Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 27th Dec 16, 7:03 PM
    • 10,166Posts
    • 26,130Thanks
    benbenandme
    Ready to do it all over again ...
    • 27th Dec 16, 7:03 PM
    Ready to do it all over again ... 27th Dec 16 at 7:03 PM
    Hello, thank you for popping by

I have been a regular on the debt free diaries board for years as well as dipping in here at times. I did join in Tallgirls Mortgage Free in 3 Challenge several years ago and have had several diaries over the years. This is the first time I've had one here though despite never actually being in debt I always felt it could happen oh so easily so treated myself as if I was a dfw.

So, 2017 and my new diary here ...

I have lived in my lovely flat with my ds (13) for the last 9 years and finally it looks as though we will be moving in the new year. I have sold my flat to a cash buyer and have had an offer accepted on a 2 bed little house. I will probably put stuff into storage and stay with my Mum for a few weeks while the house goes through as my buyers are very keen to complete asap and I don't want to risk losing them as I have already had one sale fall through due to brexit.

Normally at this point between Christmas and New Year I begin planning my aims for the coming year, setting goals - usually financial related, and generally getting everything organised ready to tackle whatever I have planned. This normally is a £££ goal to knock off the mortgage etc.

This year however everything is a bit unknown as I can't predict how much I can save etc at this point. But what I can do is take stock of exactly where I'm at now and make lists, I do like lists , of things I need to do to make as many pennies as possible / minimise spends where possible.
    Mortgage Total: £75,000 £73,527 Mortgage End Date: May 2040
    Brother's loan: £3460 / £25,000
    Holiday Fund: £452 / £1800
Page 20
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 7th Jun 17, 7:14 AM
    • 10,166 Posts
    • 26,130 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Half way through the week and all is going fine so far. I emailed Tesco as I was overcharged for two things at the weekend and they have refunded the money already. I also called the csa as no money has arrived this month - for some reason they didn't have a payment from my ex but they called him and he has made the payment over the phone so I should receive that in a couple of days hopefully.

Hoping the weather picks up again soon, it's been freezing the last couple of days. Nothing much else to add at the moment, let's see what today brings
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 8th Jun 17, 5:47 PM
    • 10,166 Posts
    • 26,130 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Another day nearer the weekend ... a couple of bits of good news;cashed out £5 on a survey site and after I submitted my meter reading last week they have lowered my gas/electric direct debit from £76 a month to £66 a month

I have ended up putting the heating back on tonight as it's such a wet miserable evening. Those of you who have been around a while will know that I barely used the heating in the winter in my flat so this is rather unusual for me, but I want to feel cosy
    • HelenRachel
    • By HelenRachel 8th Jun 17, 9:19 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    HelenRachel
    Hi Ben Ben

Just read the entire thread over the last few days. I'm relieved your ds got his parcel hope he enjoyed it! You've got so much energy and focus it's inspired me to try and get my act together!
    August £5pd challenge £0/£155
    July £5pd challenge £59.64/£115
    • blackcatsx2
    • By blackcatsx2 8th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    blackcatsx2
    It is indeed very chilly tonight - I'm snugged up under a blanket. I hope the weather improves again soon. Good news about the reduction in your direct debit, my gas/electricity is expensive, I need to try and reduce the costs a bit. I work from home so in the winter the heating is on a lot, however, I don't have travel to work costs so that is a great saving. Nearly the weekend - hooray!
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 10th Jun 17, 7:42 AM
    • 10,166 Posts
    • 26,130 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Hello HelenRachel, thanks for reading He loves his parcel and is definitely getting his moneys worth from it

So another weekend has rolled around, luckily the weather looks a bit better today. We're going to the forest with the dog again today so ds can do some more filming. We might go out for a curry tonight, ds said the other day he's only ever had curry from the supermarket, which to be honest is nothing like curry really, so I said we'd go and have a proper one

Other than that it's the usual routine of washing, ironing, cleaning, surveys, paperwork and trying to make some more pennies somehow along the way, oh and an England footie match tonight
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 10th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • 10,166 Posts
    • 26,130 Thanks
    benbenandme
    We went to the forest and I found £1 along the way, so that was a bonus I've collected my parcel from the post office, a dress I bought on ebay for prom night, it's a lovely maxi dress so will be useful for other times too.

Ds is off to the station again in a bit, I'm then going to crack on with chores.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 11th Jun 17, 8:51 AM
    • 10,166 Posts
    • 26,130 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Well I didn't so much crack on as not bother at all I had a lazy afternoon, mooching about not getting much done at all.

At the moment ds is having his weekly lie-in, so I'm being quiet downstairs, but I do have one load of washing almost ready to go out on the line, and I have almost cleared the surveys from my inbox.

Tesco shopping is coming between 12-1 today, I might go down the beach for a bit after that, and I need to get the housework done somewhere in between too
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 11th Jun 17, 10:46 AM
    • 10,166 Posts
    • 26,130 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Well the housework bug seemed to hit me right after posting that ... I have cleaned the bathroom and downstairs loo, cleaned my bedroom and put everything away. Tidied the lounge, hoovered through, cleaned the kitchen floor, emptied the fridge and cleaned it, sorted the recycling and put it and the rubbish out, the third load of washing is nearly done and everywhere is now looking clean and tidy again I still need to do the ironing (need to wait for some of it to dry first), I want to clean the car out and hoover it today too. Other than that it will be sorting the post / paperwork pile that is building up, helping ds finish his CV and find addresses for work placements, maybe a bit of pottering in the garden, apply for that credit card I mentioned last week, sort my car insurance - the renewal came this week and they have increased it by £100 The only difference from last year is that I now keep the car on my drive rather than in the garage but even so, that seems a big increase.

I may make some rock cakes or fairy cakes later if it doesn't get too hot, I don't feel like anything kitchen related when the weather is nice
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 11th Jun 17, 1:17 PM
    • 10,166 Posts
    • 26,130 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Shopping came and has been put away - £47 this week which leaves me some for a top-up shop midweek.

I've emptied out the car and found several things we have been looking everywhere for Most of the washing is in now and the ironing pile is sat waiting for me, but I've just seen Footloose and Dirty Dancing are both on channel 5 this afternoon so may do the ironing while I watch one of them

The lamb is in the slow cooker for dinner tonight, and I've been looking at an offer at the local leisure centre - £99 for 4 months unlimited usage, it includes the gym, fitness classes, swimming and the golf that ds likes. I'm very tempted as I desperately need to get back on track and I think that this would be an ideal time as the weather is better and I could use it lots in the summer holidays - 4 months would be long enough to get me back to my ideal weight and back running again, after that I could decide whether to carry on and get a proper membership or whether to stick to my own running / walking etc once I'm back into it ... the only downside is they don't let under 16's into their gym whereas the one near the flat let them in from 13. I think I would go more often if ds could come too ... I will give it some more thoughts this afternoon.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 12th Jun 17, 8:37 PM
    • 10,166 Posts
    • 26,130 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Pfft ... why is it no matter how hard you work, how much you do for the kids, how much you worry about them and try to do your best for them, there are always *those* parents that have a go and blame you for everything that isn't perfect about their snowflakes Grrr, just one of those days but it really does get to me. I know I work my @rse off at work yet I just seem to get verbal abuse on an almost daily basis from some parents Time for chocolate
    • mollymunchkin
    • By mollymunchkin 13th Jun 17, 6:25 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 2,674 Thanks
    mollymunchkin
    I'm a HT's PA and I know exactly what you mean. Some parents seem blind to the fact that their little darlings can't do what they want at school. And you wonder where these kids gets their rudeness from?!
    Cos I don't shine if you don't shine.
    • Smart Mart
    • By Smart Mart 14th Jun 17, 4:52 PM
    • 1,365 Posts
    • 2,391 Thanks
    Smart Mart
    Well the housework bug seemed to hit me right after posting that ... I have cleaned the bathroom and downstairs loo, cleaned my bedroom and put everything away. Tidied the lounge, hoovered through, cleaned the kitchen floor, emptied the fridge and cleaned it, sorted the recycling and put it and the rubbish out, the third load of washing is nearly done and everywhere is now looking clean and tidy again I still need to do the ironing (need to wait for some of it to dry first), I want to clean the car out and hoover it today too. Other than that it will be sorting the post / paperwork pile that is building up, helping ds finish his CV and find addresses for work placements, maybe a bit of pottering in the garden, apply for that credit card I mentioned last week, sort my car insurance - the renewal came this week and they have increased it by £100 The only difference from last year is that I now keep the car on my drive rather than in the garage but even so, that seems a big increase.

I may make some rock cakes or fairy cakes later if it doesn't get too hot, I don't feel like anything kitchen related when the weather is nice
    Originally posted by benbenandme
    Re the car insurance, it's a farce. I had the same car last year as this year, keep it in the same place, I'm a year older (obviously) yet my premium with Lloyds Bank went up from £47 a month to £78 a month.

Couldn't believe it so went on Compare The Market and I'm now with the AA for £41 a month. They've also got lots of places where you can get 20% off, ie Toby Carveries, Sizzling Pub company, Moto service stations and a lot more stuff besides.
    Last edited by Smart Mart; 15-06-2017 at 4:35 PM.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 15th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    • 10,166 Posts
    • 26,130 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Thanks Mart, I will sort it this weekend.
    £11 withdrawn from a survey site tonight, off to change the signature
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 16th Jun 17, 7:12 PM
    • 10,166 Posts
    • 26,130 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Made it through another friday, I had my normal friday sluggishness when I got home, but a bit of pottering later and the bathroom has been cleaned, the downstairs loo has been cleaned, the bedrooms have been tidied (still need hoovering etc), first load of washing is in, downstairs has been tidied, dusted, hoovered/swept through, plants have been watered, recycling has gone out

So, for the rest of the weekend I need to change bedding, clear the washing / ironing, do the food shopping, clear the surveys and paperwork, sort the car insurance and enjoy the weather
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 17th Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    • 10,166 Posts
    • 26,130 Thanks
    benbenandme
    So today is just too hot!!

This morning I took ds to watch his trains while I went shopping. I got him a couple of t-shirts,got me a bath bomb and some body spray. I also bought an electric hedge trimmer (£26).

I had started to tackle the hedge in the front garden with the shears but quickly developed a blister on my hand. The electric trimmer has tidied the hedge up a bit but I need Mums gardener to tackle it properly and reduce it to half its current height.

Postie brought me the credit card (I applied last week) today. I need to read all the forms with it, I've never had one before and don't really get how they work, at the moment I use my debit card for literally everything, do I just use this card instead? Is there normally a minimum amount for credit cards?

The rest of today will be spent mainly chilling, it's just too hot to bother doing much else.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    • 47,656 Posts
    • 172,762 Thanks
    beanielou
    Are you using CC for points or rewards?
    If so use it instead of debit card & pay off every month.
    I quite often use mine then transfer money as a BP straight to CC.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 17th Jun 17, 5:16 PM
    • 10,166 Posts
    • 26,130 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Hi Beanielou, I got it purely for an offer - I need to spend £2k on it over the next 3 months to earn £150 of nectar points
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Jun 17, 6:09 PM
    • 47,656 Posts
    • 172,762 Thanks
    beanielou
    So just use it for all your spending but pay it off when you get the bill
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 17th Jun 17, 9:22 PM
    • 10,166 Posts
    • 26,130 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Tesco shopping is done, card has been activated and I remembered to pay with it Dog has been walked and I have managed 11,500 steps today

Tomorrow I need to take the hedge cuttings to the tip, and then probably carry on cutting more
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 17th Jun 17, 9:33 PM
    • 10,166 Posts
    • 26,130 Thanks
    benbenandme
    £6 withdrawn from quidco and £7 withdrawn from a survey site
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,892Posts Today

8,664Users online

Martin's Twitter