the tree will go up! We travel to Prague 2 days later so if we don't do it then we won't have a tree at all.

I was multi tasking today, wrapping selection boxes for a club I belong to and speaking to DD, but have eaten a selection box........i will never be thin.

chanieThe Roald Dahl books, had a similar situation when DD was a toddler with bestie hiding a big cuddly toy she had been after. Fortunately DD never spotted this big yellow thing that my mum still has today.
    Even though DS found the books it will still be really exciting for him to know he is getting them and the 'surprised face' made me smile I think we've all had to do one of those during our lifetimes, I know I have several times.
    Prague is very cold but amazing. We booked last year to get into the festive spirit and going with bestie this year I am even more excited. Just finishing last minute bits off I have to do as I'm away this weekend aswell.
    Seemed to be forever posting bits to DD, said I refuse to post anymore. It didn't help that Specs#vers sent her contact lenses home instead of to the uni so I sent them on after sending the parcel with the present she wanted out of her stash. Was able to pop a Christmas card in for her-one from me and one from her cat
    Just a few cards to hand out now
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 8th Dec 17, 7:39 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 1,243 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Hi everyone.
    I've been missing forever. Missed doing challenges and reading everyone's prep and bargains. I've been having a few health problems and been seeing the cardiologist. Few more tests, but all finally seems to be ok. Not felt overly christmassy with worry and all that hanging over my head.

Now i can relax a little, the decorations are up, cards written and presents wrapped and i can hopefully get more in the spirit of things. All the early sales buying and putting away has really come in handy. Even had spree presents which i've donated, a few to a raffle for my sister's friend. Diagnosed with breast cancer, she's only 30 and has 2 small kids. They're having a raffle to raise money and help her have an easier Christmas hopefully. Also some to a few different kid's charities. So, at least nothing has gone to waste and everything will find a good home. I'd like to do a few more charity bits as i do try to every Christmas, got to get a look out.

I have at least managed to get my little girl out to some Christmas events. We went to see Santa arrive on his sleigh at a garden centre and she saw the reindeer, the local rotary club sleigh was round the streets last night, we went on the Santa train last week and she got a lovely toy from the big man and was laughing at the elves. That was a sweet day. We went to the Christmas markets in Manchester the other day on the way to hospital too.

Got to go back and have a big catch up now. Hope everyone is ok and well on the way to being ready for the big day.
    Cat blankets crocheted for local rescue: 5/12
    Read a book a week: 17/52. Current book. "How I lived on a pound a day".
    • chanie
    • By chanie 9th Dec 17, 8:25 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 8,541 Thanks
    chanie
    Tip The Christmas bank holidays can affect bin collections, so don’t forget to have a clear out before Christmas so that your bins aren’t overflowing. Despite recycling as much as we can, I find that Christmas and the children’s birthdays means our bins are often full.

Over the last few weeks, I’ve been having a clear out in advance of Christmas. This has included getting rid of broken toys, out grown clothes and out of date food.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 12th Dec 17, 10:37 AM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 8,541 Thanks
    chanie
    The tree is up and I've slowly started to wrap presents. I wanted to try and 'tart up' my wrapping this year and I'm pleased with what I have done so far:

gift boxes - I have a couple of decent boxes from online shopping/posh shops which I am re-purposing for gifts. I've wrapped them in ribbon, so they look nice.

brown parcel paper - IKEA provide this for breakables, which you can use to wrap after you've done your shopping. I always wrap my items to limit creasing the paper, so that I can reuse it for gift wrapping. I may tie them with string (those are a few of my favourite things..... as the song goes).

gift tags - I normally don't bother with these, but my Mum bought some posh crackers a few years ago and they had a nice embellishment on it, which I've turned into free gift tags.
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 12th Dec 17, 3:10 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 1,243 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Looking at the sales lists. Formulating a plan 😂
    It’s all too tempting to get this because they’re cheap, ether I need them or not.
    Got to be good this year and not buy a million gift sets I don’t need in the sales just for the sake of it. I’m going to get warm clothes in a size a year older for my daughter and paper and crackers as usual. Boots is always my first call online but last year it was a disaster and closed half way through. Me and everyone else lost all the basket full of shopping and it had half sold it when it opened again. Still did ok, but I did have a log of nice woodwick and yankees that got lost. I got some toys in the sales already when I’ve seen really good offers. Ones that will come in in a year or two. Things that won’t age or go out of crazes.

I got some nice hot flavoured teas and hot chocolates from whittards in the sales last year too that are good til next year. So dig those out now. Nice way to save money later. So I have to have a think of other items that will last like that. Chocolate is no use. It won’t see Christmas, never mind going away.
    Chutneys maybe? Any ideas?

Something strangely comforting and nice about getting a start for next year early on.
    Cat blankets crocheted for local rescue: 5/12
    Read a book a week: 17/52. Current book. "How I lived on a pound a day".
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 12th Dec 17, 7:18 PM
    • 16,137 Posts
    • 59,973 Thanks
    mum2one
    Apologies again , seem to be missing in action....
    It’s been a madhouse, between running mum around, bailey been back and forth to the vets with his ears... apparently he has an allergy, he’s. Had steroid jabs, antibiotic jabs, ear cleaning, were now on 2day ear solutions, with a view to hi. Hsv8bg surgery....

Running miss hoodie about bless her...

Christmas planning. The tree went up 1st weekend do december, have a silver and purple theme.

All cards been wrapped, - those needing posting have gone 2day.
    Presents,. All wrapped, the postal ones gone way, delivered some presents

Weather... we’ve had over 12 in snow, been a ngtmsre been housebound from Friday, went out 2day took an hr for mr and miss hoodie to clear the snow off the car, the schools have been closed yesterday and 2day not sure when / if there reopdn8ng 2mor.

It’s prague on Friday... think it will be warmer over there, can’t wait xx
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 43/50
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 13th Dec 17, 9:22 AM
    • 374 Posts
    • 3,045 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Ooooooo im Prague on Sunday mum2one.......can't wait......more excited than last year

Chanie I'm going to pinch ur brown paper wrapping paper idea for next year, really like the sound of that idea especially as some of the presents i have next year are just one 'big' present that would look better out of a gift bag than in plus I have a ball of string that I could put to good use that is rattling about a drawer

CCL also have a sales list prepared for B@@ts. I did well online on Christmas Eve when items went 50% plus DD likes to do on boxing day before cold cut and chips
    Everyone sounds as if they are doing well with their Christmas prep and everything is going well. Still waiting for my tree to go up, DD comes home Friday and the tree is going up then.
    Have been getting extra food bits in while doing normal shopping so I don't have to do a lot when I come back.
    Was away last weekend, everything clear of snow outside my house but only 10 minutes away snow and car accidents happening so I pinched a lift with friends.
    I can't believe how quick December is speeding by
    • chanie
    • By chanie 13th Dec 17, 10:14 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 8,541 Thanks
    chanie

Chanie I'm going to pinch ur brown paper wrapping paper idea for next year, really like the sound of that idea especially as some of the presents i have next year are just one 'big' present that would look better out of a gift bag than in plus I have a ball of string that I could put to good use that is rattling about a drawer
    Originally posted by Happy Kitties
    I bought some alphabet stamps and do this. Looks effective. I bought the stamps from Tiger.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=brown+paper+gift+wrap+ideas+with+alphabet +stamps&client=safari&channel=ipad_bm&dcr=0&prmd=s ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjm5JaygIj YAhVCK1AKHUeNB5EQ_AUIEigC&biw=768&bih=954#imgrc=T3 tHsZ_8hG4SWM:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,725Posts Today

6,873Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin