Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sa1sysoo
    • By Sa1sysoo 29th Dec 16, 9:34 AM
    • 235Posts
    • 840Thanks
    Sa1sysoo
    2017 - No Clutter To Be Seen
    • 29th Dec 16, 9:34 AM
    2017 - No Clutter To Be Seen 29th Dec 16 at 9:34 AM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/my own wording, "A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017!"

I'm going to aim to get rid of 2017 items in 2017.
    There are some lovely tips on the KonMari thread here, set up by the talented greent: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5385103

Of particular note is post 4 of where you can get rid of unwanted items:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69806488&postcount=4

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!
    2017 £2 Savers Club #19 - £46/£100 Target
    1% Club - 28%/100% Declutter 2017 in 2017 - 1029/2017
    Joint Overdraft: £1,400/£1,500, Tesco (0%): £4,602.79/£4,681.95
    DH Overdraft: £1,500 Virgin CC (0%):£4,982.71/£3,857.70
Page 37
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 16th Apr 17, 6:48 PM
    • 5,427 Posts
    • 26,975 Thanks
    bugslet
    Like the retro disco?

Seriously I know what you mean, it's that I will fit in to this, I will do this again and its a loss to know that things are gone. I try to think rationally and ask myself exactly when I will use it/wear it. The answer is I'm not.
    • gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 17th Apr 17, 1:44 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 3,096 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    So I have finally got around to taking a picture of and listing on the fb selling sites the bags of stuff we have for sale that I moved altogether into the shed back along

The various car boots in the area started this weekend so hopefully they will sell quickly as from this weekend onwards all the car boots around here are typically on every week
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 17th Apr 17, 9:57 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    somerandom
    315 & 6 - 2x shrugs
    317 - earrings
    322 - 5 x brochures
    Originally posted by somerandom
    323. dead toothbrush holder

No more decluttering for me for the next week or so as I'm off on holiday tomorrow.
    No Clutter to be seen 2017
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2017 £392.52/£397
    • KitKatMum2
    • By KitKatMum2 17th Apr 17, 11:04 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    KitKatMum2
    748.- 749. baby shoes
    750. Easter Gift bag – counting this as I normally hoard them!
    751. Board game

I have got about 15 items listed online and I've no plans Wednesday so I'm hoping to get a bit of sorting out done then. I've definitely stalled a bit, so I want to try to get going again. Happy decluttering everyone
    • Trendyjenny
    • By Trendyjenny 18th Apr 17, 10:09 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 3,177 Thanks
    Trendyjenny
    no de clutter last week as went away and what with easter need to get back on track.
    • gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 19th Apr 17, 7:47 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 3,096 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    Emptied a shower gel, a shampoo and a tiny tube of hydraluron that seemed to go on forever!

The bathroom is starting to look better now and I have one less step to worry about in my skincare routine
    • eandjsmum
    • By eandjsmum 19th Apr 17, 4:57 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 4,355 Thanks
    eandjsmum
    Can you not 'lose' things?
    Originally posted by bugslet
    Might have to
    • gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 20th Apr 17, 8:54 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 3,096 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    After moving all the bags of stuff to sell out to the shed, I found a carrier bag full of OOD medication that I asked mum to take to the chemist to dispose of safely.

That was months ago(possibly even before Christmas) and she never did it.

Good job though as I have found some more OOD things in the medicine cupboard!

Will go through the cupboard with her when she gets home from work soon then she can take it down to the chemist when she goes shopping later
    • KitKatMum2
    • By KitKatMum2 20th Apr 17, 10:33 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    KitKatMum2
    751. Board game
    752. Cleanser
    753.-755 Baby clothes
    756. Skirt
    757. Empty parcel tape roll
    758. mug (son broke it )

I've identified the 3 main problems in our house - children's books, clothes and toys. I decided to start with clothes. It can be difficult as DS doesn't have a wardrobe. We would need to take a lot of stuff out of his bedroom to actually fit one in and I'm not sure where the other stuff could go at the present moment. His clothes are currently stored in boxes (the big IKEA cube ones), which is not great, I need to try to think of a cost effective solution in the interim.
    With DD's clothes, she has plastic drawers inside her wardrobe, so I started labelling them yesterday - one for underwear, one for tops, leggings etc.. so hopefully it will be easier to find things and things won't end up getting pulled out and all over the floor.
    I've also identified a few toys to go on eBay - need to actually find time to do it when kids are in bed though, as if the eldest sees them I'm sure she will suddenly insist she wants them!
    • gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 22nd Apr 17, 8:43 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 3,096 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    Going to the cinema today with the boyfriend to see Fast & Furious 8

When I get home though I'm going to sort out my weekend bag. I bought it primarily for storage(and then it was also there if we do ever go away for a couple days) and it has just become full up with everything!

So I'm going to go through it and try and either get rid of some of it or find new homes for as much of it as possible
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 22nd Apr 17, 9:03 AM
    • 2,141 Posts
    • 13,533 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I have spent the past two weeks slowly working through my stuff. I forgot to write down what I have got rid of but I have started to see a difference. I have also been able to start decorating, so my hall is starting to look a little more normal. Once the carpet is up, the for stained and its dressed again I will be able to open my door and not be ashamed. Only the rest of the house to go.

I have even started on the garden.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £206/2500 8.24%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing should be wasted on the self-sufficient holding. The dustman should never have to call. John Seymour
    • cherie1122
    • By cherie1122 22nd Apr 17, 10:47 AM
    • 396 Posts
    • 1,523 Thanks
    cherie1122
    Well done parsniphead. I'm slowly doing my house and garden and was thrilled when a shed was dismantled and removed which means I can see all my garden from my dining room window. I use Freegle a lot and have given two greenhouses, a fish pond and a big plastic shed away recently and feel fantastic.

Keep going everybody x

• KitKatMum2
    • By KitKatMum2 22nd Apr 17, 10:24 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    KitKatMum2
    759. Wax melt
    760.-762 Sticker books
    763.-766 Hair accessories
    767.-769 Books
    770.-783 Baby/kids clothes
    784.-788 Tops
    789. Skirt
    790. Night cream
    791. Dress
    792. Pen

Really productive day. As well as getting rid of a lot (most of the list above was done today) I also listed absolutely loads for sale on eBay and Gumtree. Hubby has sorted out his wardrobe and given me loads to sell too, it's just a matter of finding the time to do it. I have lots of auctions ending tomorrow, I think at least 10 will sell (the woman in the post office will love me!). Also lots to go in washing machine tomorrow and will hopefully iron and list them for sale later in the week.

So, yup, feeling very positive. Hope everyone else is doing well
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 23rd Apr 17, 7:13 AM
    • 987 Posts
    • 4,376 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    kitkatmum, use myhermes its cheaper than the post office
    • gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 23rd Apr 17, 12:08 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 3,096 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    The film was good yesterday

Finished sorting out my weekend bag, got 2 fascinators and the flower I wore in my buttonhole at a wedding I went to a couple weeks ago inside the box that one of the fascinators came in, and all of my keepsakes etc. are in the weekend bag too

I took out all of my different bags(backpack/drawstring bag/clutch bag/toiletry bag etc.) and put them all inside each other and left them out but near the wardrobe for easy access(I like to change up my bags often )

And I got rid of the voile panel I had suspended in front of my wardrobe as it was getting annoying!
    • eandjsmum
    • By eandjsmum 23rd Apr 17, 5:33 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 4,355 Thanks
    eandjsmum
    OH tidied man- cave today so that meant a trip to the recycling centre.
    He also chucked an old shirt. I am now down to last pack of washing powder.
    I have also used the last of the gooseberries and raspberries that were in the inside freezer.
    • BettiePage
    • By BettiePage 23rd Apr 17, 5:56 PM
    • 4,480 Posts
    • 10,291 Thanks
    BettiePage
    Approx 19 above, not counting the out of date food and most of the clothes that I didn't list before removing.

20-25: More shoes - CS
    26: Broken necklace - Bin
    27: Broken belt - Bin.
    28: Manky Bath scrunchy - Bin
    29: Hair dye - Used
    30: Broken dustpan - Bin.
    31-38: Birthday cards from DH's birthday 2 weeks ago - Recycling bin.

eta: 39: Broken bird feeder - Bin.
    Originally posted by BettiePage
    40-45. Jeans x 6 - CS
    46-49. Tops x 5 - CS
    50-51. Travel mugs x 2 - CS.

Slow but sure. Got a lot of stuff going on at the moment so just grabbing a few minutes here and there.

eta:
    52. Nespresso milk frother - Sold
    Last edited by BettiePage; 23-04-2017 at 6:15 PM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum.
    • KitKatMum2
    • By KitKatMum2 23rd Apr 17, 11:10 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    KitKatMum2
    kitkatmum, use myhermes its cheaper than the post office
    Originally posted by whiteguineapig
    I do use Hermes on occasion, unfortunately our nearest parcel shop is a really inconvenient location and costs me £3 to get to on the bus, which usually cancels any savings. I was just talking about this with my husband recently, I can't understand why none of the more local shops offer the service. You can have the parcels collected from your house by a lovely lady but I think it's 50p an item when they come to collect, so I just use Royal Mail for convenience.

The below items are sales, I've sold quite a lot more, but the rest haven't paid yet

793. -794 Shorts
    795.-797. Kids clothes
    • gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 24th Apr 17, 8:18 AM
    • 452 Posts
    • 3,096 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    Scoped out a few items from my wardrobe that have seen very little wear over the last few months.

Things such as a slightly too big hoodie that has started getting those little balls on the inside - "pilling" I think it's called, some dungarees that, when worn last, made me look about 8 months pregnant , a pair of black jeans that I really love the style of, but they're just too low rise and every time I wear them for more than about 10 minutes it looks like I may as well not even bothered pulling them up when I put them on

When I go and make a coffee in a sec I'm going to take them down and place them in one of the bags in the shed

Oh and I bought some new shoes for work last week. They're basically running trainers with the curved sole so you get that fluid movement each time you take a step as the shoes I was wearing before were just cheap £3 primark ones with a flat as a pancake sole and I found I was "thumping" when I walked(sign of flat feet maybe?) so hopefully these structured trainers will alleviate that
    Last edited by gemmajenkins0208; 24-04-2017 at 8:37 AM.
    • Trendyjenny
    • By Trendyjenny 24th Apr 17, 6:00 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 3,177 Thanks
    Trendyjenny
    50 assorted mugs !!!
    2 pairs of black trousers
    3 pairs jeggings
    lots of old paperwork from school
    10 huge cards from ex partner ( bit of a cry but needed to et rid of the baggage attached to them )
    and fingers crossed one golf car project from garden ( brother having it - another bit of baggage gone )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,872Posts Today

6,444Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin