Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 27th Dec 16, 7:03 PM
    • 10,242Posts
    • 26,279Thanks
    benbenandme
    Ready to do it all over again ...
    • 27th Dec 16, 7:03 PM
    Ready to do it all over again ... 27th Dec 16 at 7:03 PM
    Hello, thank you for popping by

I have been a regular on the debt free diaries board for years as well as dipping in here at times. I did join in Tallgirls Mortgage Free in 3 Challenge several years ago and have had several diaries over the years. This is the first time I've had one here though despite never actually being in debt I always felt it could happen oh so easily so treated myself as if I was a dfw.

So, 2017 and my new diary here ...

I have lived in my lovely flat with my ds (13) for the last 9 years and finally it looks as though we will be moving in the new year. I have sold my flat to a cash buyer and have had an offer accepted on a 2 bed little house. I will probably put stuff into storage and stay with my Mum for a few weeks while the house goes through as my buyers are very keen to complete asap and I don't want to risk losing them as I have already had one sale fall through due to brexit.

Normally at this point between Christmas and New Year I begin planning my aims for the coming year, setting goals - usually financial related, and generally getting everything organised ready to tackle whatever I have planned. This normally is a £££ goal to knock off the mortgage etc.

This year however everything is a bit unknown as I can't predict how much I can save etc at this point. But what I can do is take stock of exactly where I'm at now and make lists, I do like lists , of things I need to do to make as many pennies as possible / minimise spends where possible.
    Mortgage Total: £75,000 £73,315 Mortgage End Date: May 2040
    Brother's loan: £3919 / £25,000
    Holiday Fund: £495 / £1800
Page 15
    • blackcatsx2
    • By blackcatsx2 18th Apr 17, 8:37 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    blackcatsx2
    Another reader anxiously waiting for the ebay parcel to turn up! As you say your DS has saved long and hard - fingers crossed it arrives and gives him many hours of entertainment.
    I don't think it will take you too long to get to £500 as you seem to be earning extra money little and often.
    I'm waiting for letter from my lender to show impact of this year's overpayments - frustrating not to be able to see it online but hopefully a nice surprise when the letter arrives.
    Probably best for neither of us to talk about football!
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 19th Apr 17, 3:51 PM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Still no parcel Luckily ds was fine about it today but I'm not sure that will last if it doesn't turn up tomorrow

We've been and played golf again today with my nephews, it was good fun and a bit of fresh air too (£3 for ds and we walked rather than paying for the car park )

I've booked ds haircut for tomorrow and he also has his first appointment with the counsellor tomorrow too.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Apr 17, 9:03 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,332 Thanks
    beanielou
    That is really not good enough.
    Hope it turns up tomorrow.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 20th Apr 17, 8:00 AM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Morning all, I emailed the seller yesterday and was quite stroppy. I explained ds has asd and for him he struggles with *why* it hasn't arrived as he has paid for it and therefore it should have come by now (he knows i always post ebay stuff as soon as it's paid for). Rules are rules and he can't deal with it when they aren't followed ... anyway, he has replied this morning saying he is so sorry blah blah blah, the easter holidays have messed up his usual quick dispatch (???) and he is sending it via myhermes and it's being collected from him today. He has provided a tracking number. (The tracking number he was going to send me on saturday). As an apology he would like to send ds a game code that he gets given for reviewing games ... this would be no use to ds as he literally only plays 3 games ever - a bus simulator, a train simulator and a plane simulator. he isn't bothered about other games. I don't want free game codes, I want the item we paid for nearly 2 weeks ago!!

Ds isn't back from his paper-round yet, he will be gutted when I tell him it still isn't even on it's way, won't arrive today and won't arrive before he goes back to school. I reckon I'm in for the mother of all strops this morning

In other news, I have cleaned the bathroom this morning, I'm planning on doing housework this morning then ds has his first counsellor appointment this afternoon, followed by his haircut then I've got a guy coming round tonight to quote for cleaning the windows and conservatory and maybe cleaning the gutters out too, I've never had my own gutters before, is that a thing to get them cleaned??
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 20th Apr 17, 8:31 AM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Aaaaggghhh ..... so ds took the news really well, but pointed out that the ebay listing said it was being sent 2nd class royal mail, but as he's now sending it via myhermes it won't be picked up by the redirection service we've paid for (ebay and paypal still have our old address as I bought several bits and pieces since moving and didn't change them until they'd arrived). God damn it!!! I have emailed him back and asked him to update the address (MyHermes website says only the sender can change the address). We'll have to see now if he reads the message in time
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 20th Apr 17, 9:50 AM
    • 16,454 Posts
    • 107,801 Thanks
    gallygirl
    How annoying . Well done to DS for picking up on it . I know you've said he handled it well but maybe something to cover with his counsellor? I'm obviously a bit sad as I think the bus simulator sounds more fun than his other two

Yes, cleaning gutters is a 'thing'. Good idea as a one-off as you've just moved in but shouldn't need done more than once every couple of years unless you've overhanging trees. Get the cleaner to leave the gloop for you - it's good for the soil, unless a lot of moss and weeds growing in it!
    Save
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 20th Apr 17, 10:07 AM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Thanks Gallygirl, I think I will go for the gutters being cleaned, at least then I know it's been done. We don't have any overhanging trees but to be honest the previous owners cleaning wasn't exactly meticulous, so I think I'd be happier to know it's been done

I have noticed this week ds anxiety seems to be going through the roof - we were out walking the dog the other day and we passed two separate groups of kids from school, both groups were his year group. Neither group batted an eyelid (normally if kids from school spot me they either make a thing of saying hi or they act all odd - guess it's weird seeing staff out of school), anyway, they either didn't see us or just ignored us, but ds got so stressed. Now I get it's embarrasing at 13 being seen out with your Mum, but he walked off ahead, told me not to talk to him, put his head down and was incredibly agitated for about 10 minutes afterwards both times. Yesterday at gold he was fine, we even had a chat before we went as my nephews have played a few times and he was worried they would be better than him. As it was they were all pretty similar levels, and he was fine, until some kids appeared at the start of one of the holes we were on, and he got really stressy because he felt rushed and that they might be judging how good he was I recognised this and had a word with him and he did manage to control it, but it was quite obvious that his anxiety levels just suddenly rose out of proportion to the situation.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 20th Apr 17, 10:24 AM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Thought I'd better update my to do list as I haven't looked at it for a few days

Prep and freeze parsnipsDONE
    Clean the car - inside and out DONE
    Bring in suitcase & box of clothes from garage and unpack DONE
    Another trip to the tip DONE
    Mattress to the tip DONE
    Single mattress to Mums garage DONE
    Make new filing system for new house stuff DONE
    Empty any of our stuff from Mums garage DONE
    Plan for a car boot sale DONE - STUFF BOXED IN GARAGE, WAITING FOR NICE WEATHER
    Clean windows / Find window cleaner for conservatory DONE, COMING TONIGHT
    Buy a bin for the bathroom
    Buy double plug sockets for bedrooms
    Join clicksnap DONE
    Text ex-Mil DONE
    Call hospital and chase ds appointment
    Buy a home phone
    Ironing DONE
    Laminate new mortgage chart
    Pay in cheques
    Cash in scratchcard DONE
    Post 2 x letters DONE
    Pay ground rent portion from flat DONE
    Set up new dd (halifax account)
    Complete change of address stuff ONGOING BUT NEARLY THERE
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 20th Apr 17, 7:08 PM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    So, the window cleaner guy has been round and given me a quote - I've said to go ahead but it seems quite a lot to me, but maybe I'm just not used to this stuff ... to clean the gutters = £50, to clean the conservatory including roof £45, to clean the windows £20, total £115. There are only 5 windows, 3 of which are upstairs though (I don't have a ladder and hate heights so I will need to pay someone anyhow to do them. It just seems a bit pricey to me, what do you all think? Maybe it's not, maybe I just have never needed it done at the flat so never thought about the cost. He did say he'd start at 11 on tuesday and should be done about 4 (I thought it would only take an hour or so )
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 20th Apr 17, 7:19 PM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Just found a fab website called quotation check and it seems that is pretty reasonable after all. Maybe it's just me

So, on tuesday I should have nice sparkly gutters and windows
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 21st Apr 17, 8:40 AM
    • 6,724 Posts
    • 41,557 Thanks
    Pooky
    Standard price for front and back gutter clearing here (it's a standard semi) is £60. We normally have ours done every 2 years as we get a lot of moss on the roof and it always ends up blocking the pipes.

If the Hermes courier had already been booked then there'll be no changing address but you can raise a complaint with eBay against the seller for a full refund. I know that doesn't help DS now but it would at least mean he can start looking for what he needs elsewhere.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 21st Apr 17, 1:25 PM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Thanks Pooky, glad to hear the gutters are about right

The seller agreed to change the address, so phoned them and they said to cancel the collection before the courier came to pick it up and rebook it. He did this and they said it would be collected in the afternoon yesterday instead. He sent me the new tracking number, then went to the collection point (he's at work) to change the address label and the courier came and collected it (hadn't been notified it was cancelled) so it's still going to the old address To be fair the guy is being really helpful now, we're emailing like bloody penpals, and this time it's MyHermes fault as on the tracking thing it even says the order was cancelled and then the parcel collected 2 hours later So, today he's trying to get them to sort it. We'll see!!

So this morning I have been shopping , ds went to the train station for a couple of hours. I did spend a bit but got some bargains too

I spent £20 in Primark - a couple of t-shirts for ds, some cheap sunglasses to keep in the car for me, a couple of pairs of summer trousers and a top.

I also went into Superdrug and got 4 bottles of herbal essences shampoo reduced to 15p each and 2 bottles of Sure deodorant reduced to 82p each, so total spend = £2.24

I popped into Pret and had a latte and a choc bar which was about £4, then into Asda and got some mini eggs reduced to 50p a bag and a tube of primula cheese because I can claim the money back for that on a moneysaving app, so that's free

Car parnking was £2.40 and I made ds some lunch to take with him so he didn't spend money at the stupidly over-priced station cafe
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Apr 17, 8:23 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,332 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope it all sorts itself out.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 22nd Apr 17, 10:56 AM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Morning all, ds has gone to his Dads this morning (back tomorrow), I have been to Mums and helped her change her bed and tidied a bit. Now I have that Sunday night dread feeling creeping in, knowing I'm back at work on Monday Between now and then there's lots I need to get done. It's always the same, I have time off then I leave it all til the end and the panicky feeling suddenly spurs me into action

I have already been to the shops and bought lightbulbs for my new lamp (homebase vouchers), the key for the meter cupboard, and various bits and pieces in home bargains.

So, here's the plan for the weekend:
    • Change ds bedding
    • Clear washing basket
    • Ironing
    • Read and submit meter readings
    • List and box up all stuff for ebay
    • Clean ds bedroom
    • Clean downstairs toilet
    • Trip to the tip
    • Food shopping
    • Pay ds paper-round money into his account
    • Buy home phone
    • Sort handbag for work
    • Check ds homework
    • Schoolwork
    • Hoover through
    • Clear coffee table and dining table (and put stuff away)
    • Clean ds school shoes
    • Clear kitchen windowsill
    • Figure out how to programme the hot water / heating
    • Figure out the settings on the dishwasher
    • Figure out the settings on the oven
    • Submit my Super 6 scores
    • Paperwork

No doubt I will add more as I go, I will also obviously be sat on the sofa while the footie is on this afternoon, so this will be fitted around that.
    Last edited by benbenandme; 22-04-2017 at 11:29 AM.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 22nd Apr 17, 1:09 PM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    That's been a pretty productive hour and a half even by my standards

Change ds bedding DONE
    Clear washing basket LAST LOAD IS IN NOW
    Ironing TOMORROW
    Read and submit meter readings DONE
    List and box up all stuff for ebay DONE
    Clean ds bedroom DONE
    Clean downstairs toilet DONE
    Trip to the tip
    Food shopping DONE
    Pay ds paper-round money into his account DONE
    Buy home phone DONE
    Sort handbag for work
    Check ds homework DONE - SOME TO DO WHEN HE COMES BACK TOMORROW
    Schoolwork
    Hoover through DONE
    Clear coffee table and dining table (and put stuff away) DONE
    Clean ds school shoes DONE & HIKING BOOTS
    Clear kitchen windowsill DONE
    Figure out how to programme the hot water / heating DONE & REPROGRAMMED
    Figure out the settings on the dishwasher DONE
    Figure out the settings on the oven SHE DIDN'T LEAVE ME THE MANUAL, WILL NEED TO GOOGLE
    Submit my Super 6 scores DONE
    Paperwork
    As well as that, a delivery man has brought me the dishwasher tablets I need to test for a survey - a bag of 37 Fairy Platinum tablets (£10 in Waitrose) I've also had an email re. ds parcel to say I need to keep checking the tracking thing and when it says it's out with the courier for delivery to contact them again and they may be able to intercept it then. Cue me checking every 5 minutes

I also managed to figure out the window in the downstairs toilet which was jammed, and it is now open

Time now for some lunch then I will do some of the 'sat down' bits on the list
    Last edited by benbenandme; 22-04-2017 at 2:48 PM.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 22nd Apr 17, 5:02 PM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    A fab 4-0 win for Bournemouth today Bring on Match of the Day tonight
    • blackcatsx2
    • By blackcatsx2 22nd Apr 17, 5:08 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    blackcatsx2
    Great result for Bournemouth. Very strange team selection for Chelsea - not looking forward to this game at all.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 22nd Apr 17, 5:29 PM
    • 10,242 Posts
    • 26,279 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Ake is playing - He's fabulous and very easy on the eye too, like a young Ruud Gullit
    Last edited by benbenandme; 22-04-2017 at 5:39 PM.
    • blackcatsx2
    • By blackcatsx2 22nd Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 569 Thanks
    blackcatsx2
    So what do I know about team selection! I agree about Ake - we call him baby Ruud. In MSE news I got my February work expenses through this week and used it all as an overpayment. It's payday again on Tuesday so decided it was best to get it out of the current account as it wasn't really needed this month. Great work on your list today, you achieved loads of tasks.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 22nd Apr 17, 9:03 PM
    • 48,483 Posts
    • 178,332 Thanks
    beanielou
    That was some list!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

772Posts Today

6,461Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin