Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,168Posts
    • 12,566Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ĎWell I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmasí

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
Page 74
    • whitesatin
    • By whitesatin 6th Oct 17, 6:19 PM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 5,778 Thanks
    whitesatin
    I'm so excited as my daughter has just booked for she and I to go to Chamonix for a few days - early in December. I guess I will get some shopping opportunities whilst there - thinking chocolate and other essential stuff for my grandchildren.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 6th Oct 17, 6:50 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 15,341 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Loving all the Christmas chatter, sure sign we're into October and preparations are really ramping up.

Welcome COXY. I think other people's teens are really difficult and must admit I usually end up doing festive sweets/chocs and Primark vouchers. Last year must have been awful for you all, no doubt this year will also be bittersweet but good for you trying to make it special for everyone.

PRINCESSKITTY me and DD1 are the same, we were so excited when we got in the Range - I could easily have bought all the lighting and most of the decs lol.

FREE I'm really hoping QVC will improve, I hate it when they basically do all their normal shows and just put Christmas in the title MURIE has made me want to look into the Cozee Homes throws though so if they're on I'll make an exception.

SAMMY hope your headache is easier, I bet snuggling up with Nicky was lovely though. Unfortunately you've made me fancy sausages and I don't have any.

MANDCO I thought Wilkies had some good sweets - I always buy a tube of sweets to go with some of the pressies so was happy to save 25p a time.

LIZALEXANDER thanks for the cocktail baubles tip. GYD has made me want to get some for pressies but our Morrisons is a trek and one of those car parks that you take ages to get out of so I might go to Sainsbury's instead.

CARLISLELASS that's very frustrating, hope you can get them redelivered.

Ooh WHITESATIN that sounds like a lovely pre-Christmas treat and a fabulous excuse to buy (and eat) lots of lovely goodies.

I have another shopping day planned with DD1 on Tuesday. This time we'll be heading to Poundland (of course), Primark (hoping to get some bits for the grandies) and Matalan because I've not seen their Christmas range in real life, only on the website. As our smaller B&M is next to Matalan I think we'll squeeze that in too and hope it does better than the big B&M did last time. Getting very excited now, I feel the Gavin and Stacey Christmas Special coming on.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 6th Oct 17, 9:28 PM
    • 813 Posts
    • 15,279 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hi and Welcome Coxy 11.

Carlisle lass,thats a pain but the joys of shopping early,it can be sent to you again with time to spare.

Well i went to M n S today to seek out the bargains.I kid you not,there was just an empty shelf where the half price things should have been

I have wrapped another 10 things tonight.They look so lovely wrapped. I am having a using up paper year.Every few years I use up the bits left from other years and have a mixture instead of co ordinated paper.

I have decided to crack on with wrapping as if we see a nice little holiday we will be off somewhere.Also now Mr V has made a decision about having his 60th Birthday party at home there will be a lot to do for that as it's the week before Christmas.I would like to be all wrapped by the end of November. So i can be all chilled and enjoy the festivities.

I need to think about food for this party which you are all invited to by the way,and food for Christmas.NO WAY can chocolates be purchased beforehand as they wouldn't see Christmas.I have in the past kept a box of food at my Mum's so the gannets can't get at it.

We have a Morrisons not too far so I will look for the cocktail baubles,just need one more little thing for sons GF.

Have spent about £35 so far on DD2 (16) on stocking fillers.She also has a gold locket and we thought we would get her a cheap record player as she is into records.If record playing is going to be her thing she can get a better one in time.I had to talk MR V out of buying top of the range stuff as it may just be a fad.

Going shopping tomorrow so will be on the look out for bits for the Grandmas.Also going to my friends jewellers shop.Mr V wants an earring making for his birthday.She is very talented and does me mates rates but we will have to order it now to be in with a chance of it being ready in time.

Sammy K I hope you are feeling better now x

Whitesatin what a lovely trip,you lucky things.

Vx
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 6th Oct 17, 9:58 PM
    • 4,401 Posts
    • 26,548 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Had some Christmas deliveries today - always nice when. They arrive when I am home rather than having to trek to sorting office or have them rearranged.

Also ordered my best friend and his wife a voucher deal for three course meal and a glass of wine each at Zizzi for £25 - wouldn't normally spend that much on them but it is besties 50th just before Christmas too and think they deserve a date night

I agree teens are difficult - doing I Tunes vouchers and chocolates I think for the two eldest ones in our family (17 and 14) as they both have IPhones. Need ideas for something for the 10 year old (boy) and 7 year old (girl)

The adults on other half's side are mostly sorted. Need something for both dad's and need for my brother

I always think with my list I am doing well but then thinking about it I still have plenty to get
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 6th Oct 17, 10:16 PM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 4,008 Thanks
    carlislelass
    Hoping for redelivery before Tuesday. Wouldn't mind but the original was marked FRAGILE
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 6th Oct 17, 11:08 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 24,394 Thanks
    sashanut
    Hi all

I am reading along as we all love Christmas in our house - it has even rubbed off on DD as she loves it as well..she has her own house but will be coming here as she is an emergency service worker & is at work on Christmas day...but not till 3pm so we can get a bit of festivity in beforehand hopefully.

Just a quick question as I am sure you lovely people will know - a little birdie told me that DD wants to take me to a Christmas market - probably in Europe - for my birthday (Nov). I've not been to one other than Switzerland, so can you recommend any places that are good to go please?? TIA if you can help, then I can feed the info to DH who can subtly suggest it
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • kpwll
    • By kpwll 7th Oct 17, 3:17 PM
    • 1,630 Posts
    • 3,544 Thanks
    kpwll
    Afternoon everyone, hope you're all well.

My daughter is driving me nuts!!! She keeps phoning/texting me asking me to guess how many sleeps til Xmas.
    I answer her 'Not enough'.

I'm sure you're all thinking 'Miserable grouch of a Mum'.

I really wouldn't mind but she's 36, lol.
    • cozicup
    • By cozicup 7th Oct 17, 3:40 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    cozicup
    I've got some gifts ordered already.

My mums (I class my partner's mum,brother & dad as mine too) and dads a £15 voucher
    Then i'll buy a small gift to go with it up to £25 in total for each - Usually i'd spend £10-£15 but they helped us out a lot with moving, troubled times and now with the engagement ... they've all had a tough year as well especially the mums.

my sister has small gifts, 2 books i purchased some months ago, a microwaveable heat minion plush, a feather dainty necklace and may get some sweets ect .

his brother i don't know what to get him
    Newly Engaged! 1/09/2017
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 7th Oct 17, 3:59 PM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 4,008 Thanks
    carlislelass
    Redelivery been, this time intact
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 7th Oct 17, 4:03 PM
    • 4,361 Posts
    • 42,325 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Hello all I'm hoping you wont mind me joining you, I only tend to find my way to this board at christmas time each year, as I spend the majority of my MSE time on the DFW board and marriages but I do LOVE christmas!

I also have a teen to buy for who thankfully did manage to give me a list, unfortunately it consisted of a Tommy Hilfiger watch and a load of Adidas stuff Soooo he is pretty much bought for but his money has literally stretched to 5 gifts and will be bulked out with a few sweets. DD is 9 and her entire christmas list has come to £80 for twice as much stuff and half of her stocking! (how I miss the eldest being small and cheap ) she is asking for a fitbit though and is currently agonising over whether to ask us or father christmas as she is very worried that if she asks us we might not be able to afford it, but if she asks Father Christmas he might not get it for her as he only get a couple of things off her list and he might not choose that . Feels a bit mad that she still semi believes in father christmas but wants something that will track her fitness So i'm now praying that one of the stores puts them on a deal before christmas

Others to buy for are the DH, 4 parents, 1 niece, 1 nephew, a sister and her husband. Am currently crocheting my mother a cardigan, veeeeeeery slowwwwly, and am a bit flummoxed by everyone else
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) 0/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 7th Oct 17, 4:57 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 12,869 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Oh, dear, l am another who forgot to wrap on Wednesday, and was going to make up for it tonight, but tonight isn't one of the 'group' ones.
    Although l have just about got all the adults bought for, but keep seeing little 'bits and pieces' that would just suit so-and-so. l don't know yet what the nibs want, l rely on my DDIL sending me a list but it doesn't arrive until November at the earliest.
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 7th Oct 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 12,869 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    oops, l didn't mean to press post, but l must have, glad to see that we are still having loads of lovely new posters, hope you stay, we are only mad about Christmas, and really quite sane about all else. l got DGS 2 lovely shirts, some knickers and a pair of slippers in the M&Spensive sale, and 2 pairs of jeans for DS2, hoping l can make them small enough to fit in their stockings, (some hope eh?)
    It has rained all day here, but now the sun has the nerve to show face, hope it lasts till tomorrow, as l am determined to get the garden tidied up before the end of this month. My decluttering is still ongoing and my resolution to complete one item of repair, completion, or remaking a day is going ok, (7 a week, all in one day today, 6 pairs of jeans/trousers altered to fit, and the magnetic closure on my phone case reglued ). Now if l could be as disciplined in the weight loss area l'd have it cracked!
    • mandco
    • By mandco 7th Oct 17, 5:58 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 8,925 Thanks
    mandco

I need to think about food for this party which you are all invited to by the way,and food for Christmas.NO WAY can chocolates be purchased beforehand as they wouldn't see Christmas.I have in the past kept a box of food at my Mum's so the gannets can't get at it.

Vx
    Originally posted by vulpix
    I now keep the edibles I know otherwise wouldn't make it to xmas in a locked suitcase stops prying eyes and if they can't see it they can't raid it wasn't quick enough with the choc oranges the other week so dd swiped those

welcome newbies everyone's welcome the more the merrier

Nic the penguin game sounds fun will have to keep an eye open

sammy hope your feeling better

kpwll lol at dd its 79 days just incase you forgot

Coxy & anyone else with teens to buy for I usually do either cash or voucher with a small token gift depending on what they are into. Cash is usually the most appreciated even if you don't really like giving it
    cinema gift card
    bowling gift card
    itunes vouchers are a hit if they have any i devices even better if you can find a deal on them

For my older ones I've done annual cinema passes & beauty box subscriptions before I pay each month rather than upfront but the present then last all year and saves me money in the long run.
    For younger ones alot of soft play places offer similar deals I'm thinking of getting dgd one for xmas as she doesn't really need more toys
    Last edited by mandco; 07-10-2017 at 6:31 PM.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 7th Oct 17, 8:13 PM
    • 2,721 Posts
    • 16,790 Thanks
    nic2075
    Mandco- The penguin pass he parcel was where the crackers and cards are in The Range. Any excuse to get a christmas tune on and play a game with the family lol.
    • whitesatin
    • By whitesatin 7th Oct 17, 10:23 PM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 5,778 Thanks
    whitesatin
    Picked up a 900 piece Lego set for £18 for my grandsons having seen the deal online. Over the years I have gone OTT and pretended that Santa came to my house too but I think I will cut back a bit on the pile of presents this year. Maybe just one big (ish) gift for my six year old and eight year old grandsons and the same for my (by then) 9 year old granddaughter. They all still believe but not sure how long for. My two little grandsons are too young at (by then) 2 and (almost) 3 to know how OTT I once was. It's difficult but with the extended family, they get so much "stuff" and it can't go on or they will run out of space. I know I've got some "bargains" in the loft I've collected in the sales but I will definitely cut back this year and make that the new rule. I am going to go more for "experiences" than toys, e.g. take them places.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 7th Oct 17, 11:15 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 15,341 Thanks
    Peppapig
    VULPIX/MANDCO in our house the Christmas chocs have to be protected from me!

STOKIE I know what you mean, I feel like I'm making real progress then I check the list and realise I've still got lots to get.

SASHANUT if you scroll back a few weeks you should find some posts about Christmas markets that might help you because we did have quite a chat about them.

KPWLL my DD is the same but so am so it's ok

CARLISLELASS glad your parcel was ok this time.

JAKESMUM your daughter sounds lovely. If you do spot the Fitbit on offer do let me know.

Hope you get your garden tidied MRSI, we were lucky today as it didn't rain til about half past four.

WHITESATIN that sounds a sensible way forward. Can I ask where you saw the lego deal?

Been watching QVC on and off today but just bought the led lights on thin wire because I left it too late last year and missed them.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 8th Oct 17, 12:37 AM
    • 10,325 Posts
    • 19,025 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Hi all!
    Well Iím pretty much done! Not much left to get. Have sat and wrapped everything and written cards out tonight. Iíve spent what I think is an obscene amount of money although when Iíve worked it out itís actually pretty much the same as previous years. Usually I buy mum and dad lots of little presents but mum told me just to buy one each this year. Pretty relieved as mum especially is so hard to buy for! Iíve actually bought them both two presents each- one Ďbigí present and a little present each. Iíve gone OTT on OH again but only because he doesnít get many presents as he doesnít speak to his family. He usually gets a gift from his brother and his wife and his nephews but thatís it: me and mum always try to make sure he has plenty of gifts. Iím off to London next week- just need to get OH the tea from Fortnumís and Harrods that he likes and tea, biccies and a mug from Harrods for my friendís hamper and Iím sorted. All ready to be transported home in 6 weeks.

What Iíve bought so far:
    Mum- £50 Theatre Royal voucher (buying this was a nightmare as my card kept getting declined- rang bank to find out they had blocked my card because for some reason they think Lush is fraudulent- not the first time itís happened! The voucher was sent to my email so will literally just be a piece of paper- Iím going to put it in an envelope and wrap it nicely, just worried it wonít look much) Dove set from Boots

Dad: A bottle of Jamesonís Black Barrel Irish Whisky. He loves Irish Whisky but only ever gets it as a gift- this cost £48 so I hope he likes it! I bought it from the Whisky Shop in Nottingham and they gave me a copy of their Whisky magazine worth £3.50 with it- I also got a set of Whisky miniatures free in the Boots 3 for 2 so Iíve wrapped it cleverly- laid the box down with the magazine underneath and the minis around it. Iíve also got him some gentle grip socks.

Sister- PJís from Sainsburyís sale
    BIL- Baylis and Harding sport smelly set from Boundary Mills
    Nephews 1 and 2- Jack Wills body spray and body wash sets from Boots
    Step-niece- Jack Wills minis tin from Boots

OH- has had his main present, a Dyson vacuum as we didnít have a working vacuum cleaner! Heís also got a Leicester Tigers rugby shirt, a Tigers mug, some Dove for Men stuff, a u2 tour mug and iíll be getting him some tea from Harrods and Fortnums. Iím hoping to get him a half season ticket to the Tigers as well, if not will get him a couple of tickets to random matches.

Best mate- is obsessed with Lush Snow Fairy so always gets loads of it at Xmas. I will make her up a hamper- I have the contents which consists of:
    2 x 500 ml bottles Snow Fairy shower gel
    2 Make a Wish Snow Fairy bubble Wands
    Snow Fairy gift set- 100ml shower gel and bath jelly
    Snow Fairy soap
    Snow Fairy body conditioner (it was buying the last few things online that the bank didnít seem to like- the young lad in the call centre who sorted it thought it was hilarious- he said maybe the system didnít like the smell I did find it funny once he assured me the order was fine and heíd unblocked my card)
    Friend from rugby- 3 x Jack Wills body sprays
    Friend from church who lives in my street- Harrods and Fortnums tea bags, biccies and mug in a hamper
    The rugby player I sponsor: Stella Artois gift tin from Boots and a Mo Bros beard care kit (from a little stall in Leicester Highcross. I think itís pretty awesome!)

I donít know why I just donít seem to be feeling Christmas this year! I may do once I get past my graduation on November 16 I think.
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! ❤️DMU MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and pleased to be sponsor for the 2nd season ❤️ 🐝
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 8th Oct 17, 7:51 AM
    • 3,063 Posts
    • 19,297 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    Morning all
    Finally feeling more human thank goodness......

Welcome to all the newbies!

Redelivery been, this time intact
    Originally posted by carlislelass
    Im glad you have had an intact redelivery.

I also have a teen to buy for who thankfully did manage to give me a list, unfortunately it consisted of a Tommy Hilfiger watch and a load of Adidas stuff

So i'm now praying that one of the stores puts them on a deal before christmas
    Originally posted by jakes-mum
    That sounds exactly like my 13 year old sons list....I think his is going to look like nothing compared to my daughter because he wants clothes and giftcards.....Also I work in a well known high street catalogue shop and know that FitBits generally get discounted before Christmas in our electronics sale....worth just checking them now and again but if I hear when the sale date is I will post a little reminder.

Mum- £50 Theatre Royal voucher (buying this was a nightmare as my card kept getting declined- rang bank to find out they had blocked my card because for some reason they think Lush is fraudulent- not the first time itís happened! The voucher was sent to my email so will literally just be a piece of paper- Iím going to put it in an envelope and wrap it nicely, just worried it wonít look much)
    Originally posted by Mrs_Ryan
    I had this when I brought my son wrestling tickets and my husband a magazine subscription. I wrote in a nice card the gift I had got them, then found a box, filled it with polystyrene, put the card in there and wrapped it. That way you can always just keep the piece of paper but she will know what her gift is in a pretty card.

I've been sat going over my Christmas swaps last night, trying to find a list of things you can and cant send to the US. I have a bauble swap with two people - one in Canada and one in Alaska and then am making a gift box for a family in Texas should mean my decorating style is very mixed this year but I love it and the idea of decorations from all over the world on the tree.

I think I have an idea for my husbands Xmas presents now though - in fact I have a list I only ever tend to think of one or two things for him but am getting there this year. He needs a new bike jacket though so that will be his main present since hes found one he likes and he has a thing for flat caps so that will be another thing on his list. My daughter is finished other than finding her a TV or computer monitor for her to play her games on.

I don't know that reminded me but I need to do a gas meter reading :-/

Baking today now I've blitzed the kitchen and have the day off - we are heading to my mother in laws though because Ben needs to print off homework later. Then back in work 3 days this week. Hoping the christmas hours pick up soon! and might have a nose at QVC later

Have a good day all.

Sammy
    x x x
    Feeling human for the first time in 4 years
    ....Thats Christmas To Me.....
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 8th Oct 17, 8:33 AM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 12,869 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Mrs Ryan, l also have this present problem every year with hotel reservation for DDIL, one year l framed it in a home made padded frame, so she could put a photo or whatever in it afterwards, another time l made a folder for it and made a 'an award for an awesome lady' on the front, last year l put it in a roll and wrapped it round a bottle of wine in a wine tube from poundland. hope this helps.
    Sammy kaye, some flat caps in M&Spensives sale, 60% off, if you like them.
    Looks as though it is not raining at the moment, so l am going to make my coffee and take it outside with me, while l start the 'tidy up marathon'. how many sleeps till the big day? ooooooh not so many xx
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 8th Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    • 3,063 Posts
    • 19,297 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    how many sleeps till the big day? ooooooh not so many xx
    Originally posted by mrsinvisible

77 days , 15hours and 34 minutes to be precise!

Thanks for the flat cap tip too! will have a look
    Feeling human for the first time in 4 years
    ....Thats Christmas To Me.....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,112Posts Today

7,023Users online

Martin's Twitter