Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 27th Dec 16, 7:03 PM
    • 10,283Posts
    • 26,417Thanks
    benbenandme
    Ready to do it all over again ...
    • 27th Dec 16, 7:03 PM
    Ready to do it all over again ... 27th Dec 16 at 7:03 PM
    Hello, thank you for popping by

I have been a regular on the debt free diaries board for years as well as dipping in here at times. I did join in Tallgirls Mortgage Free in 3 Challenge several years ago and have had several diaries over the years. This is the first time I've had one here though despite never actually being in debt I always felt it could happen oh so easily so treated myself as if I was a dfw.

So, 2017 and my new diary here ...

I have lived in my lovely flat with my ds (13) for the last 9 years and finally it looks as though we will be moving in the new year. I have sold my flat to a cash buyer and have had an offer accepted on a 2 bed little house. I will probably put stuff into storage and stay with my Mum for a few weeks while the house goes through as my buyers are very keen to complete asap and I don't want to risk losing them as I have already had one sale fall through due to brexit.

Normally at this point between Christmas and New Year I begin planning my aims for the coming year, setting goals - usually financial related, and generally getting everything organised ready to tackle whatever I have planned. This normally is a £££ goal to knock off the mortgage etc.

This year however everything is a bit unknown as I can't predict how much I can save etc at this point. But what I can do is take stock of exactly where I'm at now and make lists, I do like lists , of things I need to do to make as many pennies as possible / minimise spends where possible.
    Mortgage Total: £75,000 £73,315 Mortgage End Date: May 2040
    Brother's loan: £4500 / £25,000
    Holiday Fund: £667 / £1800
Page 36
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 1st Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    • 10,283 Posts
    • 26,417 Thanks
    benbenandme
    So it's a new month, and there aren't that many left this year. The aims for this month are:
    • Stick to budget (half-term needs planning)
    • Get on track with food shopping
    • Earn a £5 Amazon voucher every week
    • Make £100 for the holiday fund

My brothers fund is well on its way this month already, thanks to the rebate from the gas/electric account and the interest added this morning. It now only needs another £66 and I already know I *should* get £110 from quidco this week. This would mean my brothers fund is sorted for October and would give me £44 towards the holiday fund, meaning I need to earn another £56 from somewhere this month to meet that goal.

The Swagbucks target is inspired by Betterthanever - I dabble in Swagbucks occasionally but this month I want to earn £5 a week - if I can meet my daily targets on there this will earn me bonus points too, today I have already earned 353 points, so well on my way for the first £5 (700 points needed, ie. 100 points a day).

Half-term is at the end of the month, I already have a few bits planned and I need to make sure they are budgeted for.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 1st Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    • 10,283 Posts
    • 26,417 Thanks
    benbenandme
    I've been to Sainsburys, returned an item for £7 and spent £17 on bits and pieces for today and tomorrow, so £10 overall spend. I've also done a tesco order for tuesday (£50) which should see me stocked up on various bits and pieces for the month, I've emptied the washing basket and made the beds.

Ds has yet another puncture so we need to sort that out today ...
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 1st Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    • 10,283 Posts
    • 26,417 Thanks
    benbenandme
    We've swapped ds mattress for Mums spare one that she doesn't use anymore, and taken his old one to the tip. We've also sorted the front tyre - I cut my losses and bought a new tyre (the back one was replaced in the summer). It was £30 in total, that will come from the car maintenance fund. Ds has re-attached it to the biks so that problem is fixed.

I also found a 2 litre bottle of Fanta and a 2 litre bottle of Dr Pepper in the boot under my dog walking coat which was a nice surprise
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Oct 17, 3:30 PM
    • 49,020 Posts
    • 181,957 Thanks
    beanielou
    You are on fire
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 1st Oct 17, 4:08 PM
    • 10,283 Posts
    • 26,417 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Thank you Beanie, it has felt like a productive weekend but also a calm one

Dinner is on, we're having a lamb, apricot and prune morrocan stew thing. I did it in the slow cooker last time but this time have done it in the oven, will serve with basmati rice. I did buy a french stick to have with it too but ds demolished that at lunchtime

A friend from work has text me to say a girl has been hit by a train at the local station today, I'm hoping it's not one of ours
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Oct 17, 4:10 PM
    • 49,020 Posts
    • 181,957 Thanks
    beanielou
    Really hope it is not one of your pupils too

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 2nd Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    • 10,283 Posts
    • 26,417 Thanks
    benbenandme
    A nice gentle day today, we had an inset day so were finished by 2

I've met my Swagbucks target today, tonight I need to do a couple of other surveys from my inbox, do the ironing that didn't get done yesterday, have a warm bath and continue reading a book I started last night

No money made today as yet, but none spent either
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    • 49,020 Posts
    • 181,957 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you had a quiet day yesterday

• benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 3rd Oct 17, 7:16 PM
    • 10,283 Posts
    • 26,417 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Today was a straight forward kinda day, nothing major to report, but everythings ticking along nicely. I sold an item on ebay (£13) so will add that to the pot, dinners in the oven (pizza), tesco shopping arrived and I need to submit my clicksnap receipt.

I've met my swagbucks target for today, I'm nearly ready for my bath, right now lifes not so bad

Tomorrow ds has his Camhs appointment, I try not to get too excited about it as its just an interim catchup really
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 3rd Oct 17, 8:59 PM
    • 10,283 Posts
    • 26,417 Thanks
    benbenandme
    £3 in from my monthly bank reward, £50 to go for this months target for my brothers fund, then onwards with the holiday fund
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 3rd Oct 17, 11:11 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 2,174 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Glad I've inspired you to hit the swagbucks a bit more! I've set myself a £5 per week target too. Very achievable. I've reached October's target already!!

Current balance £114,744.64. Offset £2,151.73. £112,592.91 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 03/29 but aiming for 10/22

Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Oct 17, 3:44 PM
    • 49,020 Posts
    • 181,957 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope the CAHMS appointment goes positivitly.

• benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 4th Oct 17, 4:23 PM
    • 10,283 Posts
    • 26,417 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Thanks Beanie - it went okay, a bit weird really; ds was really good and engaged completely with it today, he was very open and told her how he's feeling, everything that's happened since the last appointment etc. She listened lots, asked lots of questions, then basically said "It sounds as though your feelings of depressions etc are due to your lack of friends, so you need to go and find some friends,there's nothing really we can offer" but then went on to say they'll see him again in December

So pretty much we're on our own Nothing I didn't already know but frustrating as if making friends for ds was easy we wouldnt be here in the first place

In other news, we popped to Wasterstones afterwards and got 2 of the 3 texts he needs for English literature using a book token he's had knocking around for a couple of years

I also have ordered a £5 Amazon voucher from Swagbucks, as usual this won't be added to the savings pot until I spend it on a gift then I can transfer the money from the gift fund.

So tonight is chicken korma night, maybe a bit of pottering, and enjoy the return of the Apprentice
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Oct 17, 4:29 PM
    • 49,020 Posts
    • 181,957 Thanks
    beanielou
    Jeez. You could not make it up.
    A fat lot of help that was ~~not.
    I just dont know what to say TBH.

• benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 7th Oct 17, 7:21 AM
    • 10,283 Posts
    • 26,417 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Morning all, yesterday involved another meltdown, today ds is off to his Dads so I will get some calm time today

£10 withdrawn from a survey site, I've hit my swagbucks target every day this week which I'm pleased with too

I don't really have any plans yet this weekend, there's no football today so I may go and do some Christmas planning or tidy the garden up a bit, not sure yet.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 7th Oct 17, 7:46 AM
    • 10,283 Posts
    • 26,417 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Another £5 Amazon voucher ordered too
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 7th Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    • 10,283 Posts
    • 26,417 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Ds has been dropped off at the station, a cup of tea has been drunk, my bed has been stripped and remade, looking forward to a nice clean bed after Strictly tonight, followed by a lie-in tomorrow
    The first load of washing is in, the dishwasher is on, windows are open, my room just needs a clean and hoover. Time for a list I reckon, nothing too urgent just bits and pieces I can get done while pottering this weekend:
    • All rubbish out
    • Empty dishwasher
    • Clear washing mountain
    • Ironing
    • Clean ds bedroom
    • Clean my bedroom
    • Clean bathroom
    • Clean downstairs loo
    • Water indoor plants
    • Sort the central heating
    • Clean the marks off the carpet
    • Hoover through
    • Sweep floors
    • Buy lightbulbs and fit
    • Clear paperwork pile
    • Reach Swagbucks target
    • Empty out handbag
    • Sevearl trips to the tip
    • Tidy up front garden
    • Food shopping
    • Sort pots in the back garden
    • Sort garden furniture
    • Check banking
    • Clean out the car
    • Buy petrol
    • Watch the Apprentice on catchup
    • Collect stuff from Boots
    Last edited by benbenandme; 07-10-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    • 49,020 Posts
    • 181,957 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thatís some list!

• benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 7th Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    • 10,283 Posts
    • 26,417 Thanks
    benbenandme
    I was fairly productive but then got sidetracked by some online bingo

Anyway, time to update the list:

All rubbish out DONE
    Empty dishwasher DONE
    Clear washing mountain 3 LOADS DONE, THE REST WILL BE TOMORROW
    Ironing
    Clean ds bedroom DONE
    Clean my bedroom DONE
    Clean bathroom DONE
    Clean downstairs loo DONE
    Water indoor plants DONE
    Sort the central heating
    Clean the marks off the carpet
    Hoover through
    Sweep floors
    Buy lightbulbs and fit DONE
    Clear paperwork pile
    Reach Swagbucks target
    Empty out handbag
    Sevearl trips to the tip
    Tidy up front garden
    Food shopping DONE A FEW BITS, NEED TO ORDER FOR DELIVERY
    Sort pots in the back garden
    Sort garden furniture
    Check banking
    Clean out the car
    Buy petrol DONE
    Watch the Apprentice on catchup
    Collect stuff from Boots SHOP WAS SHUT, WILL DO MONDAY
    So we went to the shops, I spent £18.87 in Sainsburys on bits and pieces, but I returned some trousers that ds wouldn't wear (£14) so only £4.87 to pay, then I can claim £1.10 back from checkoutsmart, and I scanned a swipe and win vouchers which gave me £1 worth of nectar points and the till gave me another voucher worth £2.50 of nectar points. So all in all, I end up 27p worse off

I also spent £43 on filling up the car with petrol and £6 on the light bulbs. Is it just me or are they nowadays sooo confusing?? Why did they mess with all the w and v ratings?

So, time to tidy and clean downstairs then a strictly fest in front of the telly
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 7th Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    • 10,283 Posts
    • 26,417 Thanks
    benbenandme
    I've finally got to todays Swagbucks target, it was a slog to get there today
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

214Posts Today

2,023Users online

Martin's Twitter