Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sa1sysoo
    • By Sa1sysoo 29th Dec 16, 9:34 AM
    • 232Posts
    • 815Thanks
    Sa1sysoo
    2017 - No Clutter To Be Seen
    • 29th Dec 16, 9:34 AM
    2017 - No Clutter To Be Seen 29th Dec 16 at 9:34 AM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/my own wording, "A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017!"

I'm going to aim to get rid of 2017 items in 2017.
    There are some lovely tips on the KonMari thread here, set up by the talented greent: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5385103

Of particular note is post 4 of where you can get rid of unwanted items:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69806488&postcount=4

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!
    2017 £2 Savers Club #19 - £34/£100 Target
    1% Club - 30%/100% Declutter 2017 in 2017 - 263/2016
    Joint Overdraft: £1,400/£1,500, Tesco (0%): £4,808.85/£4,681.95
    DH Overdraft: £1,000 Virgin CC (0%):£5,187.10/£3,857.70
Page 30
    • gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 7th Mar 17, 10:03 AM
    • 390 Posts
    • 2,564 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    A shampoo and a mouthwash used up last night during my evening routine

Both bottles put out for recycling which has meant a little bit of space gained back in the bathroom as ours is littered with various bottles of shampoo, conditioner and body wash

I have scoped out a couple of bottles with hardly anything left in them. These are a shampoo, a body wash(albeit a men's one but they all do the same thing!) and a shave gel. Turned them upside down(apart from the shave gel) to make it easier to get the last bits out during showers over the next few days, the resulting empty bottles(and can) will then be put in recycling thus making even more space in the bathroom

I am also about to use up a deodorant(then will pull last one from stash ) and a body spray while getting ready for work(also then moving on to last one from stash!) and will toss the cans in downstairs bin just before I leave the house
    Last edited by gemmajenkins0208; 07-03-2017 at 10:34 AM.
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 7th Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    The decluttering is going very slowly here but I've managed a couple more things

67 handful of recipes torn from magazines and never used
    68 hand sanitiser
    69 leaky bubble mixture
    70-71 books
    72 out of date calpol
    73-74 old half-used tubes of nappy cream
    75 handful of nappy bags (son has been potty trained for a year)
    76 very old calamine cream
    77 out of date (by 3 years!) money off coupons
    78 last year's National Trust handbook

I shall make a concerted effort to do some more at the weekend.
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 7th Mar 17, 3:57 PM
    • 2,219 Posts
    • 14,966 Thanks
    oldtractor
    OUT general kitchen waste and a pair of old shoes.
    Trying for 10 a day
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 7th Mar 17, 11:19 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 10,794 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    I had a day off today,and,after finishing the front room on Sunday,the plan for today was to "declutter" OH and my bedroom.To explain,when we packed up all our belongings to prepare for house extension in Sept 15,just about everything belonging to the rooms that were being demolished and rebuilt (kitchen,dining room,large garage,utility room),was boxed up.

Now,I am not using the word lightly,but my OH,is a real hoarder.You really wouldn't believe the stuff he holds onto.The garage we had demolished,literally,was full,floor to ceiling,with boxes of his "stuff".Just sooooooooo much stuffffffffffffff..

So when we moved back into our brand new,sparkling extended house,he moved alot of his stuff back into the re-built garage (now a very nice man-cave,and set it up how he wants it.However,alot of it was still in our bedroom .

For the last couple of days I have been telling him I would start on our bedroom today.And I did.To his mancave,I transferred every box,every plastic container,every pile of paper,every bag of paper,every 1/2 collection of prepping supplies,every DVD,CD,every bag of concrete(!),every bag of plaster(!),every box of broken tiles and laminate off-cuts (just incase.....),every bag of spontaneous buys from cheap-jack shops......All gone .

Now,of course,I couldn't just throw all his belongings straight into the bin-he needs to sort through it.And I know he won't do that for many years yet.But at least it is now in "his" space.A converted,cluttered garage space is not an area I will spend any time-I can just close the door on it .But our bedroom is ,of course,part of the family home,and it looks beautiful.Probably just a little toooo empty,though I am sure that will be fixed with the addition of a few photos on the bare walls,maybe a light-shade,maybe even a cupboard for my clothes .
    Total time spent "decluttering" today,6 hours 45 minutes (spread out over 12 hours).

Last edited by Saver-upper; 08-03-2017 at 1:18 AM.
    Roadkill Rebel #14,2016:£35.50 £12,000in2016 #82=£3163
    SPC #155 x 7.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00
    Pinecone £283,Valued Opinions £10.50,Wombling £36.05

• gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 8th Mar 17, 10:31 AM
    • 390 Posts
    • 2,564 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    Oh, I haven't mentioned it for a while, but dad and I are still going strong with our reduced alcohol/energy drink(respectively) intake

He does have one or 2 over the weekend but we are the kind of people who always have a Sunday roast without fail and see Sunday as the day of rest

I also may have one on the way to work on Friday mornings(last working day of the week) and may buy a coffee for the bus home, depending on what I feel like(sometimes after a week at work I'm too tired to do anything when I get home and on Fridays I like to change my bedsheets, jump in the shower, put my work clothes on to wash from the week and do some other bits and bobs to set me up for the weekend )

This weekend, although once again not decluttering in the strict sense, simply put, my boyfriend and I are gamers(probably obvious from where I said about games consoles when I bought a new tv unit the other week), and there is this one game I started playing months ago and I still haven't completed yet

So my aim this weekend(preferably Friday evening as I don't think I actually have much left to complete on the game, and I don't need to go to bed early for work the next day) I'm going to complete it!

I don't think this is just about decluttering really, I think it's also completing all those half-done things that were started and then just stopped due to real life getting in the way
    Last edited by gemmajenkins0208; 08-03-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 8th Mar 17, 11:20 AM
    • 660 Posts
    • 2,501 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Back from my travels and ready to do more decluttering. Here's a quick update before I read back:
    477 – Candle light thing – CS
    478 - 3rd carpet – tip
    480 – 2 paint pots bin
    "Save 12k in 2017" - £9918.12 Number 71
    April Grocery Challenge £47.70/£150.00
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

No Clutter To Be Seen 476/2017
    • eandjsmum
    • By eandjsmum 8th Mar 17, 6:42 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 4,151 Thanks
    eandjsmum
    Not much going on here, just using up toiletry mountain. House now much clearer. I will get round to sorting out much more stuff later Though.
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 9th Mar 17, 10:09 AM
    • 660 Posts
    • 2,501 Thanks
    Fruittea
    Well I passed the 500 mark yesterday and feel quite good about keeping on track. There's still plenty to do and the house looks more untidy when I'm in it. but hey ho.
    I'm still trying to make time for reading - so I can then get rid of the books. And I'm making some bread this morning as I have quite a bit of flour which needs to shift. Here's my update:
    481 – Christmas cards recycled
    482 – birthday cards recycled
    483 – 9 dvds CS
    494 – 3 Cds CS
    495 – top – bin
    496 – Duvet set – CS
    497 – 3 books – CS
    498 – Piece of felt – CS
    499 – Assessment book – bin
    500 – notebook – bin
    501 – Stack of paper - recycled
    "Save 12k in 2017" - £9918.12 Number 71
    April Grocery Challenge £47.70/£150.00
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

No Clutter To Be Seen 476/2017
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 10th Mar 17, 8:43 AM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 10,794 Thanks
    Saver-upper

While sitting down tonight,I sorted through 2small bundles of papers: some mail to be filed,school reports to keep,cards from kids to keep,some expired vouchers to shred/recycle.Will count this,plus kids' paper-sorting,as 1,so 437.
    Originally posted by Saver-upper
    438:last night,while watching tv,sorted through another small bundle of papers-mostly Christmas receipts.I have always liked keeping receipts for Chritmas and birthdays,as a record of what pressies the kids get as they get older,but I couldn't tell you where the receipts are.Might be in random envelopes, in various boxes around the house.Maybe in another cull, I will decluter them as I find them.
    Some Christmas receipts I do nneed to keep,for the warranty.

Every day this week,I have told myself I am going to do decluttering that night,after kids have gone to bed.Apart from a couple of bundles of paper,nothing has been done.ANd the front room I finished decluttering last weekend is still full of bags of stuff for charity shops.Hope to do a bit of catching up n the weekend.

• KitKatMum2
    • By KitKatMum2 10th Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    KitKatMum2
    Latest List...

567. watch
    568. novelty pen
    569.-570. baby clothes
    571.-573 bibs
    574.-575 toys
    576.-577 hair accessories
    577.-584 earrings
    585-586. underwear
    587-589. books
    590. skirt
    591. dental stuff
    592-.595 bracelets
    596. necklace
    597 - 600 perfume
    601-602. beauty samples
    603. bath bomb
    604. cup
    605. candle
    • gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 10th Mar 17, 10:42 AM
    • 390 Posts
    • 2,564 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    Just changed my bedsheets and cracked the window open as, for once, the boyfriend was up as he had to be somewhere for 10!

I still want to try and play that game I want to complete tonight when I'm home form work, had dinner and a shower.

I think I'm going to have to go through the charity shop bags as I pulled a pair of jeans back out from one of the bags the other day and there are a couple other things I'm looking for and I'm sure I've put them in one of the bags. I think I was a bit overzealous with getting rid of things

I'm busy all week with work and then I usually get the weekends to myself but this weekend will be the last weekend for a while as we have lots going on over the next month or so - a hen night, a wedding, shopping for outfits/accessories to complete our outfits, nail/hair appointments etc. so I want to try and do what I can in/around the house this weekend - completing that game, finally sorting out the airing cupboard, and I need to take new pictures of the stuff we're trying to sell and relist it all
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 10th Mar 17, 10:31 PM
    • 768 Posts
    • 5,639 Thanks
    somerandom
    168. dead tights - bin
    169. hoodie
    170. nightie
    Originally posted by somerandom
    171 & 2 - more dead tights
    173 - vest top
    No Clutter to be seen 2017
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2017 £91.94/£365
    • Aberdeen5
    • By Aberdeen5 11th Mar 17, 4:12 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    Aberdeen5
    409 -415. Clothes recycled

One more box down from the loft with bits

416 - 425. Screws and bolts to garage
    426. Another packet of golf tee to garage
    427 430. 5 Xmas bows to Christmas box
    431. 434. Elastic bands to stationery drawer
    435. £1.51. In coins at bottom of box. (Put in purse)
    436 2.25 Euro put in holiday box
    437 441 . 5 Xmas presents bought in January put in the loft

442 444. Toiletries finished

445. One years accounts finished and excess papers /receipts shredded
    446 448. 3 birthday cards used
    449. Present from stash
    Last edited by Aberdeen5; 11-03-2017 at 4:15 PM.
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 11th Mar 17, 4:23 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    A few more bits today :

79 diffuser
    80 cushion
    81-83 cardboard boxes
    84-88 Empty / dried up toiletries
    89 big handful of son's drawings
    • Fiasco55
    • By Fiasco55 11th Mar 17, 4:29 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 14,945 Thanks
    Fiasco55
    Playing catch up here. Best I can remember is...

278. Porefessional used up
    279. Shower gel used up
    280. Eye gel binned
    281. Eye cream used up
    282. Put toilet roll away from Costco run
    283-284. Toiletries donated to cs
    285. Lamp dropped off at owners
    286-308. OOD food binned!!
    309-312. Boxes recycled
    313-319. Bottles recycled
    320. Bottle of bleach used up
    321. Paperwork filed
    Last edited by Fiasco55; 11-03-2017 at 4:38 PM.
    No buying toiletries total Outs 770

Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 468 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038 so far £
    • gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 11th Mar 17, 6:29 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 2,564 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    So i have spent today sorting out my wardrobe, and the various bags and their contents, yet again

A lot tidier now in and around the wardrobe.

I have took my work clothes off the hangers and opted for folding instead. I just don't think it needs to be hung up, it's just t shirt style tops and fleeces so nothing that can get creased too easily

All of my blue and black pairs of jeans are hung as i wear them to work but my coloured pairs are folded.

All of my dresses/my suit/my smart tops are hung which i want like that but most of my normal tops/tshirts are hung apart from cami/vest tops which are folded but I'm not sure i really want it like that, but i can't think how else to do it! Any ideas?

I don't have any drawer storage in my room at all(apart 3 very small drawers in my desk which already have things in them that i want there), just 3 rails and 3 shelves in my wardrobe
    • skint_chick
    • By skint_chick 11th Mar 17, 7:17 PM
    • 636 Posts
    • 5,072 Thanks
    skint_chick

All of my dresses/my suit/my smart tops are hung which i want like that but most of my normal tops/tshirts are hung apart from cami/vest tops which are folded but I'm not sure i really want it like that, but i can't think how else to do it! Any ideas?

I don't have any drawer storage in my room at all(apart 3 very small drawers in my desk which already have things in them that i want there), just 3 rails and 3 shelves in my wardrobe
    Originally posted by gemmajenkins0208
    If you have space on the shelves then you could fold your tops, if not and you prefer them folded then one of those shoe cubby things that hangs from the rail then you can fold them in the cubbys.

Decluttered 4 bin liners to the skip today full of OH's shredded paperwork, football boots with broken studs, old yellowing pillow, old soft toy that smelled mostly empty toiletry bottles of products no-one uses, broken rabbit litter tray, and some other junk plus 2 bags with broken zips he'd been hoarding and another framed picture that reminds me of my ex. Put up a replacement picture which I love, finished organising my stationery into my new desk and recycled 2 more plastic containers I don't need.

The house is almost finished, my study has just one shelf, a pinboard, and the desk with my sewing machine and printer at the side of the desk.

The spare room has an empty wardrobe and drawers that were there when I moved in and are too heavy to remove - and I'm going to paint them with chalk furniture paint. Our suitcases and travel stuff are under the spare bed. Even my boiler cupboard now only has the Christmas stuff and some wrapping paper. Everywhere looks a bit empty, everything is contained now. There's just an old tv unit and some decorative vases with pebbles to go to the charity shop on Monday, and then I'm taking a few weeks off decluttering. I will be focusing on throwing out smaller items as I realise I don't need them now that the big changes are done.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 11th Mar 17, 9:00 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 10,794 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    I have had a bitty day today.Did get a couple of worthwhile jobs done,but the house still looks a bit chaotic .I like my SUndays because OH goes out with all 4 kids,and I really blitz the house,in whichever way I fell like:maybe thorough clean throughout,maybe declutter,maybe sort through piles of papers,maybe got to the tip,or do grocery shop.........

However ,my Sunday to myself is going to be cut short,because a neighbour asked if I could babysit for them from about 5.30pm.So I really need to focus on whatever I chose to do tomorrow.No wasting hours on MSE and procrastinating........

So today:
    sorted out younger daughters' book corner.As well as there being large book-case,shoved in front of that was a trofast unit,holding nothing in particular.I knew I would be able to empty the buckets in it,put toys in other trofast units in the room,and dis-assemble the unit,maybe sell it.While I wasin that corner of doom,I decluttered
    439:a slap-band that we bought for Rememberance day.I really did feel dreadfully disrespectful throwing it away,but wasn't sure what else to do-it wa going to kick around the house for years otherwise.I told myself the Royal Legion got the donation for it,but still felt bad
    440:tubes of Halloween make-up: binned
    441:pair of cheap plastic scissors that look like they've come off the front of a kid's magazine: binned
    442-458:17 books from the bookshelf,that kids have ddefinitely grown out of
    459:a cookbook I found while I was looking for something else

460-498:
    Another job I did was look through the bags of clothes youngest daughters had decluttered from their wardrobes last weekend.Set aside any that i knew would go to the rag bag,and bundled up 3 supermarket bags of clothes

I drove the books and clothes to charity shop this afternoon.Good to have out of the house.

Another job I did this afternoon was sort out phones,phone boxes and chargers.Not sure if I have mentioned before,but in early October I bought a new mobile to replace my 4yo one.By late October,I had dropped and smashed said replacement phone,and needed to claim replacement under insurance.Then,when I was out with kids spending their Christmas money,a few days after Christmas,My phone actually broke while being carried around in my jacket pocket,despite having a "military grade" screen protector,and being in a silicone phone case .

SO,for a few months,I have had spare pretty boxes,instructions,warranties,a contract,chargers,etc,sitting all together in a couple of the original paper bags the original phones came in,which was now ripped.

I did two jobs in one.I stored all my phone chargers and earphones (I now have about 4 brand new chargers and sets of earphones,cos each new phone came with one),and charger for my camera,and for my video camers,in a plastic box from IKea that has been sitting around empty for nearly 12months.It has removable dividers,so I could make each division the shape I needed (video camera charger is very big,for example).So this cleared up a big clutter in my house,which I am pleased about.

I am also going to count the three boxes that I recycled as aresult og thid exercise,because I have always hated throwing out strong,expensive looking boxes like this.I have always held onto them,just because they look expensive,even though I may never use them-just put them in the loft.So going to count 499-501for these.

• Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 12th Mar 17, 1:36 AM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 10,794 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    I am trying to get into the habit of decluttering papers when I sit down to watch TV in the evening.Over the last couple of months,I have cetainly found enoughof them,and put them all aside.
    502:an assortment of recipes I had pulled out of magazines or photocopied from book years ago!!I found recipes from magazines/newspapers dated 1997 .Never used,so they have been mostly put out for recycling.A few I did keep,either for my 13yo to try (has been really enjoying learning to cook the last month or so),or because they were recipes I had found when I went to Slimming World.There was always alot of recipe swapping going on there,so I kept a few of those.

• eandjsmum
    • By eandjsmum 12th Mar 17, 11:11 AM
    • 331 Posts
    • 4,151 Thanks
    eandjsmum
    Nothing done this weekend. Tidied Garden so Broken flower pots have been recycled and leaves swept up. Dead hose plants have been thrown out. Threw out a pair of OH rotten underpants. Have a small pile of paperwork to sort through and a very large pile of washing.

Still busy using up toiletries though and no shopping done this weekend so nothing has come into the house apart from food
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,169Posts Today

8,298Users online

Martin's Twitter