Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GullibleProgrammer
    • By GullibleProgrammer 26th Dec 16, 9:24 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 5Thanks
    GullibleProgrammer
    Mobidol - What to do if you have been charged
    • 26th Dec 16, 9:24 PM
    Mobidol - What to do if you have been charged 26th Dec 16 at 9:24 PM
    Hello forum,

About four months ago I found out I was being charged £4.50 by mobidol for about 8 weeks. After a long chain of emails I was finally given a full refund.
    I was meant to post my steps months ago but I never got round to it (sorry) but now I find the quite time after Christmas that perfect time slot.
    I am also aware that someone from that company seems to be monitoring this forum so I don’t know if they will try to counter the process but all we can do is try.
    Hopefully if enough of us complain against this company something might actually be done by the regulator (or am I just living in dream land?)

Anyway, enough of that blurb – what did it do:

First step – call them and get them to stop it

0300 30 300 20 during the hours of 09:30-17:00 Monday to Friday.
    As always when calling get a name and also ask them questions about when did you subscribe and can you be sent the log files proof of purchase
    They will probably cancel it happily but say that anything else needs an email.

Step two – First email; something like:

Good morning,
    I (Mobile number xxxxxxxxxxx) have unknowingly and without my consent been subscribed to your service for the last eight weeks and have been charged £4.50 a week for this service.

I would like a full refund and an answer to the following questions:

When did I subscribe?
    What did I subscribe via?
    When did I agree to the terms and conditions?
    How long was I on the page the contained the terms and conditions?
    Do you have a minimum time on a page setting to make sure the users have read the terms and conditions and an explicit check box to tick before pressing any agree button?
    When was I sent the terms and conditions?
    How many of your services have I used since subscribing?

Can I please also have logs files for the above questions along with screen shots of the screens that I have clicked on a.k.a the user journey that I went on to subscribe to one of your services.

The key thing you want to do here is build a picture of the ‘journey’ you went on to sign up. And what is really important is to get the logs.

Step three – Chase them up
    They might actually get back to you within 48 hours – if not call them.
    What they will probably say is that you went through a four step process that could have not been by accident (we all know this is not true)
    They will also say that you are paying vis some mobile pay operation that all four big providers help build (which is grim and the my phone company Three also refused to contemplate that I did not got thought the four step process )
    What to do at this point is to continue to send emails asking for the log files of this four step process (aka proof of purchase) and for all of your other questions to be answered –remember phone and email chasers until they sent

Step 4 – Get sent the log file
    If they can’t send you a log file or any proof of purchase then demand a refund with the regulator stating that you are being billed without a proof a purchase.
    I actually got a log file stating prof or purchase set to me it was as follows (I have xxx’ed out my personal details and had to remove to links to post ):

CUSTOMER'S INFORMATION
    ----------------------------------------
    IP: xxxxxxxxxx
    MSISDN:
    IDENTITY: #xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    User Agent: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

SUBSCRIPTION PROCESS

Landing timestamp: 2016-06-08 14:43:46
    Landing page: LINKmobidol .talking-tom LINK
    CTA click timestamp: Unavailable
    Pre billing page:
    Post billing page: LINK mobidolLINK

Visit Token: xxxxxxx

Subscription Technical Information
    Service Name: LPM MOBIDOL UK
    Offer Name: IPX_UK | WAP | THREE | LPM MOBIDOL UK | SUBSCRIPTION 4.5 £ | 1 week | 5+1 credits | CDG 2014 | 204839
    Subscription Id: xxxxxx
    Operator Subscription Id: Unavailable
    Operator Transaction Id: Unavailable
    Subscription Start Date: 2016-06-08 14:43:56
    Subscription Stop Date: 2016-08-22 10:11:06
    Renewals:
    date: 2016-08-18 04:12:28 | tariff: 4.5
     This goes on for 8 weeks
    SMS HISTORY
    Welcome SMS:
    MSISDN: xxxxxx | Date: 2016-06-08 14:43:56 | Message ID: 1-xxxxxx
    Message Content:

The key parts of this are:
    Landing timestamp: 2016-06-08 14:43:46
    Landing page: mobidol link
    CTA click timestamp: Unavailable
    Pre billing page:
    Post billing page: mobidol link

Note CTA timestamp is unavailable and I never went on the pre billing page; its blank! I never completed the four step process (proof they are scum).

Step 5:
    Demand a full refund based on the lack of proof of purchase.
    They will probably make you and offer of 50% or something. Refuse this; get your 100% !
    I think I had about 10 back on forth email where I was asking for 100% refund or full proof of purchase.
    Keep demanding - cc the regulator and you will get there

Once they do this you will get sent a check from an odd company – but cash it and relax.

Let me know if the about helps.
    I really want to build a body of evidence against this company – they really are scum.
    Try to get all your questions answered and keep fighting for your money back.

All the best and apologies for the typos,
    GP
Page 1
    • ELOUISE
    • By ELOUISE 27th Feb 17, 11:19 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    ELOUISE
    • 27th Feb 17, 11:19 PM
    • 27th Feb 17, 11:19 PM
    Hi thank you for your informative post, glad you finally got a refund! I received a text a few weeks ago saying I am now subscribed to Mobidol, I just ignored as thought was a scam and I was sitting at my desk at work so knew hadn't signed up yo anything. A month later I was checking my bill as was wondering why my direct debit amount had increased, only to discover these Mobidol charges. So I have just fired off an email based on your template, I'm very annoyed, will let you know how I get on!
    • metrobus
    • By metrobus 28th Feb 17, 2:04 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 644 Thanks
    metrobus
    • 28th Feb 17, 2:04 PM
    • 28th Feb 17, 2:04 PM
    These companies are indeed scum,but what I found also is that phonepayplus the so called regulator do not care a toss and try to
    Palm you off.
    They eventually took a statement after telling me i MUST have agreed to download a game which I did not,no payment screen or confirmation screen.nothing.
    The girl was totally uninterested in my complaint and I know was only going through the motions.
    PhonePayPlus are a bunch of parasites also and a complete waste of time.

Three mobile are also useless and do not do anything since the own along with
    the other mobile companies payforit the collection company who take a large
    proportion of the money the scam makes.I was lucky and only about a month of my
    contract and left immediately but ended up being scammed for £27 by them.
    Last edited by metrobus; 28-02-2017 at 2:08 PM.
    • ELOUISE
    • By ELOUISE 20th Mar 17, 8:55 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    ELOUISE
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:55 PM
    Thanks GullibleProgrammer
    • 20th Mar 17, 8:55 PM
    Thank you GullibleProgrammer, I think Mobidol must be watching this forum, because thanks to me following your instructions they sent me a full refund by cheque within a week and I didn't have to go to the regulator. So thanks very much for taking your time to post i'm sure it will help many others too not to be scammed.

Last edited by ELOUISE; 20-03-2017 at 8:59 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,010Posts Today

7,277Users online

Martin's Twitter