Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • blackcloud
    • By blackcloud 30th Dec 16, 8:53 PM
    • 307Posts
    • 10Thanks
    blackcloud
    Why do 6 wall sockets not work suddenly?
    • 30th Dec 16, 8:53 PM
    Why do 6 wall sockets not work suddenly? 30th Dec 16 at 8:53 PM
    Hello all

I was just sitting down today and all of a sudden all the sockets went off, the lights were fine. I checked the fuse box and one of the switches were down and I tried to switch it up but it would not stay up.
    So I turned everything off and then the switch did stay up. So I slowly started to turn everything back on and when I turned on the wall socket which had an extension cable plugged into it which had my laptop and a few other things plugged in the switch on the electric board turned off again. So I turned off the plug that I turned on which caused the fuse to switch off and pulled the switch up again and turned everything else on and all the sockets work ok now. Except for 4 sockets in the hallway and in the living room.

All the switches on the fuse box are on now.
    I have had to plug the boiler in using an extension cable as the socket it was plugged into doesn't work now. SO I am not sure if thats safe or not.

What could be wrong and what should I do?
Page 3
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 19th Mar 17, 7:55 AM
    • 5,081 Posts
    • 4,539 Thanks
    thescouselander
    Sounds like you've taken a step forward there in identifying the problem. It does sound like the problem could be a faulty appliance/device.

Since the problem seems to be one of only 3 devices you could try plugging them back in one at a time to see which one causes the fault to happen. My money is on the washing machine though - perhaps it has an internal water leak.
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 19th Mar 17, 10:11 AM
    • 593 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    Risteard
    What do you mean by "main breaker"? Also why are you assuming the landlord's duties?
    • burnsguitarman
    • By burnsguitarman 19th Mar 17, 12:55 PM
    • 707 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    burnsguitarman
    We had very similar problems, went on for months. We finally pinned it down to the Dishwasher!
    • Myser
    • By Myser 20th Mar 17, 2:27 AM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    Myser
    Seems like the problem is with the washing machine/extension it's plugged into from your other post on the DIYNot forum.
    If my post hasn't helped you, then don't click the 'Thanks' button!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

242Posts Today

2,058Users online

Martin's Twitter