Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 26th Aug 14, 3:58 PM
    • 1,518Posts
    • 721Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    Mobidol : msg : subscribed for £4.50 a week ? - not by me !
    • 26th Aug 14, 3:58 PM
    Mobidol : msg : subscribed for £4.50 a week ? - not by me ! 26th Aug 14 at 3:58 PM
    Just noticed a couple of mgs on my phone as follows, one for june and one for aug
    ===
    Thank you for subscribing to Mobidol for 4.50 per week from Mobidol until you text STOP to xxxx
    ===
    Of course I never intentionally subscribed to anything

I'm on PAYG 321 with 3 only top up £10 once in a blue moon, so if they were taking anything I should have noticed a lack of credit pretty quickly I would have thought

But unable to see in my 3 account on line any such charges ( or any charges or call log etc ) not that I make many /any calls from this phone, just us it for apps/net access

If I am 'subscribed' how come I'm not aware of £20+ a month being taken ?

Does texting STOP just indicate a 'live' account, ripe for the taking ?

Is it the case that 321 PAYG balance can't be charged this way ?
    Last edited by bob_a_builder; 26-08-2014 at 4:33 PM.
Page 1
    • bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 26th Aug 14, 5:09 PM
    • 1,518 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    • 26th Aug 14, 5:09 PM
    • 26th Aug 14, 5:09 PM
    Since found this LINK

But still not clear why I don't seem to have been charged £18 / month ?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 27th Aug 14, 1:20 AM
    • 26,050 Posts
    • 10,386 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 27th Aug 14, 1:20 AM
    • 27th Aug 14, 1:20 AM
    If i had not subscribed to the service i would not reply back with the stop message.

Just keep a track of your balance. If money goes AWOL then contact the service provider ASAP..
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
  • perjubs
    • 15th Jan 15, 8:12 PM
    mobidol charges
    • 15th Jan 15, 8:12 PM
    Hi, my son (2yr) got hold of my phone when I wasnt looking and clicked an app and subsequently an advert that took him to the mobidol website where with one click and no real security or confirmation measures signed me up to a service I dont want that is costing me £4.50 a week, I have immediately unsubscribed but I dont want to be charged for this service. Can I get my money back, surely this cant be a fair and legal method of charging people, simply clicking on their website?
    • Baby Angel
    • By Baby Angel 29th Jan 15, 1:51 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 1,098 Thanks
    Baby Angel
    • 29th Jan 15, 1:51 PM
    • 29th Jan 15, 1:51 PM
    Just had this happen on my DH's phone bill. The purchase was made at a time our DD was in school so it would have been my DH and no one else. Payforit refused to refund as it was some kind of video my DH has allegedly downloaded. They said it was a legitimate website and legitimate purchase Thankfully it was a one-off payment. Unfortunately we had to pay it and will be a lesson learnt for my DH. If an adult can accidentally click on something like this, there is less chance for a kid, let alone a toddler to be wary of this.

Anyway Payforit said it will block all downloads from this website for my DH's number and in the same call I made sure Three (our network provider) will block any "out of bundle" payments.
    SPC 08 - #452 - £415
    SPC 09 - #452 - £298
  • loxley561
    • 5th Feb 15, 11:36 PM
    • 5th Feb 15, 11:36 PM
    The same thing happened to my son who is 12 and has got his first mobile phone. He didn't realise anything about the text received from mobidol so didn't tell me, I don't look at the bills as they get debited from my bank account. I happened to be looking at my account a few weeks back and noticed 2 lots of £4.50. I rang vodaphone who told me it was mobidol and to text a number to unsubscribe. I did this but got and undelivered reply. So I emailed mobidol but have had no response to date. I Thought as I had emailed them the subscription would stop and that would be the end of it but no. I looked at my account last week and had 3 more payments go through. So texted to stop but this week another payment has been deducted. So even by sending the stop text the payments are still being debited. Tonight I rang vodaphone and changed my sons number so no more payments can go through. With all the security around purchases these days I find it unbelievable that innocently someone (mainly a child), can do a few clicks and then be charged. In my email to mobidol I asked what app/game it was but have no idea as they haven't replied. Not too happy at all. But lesson learned. So many young children have phones and there should be more security around this kind of thing happening.
    • MrChips
    • By MrChips 14th Feb 15, 6:51 PM
    • 929 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    MrChips
    • 14th Feb 15, 6:51 PM
    • 14th Feb 15, 6:51 PM
    I got the same text message today - I'm guessing it is a result of my 3 year old son messing around on my phone. I've done my best to avoid things like this by setting a password so he cannot download non-free apps or make in-app purchases. However, this doesn't seem to protect me from this sort of agreement. It won't surprise you to know he cannot read and so any facility where you can incur charges from three taps of the screen without having to input some sort of written confirmation/acceptance is bound to inadvertently sign up some users in this way who do not wish to subscribe. A quick Google search confirms this hypothesis.

I have emailed Mobidol today (same day as receiving the message) to confirm I have no wish to subscribe to their services, nor have I used any of them. Does anyone know if this will be in time to opt out of the first £4.50 payment? Their terms and conditions say there is a 14 day withdrawal period.

Thanks.
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
    • macman
    • By macman 14th Feb 15, 10:05 PM
    • 41,351 Posts
    • 17,001 Thanks
    macman
    • 14th Feb 15, 10:05 PM
    • 14th Feb 15, 10:05 PM
    PIN-lock and SIM-lock your phone?
    I do that anyway, even without a three year old around.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 15th Feb 15, 10:35 AM
    • 5,041 Posts
    • 5,194 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 15th Feb 15, 10:35 AM
    • 15th Feb 15, 10:35 AM
    PIN-lock and SIM-lock your phone?
    I do that anyway, even without a three year old around.
    Originally posted by macman
    Anyone who doesn't do this is just asking for trouble.
    "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery." Mr Wilkins Micawber in David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.
    • MrChips
    • By MrChips 16th Feb 15, 3:08 PM
    • 929 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    MrChips
    I'm going to sound rather feeble - but what's a SIM-lock? I have a lock on the phone so that you need to swipe a certain pattern to use it. But you underestimate 3 year olds if you think he can't get past that!

Even if I changed the pattern on a regular basis so that he doesn't know what it is, it wouldn't get round the fact that he could sign me up for something while he is using it legitimately to play games on. The only way I can think that these companies could avoid signing up customers by mistake is some sort of requirement to enter a credit card number, or to confirm your phone number. Or maybe this SIM-lock is the answer to my prayers!

Getting back on topic, I rang Mobidol this morning who confirmed that I will have already incurred the first £4.50 charge but that they can refund me by cheque. Sorted.
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
  • tomlou
    persitence pays off!
    It has taken nearly 6 weeks and i've just had a phonecall saying my cheque is in the post.6 weeks of daily emails and a few extremely frustrating phonecalls.what i have learned throught lots of research,that Mobidol and its owners Cell fish,both of whom profiteer from this scam,are allowed to scam us by a company called Payforit.
    Payforit was set up by the mobile network providers.Hence the network providers get a cut of the profits from the scam.
    No wonder ,even after thousands of complaints,and after publicly saying they would investigate.....that nothing still has been done!!!
  • tomlou
    If you let them play on your phone then a sim lock won't help you.lobbying network providers into not using scam companies is the only way to stop this scam.
  • MKRaja
    Scam victim
    hi, I only noticed this month that vodafone is taking £18 every month and paying to mobidol

I called vodafone and they say its not related to them and I should send a STOP message to a paid number. Which I dont wanted to as I never subscribed in the first place.

I called mobidol and they are based in Netherlands. They dont have physical address. Just a phone number and an email.

They have taken more than £162 off me.

What should I do?

Any channel for complaints?
    • UK FRAUD
    • By UK FRAUD 28th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    UK FRAUD
    Mobidol
    It is alleged that this business offers a service but the majority of people do not know they have contracted with this company. There are no transparent terms & conditions with a thorough option to see what people are getting involved in.
    Therefore it is my opinion that these people must be fraudsters operating to obtain money by the limited disclosure of information and charging people to cancel a service they did not intend to access.
    The service provider should protect the consumer when this occurs in my opinion.
    Utter disgrace.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 28th Dec 15, 1:01 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    Ian011
    After ending the subscription by sending the STOP message to the mobile shortcode, make a complaint to PhonepayPlus. They have the power to fine companies and more.
    • Lobowski
    • By Lobowski 30th Dec 15, 2:59 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lobowski
    Hi, were you refunded the entire amount. At the moment they are offering me less than 30%.
    • Lobowski
    • By Lobowski 30th Dec 15, 3:12 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lobowski
    Hi, Sorry to hear you have had issues but as I posted before I found them to be really useful and their Customer Services are very good and considerate when dealing with refund requests. Firstly you should text STOP - It will end the billing - It wont cost more than a standard text charge whatever that is for your network and tariff. Then I suggest you do call their CS and I am sure they will sort you out really quickly. The number to dial is 03308080141.

These services are billed by the mobile network operators and you cannot be charged unless you complete 3 separate actions - that way they get your number and will have proof of consent to buy whatever it is they are offering - But as I said, if you arent happy, do send STOP ASAP and give their Customer Services a call and I am sure you will be fine.

Hope this helps!
    Originally posted by steveh14

Do you work for the company?

I unwittingly subscribed to the service as I was unaware I failed to notice the payments coming out, as they are an amount which is just small enough not to be noticed for a regular user.

Despite never once having used there service which they confirmed they are willing to only offer less than 30% of what they took from me. Personally I find it deceitful, 99.9% of services I subscribe to require name, address, DOB etc... My parents recently mis-subscribed to Amazon prime it was fully refunded with a problem. Now that's good customer service for you.

I like a challenge in life a cause so to speak as such am quite looking forward to raising cases with phonepayplus, OFCOM and the Minister for Telecoms. These kind of things require deeper regulation if you ask me. I've bought things from Google play before so im no imbecile, however the fact that this can be subscribed to without seeking it out, wanting it and providing any personal details is underhand
    • rabishux
    • By rabishux 4th Dec 16, 4:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rabishux
    69vidbox
    I had the same problem.

You NEED to:

1) Call your network provider and cancel subscription.
    2) Check the number here: psauthority.org.uk ( it is UK regulatory body that is dealing with phone-paid services)
    3) Report them. It is a scam !

They charged me 80 pounds. I never gave my number out to anyone. Suddenly they started to charge me. I do not know how it is possible. I realy suggest to report them to psauthority, because I think it is illegal.
    • GullibleProgrammer
    • By GullibleProgrammer 26th Dec 16, 9:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    GullibleProgrammer
    Mobidol - What to do if you have been charged
    Hello forum,

About four months ago I found out I was being charged £4.50 by mobidol for about 8 weeks. After a long chain of emails I was finally given a full refund.
    I was meant to post my steps months ago but I never got round to it (sorry) but now I find the quite time after Christmas that perfect time slot.
    I am also aware that someone from that company seems to be monitoring this forum so I don’t know if they will try to counter the process but all we can do is try.
    Hopefully if enough of us complain against this company something might actually be done by the regulator (or am I just living in dream land?)

Anyway, enough of that blurb – what did it do:

First step – call them and get them to stop it

0300 30 300 20 during the hours of 09:30-17:00 Monday to Friday.
    As always when calling get a name and also ask them questions about when did you subscribe and can you be sent the log files proof of purchase
    They will probably cancel it happily but say that anything else needs an email.

Step two – First email; something like:

Good morning,
    I (Mobile number xxxxxxxxxxx) have unknowingly and without my consent been subscribed to your service for the last eight weeks and have been charged £4.50 a week for this service.

I would like a full refund and an answer to the following questions:

When did I subscribe?
    What did I subscribe via?
    When did I agree to the terms and conditions?
    How long was I on the page the contained the terms and conditions?
    Do you have a minimum time on a page setting to make sure the users have read the terms and conditions and an explicit check box to tick before pressing any agree button?
    When was I sent the terms and conditions?
    How many of your services have I used since subscribing?

Can I please also have logs files for the above questions along with screen shots of the screens that I have clicked on a.k.a the user journey that I went on to subscribe to one of your services.

The key thing you want to do here is build a picture of the ‘journey’ you went on to sign up. And what is really important is to get the logs.

Step three – Chase them up
    They might actually get back to you within 48 hours – if not call them.
    What they will probably say is that you went through a four step process that could have not been by accident (we all know this is not true)
    They will also say that you are paying vis some mobile pay operation that all four big providers help build (which is grim and the my phone company Three also refused to contemplate that I did not got thought the four step process )
    What to do at this point is to continue to send emails asking for the log files of this four step process (aka proof of purchase) and for all of your other questions to be answered –remember phone and email chasers until they sent

Step 4 – Get sent the log file
    If they can’t send you a log file or any proof of purchase then demand a refund with the regulator stating that you are being billed without a proof a purchase.
    I actually got a log file stating prof or purchase set to me it was as follows (I have xxx’ed out my personal details and had to remove to links to post ):

CUSTOMER'S INFORMATION
    ----------------------------------------
    IP: xxxxxxxxxx
    MSISDN:
    IDENTITY: #xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    User Agent: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

SUBSCRIPTION PROCESS

Landing timestamp: 2016-06-08 14:43:46
    Landing page: LINKmobidol .talking-tom LINK
    CTA click timestamp: Unavailable
    Pre billing page:
    Post billing page: LINK mobidolLINK

Visit Token: xxxxxxx

Subscription Technical Information
    Service Name: LPM MOBIDOL UK
    Offer Name: IPX_UK | WAP | THREE | LPM MOBIDOL UK | SUBSCRIPTION 4.5 £ | 1 week | 5+1 credits | CDG 2014 | 204839
    Subscription Id: xxxxxx
    Operator Subscription Id: Unavailable
    Operator Transaction Id: Unavailable
    Subscription Start Date: 2016-06-08 14:43:56
    Subscription Stop Date: 2016-08-22 10:11:06
    Renewals:
    date: 2016-08-18 04:12:28 | tariff: 4.5
     This goes on for 8 weeks
    SMS HISTORY
    Welcome SMS:
    MSISDN: xxxxxx | Date: 2016-06-08 14:43:56 | Message ID: 1-xxxxxx
    Message Content:

The key parts of this are:
    Landing timestamp: 2016-06-08 14:43:46
    Landing page: mobidol link
    CTA click timestamp: Unavailable
    Pre billing page:
    Post billing page: mobidol link

Note CTA timestamp is unavailable and I never went on the pre billing page; its blank! I never completed the four step process (proof they are scum).

Step 5:
    Demand a full refund based on the lack of proof of purchase.
    They will probably make you and offer of 50% or something. Refuse this; get your 100% !
    I think I had about 10 back on forth email where I was asking for 100% refund or full proof of purchase.
    Keep demanding - cc the regulator and you will get there

Once they do this you will get sent a check from an odd company – but cash it and relax.

Let me know if the about helps.
    I really want to build a body of evidence against this company – they really are scum.
    Try to get all your questions answered and keep fighting for your money back.

All the best and apologies for the typos,
    GP
    • ELOUISE
    • By ELOUISE 27th Feb 17, 11:19 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    ELOUISE
    Hi thank you for your informative post, glad you finally got a refund! I received a text a few weeks ago saying I am now subscribed to Mobidol, I just ignored as thought was a scam and I was sitting at my desk at work so knew hadn't signed up yo anything. A month later I was checking my bill as was wondering why my direct debit amount had increased, only to discover these Mobidol charges. So I have just fired off an email based on your template, I'm very annoyed, will let you know how I get on!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,730Users online

Martin's Twitter