Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    • 16,120Posts
    • 59,917Thanks
    mum2one
    Santas challenge 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    Santas challenge 2017 31st Dec 16 at 1:04 AM
    A warm welcome to old and new friends.

What is Santas challenge...

We're a lovely thread, may be small but we're good... I know Christmas happens every year, yet by planning throughout the year this can take off some of the financial pressure of finding everything last minute, spread the tasks throughout the year.

It's not just about Christmas, it's birthdays, Easter, Valentine's Day,x cleaning those kitchen cupboards, having a general moan about life, yet being there as well.

The great plan is for a challenge on the 24th of the month, so that by Christmas Eve we are all ready and can sit back and relax...

A big welcome to everyone. Xx
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 43/50
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Page 11
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 11th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    • 16,120 Posts
    • 59,917 Thanks
    mum2one
    DB all finished, found a couple of quirky top up presents for him that I know he will like. So chuffed, he is always nearly the last to be finished as I really struggle.
    I'm over two thirds done now which I'm really happy with as I have a landmark birthday in August, I want to start saving for Prague and my saving for my decorating has come to a full stop.
    This is the first year I've really felt in control and prepared, if I can keep this up in the future, it will save me so much, especially with some major surgery coming up at some point in the future.
    Originally posted by Happy Kitties
    Any room in the suitcase for Prague, love it there xx
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 11th Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    • 16,120 Posts
    • 59,917 Thanks
    mum2one
    Hope every one ok, feet back on ground for a bit, got back this week from morroco, thou come back with strip of severe burns on lower back....

Brainbox decided lie on my front... then realised must have fidgeted... ended up with bottoms rolling down about 2ins, literally red raw, downgraded from daily dressings change at hospital, to every other day at go surgery.

Thou the holiday was great, got a few scarves for Xmas prezzies, there help bulk the presents out.

As from this weekend it's 200 days to Xmas... where has the time gone x
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 12th Jun 17, 2:07 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 2,201 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Ouch mum2one I hope the burns have settled down. I remember dropping a freshly made cup of tea onto my lap 2 years ago now and pleading with my GP to keep me out of hospital, but having to go for dressing changes. I use a wheelchair and have no feeling so the tea had gone underneath aswell, but I had a great level headed nurse at the surgery despite my GP looking like he would pass out, hates anything to do with any form of treatment with me.

Re: Prague, we were going to go somewhere else for the Christmas markets this year, but a friend asked if we were going back as they are keen to go, we really enjoyed it aswell so said why not. Planning to get gingerbread to hang off gift bags with the labels.
    DM has already given us a list of all the baubles she wants bringing back and I wouldn't mind a couple more, I only brought one back for me!
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 18th Jun 17, 7:36 PM
    • 6,975 Posts
    • 17,155 Thanks
    Anglea
    Hi everyone, sorry I've been awol been a hectic month so far.

I completely messed up the dates this month (problem of having a page per day diary) so had a mad scramble to make some gifts which needed to be sent the following day.

Also had other birthdays to sort plus Father's Day.

It was no excuse really about the diary because I have so many other lists and diaries lol

My main goals this year are emergency supplies and boxes around the house (like mum2one suggests in the challenges).

Hi Julie, hope you enjoy this group.

Mum2one. I would have been very surprised not to hear about a medical emergency for some reason it always seems to happen to one of your family - I'm sorry to hear about the sunburn being as bad as that.

Did you meet anyone nice over there?

Your house must be really tidy as you're often having a big clear out, I wish I could get equally motivated.

Happy Kitties, I'm curious what you mean by DB - is this a brother?

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 20th Jun 17, 10:06 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 2,201 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Yep DB is my younger very annoying brother!!!!!
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 25th Jun 17, 5:21 PM
    • 16,120 Posts
    • 59,917 Thanks
    mum2one
    6 months today its Christmas Day, where has the time gone...

A day late.. apologies... [COLOR="Red"]junes santas challenge

[/
    [COLOR="red"]christmas presents[/
    It's 6 maths to go, so how's the time to look again at the lists, see who need what, what budget and whether you have joint gifts to get.

Once you have this done, keep a little note in back of purse so if you see any bargains you can grab and go.

[COLOR="Blue"]xmas paper / gift bags etc
    [/its not just the presents, but the accessories.... hopefully there be emergency starches of paper hidden.

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]cards and stamps[/
    Check / redo your list of cards - see who will need posting, whether you can double up etc... see how many stamps you need, so can get some throughout the year.

Extras
    These always seems to be the mad part, but look at the extras you need for Xmas, if your liable to have guests ( day or stay over), then toilet rolls are going to be used quicker...
    Add an extra item to the shopping list weekly / monthly.
    Toilet rolls
    Kitchen rolls
    Hand soap
    Dried milk
    Tinned Items
    Cooking foil
    Tea bags
    Coffee
    Etc to name a few...

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]summer sales
    Some shops are starting the summer sales early.. as usual it's only a bargain if you really need it.. I find that if need swimwear in July... it's a military planned operation... so think ahead and grab now.
    [/

Miss hoodies corner....
    That lovely gem... this month the freezer.... with the warm weather the freezer will have been working overtime, so we're give it a treat, with a sort out and a defrost.... dare we ask how many peas have escaped..

Insurances etc..
    Whether it's this month or 6 months, check your policies, whether they have sneaked you into the auto renewal program,... pop in the diary a nite about a month before the renewal so you can shop around.
    On the renewal notice the insurance company have to show you how much you paid last year...

Surveys / receipt snappers etc...
    Whether you already do surveys or snap receipts, see if there are any you want to try, it may be extra few pounds for Xmas.

Me time...
    Take some me time, whether it's a long soak in the bath, a sit in the sun with a good book, face mask and pamper evening.... have a treat.. but for fun don't spend more than £2.......

Challenge yourself..
    Is there something you want to try, but never got round to it, it could be as simple as a new recipie, start a d I e t....., take up a new hobby, look in to, give it a try...

As always use it as a puck and mix xx
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 28th Jun 17, 10:18 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 2,201 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Doing pretty good with mum2one list.
    Christmas is full steam ahead, have been wrapping going along. Bought an extra wrapping paper storage holder the other day to pack up the extra paper. Amazed by how much paper i actually have. Also bought an extra storage container to store wrapped presents in.
    I really want to get some decorating done and go back to Prague before Christmas so the more prep i can done now the better
    I'm just waiting for a payment on quidco and then going to cash it out via an Amazon voucher to get these special walking socks my uncle likes. It's a really good feeling to know that I won't have paid a penny towards the socks, just been money savvy.

Will work on the extras I think. Already have a gammon in the freezer ready, but just to have the extras in does make a difference, esp if they last into January as I always try and save Jan monies for the sales.

Hope everyone is doing well with their Christmas prep aswell x
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 12th Jul 17, 3:34 PM
    • 3,591 Posts
    • 36,191 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Greetings everyone!!

I have hardly been on here in the last couple of months too busy ... doing what??
    Erm.. spent month in Ireland May/June. Not particularly good weather, in fact I missed the scorchers here but dogs loved their race-around-sized garden.
    Then late June went off for first cruise since the new knees. Stayed with a friend overnight and she gave me early birthday present ,a Satvav, ummmm, until now I have managed fine with road map and piece of paper with major junctions / landmarks, road numbers listed. Maybe I'm now old enough to have one? The only time I used one it drove me... insane recalculating!! ( I also receicved Christmas presents for 2016)

Finally been to Iceland, the 4th attempt. And no, not the shop. Some stunning scenery and lucky with the weather which was not very warm but was dry in the main.
    Certainly did not do any present buying there!! Heard that a kit to knit your own Icelandic wool shawl was £90. My CC bill shows I paid over £4 for 2 x packets of peppermint boiled sweets and a bar of chocolate in Netto! Cruise line was not the one I know and it was a bit of a mixed bag, some things excellent but not the food and not the lack of kettle in the cabin!
    Got home yesterday to a message from travel agent: my usual cruise line have given me a free upgrade from deck 3 'E' grade cabin with porthole to a deck 5 'B' grade cabin with picture window for sailing in October. I'm well pleased- my very first complimentary upgrade.

At the end of the month I am going to deliver some of the last year's Christmas pressies that didn't make it- due to the knee op.

Washing machine is calling me to see to the third load, it's nearly all done and drying nicely.

Hope everyone is fit , well and enjoying the sun.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 12th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    • 16,120 Posts
    • 59,917 Thanks
    mum2one
    Katie hound.... great to see you back, Iceland sounds amazing, I know when we were in Lapland the prices were not the best,

That's brill news about the upgrade with the cruise. Very modern with the sat nav, I swear by mine, (99% of the time), but do keep a map for back up.
    ".........

Been quiet here, took mum up to north wales for weekend for her bday, all fun and games we hit a big accident on the Sunday, what should have taken 20 mins to get back to the caravan.... took nearly 3 hrs, thecsat nav kept wanting me to go back to the a55... doh... big accident in conwy tunnels, so to get back to towyn we had to go to Betsy-coed, then cross country, miss hoodie had an emergency lesson in how to read a map, she dud good bless her.

Haven't done much Xmas planning, been plodding along with premmie knits, up to 96 cardigans, 14 dresses, plus hats, nappy covers, booties, socks.

One gd bit found my Xmas list, so need to update the computer list xx

All quiet here, slowly plodding
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 14th Jul 17, 12:02 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 2,201 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    My uncle's hiking socks now ordered and not a penny paid, now saving for a pair for my niece.
    mum2one You were right up my neck of the woods in North Wales, u can't beat the A55 when there is an accident or when there isn't on a Sunday evening in the summer and everyone coming home after a long weekend.
    Still wouldn't live anywhere else.
    It's brilliant with the amount of premmie knits you have done.
    Katiehound great that you managed to get to Iceland, always wanted to go but don't know how I will quite manage with the wheelchair. Friends did exactly the same as you with the cruise, they really enjoyed it. I'm glad the new knees are doing okay.
    Not much going on here, there are a couple of presents I want to wrap but cannot find them at all, so frustrating!!
    Even with slowly packing up the back bedroom ready for decorating and repacking presents to a new suitcase, there is still no sign.
    Got the odd birthday to send out for the remainder of the year but nothing like the first five months of the year where it's birthdays galore. Have presents all ready except for one but now have a few ideas.
    That's about it from me.....slowly plodding along!!
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 24th Jul 17, 8:02 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Well tomorrow i'll have QVC on all day in the background. It's Christmas in July!! I'll be very giddy and festive.

Got 6 Yankee candles added to the present cupboard. Excellent standby gift and my sister always ends up with one every year. A mill near my mum sells them all off cheap. These are the large jar ones, £5 a piece.

Got baby's first birthday to get through next month and then i can focus on making a better start on Christmas again.
    Cat blankets crocheted for local rescue: 5/12
    Read a book a week: 17/52. Current book. "How I lived on a pound a day".
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 29th Jul 17, 8:31 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 2,201 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    I'm happy to say that Christmas presents are nearly finished and the bits I still have to get, I know what to get. Have been wrapping as I go along, so really on top of everything.
    Really pleased as I can focus on the DIY that really stresses me out but desperately needs to be done.
    Prague is all booked, so it's full steam ahead, I can't wait now!
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 29th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Husband is always last minute deciding what he wants. So that always gets ordered in October. But I'm getting there. A few bits to work out and people needing to decide what they want. But everything I can buy so far is bought. Feels good as with no job now I've given it up, Christmas feels like a bigger pressure.

Husband booked our cruise for next year today. Haven't even done this year's yet! Nice to have something to look forward to. Zoe turns one next month. After that I can focus more on holiday and Christmas.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 30th Jul 17, 8:07 PM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 7,595 Thanks
    chanie
    Pleased to read up on everyone's progress. Mine is still slow - OHs work had been a bit slow recently so we've had to tighten our belts. August is also going to be a slow month as the children are on school holidays (won't have much free time) plus we are going on our summer holidays in a few weeks (money going towards that). But, I have ordered a present for DN.

Dsis is expecting another baby in about 8 weeks time and I've been thinking about what to get her. It isn't her first, but she doesn't have any baby stuff (and neither do I). So, I've decided to make her up a hamper of handy stuff (some of which will be useful at 3am!!!). My youngest is in reception, so the early baby years are a distant memory and I've been trying to remember what I found useful.

Changing bag - a normal satchel bag, but she probably won't think to get one.
    Muslin squares
    Cotton wool pads
    Gripe water for wind
    Metanium nappy cream
    Flask
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £564.81
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 30th Jul 17, 8:18 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Pleased to read up on everyone's progress. Mine is still slow - OHs work had been a bit slow recently so we've had to tighten our belts. August is also going to be a slow month as the children are on school holidays (won't have much free time) plus we are going on our summer holidays in a few weeks (money going towards that). But, I have ordered a present for DN.

Dsis is expecting another baby in about 8 weeks time and I've been thinking about what to get her. It isn't her first, but she doesn't have any baby stuff (and neither do I). So, I've decided to make her up a hamper of handy stuff (some of which will be useful at 3am!!!). My youngest is in reception, so the early baby years are a distant memory and I've been trying to remember what I found useful.

Changing bag - a normal satchel bag, but she probably won't think to get one.
    Muslin squares
    Cotton wool pads
    Gripe water for wind
    Metanium nappy cream
    Flask
    Originally posted by chanie
    Things you might want to add. Things I couldn't have done without..changing mat, a few sleep suits, mits/gloves and a dummy if she plans to use them. Maybe a little blanket and some baby nail clippers.
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 6th Aug 17, 12:49 PM
    • 16,120 Posts
    • 59,917 Thanks
    mum2one
    Apologies been missing in action...... just got back from Morroco, it was amazing, we love the place so much, everyone is so sweet out there, just like visiting family.

Thou... With miss hoodie being blonde and blue eyes, in one day she collected 6 Facebook friends, they asked for her number, but we had already decided between us, Facebook then u can block them.....

Xx
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 6th Aug 17, 12:50 PM
    • 16,120 Posts
    • 59,917 Thanks
    mum2one
    Completely digressing, as missed July challenge... how about a bit of fun...

Tell us one strange / odd fact that no one would really know..

Me.... I only have 1 toe nail x
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 6th Aug 17, 5:10 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Completely digressing, as missed July challenge... how about a bit of fun...

Tell us one strange / odd fact that no one would really know..

Me.... I only have 1 toe nail x
    Originally posted by mum2one
    Through an accident or always that way?

Mine is a long and weird one that I thought about for the first time in ages yesterday.
    I used to believe in "carpet diamonds". When I was little, every now and then in the bathroom carpet I'd see something shining. I'd pick it up and it would be a tiny diamond. A carpet diamond. Never occurred to think any different. Til suddenly, much older, it struck me they were cheap little Rhine stones from my sister's jewellery that had fallen out into the carpet. Didn't think about them for years, til yesterday when I spotted something glittering in the carpet at home and thought "ooh. Carpet diamond"
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 6th Aug 17, 5:57 PM
    • 16,120 Posts
    • 59,917 Thanks
    mum2one
    Through an accident or always that way?

Mine is a long and weird one that I thought about for the first time in ages yesterday.
    I used to believe in "carpet diamonds". When I was little, every now and then in the bathroom carpet I'd see something shining. I'd pick it up and it would be a tiny diamond. A carpet diamond. Never occurred to think any different. Til suddenly, much older, it struck me they were cheap little Rhine stones from my sister's jewellery that had fallen out into the carpet. Didn't think about them for years, til yesterday when I spotted something glittering in the carpet at home and thought "ooh. Carpet diamond"
    Originally posted by crazy-cat-lady
    Wow, that's so lovely...

I had toenails that grew weird, did have 10 off but one grew back x
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 8th Aug 17, 7:56 PM
    • 2,986 Posts
    • 18,213 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    junes santas challenge

[/
    [COLOR="red"]christmas presents[/
    It's 6 maths to go, so how's the time to look again at the lists, see who need what, what budget and whether you have joint gifts to get.
    So I have looked at my list so far and I have decided this year I have 9 to buy for. I have already brought a couple of gifts so I think I have my step mum and mum done and my sister. I brought some smellies packs when they were reduced in HomeBargains - they were £24.99 down to £3.99 so I couldnt resist a bargain! and my sister has a handbag from Ebay and a candle. So I have 6 to get now. This is not including my husband and 2 children though! although I work in a well known catalogue shop and have been picking up bits and pieces for my daughter already and a speaker for my son that was reduced from £25 down to £7.99

Once you have this done, keep a little note in back of purse so if you see any bargains you can grab and go. Have got it on my phone

[COLOR="Blue"]xmas paper / gift bags etc
    [/its not just the presents, but the accessories.... hopefully there be emergency starches of paper hidden. I emptied my christmas cupboard and have found 4 rolls of wrapping paper that were in the 5p sale in Poundland and have brought some cards from work that were 30 cards for 49p so thats us all sorted now.

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]cards and stamps[/
    Check / redo your list of cards - see who will need posting, whether you can double up etc... see how many stamps you need, so can get some throughout the year.
    I need to write my card list but I dont have many but most of them need sending but I like to buy fancier cards for family members as most are elderly and appreciate the old fashion type cards

Extras
    These always seems to be the mad part, but look at the extras you need for Xmas, if your liable to have guests ( day or stay over), then toilet rolls are going to be used quicker...
    Add an extra item to the shopping list weekly / monthly.
    Toilet rolls
    Kitchen rolls
    Hand soap
    Dried milk
    Tinned Items
    Cooking foil
    Tea bags
    Coffee
    Etc to name a few...
    I have already started to write a christmas cupboard list and have been trying to decide which cupboard to use because my family are like locusts and will graze their way through a cupboard at will if left to it. I think I might actually get a plastic box and store it with non perishables in my christmas cupboard!

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]summer sales
    Some shops are starting the summer sales early.. as usual it's only a bargain if you really need it.. I find that if need swimwear in July... it's a military planned operation... so think ahead and grab now.
    [/
    I have looked in the clothign shops for reduced pyjamas for my daughter as well as tops etc that she might like (shes only 7) and I am keeping an eye in the sports shops for a brand my son likes as well

Miss hoodies corner....
    That lovely gem... this month the freezer.... with the warm weather the freezer will have been working overtime, so we're give it a treat, with a sort out and a defrost.... dare we ask how many peas have escaped.. I dread to think how much escapee veg I have but mine needs restocking soon

Insurances etc..
    Whether it's this month or 6 months, check your policies, whether they have sneaked you into the auto renewal program,... pop in the diary a nite about a month before the renewal so you can shop around.
    On the renewal notice the insurance company have to show you how much you paid last year...
    no insurances - and due a new puppy in a month or so so she will be the newest insurance :-)

Surveys / receipt snappers etc...
    Whether you already do surveys or snap receipts, see if there are any you want to try, it may be extra few pounds for Xmas.
    SAving with Christmas savers with Tesco and waiting on a bonus card with iceland to start topping up for the freezer shop

Me time...
    Take some me time, whether it's a long soak in the bath, a sit in the sun with a good book, face mask and pamper evening.... have a treat.. but for fun don't spend more than £2.......
    My favourite treat is sitting and watching a film with some goodies or clearing my V+ box in peace.

Challenge yourself..
    Is there something you want to try, but never got round to it, it could be as simple as a new recipie, start a d I e t....., take up a new hobby, look in to, give it a try...
    I have brought a paint by number kit for my birthday which I am looking forward to starting and was given a Game Of Thrones colouring book which I havent started yet!

As always use it as a puck and mix xx
    So I feel like Im doing fairly well. Just need to concentrate on some bills getting reduced now before Xmas.

My son wants tickets to a car show in January so I am going to book them in advance to save us some money.

My daughter has made her Xmas list as well so I am slowly working my way through that although at 7 years old I have managed to talk her out of a laptop and a hot tub

My husband as always is not telling me anything he wants

Our new pup is due home on September 26th so she is my wedding anniversary present - a little jackhuahua who will be called Nicki after our favourite bike rider who passed away.

And I have a few more things to find for gifts so am going to stalk ebay - Id also like to make a few bits for Xmas decorations and presents as well

Hope your all ok and hope you dont mind me joining in - Im looking forward to hints , tips, bargains etc

Sammy
    x
    Back working and happy in my job
    ....Working on becoming Me ....
    Working on a Credit Rating!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,601Posts Today

8,411Users online

Martin's Twitter