Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,168Posts
    • 12,566Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ĎWell I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmasí

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
Page 72
    • kabinsons1
    • By kabinsons1 4th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    kabinsons1
    In this week we go out from home with family and enjoy the Christmas day so much. In midnight we arrange a programme and it continue so on.
    • Snorkypants
    • By Snorkypants 4th Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    Snorkypants
    Mandco - weights under a tree skirt is a brilliant idea! I don't have a tree skirt but I do have a sewing machine and endless optermism

I've bought a gravy boat off ebay to match my plates etc - never needed one before!
    Emergency Fund Challenge Member #138 - £1000/£1000
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 4th Oct 17, 3:25 PM
    • 2,659 Posts
    • 35,270 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone,

SNORKYPANTS yes it does sound nice doesn't it, I can wait to smell the crackling fire one

PEPPAPIG oh I do love the sound of your market stalls they sound fab! Your DD must be shattered all those hours she is working bless her

MANDCO ooh my lot would love that wrapping paper thanks for the heads up on the plastic boxes at asda I need one to put my Christmas food bits in. Nice bargain on the game

SAMMYKAYE oh dear hopefully she will pay you back before she starts spending the rest. Glad Nicky is settling in with the other dogs

GIRLINAYELLOWDRESS I hope things start moving soon so you can settle before Christmas. The cocktail baubles looked fab!

LMG its better when everyone has a budget then there is no awkward surprises

PRINCESSKITTY it must be a man thing as my DD2 OH asked for a Dyson last Christmas I never even thought about peer pressure and the elf you are so right, I would love to have done it when my kids were small but like you I don't know if I would have had the energy to keep it going. MANDCOs idea of not doing it every day sounds a lot better than having to think about it every night. I have started reading Christmas books on my kindle now as well, I love it, it makes me feel very festive

STOKIEBECKS hello and welcome, funnily enough I fancy a change this year on my tree colours

LAZYSHEEP ooh will look out for that on qvc thanks

VULPIX glad you had a lovely weekend away and that you are pleased with the new car. I love going to GC at this time of year when all the Christmas bits are out

PINKANGEL hello and welcome will have to go and have a look at M&S now thanks

CURRENTLY READING THE LITTLE WEDDING SHOP BY THE SEA - JANE LINFOOT
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £135
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £590/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 4th Oct 17, 3:29 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 8,807 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    Heads up to anyone else waiting, my gin baubles arrived today, 2 boxes. What with them and the cocktail baubles on offer in m0rissons I won't care about the bloomin contacts being exchanged on the house. I'll be having a very merry Christmas.
    Drink responsibly girls!
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 4th Oct 17, 3:39 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 8,807 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    GYD keeping everything crossed for your completion date and Wow to your competition wins, you must be very dedicated to doing them, how many do you do?
    Originally posted by Peppapig

I do a fair few, I buy the real cheap magazines where I get most of my wins from, but only the ones under a pound as I don't read them. My mums friends all cut the comps out of their mags as well. Then it's just the odd comps on FB, twitter etc. Sometimes if I win money I'll save some for "something special" and the rest will go on stamps. Oh and I do online comps when im up at stupid o'clock and cannot sleep. x
    • treeny_bash
    • By treeny_bash 4th Oct 17, 4:24 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 1,015 Thanks
    treeny_bash
    Hi everyone :waves:

I'm getting really excited about Christmas this year - we're hosting for the first time, and there'll be 8 people here on Christmas Day! 4 people staying in my house, 1 visiting probably just for Christmas Day and another 3 and a dog here for most of Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day I expect. Then the 2 staying will leave on Boxing Day, and I've got another 2 and another dog here for 3 days after that! It's going to be insane!

We moved into our house from a tiny flat 4 months ago, and we're just about sorted, I've got a new sofa arriving next week so there'll be places for people to sit, I've decided I'm going to need an extra fridge/freezer for the garage so going to look at them tonight, and I'll need an extra couple of dining chairs because I've only got 6! OH's mum has very kindly given me a dinner set that she's collected from various charity shops so I've got all my crockery sorted, and I've just ordered a nice table runner, some matching napkin rings and an led string to decorate the table, but I'm trying not to get too carried away because OH will want to get involved in some of the decisions (if I let him haha!)

My parent's church are putting on a Christmas craft fair at the start of Nov, so I'm busy making stuff for that right now - I work remotely and I'm really struggling to concentrate on work when I could be making decorations for my stall.....

Anyway, sorry for the essay! Looking forward to getting to know you all and getting all your Christmassy tips!

Speak soon

K
    x
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 4th Oct 17, 4:52 PM
    • 3,063 Posts
    • 19,295 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    I happened to catch that QVC will have a Christmas weekend this weekend, starting at midnight Thursday (or Friday depending on how you look at it) and lasting the whole 3 days
    Originally posted by lazysheep
    So guess what me and my daughter will be watching on Friday when she has an inset day!

Didn't know this place was here but just stumbled across and as I am super excited for Christmas just thought I would say hello
    Originally posted by StokieBecks
    Welcome aboard Stokie!

I had a post on my facebook this morning that Asda are doing a cheese advent calendar - I am seriously contimplating buying one for my father in law. I brought my mother in law a candle one last year which she enjoyed.
    I am currently trying to decide what advent calendars to buy the kids and Owen this year.....although sat waiting to go into work and hubby has just text to say he has to travel up to Gloucester now as there has been a bereavement so I will come home later and do some more competitions in peace whilst the kids do their homework
    Sold my steam mop for £27 as well so will be trying my best to keep that if I can. and hopefully I will get the £100 back form my sister in law.
    Also sold a food processor so will have another £10 shortly as well :-) I also have a sewing machine and a mannequin to put up as well.

*****Well I forgot I wrote this to post as hubby ran in as he was en route to Gloucester and so now I am catching up*****

I've decided my decorating theme this year is going to be black and silver to go with my living room so I looked in B&M and found two silver nutcracker men that are £5.99 each, two silver glittery stags and a packet of 30 black silver and grey baubles so I think that will be my Christmas treat to myself once funds allow it.

Typically sister in law put a stop to my plans. Still no money.....and she has now decided to buy my nephew a stretch ninja turtle from B&M ----- so I had planned to use my vouchers and now it means they are freed up but I am back to square one with a gift for him.

I don't do well spending money on myself though.....any ideas for £15......although now I m thinking about it - my daughter wants a minecraft game and that is only £16.99 in my work at the minute..... my sister in law went over and picked up the 2 for £20 B&M stuff for my mother in law for Holly too so that is two more things off her list and if I get the game then I am practically done for her

GITYD - I love competitions too. I have had a bit of success but took a break from it this year because the computer sometimes sends me a bit wonky and dizzy with my menieres disease. Do you use a specific site for them or do you stick to FB and twitter ones mainly? I have a couple that I use but I am getting back into it slowly but surely. Ill happily tag you on some facebook ones if you want me to add you x
    Feeling human for the first time in 4 years
    ....Thats Christmas To Me.....
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 4th Oct 17, 8:17 PM
    • 812 Posts
    • 15,273 Thanks
    vulpix
    Mr V also told me about the cheese advent calendar,think it was a hint.I did more than hint about Gin Baubles but I wont hold my breath.

My friend received a Dyson one year from her OH,she cried.

Have I got my dates wrong? Is it wrapping tonight?

Vx
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 4th Oct 17, 8:31 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 8,807 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    Vulpix I just looked back and 0462... had posted these dates

Weds 4th October
    Saturday 28th October
    Wednesday 8th November
    Saturday 25th November
    Wednesday 6th December
    Saturday 9th December
    Wednesday 13th December

Hope this helps x
    • cozicup
    • By cozicup 4th Oct 17, 9:55 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    cozicup
    I got my budget sorted out for this month and I've got £300 to use for Christmas.

I'm hoping to spend the minimal amount as I need to save for a new house/ emergency fund / a wedding .

I'm stuck on ideas for joint adult gifts and what to buy my boyfriend...
    Newly Engaged! 1/09/2017
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 5th Oct 17, 7:27 AM
    • 4,398 Posts
    • 26,492 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Hi cozicup - last year we included a voucher for a coffee shop chain in the joint adult gifts which was well received. Or perhaps a voucher towards a meal out/cinema depending on interests, a treat they might not normally go for if on a strict budget - we put them in money wallets and wrapped them so still looked a nice gift.

I have a day off today so might make a few more Christmas cards.

Hope everyone is well.
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 5th Oct 17, 8:16 AM
    • 812 Posts
    • 15,273 Thanks
    vulpix
    Thanks GYD, hope you get a move date soon.

That's a great idea to give a voucher for coffee or something like that.I am stuck in the old fashioned idea that gifts need to be "stuff".I suppose with a small family like mine ,we would have very few pressies to open on Christmas morning if I gave vouchers. I will keep that idea in mind for next year though.

I have had a good sort out of my wrapping,ribbon and tags drawer.I have also wrapped 12 chocolate oranges in brown paper.I need to make their pipe cleaner antlers and stick them on along with googly eyes and a red pompom nose.Bit of a tradition for me to give chocolate oranges wrapped like that.

Doing that Christmas wrapping took an hour so it's made me think I need to do more.Little and often is the way to go I think.

Off to craft club shortly.I am making a Christmas Tree piece of bunting which will be combined for the churches Christmas Tree festival.I don't like it and am having all sorts of problems with it. I think it's because I didn't choose it myself.I must get it finished today then I can do my own thing.

I made a white table cloth yesterday from a piece of white sheeting my Mother gave me.I have loads of white cloths but none were big enough for this table.I want to make a Christmas Tree skirt next in white and silver for my Dining room tree. Saw a nice silver sequin one in B&M for £10 which is very reasonable but it would be much too big for my space. I couldn't make one for that price and the sequin material is a beggar to sew. I am still lusting after Muries sequin table cloth.

Vx
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 5th Oct 17, 8:55 AM
    • 4,398 Posts
    • 26,492 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Vulpix I agree with you about the wrapping + usually when I sit down to do some it takes so long I get bored. Always say I will wrap as I go but never do

Like your idea for the chocolate oranges sounds great to turn them into rudolph
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 5th Oct 17, 8:59 AM
    • 3,506 Posts
    • 15,255 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    I will catch up properly, but just to let you know that my wrapping preparation on Tuesday was disastrous, so I didn't join in last night

I ordered some prints which I thought would be great, they were £15 each or £160 framed, was not paying that much so ordered frames from the bay of fleas, which were £16 each, so much more MSE! They are A1 size, so pretty good value. Anyway, battled to get the plastic film of the "glass", well perspex, laid on floor, placed print in frame only to discover one of them has been a bit less than truthful and the the flipping print is about 20mm too wide. Was seriously unhappy as I will now have to get the print trimmed.

Was so annoyed, thought I would get that sorted on Tuesday, join in the wrapping yesterday and I would have a couple of more presents finished
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 5th Oct 17, 9:09 AM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 15,285 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Oh no, I'm so hopeless I completely forgot about wrapping last night Right I'm going to put those dates in my diary so I don't miss the next one. How is it going to work? Do we wrap and post as we go?

Welcome Newbies.

I'm supposed to be going to yoga for the first time this morning and my mat hasn't arrived so have to go now and see if I can find something else or I won't be able to go. Back later.....
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 5th Oct 17, 9:50 AM
    • 853 Posts
    • 11,633 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    freepsirit Iím not sure what my DH would make of it if I bought him a Dyson for Christmas!

girlinayellowdress those baubles sound fab! I love doing comps but I donít win anything very often!

Welcome treeny! Wow youíve got a busy house at Christmas! Iím going to have 6 adults and 2 young children Christmas day and Boxing Day and I thought that was busy!

sammy youíre new decorating theme sounds lovely. I do hope you get the £100 back from your SiL soon, she shouldnít really be spending money if she owes you.

cozicup I made some couples a movie hamper one year that included chocolate, popcorn, drinks and either a cinema voucher or 3 month LoveFilm voucher. Iíd imagine a coffee shop chain voucher would go down well as Stokie said.

vulpix wrapping always takes me longer than I think, I really need to get started now Iíve got two littlies. I remember leaving it till December after I had Wiggle and it ended up being really stressful! Iím hoping if I start now and do it little and often like you then itíll be a pleasure rather than a chore.

GTQ that is so annoying, itís frustrating when something arrives and isnít as described.

Iíve just dropped Wiggle off at pre-school and Squeak is having a sleep. I really want to get on with Christmas stuff but my kitchen is a right mess! Thatíll teach me for not doing it the night before, but sometimes after having the children all day I just want to sit down!
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 5th Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    • 4,398 Posts
    • 26,492 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Getting there I ordered prints too that were on offer and bought frames from wilko. I too had to trim down my print to fit the frame grrrr. Sitting making Christmas cards. Happy today
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 5th Oct 17, 10:52 AM
    • 3,063 Posts
    • 19,295 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    Just popping in to give a quick head s up for Christmas stock cupboards that

MORRISONS have 4 boxes of chocolates (ie Roses, Quality Street, Celebrations etc) on off 4 boxes for £5 - ideal fro teacher gifts or to put into Christmas bags......or even donate.

Still no luck with the money from SIL - asked husband about it today and apparently she is giving it to me today. at some point. we'll see..

currently updating my Xmas lists

worked out that if I use the £15 voucher I won in work for doing well with a mystery shopper - and use it on my daughters xbox minecraft game - the game is £16.99 - with my 10% off it becomes £15.29 so I will have to pay the grand total of 29p and that is the last thing on her list bar a build a bear voucher which I might see if my dad will get her - and a TV which is her main gift but I am looking on Shpock and selling sites first

right off to do some housework
    Feeling human for the first time in 4 years
    ....Thats Christmas To Me.....
    • mandco
    • By mandco 5th Oct 17, 2:23 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 8,921 Thanks
    mandco
    not happy with royal fail today. Had to swap shifts at work as taz has an inset day tomorrow so knew I would probably miss my delivery not a problem as I have something to pick up from the depot anyway. Missed a text mid morning to say my parcel has been delivered and left in my nominated safe space - I don't have one got home and it had been left on the doorstep and gawd know what the scrawl on the missed parcel card is meant to say its totally unreadable they didn't even fill in any of the details.

On the plus side said parcel contained a discount voucher for the advent calendar dd wants for xmas making it a bit more reasonable so I'll get her that as her main gift.

gotta read back catch up in a bit hopefully
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • mandco
    • By mandco 5th Oct 17, 2:54 PM
    • 688 Posts
    • 8,921 Thanks
    mandco
    Vuplix taz is 5 they certainly grow up too quick it makes me sad that he's my last one so trying to keep hold of the magic as long as possible though he did ask me if santa was real this week

GinaYD The gin/cocktail baubles sound great no morries near me though & they don't deliver here either. you seem to be doing well on the wins this year I always mean to enter more comps but usually forget

Treeny sounds like you've got a house full this year should be fun just try not to exhaust yourself doing everything

sammy thanks for the heads up on the chocs. Great when you can pick up gifts for virtually nothing I have some points on my boots card which will pay for a few bits actually I might buy myself something from the kids

GTQ how frustrating with the prints really annoying when things aren't what they are meant to be esp if it ends up costing more time/money. Hope they aren't to much hassle to get sorted

princesskitty - next time put your feet up for 10 mins the house work can wait kids are exhausting at times - some days just getting through the day in one piece is an achievement

I'd better shoot and get taz tc all
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

280Posts Today

1,142Users online

Martin's Twitter