Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,173Posts
    • 12,601Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
Page 75
    • alja
    • By alja 8th Oct 17, 9:51 AM
    • 763 Posts
    • 7,436 Thanks
    alja
    Finally just caught up once again after yet another hectic busy week...so lovely to hear everyone's plans and present buys!

Week has been so busy again so haven't had a chance to think of Christmas, but I did by OH's Christmas card in Card F. yesterday. Is it me or are they charging more than usual for their Christmas cards? The one I bought is still a lot less than I could pay at £1.49 but so many seemed around that price. I think it's just because I'm so used to all their well under £1 options during the year that I always grab.

I have a little hospital procedure this week so I am off work for the day I have it and the next day to rest up. So I think I will use that sofa time to plan extra presents.

Most of my presents are now wrapped which is great to help me feel organised quite tempted to write out my friends' cards today to just get those done too...

Vulpix, I'm doing the same this year with using up wrapping paper. I have a few rolls to use up but once they're done and I need to restock I want to keep to more of a theme across the paper I buy.

Where do you all buy your wrapping paper from? Are there any particular good places to buy decent enough paper for a good price?

Enjoy your Sunday everyone!
    • murie
    • By murie 8th Oct 17, 10:00 AM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 9,204 Thanks
    murie
    Morning!
    Seems as if most are on track and those that haven't got there yet know more or less what they are getting. I am more or less sorted with ideas- just need the funds to turn them into actual gifts. DH is having a Mont Blanc fountain pen (off me and the kids) DS money and a selection of fine malts (managed to do a survey that paid out a monstrous amount in Amazon vouchers which went a long way towards getting him a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue label) and I think I know what to get DD although I am still pondering. Does anyone have a Dyson hairdryer and would they recommend ? I will give Mom some money and maybe some Lulu Time Bomb stuff from QVC as she loves it. Have idea for sis and her family too.

I am another that totally forgot the wrapping evening (hangs my head in shame)- must try harder! I bought some nice wrapping paper from Morrisons yesterday (on the hunt for those cocktail baubles and couldn't find any), this years wrapping theme will be traditional red/tartan and stags. I did navy and copper last year and lovely as it looked it wasn't Christmassy enough iykwim so I am going back to traditional colours.
    My Christmas food cupboard is growing and last night I sat down with my CK planner (and a glass of wine) and worked out what I need to get- Im planning on two things a week bunged in with normal weekly shop, which should keep the cost down in the week before Christmas.

Welcome all Newbies!
    All those poorlies- hope you get better soon x
    Vulpix- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/48x72-Rose-Gold-Sparkly-Sequin-Tablecloth-Background-Wedding-Party-Decor-UK-/292269046004?hash=item440c97b8f4:g:LmAAAOSwAVxZyhq 8

be warned they are raw edges so leave sequins everywhere for a day or so after. When I get them I give them a good shake outside to get rid of most of them. I have 2 and a table runner as the tables when we have a party are 14ft.( I save up my paypal from surveys to fund my sparkly table cloth addiction.) They do make a massive difference to a part table tho IMHO, especially over a dark cloth underneath.
    Mrs I- those are very creative ways to wrap vouchers etc- I might pinch the frame one for DS's cash gift.
    lovin' this site!
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 8th Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    • 3,063 Posts
    • 19,297 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    (on the hunt for those cocktail baubles and couldn't find any),
    Originally posted by murie

Apparently they also have them in Sainsburys - cant remember if I read that here or on facebook but wanted to pass it on :-)
    Feeling human for the first time in 4 years
    ....Thats Christmas To Me.....
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 8th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    • 574 Posts
    • 8,815 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    Murie I have a dys0n hairdryer and love it. My excuse for buying it was I have psoriasis top to toe and my scalp is one of those problem areas. The dryer has actually stopped my scalp being quite so irritated and dries my hair quick and naturally. I expect someone else will be able to give styling advice but for quickness and gentle on the skin it's a winner in my book. Saying that for those on my IG will see I recently took off about a foot in length of hair!
    • alja
    • By alja 8th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 7,436 Thanks
    alja
    Well I've just written all my old school friends' Christmas cards, feeling really organised by getting them all sorted.

I'll be writing cards for a few neighbours of mine, my parents, OH, his family and friends we have on his side too, so still lots left to write!

Does anyone know roughly when marks and sparks start their 50% off weeks when they do 50% off a different range of gift sets each week? I buy a lot of beauty gifts from them for my parents at Christmas, so I need to keep on top of when the best time to buy them is.

If anyone knows of any good places that give you the heads up on what is on when (maybe hukd I'm thinking?) that would be so lovely!
    • kpwll
    • By kpwll 8th Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 1,632 Posts
    • 3,558 Thanks
    kpwll
    Best wishes for your procedure alja.

I was fed up of just having rolls of wrapping paper last year so I bought loads of sheets from Amazon. I just put it in the Amazon search bar and up they came.

They were not the old type tissue thin sheets but withstood handling/folding well.

If anyone is tempted, check the size of the sheets, as they are not all the same. The smaller ones were good quality and useful for smaller items but not for something like pjs etc. The larger ones were good too.
    Last edited by kpwll; 08-10-2017 at 12:48 PM. Reason: extra info
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 8th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 15,283 Thanks
    vulpix
    Just a quickie.I got the cocktail baubles in Morrisons but not with booze as you would expect.They were on the top shelf with seasonal goods.Blink and you would miss them as they were with toiletries etc.

I have to get a sparkly tablecloth.Just for show,i can imagine Ds dropping gravy and sprouts all over it!

I always get paper in the January sales.It makes sense to stick to similar colours every year Murie, so using up won't be as obvious as mine is this year.

Vx
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 8th Oct 17, 1:21 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 1,778 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Had a little mooch around the Christmas section of Wilko yesterday and spotted some really nice wrapping paper. Didn't have much time as I wanted so I'll go back in a few weeks for a proper look. I also need some Christmas decorations as this is our first Christmas here, so I'm bauble hunting. There's some gorgeous ones in John Lewis, but hideously expensive (as all JL things are) so I might just buy one as a special "first Christmas" treat using some money left over on a wedding giftcard we received.

I also need to finish off my Christmas shoeboxes so need to have a look around Primark for winter things soon. This is my first year as an area collector (I've been doing them for the charity, Link to Hope, for a while now but this is the first year I've been able to volunteer to act as a drop-off point) and someone's already dropped off 20 shoeboxes! She said she'd always wanted to do them for the charity but there was never a collector around here before, she was thrilled when she saw I was now on the list.

I've also started to add to my list of ideas for my siblings. Need to start increasing my candle purchase for Mum's gift but I'm worried about the scent wearing off while they sit in a box in the spare room for the next 2 months. Or do they not really lose their smell?
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Make £3 a Day in September 2017 - £29.31/£90 (2017 total - £164.27) | Womble #03 - £4.32 | Overpayments in 2017 - £1063.78
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 8th Oct 17, 6:05 PM
    • 4,407 Posts
    • 26,610 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Got all my wrapping paper and tags after last Christmas for pennies. Think got some from Morrisons and some from Sainsbury's - will have to get it out as can't remember what it looks like

Should have some deliveries coming tomorrow all being well. Including my own Christmas present from my Dad as he always asks me to buy what I want and he pays me back and wraps it up.

Hope they don't keep me waiting in all day as need a trip to town as well.

Might do some wrapping if I have to wait in as seems you are all organised on that front
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 8th Oct 17, 7:05 PM
    • 4,363 Posts
    • 42,354 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Evening all, I feel like i might be in the minority here but i love wrapping christmas presents! I set aside an entire day where I lock myself in the bedroom with everything and go for it, only person allowed in is DH with cups of tea (and he soon scarpers because even after all these years he worries I might try and cajole him into helping but as it takes him DD and DS up to 3 hrs to wrap 3 presents for me . . badly . . there is no chance of me EVER letting him near my wrapping party! )

I always buy my wrapping paper in the january sales and find Waitr0se do very good discounts on their paper if you wait till after the new year. I always get rolls for 40 - 50p a roll and its nice and thick, but im not above the cheap stuff that tears immediately for 10p either (DD's birthday is also in january so I try and get plain silver and red to use on her gifts along with those cut price sweeties)

Ahh thank you Sammy Kaye! if you do manage to find out I will be eternally grateful, bless her, its all she wants. well that and Fifa 18 lol

Thank you Peppa pig, she is indeed my little star, she really doesn't ask for much bless her, if I do spot a deal I shall make sure to pop it on this thread

Talking of DD, I have been musing! She has all of a sudden become mad on Harry Potter, she is working her way through the films and has started to read my books, so I was wondering about buying tickets to take her to the HP tour in london, DH thought we could make a day of it, take the train and maybe stay overnight in a hotel with her. Has anyone been? is it good for an almost 10 year old or would a child get a bit bored after a while? i've never been and asking DS what it was like is . . well . . . like asking a snail if it could hurry along

Still soldiering on with mums cardigan and looking up security cameras for my dad.

I have found a hot chocolate man! He's in Cardiff but posts and he supposedly makes the most awesome hot chocolate which is Vegan, Gluten Free and Nut Free. Now my DS is a coeliac, my BIL goes into anaphalactic shock when he eats gluten and my Sis is, well, allergic to a rediculously long list of things . . BUT they can all drink this hot chocolate (and my BIL and sis are HUUUGE hot chocolate fans!) so I am seriously considering buying them all some for christmas.

I now need to figure out what to buy DH, the man of many expensive tastes, and he has asked me the question of doom, what do I want . . the answer is absolutely nothing, there is nothing I want apart from a bag of maltesers that I don't have to share! (and maybe a fake pack of after eights from poundland . . they are soooo nice!). Not sure how he's going to take me saying 'nothing thanks'
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) 0/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25
    • whitesatin
    • By whitesatin 8th Oct 17, 9:39 PM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 5,778 Thanks
    whitesatin
    VULPIX/MANDCO in our house the Christmas chocs have to be protected from me!

STOKIE I know what you mean, I feel like I'm making real progress then I check the list and realise I've still got lots to get.

SASHANUT if you scroll back a few weeks you should find some posts about Christmas markets that might help you because we did have quite a chat about them.

KPWLL my DD is the same but so am so it's ok

CARLISLELASS glad your parcel was ok this time.

JAKESMUM your daughter sounds lovely. If you do spot the Fitbit on offer do let me know.

Hope you get your garden tidied MRSI, we were lucky today as it didn't rain til about half past four.

WHITESATIN that sounds a sensible way forward. Can I ask where you saw the lego deal?

Been watching QVC on and off today but just bought the led lights on thin wire because I left it too late last year and missed them.
    Originally posted by Peppapig
    Peppapig, it was on HotUKDeals the other day, I checked prices online and £18 was a good price so I ordered. I fear they may have sold out now but worth a look - George online. Good luck.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 9th Oct 17, 12:34 AM
    • 10,335 Posts
    • 19,068 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Thanks so much for the suggestions for mum’s voucher- much appreciated! I’ll print it off at uni tomorrow and then i’ll have a think about what to do. This year’s wrapping paper is from Ikea- random I know I was there buying a chair for my study and decided to buy my wrapping paper
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! ❤️DMU MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and pleased to be sponsor for the 2nd season ❤️ 🐝
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 9th Oct 17, 9:56 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 846 Thanks
    LMG1305
    Wow this thread is moving quickly now!!

I had a sort out of my bedroom this weekend, well a little sort out anyway & came across a few things that I have already bought that I forgot about. They are only small things, like a book for DD2 and some smellies, but it's a start

I have been putting stuff on ebay this weekend too. Some of the things I've put on there were presents I received last Christmas, which were just not being used & still in boxes looking brand new, so I thought rather than them going to waste I would get rid of them & use the money to put towards Christmas presents.

I am in work at the moment so going to catch up with the thread properly later, it's moving so quickly now I can't just pop in & out anymore!!
    • kabinsons1
    • By kabinsons1 9th Oct 17, 12:04 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    kabinsons1
    Hi and welcome newbies!

mandco that’s a really good point actually, you don’t have to do something every day. That makes it feel more achievable!

vulpix glad you had a lovely time in Scotland! I’d love to go to Chatsworth House at Christmas but sadly don’t live close enough! I bet it’s lovely.

PinkAngel thanks for the heads up about M&S food ordering being live, I like to get some M&S bits at Christmas!

Peppa yes for some reason I never thought that I didn’t have to do something every day! I think I will wait for next year too when Wiggle is 4 as he might understand it a bit better then. Bless your DD, it must be hard working such long hours in such an emotionally demanding job.

I decided to go for a walk for Squeak’s nap this morning as I need to get some exercise and I couldn’t resist popping into the charity shop, which is fine except that I bought two more Christmas books! I got ‘Mistletoe Mansion’ by Samantha Tonge and ‘Mince Pies and Mistletoe at the Christmas Market’ by Heidi Swain. This is to add to the one I’m already reading on Kindle and the other two paperbacks I have on my bookshelf! For some reason I’m incapable of leaving Christmas books behind!

I am very happy to know that you are now so glad and your time is so lovely.
    • Snorkypants
    • By Snorkypants 9th Oct 17, 1:16 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 1,221 Thanks
    Snorkypants
    Murie, the phrase "sparkly table cloth addiction" really put a smile on my face!

I made a trip to M&S on Friday and got one of the Stag shortbread tins on half price. I also got a nice box of chocs on half price so that's my other-half's Aunt and Uncle taken care of.

And I also got a box of the extremely chocolaty biscuits for us (also half price), we have to have a box every year. There's only two of the shortbread circles in each box and there's 3 of us but luckily my step son hasn't sussed out that they are the best ones yet so we don't have to fight over them.
    Emergency Fund Challenge Member #138 - £1000/£1000
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 9th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 15,283 Thanks
    vulpix
    Just lost a post Grrrrrrrrrrr

In a nutshell it said

Sneaky Snorky!

How was Yoga Peppa.

Vx
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 9th Oct 17, 2:23 PM
    • 4,363 Posts
    • 42,354 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Just been into the city on a christmas shopping run . . forgot DD's list, so bought nothing more for her except some sweets for her stocking Got 2 links taken out of DS's watch for free by HSamuel (as I bought it from them, its £20 if you haven't) so thats all ready for wrapping and then 'accidentally' went into M&S and bought 2 boxes of biscuits on the 2 for £8 offer and 2 of the 2 for £3.50 small packs of biscuits to tide us over until the big ones can be opened

Tried to have dinner out at the american diner and they had run out of burger buns how the heck does a burger joint run out of buns? So ended up coming home and eating at the local pub grub instead, we still got burgers so its all good
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) 0/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 9th Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    • 4,407 Posts
    • 26,610 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Vintage - I was in Wilko earlier and saw some beautiful gift wrap - if I hadn't already got mine it would have come home with me I am sure.

Home bargains had a candle advent calendar in for 3.99 was tempted to get for my mum, will probably regret not picking it up.

Managed to pick up some little gift bags in there though for 39p each - just the right size to put the gift cards in that I will buy so they look more "gift like"

Also got a small gift box in card factory for partners mum's charm I bought that has been delivered today (minus a box doh!) And for my bracelet that I am putting up for Christmas as part of it is off my dad and part of it I have bought identical for my mum and sister so can't wear it now.

Other half sent me a picture whilst he was shopping at weekend of a little tool bag he wanted so have picked that up today too plus taken delivery of his new dressing gown (it's sooooo soft I am actually tempted to buy myself the same after Christmas)
    • PinkAngel8
    • By PinkAngel8 9th Oct 17, 4:40 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    PinkAngel8
    afternoon, Im loving seeing what you have all been buying! Next online have some fantastic stocking fillers and secret santa gifts, Ive spotted a few bits for my teens, its my first day off after a crazy work week between my two jobs, so Im watching Arthur Christmas and writing out some lists �� xx
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 9th Oct 17, 4:56 PM
    • 2,663 Posts
    • 35,315 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone, I managed to get to The Range this weekend, loved all the Christmas bits but didn't buy anything but I did come out with a beautiful silver stag, I just couldn't leave it there, it was shouting at me, so that is about no7 now of different stags. I also got the Coca Cola wrapping paper (thanks mandco), when we got outside DD1 saw it and said she wants to wrap all her present in it, I told her to go back in but she said she will get some next time (we will see if there is any left)
    CURRENTLY READING THE LITTLE WEDDING SHOP BY THE SEA - JANE LINFOOT
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £155
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £590/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,809Posts Today

6,055Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin