Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • _Amaryllis_
    • By _Amaryllis_ 29th Dec 16, 9:07 PM
    • 33Posts
    • 49Thanks
    _Amaryllis_
    Open Up to Me - A Savings Diary
    • 29th Dec 16, 9:07 PM
    Open Up to Me - A Savings Diary 29th Dec 16 at 9:07 PM
    I thought I would start this as a kind of New Year's Resolution. I do have friends IRL but given their situations if I start complaining to them about my situation they might resort to physical violence.

My situation:
    I'm 25, I have a permanent, full time job that I love which appears to have good prospects for promotion. I still live with my parents who have very kindly let my fiance (who shall henceforth be referred to as C) move in too.

We are hoping to get married on the 2nd of August 2018 (if the venue ever phone me back) and I have recently come to the conclusion that if I manage to save about £1000 a month between then and now I might be able to buy a house around April 2018.

I currently have:
    House deposit: £35,500
    Fees: £5000
    New Car Fund: £1000
    MOT/Service Fund (Due end of April): £250
    Car Insurance Fund (Due end of October): £350
    Holiday fund: £1000
    Fund for next Christmas: £100 + £100 M&S giftcard

C has zero savings and a credit card debt of £2200. He has a full time, temporary contract but will have to leave in the summer as he will be starting an full time Access to Higher Education course in September (then Uni, then a two-year Masters). Hopefully he'll be able to get a permanent part time job but we'll see.

I've done some eligibility check, calculator things on various websites and come to the following conclusion:
    Worst Case Scenario (without being unnecessarily gloomy) - C has no job/zero hours/temp contract therefore it may be best to put him down as a dependant, I could still (hopefully) get a mortgage of around 85-95,000.

He only has to be earning £2000 a year for us to get more than £95,000 with him as a joint applicant.

Based on that I need my deposit to be in the region of £55,000 to buy something in our area. My Granny's willing to give me £5,000 (which would otherwise be inherited on her death) and I have a Help to Buy ISA which I plan to transfer into a LISA when they're available so it should be doable. Provided my implant doesn't let me down.

Targets for 2017:
    Save £1000 per month for deposit.
    Save another £1000 in the New Car Fund
    Keep on top of other expenses e.g. insurance
    Plan wedding!

Wishing you all a Happy New Year
    _Amaryllis_
    No. 90 on Save 12k in 2017 £5,743.05/£15,000
Page 2
    • _Amaryllis_
    • By _Amaryllis_ 22nd Jan 17, 12:51 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    _Amaryllis_
    I haven't got a lot to report today. We've been really busy at work which did mean that I didn't have a chance to go out at all, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were NSDs.

Saturday I took my granny shopping and had to fill the car up. ASDA in my hometown is at 117.7p per litre so it will be interesting what Sainsbury's in the town I work in is at on Monday.

Saw my other grandparents today and it sounds like we're going to the pub for a roast dinner.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd Jan 17, 1:24 PM
    • 12,399 Posts
    • 45,734 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Again i think you are being responsible and planning before you spend. Well done. Enjoy the roast.
    Savings Fund(Nov 2017) £6750/£8000 81%
    Happiness Fund (Dec 1st 2017) £35/£600
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Carles Diaz
    • By Carles Diaz 28th Jan 17, 6:14 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Carles Diaz
    Congratations!! Great progress so far! I see you are focusing in your future house, amd that's so amazing at your age. Keep saving 1k a month and you will soon have your car and house. After that, don't stop saving and stick to new financial objectives.
    • _Amaryllis_
    • By _Amaryllis_ 1st Feb 17, 6:22 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    _Amaryllis_
    I'm sorry I haven't posted for a while, we've been manic at work and I was ill last weekend. On the bright side I haven't spent much as I haven't really been out.

I found out that I passed my last exam which I took in December so once my manager signs my experience off I'm a qualified chartered accountant. (But I want to be a Liontamer!!! :rolf: )

I was paid on Friday, I got a mini-pay rise of £4 as my holiday sell is now at my current salary rather than what I was on last December, so that's another £1000 for the deposit straight off and I had £186.93 left from my last pay check so that's going in the new car fund.

If you're following the Save 12K in 2017 thread the reason my declared total is higher than that is because I'm including my pension contributions for that.
    • _Amaryllis_
    • By _Amaryllis_ 13th Feb 17, 6:13 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    _Amaryllis_
    Well we're almost caught up at work.

I've been carefully planning my driving so that I can fill up at ASDA where the petrol price had stayed steady at 117.7p per litre and on Sunday had gone down to 116.7p. Sainsbury's near work is charging 121.2p.

I had to get new inner tubes for my bike as it definitely has a puncture in the front tyre and possibly in the back one too. C has an old bike that he's going to fix up, then we can cycle sometimes instead of driving or getting the bus, if we're going into town for example.

I was going to open a second Tesco's account at the end of this month to put the most of the money from my maturing TSB Regular Saver into but that might not be happening now (I take it you've all heard they've suspended applications after being swamped by MoneySavers :rofl: )

I'm crossing my fingers but not holding my breath.

I was going to open one of the Saffron BS Regular Savers as well but I've worked out that since I would have to manage it in branch the costs of doing so would mean I'd be better off getting the latest Virgin Money RS instead, though that's partly because one can pay £50 more per month into the Virgin one than the Saffron one.

I'm finding it hard to stay motivated recently, it seems kind of pointless to struggle to save up just to get a mortgage to struggle to pay off.

On the other hand there's no way in hell I'm going to spend the rest of my life struggling to pay off some other b*****'s mortgage. So I guess there is a point after all.

My mum got me a couple of grow-your-own chilli plants, Cayenne and Hungarian Wax. I might plant them tonight.
    • _Amaryllis_
    • By _Amaryllis_ 19th Feb 17, 12:16 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    _Amaryllis_
    I planted the chilli plants on Tuesday, no signs of life yet.

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were NSDs but I had to fill the car up on Thursday.

On Thursday C went to a friend's house and I joined them after dinner.

I went to another friend's birthday party on Friday. C was working and I got myself in a bit of a state about going on my own (yes, I know I have issues) C had to contact her and check I was invited in my own right, this was on the day and I then had to run around getting ready whilst cooking dinner at the same time. That was a NSD too but I owe my parents a bottle of wine.

Saturday I took my granny shopping she and my grandma both shop at the Co-op who keep doing promotions where you get stickers for shopping there which you can stick in a little book and trade in for discounts on things (60-80% discounts) at the moment it's cookware so I got a saucepan and a casserole pan. I have some glasses from the last one they did and it was towels and bedding before that.

She also gave me a receipt from Boots that she'd saved for me so I could put the points on my Advantage Card.

We played D&D last night, C was working again. He's not a happy camper this weekend, he says everything happens when he's working and he doesn't get to see his friends anymore. That's not strictly true but I can see why he feels that way.

We've sorted out funds for the wedding with my parents and C's parents so I don't need to hold onto the fund I had for it anymore, I'm putting it into the new car fund instead so I have £2000 in there now and since I've go a couple more months until i have to pay for the MOT and Service on the car, and therefore start saving for next years, I'm starting a new savings fund which is for our dream holiday - going to Mexico for the Day of the Dead! We won't be able to go for a number of years because it's during term time but I can start saving for it at least.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Feb 17, 2:29 PM
    • 12,399 Posts
    • 45,734 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on the NSDs, the party (it's stressful I know but you did it and more). Its nice you get receipts. Fabulous news on the wedding savings front. Mexico wow. It sounds like the holiday of a lifetime.

I am sorry that Mr Amyrillis is feeling down. Remind him about Mexico it'll be so worth it in the long term.
    • _Amaryllis_
    • By _Amaryllis_ 6th Mar 17, 5:43 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    _Amaryllis_
    I'm sorry I haven't updated recently. My computer's still broken so I can only get online when C isn't using his, which between studying and gaming isn't often, or at work (on my lunchbreak of course) where for some reason the filter will let me read this forum but not post on it.

Anyway, highlights of the last few weeks.

February is the month our bonuses get paid so I was able to put £2500 into my deposit fund which brings the total to £39000.

On the other hand I didn't have much left to put towards Mexico because I added £100 to the Car Insurance Fund due to the change in the personal injury discount rate. I'm also going to be snowed under at work for the next couple of months as a result but that's another story.

Money Saving fail: I booked tickets to see Spamalot, I got C a student ticket and myself an Under 26's, unfortunately the performance is after my birthday so I will no longer be under 26. (Well done, did you forget how old you are or when your birthday is?) Anyway no returns so I bought myself another ticket and I'm going to give the under 26 ticket to a friend.

Atom Bank's app isn't compatible with my phone

My Lloyds and TSB regular savers matured, I got £50.33 and £78.56 respectively.

I've got one more thing to try with my laptop but if that doesn't work then we'll know what's wrong with it but it would cost so much to fix as to not be worth it (it's a pretty old laptop and I don't really use it for that much) so hopefully I'll be posting more often but if not then I'll still be keeping up with the forum and rooting for all of you.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 6th Mar 17, 6:04 PM
    • 12,399 Posts
    • 45,734 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Fantastic bonus and savings. Good luck with the 'puter. I hope it works out

Sorry about the ticket , Spamalot is worth it I loved it. Remember the song "...always look on the bright side of life..." as you will be singing it for the next 2 months after the show.
    • _Amaryllis_
    • By _Amaryllis_ 12th Mar 17, 3:23 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    _Amaryllis_
    My computer s now back up and running.

We came fourth in the quiz on Wednesday.

We saw C's parents on Friday and went to a party on Saturday.

Today C put some bookshelves together and fixed my laptop.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 13th Mar 17, 9:04 AM
    • 2,553 Posts
    • 17,227 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Great news that your laptop is fixed _Amaryllis_ as they are not cheap to replace. Sounds like you've been having a good time with the quiz and party, its good that you are managing to save and have a life
    Aims for 2016
    1. no takeaways !
    2. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
    • _Amaryllis_
    • By _Amaryllis_ 20th Mar 17, 5:57 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    _Amaryllis_
    Last week the only thing I spent money on apart from petrol and housekeeping was C's birthday present.

I got an email on Friday to confirm that I'm officially fully qualified now I made cheese and bacon muffins and flapjack to take into work today to celebrate.

C has got his credit card balance below £1000 now and will hopefully have it paid off within 6 weeks. 
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 20th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    • 12,399 Posts
    • 45,734 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Fantastic news. I am so amazed that all the people on this thread are being careful with money. It is so encouraging. Really well done on qualification and not the OH getting his cc down.
    • _Amaryllis_
    • By _Amaryllis_ 26th Mar 17, 12:26 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    _Amaryllis_
    Well, this week wasn't nearly as good as last week.

It was quiz night on Wednesday so I spent £2 entry adn £1 for soda water. However, we came first and won £62 between 5 of us, so £12.40 each

We also had pancakes at Sloppy Joe's on Saturday and bought beer to drink while we were playing D&D that evening.

I also got my mum a DVD for mothers' day.

However, all of that rather pales in comparison to the £289 I spent on wedding rings. Mine is white gold engraved with a pattern of stylised flowers (£170) and C's is titanium and carbon fibre (£119). We both really loved them and some things are worth splashing out on, right?

We've also decided on a venue for the reception. We're booking a local village hall which is very a very pretty faux Tudor building. I've got to sign the forms and send the £50 deposit. It will be about £200 in total and one of the local pubs will do the bar and even let us pick the beers and ciders we want.

I've also received the invoice for my membership fee £231
    However, I can claim that back from my employer, I just think I'll wait until the credit card cuts off this month before paying it.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 26th Mar 17, 3:23 PM
    • 12,399 Posts
    • 45,734 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    That's a really good use of money I think. Really well done. How exciting it is going for a good cause and people will have fun and have memories that will last a lifetime.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 26th Mar 17, 7:15 PM
    • 2,553 Posts
    • 17,227 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I think £289 is quite reasonable for 2 wedding rings. They are a one-off purchase to show how much you care about one another so best to go for quality which as SW says will last a lifetime
    Aims for 2016
    1. no takeaways !
    2. shop once a week - no "top-up" shops - no unnecessary spending !!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

335Posts Today

4,262Users online

Martin's Twitter