Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,150Posts
    • 12,376Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £510 (as at 30th July)
Page 73
    • kabinsons1
    • By kabinsons1 5th Oct 17, 2:54 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    kabinsons1
    In Christmas week I and my family going to visit Solana Beach and their we fun so much. The Christmas party we enjoyed so much whole night.
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 5th Oct 17, 3:55 PM
    • 2,613 Posts
    • 34,706 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone, sorry I totally forgot about the wrapping party as well
    CURRENTLY READING SUMMER AT THE COMFORT CAFE -
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £115
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £570/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • pawlala
    • By pawlala 5th Oct 17, 3:59 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 3,244 Thanks
    pawlala
    I got ideal home tickets today, never been before so excited. Is it worth getting excited about.. anyone been?
    Mortgage free: New Year's Eve 2013!
    Mortgage free II: Est. Dec 2019
    • Taplledraw
    • By Taplledraw 5th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    Taplledraw
    I do love Christmas and accidentally put out some reduced Christmas syish cushions I bought yesterday after all robins are around all year and it seems a waste to wait until the rest of the decorations are up. I will make some Christmas material cushion covers to go with the rest but resist putting them on till nearer the date. We will be getting the decorations down from the loft at the end of this month as we go away mid November so I am thinking they could go up before we go, due to my and my late mother and Grandmothers liking for Christmas (and me now having all the decs) it takes me three days to get them up (Some are tatty but loved two of the fairies are almost of pensionable age I think) Do you think I could decorate our village Hall at the beginning of November as some groups will not meet in December or is this just too early and I will get shouted at?? Thoughts please..it is known throughout the village that if you stand still near me at Christmas you may get decorated animals included!
    • Taplledraw
    • By Taplledraw 5th Oct 17, 4:04 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    Taplledraw
    I got ideal home tickets today, never been before so excited. Is it worth getting excited about.. anyone been?
    Originally posted by pawlala
    Yes and Yes not for the last year though . Lots of Christmas music , loads of decorations to look at, recipes to watch, food and gifts to buy or memorise and recreate at home!, trees to stand in and have your photo taken . get the goodie bag if there is one too it was good the year we went. You will love it sadly no time to go this year. oh and watch on the website for competitions you can enter before you go. I took Christmas themed sandwiches with us as I am gluten free and then we could eat them whilst watching something which saved time and money. There are plenty of food outlets, ohh and fake snow as you are going in to put you further in the mood and of course some of the stalls smell of Christmas!
    Last edited by Taplledraw; 05-10-2017 at 4:07 PM.
    • pawlala
    • By pawlala 5th Oct 17, 4:32 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 3,244 Thanks
    pawlala
    sounds good, thanks. I missed out on tickets last year so was determined to get some this. I'm thinking the kids will love it!
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 5th Oct 17, 5:26 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 8,376 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    Looks like things might finally be happening in the moving front, watch this space. All I want for Christmas is a new home
    COMPETITION WINS 2017
    game/switch, 4 cycles, bbq, garden set, fridge/cooler, 2 micro scooters, 4 hampers, 2 pairs shoes, terrarium, 2 magazine subscriptions, bee, bug and butterfly houses, doll, sylvanian families sets, bluetooth speaker, sodastream, £100 magazine comp, The Girl From The Tyne novel, 2 pairs sunglasses
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 5th Oct 17, 8:38 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 14,800 Thanks
    vulpix
    Good news,at last gyd

I have wrapped everything I have for DD2,about 6 things.There is a mug but I have forgotten where I have hidden it!

Vx
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 6th Oct 17, 12:04 AM
    • 1,085 Posts
    • 14,477 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Good news GYD, fingers still crossed for you.

Welcome to all the newbies.

FREE we're hopeless lol

Had a really good time at yoga this morning, will def be going regularly. My yoga mat was waiting for me when I got home. Took DH for afternoon tea this afternoon as a late birthday treat (Groupon offer) so no diy got done today .

Hoping for some interesting stuff on the QVC Christmas weekend and then need to get cracking on the pressie buying next week. For some reason I'm not tired tonight so trying not to do any late night shopping!
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • pawlala
    • By pawlala 6th Oct 17, 8:08 AM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 3,244 Thanks
    pawlala
    Picked up a £10 bottle of bristol cream from T, that'll go down well with santa (et.al )
    • dramarama
    • By dramarama 6th Oct 17, 8:24 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 1,339 Thanks
    dramarama
    Morning everyone! Hope you're all well.
    Just popping in to say that Superdrug have Terry's Choc oranges for £1 and I think B&M may also be selling them at the same price. I've also seen some good half price cartons of choc. Tesco also had some tins of shortbread for £3.

I've bought a few bits...must resist eating all the choccies!
    Married in 2016. Bought our first home in 2017. Expecting our first baby in November 2017

Frugal & thrifty as much as possible.
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 6th Oct 17, 11:02 AM
    • 846 Posts
    • 11,521 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    sammy thanks for the heads up about chocs at Morrisons, I’m hoping to make a trip there soon. Fingers crossed you get your money! Fab bargain with the Minecraft game!

mandco I really hate it when parcels get left on the doorstep, not only can they get stolen but it advertises that you’re not in. I had a Next directory left on my doorstep whilst on holiday once – I was not happy! I agree on getting through the day, sometimes it’s enough just to survive the day especially now Wiggle is a threenager!!

Taplledraw I would put the decs up so everyone can enjoy them but not everyone thinks like us!

GITYD fingers crossed for moving!

I’ve just got back from The Range and I know you’ll know what I’m talking about when I say that I nearly burst with excitement! I literally put my hands to my cheeks in pure happiness, before pulling myself together as there were people around behaving much more normally! The downside was DH was with me as we were there to exchange a lamp, he had to get back to work so I couldn’t really have a good look so I have to go back on my own very soon. The only question I have to my fellow Christmas nuts is how on earth do we not buy everything in there??? I did get little festive tin with mints in to go in my dad's stocking - anyone that spends Christmas at my house gets a stocking!

As I said yesterday I need to start wrapping little and often, so yesterday when Squeak was having a nap I put Christmas with the Kranks on and wrapped a few presents. The only problem is I love wrapping my presents when all the decs are up and it feels really festive but I can’t leave it that late. I might have to make myself a hot chocolate next time and drape a bit of tinsel over myself!
    • mandco
    • By mandco 6th Oct 17, 12:15 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 8,761 Thanks
    mandco
    GinaYD fingers crossed for the move

Princesskitty I wish my budget matched my I'd love to buy list when it comes to the range they have some beautiful stuff this year. I do really like the birch effect sleigh they have

M&S had a lovely white stag head lidded jar of chocolates pricey at £12 though you could use it all year round as not specifically xmassy.
    Picked up some of the 1/2 price shortbread and they had the xmas themed percy pig sweets in so picked up a couple of packs as last year they were like gold dust

Wilko are getting in on the mse xmas gifts ideas they had jars with xmas characters on filled with hot choc mix ect eg snowman soup £5 and cake in a jar sets £4.50

some of the tubes of sweets are 75p- £1 elsewhere but every little helps

they also had packs of 12 mason type jars for £4 fill with sweets ect would make a nice cheap gift -
    http://www.wilko.com/glassware/wilko-drinking-jars-12pk/invt/0429984
    Might get some and put gift cards in the middle for the older ones I buy for - I usually get them a gift card & a token gift

anyone ever brought the pet parcels from pets at home? basically a mystery box filled with treats/toys they have a xmas themed one so debating getting one for chewie

sains have the xmas food to order book in they have a choc tiffin wreath this year which looks good and a bit different to the usual offerings.
    Sains are doing the swipe & win bonus points this weekend good way to bump your balance before xmas
    Last edited by mandco; 06-10-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 6th Oct 17, 12:16 PM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 18,959 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    Not much from me today because I had a shocking day in work yesterday and its left me with an almighty stress headache.

Holly has an inset day today but my SIL has offered to take her out to a play centre with my nephew for a few hours so I have taken painkillers and will go and cuddle up on the sofa with Nicky for a few hours although must remember i just put sausages in for sausage casserole......tbh might just turn them off and reheat at 2 instead.....
    Back working and happy in my job
    ....Working on becoming Me ....
    Working on a Credit Rating!
    • kabinsons1
    • By kabinsons1 6th Oct 17, 12:22 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    kabinsons1
    Behind the Christmas book I try to understand what was there. Always asking the story is so beautiful and charming me.
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 6th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    • 2,613 Posts
    • 34,706 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone, I really really really really want to go to The Range this weekend but will have to dose up on painkillers if I do.

PEPPAPIG I am not impressed with qvc so far, there hasn't been anything that has caught my eye.

GIRLINAYELLOWDRESS yayy glad it has started moving along

PRINCESSKITTY haha you did make me giggle the thought of you with the tinsel around your neck and a hot chocolate

MANDCO ooh I like the sound of the white stags head jar will have to have a look. Mmm chocolate tiffin wreath my lot would love that

SAMMYKAYE I hope your headache goes after a few hours sleep
    CURRENTLY READING SUMMER AT THE COMFORT CAFE -
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £115
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £570/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 6th Oct 17, 4:31 PM
    • 2,100 Posts
    • 25,741 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hi everyone - mind if I join you?
    I have made a slow start to buying this year, although I do have ideas (mainly for the adults though). I really struggle with the teens - I have nephews of 17 and 18 and a niece of 13. Don't just want to give money.....
    Last Christmas was awful for us as my other nephew died at the end of November and the funeral was 30 Dec. We just got through Christmas as best we could but I want to make it special this year if I can. My children are 18, 16 and 13 and they are good at letting me know if there's anything special they would like (within reason!).
    Thanks for the heads up about the HB candles. I got the gingerbread one and the apple cinnamon this morning. They are such good value and the scent last for ages. I also got some gift bags in HB. No Range near me unfortunately Was tempted to get the half price shortbread tin in M&S but it will only be us eating it - there's no one I can gift it to.
    What size are the choc boxes in Morries, do you know? Wondering whether to pay a visit - the car park is really small and our car is quite big, so could prove stressful for a bargain lol!
    Have bought tickets to see Paul Weller for DH and I (O2 in March) as we don't really buy for each other. Got 2 yo nephews present in Mothercare this morning. Its the happy street train set. £25 half price - who would pay £50 I don't know... Anyway, that's a couple off my list.
    Coxy x
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Gingerbread Trio by Little House Needleworks
    • lizalexander
    • By lizalexander 6th Oct 17, 5:06 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    lizalexander
    Anyone looking for the cocktail baubles in Morrisons - I have just seen that they are also selling them in Sainsburys.
    £5 each so a little more expensive as not on offer - but might help someone out if struggling to get them
    Liz x
    Comp Wins 2014 - £200 Thats Life Mag Win
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 6th Oct 17, 5:14 PM
    • 2,706 Posts
    • 16,558 Thanks
    nic2075
    Just a heads up on the Morrisons choc deal. I seen on a Frugal group im in that they are smaller tubs than Tesco, which are £1.50 each. Apparently Tesco is a better deal going by the bigger packs you get. I havnt looked into it myself.

I got a cute little penguin pass the parcel game from The Range today. I keep popping in to see if they have the Elf bed in stock. Its a little tissue paper penguin that you take a layer off and there are prizes. The prizes are like cracker prizes, but it looks like a bit of fun for the xmas dinner table.
    I managed to leave without buying any other xmas decs, go me :-)
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 6th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 3,939 Thanks
    carlislelass
    Had a Christmas delivery only to find one box nearly squashed in half, contents smashed and leaking. First time I've ever had problems.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

644Posts Today

6,130Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin