Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 27th Dec 16, 7:03 PM
    • 10,169Posts
    • 26,132Thanks
    benbenandme
    Ready to do it all over again ...
    • 27th Dec 16, 7:03 PM
    Ready to do it all over again ... 27th Dec 16 at 7:03 PM
    Hello, thank you for popping by

I have been a regular on the debt free diaries board for years as well as dipping in here at times. I did join in Tallgirls Mortgage Free in 3 Challenge several years ago and have had several diaries over the years. This is the first time I've had one here though despite never actually being in debt I always felt it could happen oh so easily so treated myself as if I was a dfw.

So, 2017 and my new diary here ...

I have lived in my lovely flat with my ds (13) for the last 9 years and finally it looks as though we will be moving in the new year. I have sold my flat to a cash buyer and have had an offer accepted on a 2 bed little house. I will probably put stuff into storage and stay with my Mum for a few weeks while the house goes through as my buyers are very keen to complete asap and I don't want to risk losing them as I have already had one sale fall through due to brexit.

Normally at this point between Christmas and New Year I begin planning my aims for the coming year, setting goals - usually financial related, and generally getting everything organised ready to tackle whatever I have planned. This normally is a £££ goal to knock off the mortgage etc.

This year however everything is a bit unknown as I can't predict how much I can save etc at this point. But what I can do is take stock of exactly where I'm at now and make lists, I do like lists , of things I need to do to make as many pennies as possible / minimise spends where possible.
    Mortgage Total: £75,000 £73,527 Mortgage End Date: May 2040
    Brother's loan: £3480 / £25,000
    Holiday Fund: £452 / £1800
Page 21
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 18th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    • 10,169 Posts
    • 26,132 Thanks
    benbenandme
    So, decided this morning that the time had come to remove the (largely dead) honeysuckle that is taking over the front door. Out I went with my shears (and blister from yesterday) and began chopping. Most of the smaller twiggy bits came off no problem, but as I got further into it I realised the previous owners have secured it with wire right at the top where it joins the roof, (single storey bit luckily), so I can't remove it totally without borrowing a ladder off someone So now I'm left with a dead trunk bit and then dead bushy bit at the top that I can't reach and won't come down Grrr!

On the plus side though I had already decided to replace it with a hanging basket, although knew I would need to borrow someone again to drill the bracket in for me as I don't have a drill (and I'm a wuss). Anyway, underneath all the deadness there is already a bracket in place It is quite rusty but for now it will do the job
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 18th Jun 17, 9:54 AM
    • 10,169 Posts
    • 26,132 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Feeling strange this morning - missing Dad today, will go up to the burial ground later on when it's cooler. In other news ds should be at his Dads this weekend but he cancelled it as he has a stag do to go to. Ds was quite upset as he wanted to spend fathers day with him. He also cancelled his next weekend as he has a wedding to go to. And guess what ... he's cancelled the one after that as well as he has another stag do Ds needs to spend some quality time with his Dad before the new baby arrives in the summer, but can quite clearly see where Dads prioirites lie ... I have managed to swap some of my plans so that ds can go next weekend instead and one weekend in July, but that's all he'll see him until mid-August. Some people really don't deserve to be fathers I did ask ds if he wanted to post him a card / present but he said no, he can't make time for me so what's the point?
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 18th Jun 17, 11:42 AM
    • 10,169 Posts
    • 26,132 Thanks
    benbenandme
    One trip to the tip done and the car is loaded up ready to go again. Tesco shopping has arrived, quite a few substitutions this week - most are fine, one of them has meant I didn't qualify for an offer which I didn't realise until he'd gone, so ended up costing me more than it should I won't bother to email them as that is becoming a regular thing,but a company as big as theirs should be able to get it right.

Todays shopping came to £56 but I should get £9 back through clicksnap, so quite happy with that. They have kettlebite baked crisps on offer at the moment, so 5 bags work out at 25p - I have now got 85 bags of crisps They are both mine and ds favourites though, and keep until September, so all in all it's a big fat bargain

Now I need to do another tip trip then go and buy a hanging basket to replace the dead bush
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 18th Jun 17, 5:45 PM
    • 10,169 Posts
    • 26,132 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Car insurance is sorted - last years premium was £304, renewal quote was £396. The best I could get on the comparison sites was £276 but that was with providers I'd never heard of. Anyway, I thought I'd try a couple that don't use comparison sites - admiral came in at £856 and Direct line came in at £229. Glad I bothered to check that one Anyway, I've paid for it in one go (on the new credit card) and will move the money from my car maintenance fund to cover it, and then will transfer the monthly equivalent back into that savings pot. Happy with that
    • blackcatsx2
    • By blackcatsx2 18th Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    blackcatsx2
    Sounds like a productive and MSE day.
    Sorry to hear about DS's father - I had similar with my ex - he treated his weekends with his children as optional and to take place at his convenience rather than a privilege and a pleasure. Our wonderful children are now grown up and they make their own choices ..... He continues to miss out ..... DS has you as a fantastic and consistent role model and loving mum
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 19th Jun 17, 6:37 AM
    • 4,107 Posts
    • 22,145 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Sending hugs to DS ((( )))

My DS is now 20, I split from his biological father when he was 2. The man I met not long after and went on to marry and have a child with is his dad. My son's father took me to court for access and he was granted every other Sunday which worked well until he started a new family - then he told DS that they couldn't go out on Sundays any longer (bowling, the beach) etc as he didn't have the money due to his new family. Then visits whittled down to every 4 weeks and then when DS was a teenager it became every 6 weeks and then when DS went to college his bio father told him to get himself a job so he wouldn't have to pay maintenance anymore!!!

Honestly you could not make this stuff up, good job your DS can see his true colours.

DS does not even contact him on Fathers Day (and doesn't sent a card or anything) and he hasn't seen him on his own for a few years now.

DS sounds better off without him - you are a fab mum and more than make up for his father - I love the fact you go off train spotting as well.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 33 for October
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/10/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 19th Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    • 10,169 Posts
    • 26,132 Thanks
    benbenandme
    I took the dog to a rather well known pet store for his haircut last week. We did this a while ago and he developed an infection and needed antibiotics, I put this down to a one-off and rebooked again. Unfortunately the same thing has happened, and we were charged £52 for the groom and another £52 for the vet appointment and tablets a few days later. Anyway, I emailed their head office yesterday and said (a) the original cut was much shorter than agreed - they said he was matted and needed to be shorter although his previous groomer (now retired, but shows at Crufts so knows her stuff) said she has never needed to go that short on a Lhasa, she combs the matts out and does them with scissors rather than the all-over shaving he gets there and (b) the vet appointment was only necessary as a result of the cut, he was fine before that ... anyway, they replied today and have offered to refund all of it so I am pleased with their customer service even if their grooming doesn't agree with our dog
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 47,786 Posts
    • 173,430 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on refund
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 20th Jun 17, 6:23 AM
    • 10,169 Posts
    • 26,132 Thanks
    benbenandme
    £9 withdrawn this morning from quidco for the crisps I bought at the weekend, that's pretty quick

Another sunny day here today, just about to jump in the shower then I've got the dentist after work - I'm gonna have to psych myself up for that one, not feeling very brave at the moment
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 20th Jun 17, 8:16 AM
    • 1,601 Posts
    • 9,072 Thanks
    Florence J
    Good luck at the Dentist, I'm sure it will go well.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1623.56 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2953.21/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £1120.95/£1120.95
    October 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4163.86
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 24th Jun 17, 9:45 AM
    • 10,169 Posts
    • 26,132 Thanks
    benbenandme
    The dentist ended up being a checkup appointment and she has booked me some more appointments to do the work needed, luckily they are all in the summer holidays so not a hassle with work. It will cost me £244 in total but I do need quite a bit doing.

In other news, it has been a fairly good week, until last night. Ds went out after school with a couple of other kids from his year group - there seems to be a budding interest in a girl, who has a reputation as a total tease and not very pleasant However, he is so deperate for friends and to fit in that anyone being nice to him is going to be seen as the best thing ever ... anyway, he went out for a bit and came back at 6 to get ready for Scouts. He was fine when he came in but within 10 minutes had the mother of all meltdowns and trashed the lounge, and shredded his English book. Eventually (about 2 hours later) calm was restored, we went for a long walk with the dog and talked and I think it was triggered because (a) he's really tired this week and (b) being with other kids after school was hard work for him and highlighted to him that he is different and doesn't get social situations

He also said he wants to give up Scouts, he's not enjoying it anymore but hasn't said anything as I have paid for uniform / camps etc and he feels bad. He also said he didn't want to go to his Dads this weekend, he hasn't seen him for nearly a month as it is but said he can't do the travelling, he's too tired. His Dad was actually alright about it.

So, this weekend now we're having a very low-key chilled weekend. He's in the bath at the moment, then we're going to the train station to enquire about work experience, then it will be a walk with the dog, decent food and early nights. Monday is an inset day, so he has a long weekend too.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 24th Jun 17, 3:35 PM
    • 1,601 Posts
    • 9,072 Thanks
    Florence J
    So sorry to hear about DS. I find social situations bearable at the best of times and crippling at worst, so I do feel for people who also suffer.

Wishing you both a pleasant long weekend.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553 (£90) Wombling free 2017 = £1623.56 Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£2953.21/£3000) Debt to OH paid back £1120.95/£1120.95
    October 2017 Credit Card Debt: £4163.86
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 25th Jun 17, 9:24 AM
    • 47,786 Posts
    • 173,430 Thanks
    beanielou
    So feel for both you & DS.
    Teen years are such a trial.
    Remember to take care of you too.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 25th Jun 17, 10:06 AM
    • 10,169 Posts
    • 26,132 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Thanks Florence & Beanie, yesterday ended up being an even worse day - won't go into too much detail but basically ds is smoking, had another meltdown, shoved stuff in a bag and ran away. I text him and he said he wasn't coming back, his battery then died on his phone. Lots of driving around didn't find him, so police called - they came round and then he turned up home at 9pm.

Anyway- today's another day, so let's see how this goes!

£11 payout from a survey site, off to add to signature.
    Last edited by benbenandme; 25-06-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 25th Jun 17, 10:12 AM
    • 47,786 Posts
    • 173,430 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope today is better for you both.

• benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 26th Jun 17, 8:48 PM
    • 10,169 Posts
    • 26,132 Thanks
    benbenandme
    I've just watched DIY SOS on iPlayer - for those of you who have been on these boards as long as me, you may remember a wonderful poster known as ImmoralAngel. Throughout some of my earlier diaries she often posted, as well as keeping her own, very inspirational, diaries. I am friends with her on facebook, have never met her, but have an awful lot of respect for her and her journey. Anyway, if you get a chance, have a watch of it on iPlayer, she is the lady who creates the garden. Considering I don't know her in real life I feel so proud of her
    Last edited by benbenandme; 26-06-2017 at 8:59 PM.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 26th Jun 17, 9:11 PM
    • 47,786 Posts
    • 173,430 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yes, IA did a fab job.
    The Telford episode.

• TallGirl
    • By TallGirl 26th Jun 17, 10:01 PM
    • 4,174 Posts
    • 8,618 Thanks
    TallGirl
    I'll have to watch that one I remember her well too. Thanks for the heads up
    Save £12k in 17 no 93 £9750/£12k Pay off wasted money £996/£10k
    • dangers
    • By dangers 26th Jun 17, 10:04 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 2,590 Thanks
    dangers
    Thank you - have just downloaded and watched. Well done IA. X
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 1st Jul 17, 10:58 AM
    • 10,169 Posts
    • 26,132 Thanks
    benbenandme
    It's been a very up and down week (ds related), lots of meltdowns but on the positive side he has completed his ECDL exams and has a distinction* which is equivalent to an A* at GCSE Thankk goodness, whatever happens he has one qualification in the bag so far

In other news I've done the end of month banking stuff, moved money to the appropriate places and am counting down now til the summer holidays

This weekend it's the usual housework stuff with some trainspotting thrown in
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

42Posts Today

3,649Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin