Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,172Posts
    • 12,593Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
Page 76
    • alja
    • By alja 9th Oct 17, 6:04 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 7,436 Thanks
    alja
    kpwll- thank you for the well wishes, just want it over and done with now

The Coca Cola paper sounds really fun! I'll look out for that

After writing my old school friends' cards this weekend, I ended up writing my neighbour cards too! Think my OH thinks I'm crazy!

I had a little snoop around the M&S gifts today on my lunch break. Still holding out for their 50% off weeks! I did manage to buy myself two tips for £4.50 though, they have a good sale at the moment which might be helpful for gifts
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 9th Oct 17, 7:34 PM
    • 813 Posts
    • 15,281 Thanks
    vulpix
    Ooo for Coca Cola lovers i have seen a Coca Cola lorry snow globe in Dunelm.Cute.
    • whitesatin
    • By whitesatin 10th Oct 17, 9:23 AM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 5,778 Thanks
    whitesatin
    For anyone already making an Amazon order over, I think, £20, it's worth looking at their children's Add On items. I just received (along with my birthday treat to myself Joules gilet, lol), two packs of 700 Peppa Pig stickers. They were £1.69 each, and a nice stocking filler for my two youngest grandsons who are equally Peppa mad.
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 10th Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    • 3,510 Posts
    • 15,277 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Ooh, have just seen that there will be a Winterfest in Crystal Palace Park starting 8th December, with Christmas stalls. As I can walk there, or if feeling lazy, would take the bus as driving there would be a mare (it is a one way system), although parking is good in the park, it will be something to look forward to. I should be finished with everything by then, so it will be for a leisurely look around.
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 10th Oct 17, 10:42 AM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 12,875 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    l am procrastinating. l have a load of things l should be doing. l don't want to do any of them. l am procrastinating. Blink, read, repeat.
    • kabinsons1
    • By kabinsons1 10th Oct 17, 12:50 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    kabinsons1
    I really can't decide whether to do the Christmas elf or not. I know Wiggle would love it but I know that once i've started i'll have to keep it going and I don't know if i'll have the time/energy! But it's getting so popular now that if I don't do it Wiggle will probably hear about it from friends and wonder why the elf doesn't visit us
    Thanks for giving a lot of suggestion about the Christmas elf.
    Nice to see this......
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 10th Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 13,854 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    My god I'm late to the party.

Quick update. I've bought most of my Xmas presents already. For the first time in my life. However, what I do no have though is any decorations...!!

This year I moved our from the parents and bought my first home. So I'm without a Christmas tree, decorations or anything Christmasy at all. I love the festive period and so it's an expense that I accept.

With my days of being in debt still ringing in my head, I'm keen to do this very much MSE. So where do I start?

I'm thinking about buying my tree from Ikea if they run the promotion of the additional £20 voucher? Any other suggestions?
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • Snorkypants
    • By Snorkypants 10th Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 1,219 Thanks
    Snorkypants
    Just lost a post Grrrrrrrrrrr

In a nutshell it said

Sneaky Snorky!

How was Yoga Peppa.

Vx
    Originally posted by vulpix

Very sneaky! I should probably feel bad but I don't!
    Emergency Fund Challenge Member #138 - £1000/£1000
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 10th Oct 17, 3:08 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 2,103 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Afternoon everyone. Nearly my sister's birthday already. The weeks seem to be hurtling by at an alarming rate!

Oh So Cherished have a Christmas shop up: http://www.ohsocherished.co.uk/Personalised-Christmas-Gifts-s/1969.htm

I know how much you all love my health updates (). Got a mystery appointment monday next week at the hospital. They did the usual automated 'are you still coming' phone call without sending me a letter about it. So I panicked and confirmed even though I have no idea what it's for/where it is (might be 24hr ECG). And then on wednesday I have an appt. at 8.10am for an Echo. Not looking forward to sitting/lying there with no top on for 20-40 mins while someone (knowing my luck it will be a man too) digs an ultrasound in my side.

I've got my Christmas presents sorted for Mum. Just need to finish her advent calendar now... And I need to start working on ideas for everyone else.
    Trying to write myself a Christmas list. Mum's already asking for it. But it gets harder and harder each year. Am I becoming a proper adult then?

On the look out for a nice Christmas jumper. Wanted one last year but didn't succeed. I will have one this year!

Hope everyone is well. I have been reading along honest. xx
    Save
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • VeronicaMars
    • By VeronicaMars 10th Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 733 Thanks
    VeronicaMars
    Hello everyone!

Been reading along aswell but had so much on!

The peppa pig stickers sound like a great idea!

My friend gets the Ikea tree every year and swears by it - she says they make a day of going to pick it and then they make a day to go over and get lunch and spend the voucher on food and toiletries in January (when you are allowed to spend it).

We opted for an expensive pre-lit artificial one this year as I have too much on in December each year to guarantee a day to go and buy my tree - love the idea though!

*OPINION TIME (please)* - my little one goes to nursery (she's 1) they have different rooms depending on age, across the two days she is there are 4 different girls who look after her. Nursery is also quite large so think there are 4 rooms in total plus office staff.

Option 1 ) Should I just buy Christmas presents for the girls who look after my daughter

Option 2) Or should I buy something for everyone which seems obscene and would likely result in a large tin of chocolates

Option 3) Or do both - More my thinking as I've already picked up a tin of Christmas biscuits from Tesco on sale but also have small Arran Aromatics smelly sets that I've picked up for the 4 girls and was going to make them Hot Chocolate Reindeers.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by VeronicaMars; 10-10-2017 at 5:29 PM.

Mortgage July 2016 - £175,295.00
    Mortgage Sept 2017 - £167,350.00

Officially debt free 27th November 2014
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 10th Oct 17, 5:35 PM
    • 813 Posts
    • 15,281 Thanks
    vulpix
    VM Hmmm tough one. I used to work in a Primary school. We were a staff team and it was appreciated that we had a team gift.Best gifts were not chocolate as we were always on a diet but things like teabags and coffee.Might be different in a Nursery but how about the little gift for her carers and a small team gift.Shows appreciation for the cleaning staff,admin,catering etc.

Speky s I would haunt the charity shops and ebay and FB sales pages for decorations and/or an artificial tree.You can always send them to the charity shop after Christmas and buy new in the sales.If its your thing you could always make decorations quite cheaply.I bet your family would have stuff to donate to you.I am always trying to give my daughter stuff!

I bought some fabric to make another Christmas tree skirt today.Silver one this time.

Vx
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 10th Oct 17, 6:05 PM
    • 4,363 Posts
    • 42,347 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    VM - When my daughter was at nursery, I just bought for the girls of the room she was in and then when she left to go to school I bought a large sharing gift for them all to go in the staff room. I figured (especially at the beginning) the other rooms wouldn't really know her if she wasn't in their group and with 20 odd kids in each room, if every parent bought for every carer, those girls would be inundated with biscuits, sweets etc. The carers also used to do the cleaning of the rooms so i didnt have to worry about cleaners getting something.

Speky - Poundland usually have packs of baubles and tinsel if your just looking for cheap decs for this year. I have a bit of a passion for handmade, unique tree decs and after 17 years I finally have a tree that is entirely covered in decs I have collected and apart from one box of red baubles I bought in the sale one year, all my cheap decs have been replaced. I just bought the odd nice one each year at the christmas market or in the january sales as I spotted them (I have no desire to know exactly how much money is now on my tree! but it looks amazing) The hardest thing I found was trying to buy a 'real' fairy for the top of my tree, they all seem to have those cone things where the legs are supposed to be, but I found her after 8 years on ebay of all places.

STILL making my mothers present, this is seriously the never ending cardi!

right back to hunting for a portable charger for DS as i'd forgotten that was gift number 5 and I haven't actually bought it yet
    Last edited by jakes-mum; 10-10-2017 at 6:10 PM.
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) 0/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 10th Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    • 4,406 Posts
    • 26,595 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Another 2 presents purchased today so that's the 7 year old sorted. Her mum sent me two ideas off her list and as they were £11.99 each or 2 for £15 she got both as that was the budget.

As always it is the menfolk that are harder to buy for
    • whitesatin
    • By whitesatin 10th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 5,778 Thanks
    whitesatin
    I haven't bought a real tree for quite a few years as my friend always comes to stay for a few days at the very beginning of December and Christmas starts then so the tree would be bare by Christmas if it was real.

I always hanker after a real one though, I love the process of going to get it, getting it home and unleashing it, lol. Now, today I have found out that my friend probably won't be coming this year so now is my chance to have that real tree. I am a bit upset about her not coming but I have to look on the bright side. Real tree!
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 10th Oct 17, 9:32 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 15,375 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Welcome PINKANGEL, SPEKY and VM and any other newbies ive managed to miss.

SPEKY I can recommend Primark tree decs, I bought some today and they were really reasonable (box of six good size vintage style baubles for £3) but they had cheaper ones too and they were lovely as well. Home Bargains have some nice decs at good prices too.

VM can't be much help I'm afraid, it's ages since I had little ones at nursery and to be honest I can't even remember what we did.

CLUMSY I wouldn't worry about the Echo, I've had a couple and kept my bra on both times.

MRSINVISIBLE procrastination definitely doesn't sound like you you're always so busy. Maybe you just need some time to chill and do nothing.

VULPIX yoga was good thanks, I've got my mat now so I'm planning to go every week. It's very gentle yoga with a mature clientele (I'm one if the youngest) but it's a good level for me. I'm hoping it's going to help me be centred, calm and much more supple.

Well I've had a lovely time shopping with DD again today and I've finished off several pressies and got quite a few more to 'almost complete' stage so I'm feeling very pleased with myself plus I've actually got something to wrap at our next wrapping party. I'll post some pics of a few bits if I can remember how to do it. Apologies in advance if I bore everyone
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • mandco
    • By mandco 10th Oct 17, 10:15 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 8,927 Thanks
    mandco
    tom
    aarggghhh lost my post

too tired to redo it now so will catch up tomorrow
    Tc all
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 11th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 15,375 Thanks
    Peppapig
    It's ok peeps, you're safe from my pics, I can't remember my photobucket log in (might try and rejoin later, can't put the pics on IG because the recipients will see them )

Happy Wednesday everyone.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 11th Oct 17, 9:19 AM
    • 4,406 Posts
    • 26,595 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Photobucket no longer support hosting photos for third party sites unless you pay for your account hunlots of eBay users have been affected by it and instead of their photos it just shows a generic photobucket photo that the account does not support their photos.

Hope everyone is good today.
    • alja
    • By alja 11th Oct 17, 11:08 AM
    • 763 Posts
    • 7,436 Thanks
    alja
    Resting up today after yesterday's little hospital procedure, so seeing as I'm not at work I'm using the time to plan the rest of my Christmas pressies and do a spot of online shopping to move things along.

Going to buy a whole load of beauty things from Superdrug today (we love their cruelty free own brand stuff & free delivery for loyalty card holders - so helpful!). So I'm getting my mum some body lotions/butters and a night cream as she's asked for those.

I'm also taking this moment to stock up on my everyday toiletries to last me over Christmas as that'll be a few less things to worry or think about over the busy period!

I'm trying to think what to get next for OH's mum. I've bought her some lovely stationery bits and I think I will get her a beauty gift of some kind. But as she's been a little more strapped for cash lately and has even taken on a second job etc. to pay for everything, I'm thinking of making her a little foodie hamper. As much as it will be a lovely gift to receive, underneath it all I'm hoping it'll actually help her out a little bit too.

I'm thinking of the M&S Christmas teabags, biscuits, maybe some chutneys, etc.
    • kpwll
    • By kpwll 11th Oct 17, 11:45 AM
    • 1,632 Posts
    • 3,557 Thanks
    kpwll
    Morning all,

I'm jealous of all of you being so prepared, we are still in the process of finishing off an extension (kitchen, wet-room, utility) and the rest of downstairs and then have to start on the upstairs. So we've got 'junk' everywhere.
    Some bright spark (me) decided it would be a good idea to demolish an 8' wardrobe fitment in our bedroom when the skips were here.
    What an idiot, we've got less room now because of all the hanging rails, storage bags etc in 2 bedrooms. Son's bedroom is full of his junk.
    I've got no hidden cubby holes to hide things in, so haven't started (apart from chocs) any preparations .

Alja, hope it all went ok and you're not too uncomfortable. Take it easy and if you can, have a bit of spoiling for yourself.
    I think the food hamper is a lovely idea. Useful and you can place treats that she wouldn't buy for herself (or others).

Have a great day everyone, will pop back in later.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

163Posts Today

1,965Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin