Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sa1sysoo
    • By Sa1sysoo 29th Dec 16, 9:34 AM
    • 233Posts
    • 825Thanks
    Sa1sysoo
    2017 - No Clutter To Be Seen
    • 29th Dec 16, 9:34 AM
    2017 - No Clutter To Be Seen 29th Dec 16 at 9:34 AM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/my own wording, "A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017!"

I'm going to aim to get rid of 2017 items in 2017.
    There are some lovely tips on the KonMari thread here, set up by the talented greent: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5385103

Of particular note is post 4 of where you can get rid of unwanted items:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69806488&postcount=4

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!
    2017 2 Savers Club #19 - 33/100 Target
    1% Club - 29%/100% Declutter 2017 in 2017 - 951/2016
    Joint Overdraft: 1,400/1,500, Tesco (0%): 4,760.85/4,681.95
    DH Overdraft: 1,000 Virgin CC (0%):5,187.10/3,857.70
Page 32
    • gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 19th Mar 17, 10:41 AM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,719 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    On Wednesday evening I found 2 packs of Christmas themed fudge that I was going to give to my granddad for Christmas.

He passed away before I got chance to

So I have spent the time since then slowly making my way through it, savouring each and every bite, as I knew he would have as he absolutely loved fudge.

About to eat the last bit once I finish typing this up

Went into the city yesterday as my aunt wanted silk flowers so she could make buttonholes for everyone for my cousins wedding in 3 weeks

I also managed to get some supplies that I will run out of before I get paid again so that's alright
    • eandjsmum
    • By eandjsmum 19th Mar 17, 11:04 AM
    • 332 Posts
    • 4,176 Thanks
    eandjsmum
    The scrapings of jam from 2 jars used up and jars recycled. Also a box of Christmas choccies devoured.
    I am now busy finishing a summer blouse that has been sitting on my work box for weeks.
    Oh shredded paperwork so that's gone now.
    Also taken a painting of mine to be framed for an exhibition after that it will go up on my wall.

Did buy 4 books though
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 19th Mar 17, 11:13 AM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 14,980 Thanks
    oldtractor
    OUT a pair of worn but much loved slippers :-( IN a new pair
    Trying for 10 a day
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 19th Mar 17, 4:35 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 5,794 Thanks
    somerandom
    171 & 2 - more dead tights
    173 - vest top
    Originally posted by somerandom
    174. Bedspread
    175. dead rucksack
    176. book
    No Clutter to be seen 2017
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2017 231.06/365
    • Fiasco55
    • By Fiasco55 19th Mar 17, 5:17 PM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 15,031 Thanks
    Fiasco55
    331. Broken pedometer binned
    332. Travel bottle with missing lid binned
    333-335. Books returned to library
    336. Disposable plates used up
    337-339. Boxes recycled
    340-345. Bottles recycled
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017

Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 678 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038 so far 58.96
    • gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 19th Mar 17, 5:36 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,719 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    I think i have stopped with the whole pulling and putting things back from the charity shop bags thing that i was doing and now we actually have a few bags for life and shopping bag sized bags of stuff that is completely and utterly useless to us to go off to charity.

I think what I'm going to do though is rather than swamp the charity shop with loads of bags, I'll trickle it out of the house over the course of a few days. At least 2 or 3 of the bags are just clothes and I have heard of this scheme where you can take unwanted clothes to H&M/M&S and get a voucher in return but i need to look into it more to make sure it'll be worth doing as the nearest of either of those shops is a bit out of my way.
    • donnajt
    • By donnajt 19th Mar 17, 7:31 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 6,626 Thanks
    donnajt
    Hi all, haven't posted for awhile, life been complicated...still decluttering had best part of today decluttering kitchen not even half way thru but needed a bit of a break inbetween so cleaned bathroom and got rid of a few duplicates and gave it a good clean
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017
    Eat out of Freezer/Cupboards
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 19th Mar 17, 10:29 PM
    • 946 Posts
    • 10,752 Thanks
    Sue14
    I think i have stopped with the whole pulling and putting things back from the charity shop bags thing that i was doing and now we actually have a few bags for life and shopping bag sized bags of stuff that is completely and utterly useless to us to go off to charity.

I think what I'm going to do though is rather than swamp the charity shop with loads of bags, I'll trickle it out of the house over the course of a few days. At least 2 or 3 of the bags are just clothes and I have heard of this scheme where you can take unwanted clothes to H&M/M&S and get a voucher in return but i need to look into it more to make sure it'll be worth doing as the nearest of either of those shops is a bit out of my way.
    Originally posted by gemmajenkins0208
    This is what I need to do, I have a box of stuff and a couple of large bags of my late husband's clothes, in the spare room to go to the charity shop, but I just keep looking at them and walk out of the room and shut the door again. I've also got a few boxes of my late dad's stuff in the shed, ready to donate, and I need to go through the rest of DH's clothes, but I just can't face it yet. If my DH was still here he would have taken everything straight down to the shop, but I just can't be bothered, although I know he wouldn't be happy about me keeping this stuff so I need to sort myself out soon.
    Total weight loss 30.5 lbs
    Weight loss challenge 13.5/12
    January Grocery Challenge 23.61/100

• gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 20th Mar 17, 9:50 AM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,719 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    Oh Sue, don't rush yourself

Take all the time you need to sort through the possessions of your late husband and father, I believe it's all part of the grieving process.

Maybe even looking through some of it will bring back fond memories of them and fill you with comfort, donating said items to charity may help you feel a tad better knowing it will go on to another good home
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 21st Mar 17, 12:40 AM
    • 1,463 Posts
    • 11,212 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    584:sorted through a small bundle of papers that have been sitting on the sofa for a week or so
    585:had to throw out a 15 screen protector after trying soooooo many times to sit it straight on the phone,that it became crumpled,got dust under it,and wouldn't sit on the phone straight .Going to buy one from the 1 shop next time I am near the shops-can't go through all that malarky again

Got the day of tomorrow (Tuesday).House is clean after marathon cleaning session on Sunday,so don't need to do anything in that department.Think I will spend the time purely decluttering: I have got a couple of areas I have been meaning to get around to.And there is always paper .
    Roadkill Rebel #14,2016:35.50 12,000in2016 #82=3163
    SPC #155 x 7.SPC7=751.10 SPC8=651.04 SPC9=843.00
    Pinecone 286,Valued Opinions 10.50,Wombling 36.05

• DBX
    • By DBX 21st Mar 17, 2:26 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    DBX
    Make money out of clutter
    Out of my four bedrooms, my husband had three rooms full of his hoard accumulated over the last three decades. He passed away in 2014. I started selling his stuff on eBay and Facebook. I emptied two rooms within seven months. Now these two rooms are proper bedrooms. I rent them out to international students who are doing the course at a local university for 4-6 weeks. It was hard and frustrating work to empty the rooms, but now I am earning a decent amount as a result.
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 22nd Mar 17, 12:49 AM
    • 1,463 Posts
    • 11,212 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    Oh,I have got so much done today.I am really pleased with my efforts today:

After decluttering our bedroom a couple of weeks ago,one job I still had to do,was sort out a bedside cabinet that was yeeeeaaaarrrrs old,and the runners had broken,so drawers not really useable.So they became a dumping ground of not only their oroginal content,but other stuff being dumped (by me) ontop of the unit itself .

So I put a few items back where they belong,then decluttered:
    586:Christmas card from 2006-recycled
    587:lots of scraps of paper put out for recycling (because I already have a large enough stash of scrap paper )
    588:cryptic crossword puzzle book,with one puzzle done,in 1999 -recycled
    589:hard-cover address book recycled after tearing up the couple of pages with phone numbers written in it,except those of my parents mobiles-those pages ("M" for mum,and "D" for dad),I have kept.Just because.

I kept all flight-tickets/boarding passes from over the last 17 years.Not sure why.Might go through them in more detail another time
    590-591:binned a couple of 16year old letters/postcards from friends who were travelling (and who are still friends now).But I kept the couple of letters I was able to find, from my long-time penfriend,who I have lost touch with

Found a fleece,still with labels on.15yo daughter was very happy to receive it
    Found old school polo-shirts.Kept 2,donated 6 others for the charity rag bag
    592:old pair scissors,binned
    593-595:3 magazines binned
    596:old box of photo corners binned (and for those of you under the age of about 30............)
    597:old writing paper and envelopes (so old their texture had changed slightly,and they had defintiely lost their sticky)-recycled
    598:total of 13 non-working pens binned.I did,however,find a "real" pen,monogrammed about 35-40 years ago,and it was still working .I have put it in a more prominent drawer so I may start using it
    599: then I tipped the random detritus straight into the bin: a small bag of buttons,key ring,whistle,thermometer,thermometer covers..

• Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 22nd Mar 17, 1:32 AM
    • 1,463 Posts
    • 11,212 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    After sorting through the bedside cabinet,I started on a couple of bags of stuff waiting ( in decluttered front room),for donation.
    Then I drove 3 bags of stuff to the charity shop.These contained:
    600:packet of Winnie-the-Pooh thank you cards
    601:cube puzzle
    602:bouncy ball
    603-604:2 books
    605:another packet of thank you cards
    606:Dory swimming goggles,still in packaging
    607:fairy blanket
    608-610: 3 cookbooks for weaning/toddlers
    611:steady cup
    612-638:kid's clothes
    639-667:bag of rags:kids clothes in no state to sell,my clothes with bleach stains from working,outgrown underpants.....just realised I also meant to donate my mahoosive montain of odd socks.Next time....

When I got home,I photographed a few toys (from the cupboard of doom ) that I will eventually get around to listing for sale.

Tonight I did a job I have been meaning to do for a while: sort out my small shelving unit of clothes.It is only a small unit (3 shelves,about 1 metre across.)Everything is just shoved inside.TOnight I divided it into sections for t-shirts,trousers for work,trousers for home,jumpers for work and home,and going out clothes.Looks lovely.I set aside a few clothes to donate and rag,will count those when they go out.

Because there is no room on the shelves,my underwear and socks sit in boxes ontop of the shelving unit.I took each box,folded socks Kondo-style,so they are no longer over-flowing the box.Looks lovely.Underwear was decluttered a little,sorted (not Kondo).I desperately need to buy new bras (last done 4 years ago),so tonight I researched a couple of charities that take used bras.WHen I have bought replacements,I will sent them off.

I am really in the mood to have another day off tomorrow,and continue blitzing this house.Unfortunately my customers might not be impressed with that.Neither might my bank balance .

• Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 22nd Mar 17, 10:04 AM
    • 685 Posts
    • 2,573 Thanks
    Fruittea
    You're doing so well Saver-Upper - it's great to get so much done. I had a bit of a go on the packed up boxes yesterday - I now have 3 empty boxes and all my cookery and gardening books are back on the shelves and in the right place.
    Here's my update:
    535 recycled 10 old non working solar lights
    536 Glass vase CS
    537 Paperweight CS
    565 Books CS
    566 Seed rack front gate
    I'll be trying to Ebay some clothes later on - well hopefully.
    "Save 12k in 2017" - 9970.12 Number 71
    May Grocery Challenge 0.00/150.00
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

No Clutter To Be Seen 476/2017
    • jillybarchester
    • By jillybarchester 22nd Mar 17, 10:36 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    jillybarchester
    I am helping my daughter declutter and we have started with her loft space. I've now got 6 bin bags of clean/near perfect soft toys in my living room. All the soft toys that were marked CE have gone to my very grateful charity shop but I now need to know what to do with the rest. Amongst them are teddy bears and Walt Disney toys that have just stood on a shelf - never ever been cuddled. Please don't tell me that I have to take them to the local tip!! Suggestions please?
    • gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 22nd Mar 17, 10:38 AM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,719 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    I am helping my daughter declutter and we have started with her loft space. I've now got 6 bin bags of clean/near perfect soft toys in my living room. All the soft toys that were marked CE have gone to my very grateful charity shop but I now need to know what to do with the rest. Amongst them are teddy bears and Walt Disney toys that have just stood on a shelf - never ever been cuddled. Please don't tell me that I have to take them to the local tip!! Suggestions please?
    Originally posted by jillybarchester
    You could offer them on one of the facebook selling sites? I'm sure there are little girls(and boys!) out there who would love some extra teddies to cuddle
    • cherie1122
    • By cherie1122 22nd Mar 17, 11:01 AM
    • 387 Posts
    • 1,510 Thanks
    cherie1122
    I've sometimes seen them advertised on Freecycle.

• gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 22nd Mar 17, 10:07 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,719 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    All rubbish gone out for weekly collection tomorrow. Some OOD food from the fridge and cupboards and the remnants of mums birthday cake eaten, board binned and airtight tub it was in washed and put away.

We have finally been allowed to collect the possessions that belonged to my grandad that he left for us. My brother is currently sorting out the area where his desk is as he's having my grandads old desk, he is also having my grandads old laptop. My dad is having my grandads old office chair(a very expensive, very high quality chair) and i will have my dads old chair.

Oh and one of the items on the sell pile is being collected tomorrow
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 23rd Mar 17, 1:38 AM
    • 1,463 Posts
    • 11,212 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    You're doing so well Saver-Upper - it's great to get so much done.
    Originally posted by Fruittea
    Thank you Fruittea.Yes,I love big marathon sessions like that.As long as I don't drift onto the computer (checking emails,lurking here,etc),,then I can get alot done.Such a feeeling of satisfaction after days like those.

Tonight:
    668:sorted out the "little messes"( in front room and bedroom) that resulted from yesterday's whirlwind blitz-papers put away,mostly

When I was sorting out my socks and undies yesterday,I realised I had another box of not-used-for-years bras in the shelving unit at the top of the stairs.Tonight I emptied the box-several pairs of tights set aside for the rag-bag to go to charity (they must be very old,cos I haven't worn tights since I stopped working to have my first child 15 years ago ).I also found a couple of pairs of knee-highs and footlets,which I put in my newly-organised boxes.The bras (12 !!),hardly worn,I will donate to Smalls for All.Will count them out when they go.

Emptied a bag of random stuff:
    669:very old mobile phone box/instructions/warranty papers out for recycling
    I also found a very old mobile (probably about 10years) and 3 chargers to fit it.Turns out those chargers also fit my current phone,so will put them in my box of chrgers,because my kids are always borrowing/temporarily losing my chargers,so these will be very handy.

From same bag I also found
    670:old Christmas cards -recycled
    671:old booklet of Christmas stickers-thought about keeping these for 8yo,but binned instead.
    672:lots of children's drawings set aside to file tomorrow.
    673:bundle of receipts for 4 kid's school uniforms from September 2013-shredded.I did,however,keep the receipt for son's first secondary school uniform.No real reason,but these are the sorts of things I keep

Things I put back into the bag because I couldn't be bothered mking decisions about,included a child's book of drawings,lots of loose pages of drawing,and 4 pairs of Heeleys wheel removers .

• gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 23rd Mar 17, 11:22 AM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,719 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    The lady came for the item I was selling, so that's a small space on the landing recovered

My brother has finished sorting out his desk area ready for my granddads desk being delivered on Saturday and he's on about getting rid of another piece of furniture in his room altogether.

I have listed a couple other furniture items that are taking up space on our landing and I still have the box from the new monitor I bought a few weeks ago but it's recycling next week so I'll get rid of that then

I literally cannot wait until tomorrow evening as dad has said I can take his office chair which means I can get rid of my old, cheap, shot one

He won't go on his computer at night so I can take it up tomorrow evening instead of waiting until Saturday morning
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

597Posts Today

5,359Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin